My cat plays fetch

Cecil20

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is this common?

He likes to drop his fluffy ball toy on top of me when I'm on the sofa, I throw it, he chases it and he runs back and drops it again. Twenty to thirty times in a session. I've never had a cat that's done this before. It's really cute.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as fetching, in my experience, its not common. I've had several cats that would mostly bring the toy back a few times, but in typical cat fashion, decide to do something else with it relatively quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think it’s rare. Most of my cats, 7 or so, have all played fetch. Most I taught but a couple learned the game nearly spontaneously requiring just a single toss of their toy before they figure out if they return it I will toss again. The others required weeks or months of me tossing and then retrieving their favorite toy before they caught on. It is a great game for exercise and a cats self confidence.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I once had a cat who 'fetched'! He was a stray, about 6 months old when he came to me. I just happened one day to throw a toy his way, and he brought it back to me!! Tawny and I played that game for years and years. After his passing (:sniffle:), I tried that with my subsequent cats, and that would be a "No Go". It might be a 'trainable' thing, but I sure have never figured it out. My other cats looked at me as if to say "Uh, what???".

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so cute.

My Graham does that once in a while when she is in the mood. I call her my dog cat. She is probably a dog from another lifetime, or actually a dog in this present life. Only that one way or another there was some mishap and she was given the body of a cat. :lol:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My current girl was one of my cats that I tried to teach the game for months but all I got was a blank look. I finally just got tired of trying and gave up. Then one day about a year later she dropped a soaking wet fuzzy ball in my lap and stared at me. I threw it and darned if she didn’t return it to my lap. Turns out wet Pom poms are the only thing she is willing to play fetch with.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bandit plays fetch, Patches tells you to get the ball yourself you chucked it. :lol: