My cat is obsessed with me!

BlueRaccoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is a little too dependent on me. I can not sit down without him being on me. It's impossible to get him to leave me alone. No matter how many times I set him down, he comes back immediately. He uses all of his strength to stay on me. When he sees me he cries. I have other cats. They do not do this. I know some people may think this is cute, but it's not anymore. It's way beyond that. He has always been like this, but after moving 3 months ago it got way worse. Any tips on how to help him and my sanity would be appreciated! PXL_20210523_001108659.jpg

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh... what a sweetie pie.:lovecat2:

I'll have to admit, I love a lap cat, but can understand you not wanting him clinging to you all the time.

Wonder if he's still stressed over the move? Maybe look into Feliway. Some members find it helpful, though others say it does nothing.

There's also calming treats and collars. And, of course, if you think he might be unwell, contact your vet.

Since his behaviour change could be a sign of stress, here's the TCS article on the topic, which might be helpful.
Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Plus a short one on Separation Anxiety In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baskets on your desk, scratching posts with the cup top near your reclyner, cat beds or blankets on the couch to the side of you. Give him ways to be near you that aren't quite so annoying as constantly being on you.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My Graham is a velcro cat too. At times it is endearing, and yes other times it is quite annoying especially when she gets in my way. What I do is continue talking to her even when I am in the kitchen or elsewhere and she comes running to find me. I need to assure her I am always with her. When I am on the sofa, I'd put my used shirt and she'd lie on it while I go about my other house chores.

Good advice above by also considering bringing your cat to the vet. There may be other underlying problems concerning her health.