My Cat Is Dying Of Cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First I am sad to say that I dropped off this website after some time and now I am back in seeking some information maybe? on my cat. So this won't be a happy reintroduction.

I've had Angel for almost 2 years. She is 14 years old and I adopted her October 17, 2015. Angel is a Persian cat (no papers) if that makes a difference, she is the "original" ( doll face ) Persian. She is blind in both eyes since birth and was neglected and abused by her original owner. Angel's original owner was killed in a car accident, the husband being left to take care of her and he neglected her, I adopted her and I've gotten her back on her feet. I've loved her since then.

Last Wednesday I went out of state for a small vacation and returned this Sunday. Angel has always been fine while I left, provided that I left out extra food and water and a clean litter box. I came home to an awful smell and could not find out what it was, it smelt of death and fish. I checked the fridge for rotting food and nothing. No opened can cat food. Trash was taken out before I left. Etc. I washed all fabric and vacuumed and mopped. That helped a lot.
Wednesday night it was time for me to clip Angel's claws and brush her teeth. Angel has always had bad teeth from her original owner never brushing them but the smell was from her. I examine her mouth and find that her tongue is spilt roughly 1\4th and is hanging out of her mouth. The hanging piece is decayed and slimy. I phone my vet and explain this strange situation, she says to come in tomorrow for an exam. I set up an appointment and end my call. Later that day I need to wipe Angel's face (she is drooling a lot) and she shakes her head when I am done and flings her decayed tongue piece on to my arm! I almost threw up. I put the piece in to a zip lock bag ( I thought the vet may need it for examination ). I should probably add that Angel fell in February and broke her top left canine off. I was thinking she fell while I was gone and broke her tongue.

Thursday evening ( as I am writing this it is still Thursday) I take Angel in to my vet. My vet looks her over and takes her in to the other room, what felt like quite awhile, they return with Angel and set her on the table. I ask them if she'll be able to live without a part of her tongue, she ( the vet) says yes but not for long. I was then told that Angel has cancer, oral squamous cell carcinoma to be exact. Vet found two tumors on her; one under her tongue and one on top. I know that this is a very aggressive cancer and it is already advanced now, but does anyone know the life expectancy outcome for this? Vet can not give me an exact time of course, but I am just curious to hear if anyone else has ever dealt with this type of cancer in their cat? I was reading that the life expectancy is only a few days through 3 months. 10% making it to a year post diagnose. I will NOT let her suffer. I understand this is the end, but for now the vet and I both agree that Angel is healthy minus the cancer and she is very alert. With that said, I am destroyed. I have already finished an entire box of tissues and I'm half way through my second box. I was never expecting cancer. I thought this was going to be a normal tongue injury or something. Hell I don't know, but damn am I depressed right now. Thanks to who ever reads and replies to this. I appreciate it.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First, I am very very sorry to hear about your dear Angel. I know you are devastated. As someone who has lost a cat to cancer and presently dealing with another one, I can truly empathize. While I have not had personal experience with oral squamous cell carcinoma, there is a CTS member and frequent insightful contributor (living in Italy) who lost his sweet Lola to this cancer in April. He can be found at Antonio65 Antonio65 . His experience can be found on thread some months back as well most recently on the "Crossing the Bridge" forum. He may see your thread shortly and weigh in. I hope so.

Meanwhile, I want to let you know of a new type of treatment which you may wish to look into. It is called the "Cyberknife". It is the newest and most advanced radiology technology in the Veterinary field today. It is NOT a knife; it is the world's first and only commercial application of robotic stereotatic radiosurgery for tumors and lesions in pets. There are only three of these machines in the world. Two of them are in the U.S. One is in Clever City, CA and the other one is in Malvern, PA outside Philadelphia.

You can read more about it at www.cyberknifepet.com or www.vetcyberknife.com.
I recently had a consultation with the director of the Malvern clinic regarding my cat with inoperable bladder cancer. I was very impressed. While it is not cheap, it does offer hope for cancers that are in difficult places and/or inoperable. I do know they have had some good success treating oral squamous cell cancers. It may be an option for you.

Try to remain strong and focused on getting the best possible care and treatment for Angel. All we can do as loving cat parents is give our babies the best quality of life for as long as we can. I wish you all the best and will be thinking of you and Angel.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sad :(. My grandma's cat died of mouth cancer. They had to sedate her to do a full oral exam and when they figured out that's what it was they just decided not to wake her up, so I don't know how much longer she would have lived. She was already refusing to eat, though, so it probably wouldn't have been long. Did your cat's former owners smoke in the house? Apparently licking all those nasty smoke chemicals off their fur is the main cause of oral cancer in cats.

Anyway, it will become more difficult for her to eat as time goes on, and eventually she won't be able to get enough. Just love her and spoil her and feed her whatever she wants until then. (((Hugs)))

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oldgloryrags88 oldgloryrags88 ,
I am very and truly sad and sorry for what you and your angel are going through.
While I was reading your post I re-lived my last days with Lola.
Lola is the cat you can see in the picture of my profile. She was diagnosed with an oral squamous cell carcinoma in last September, just a few weeks after she was operated for an adrenal carcinoma. The surgery was successful, but while we were rejoicing for that success the other carcinoma was working behind the scenes.
I started noticing that Lola had difficulty at eating her dry food, she dropped her kibbles from her mouth. At first I thought it was a gingivitis and this was later confirmed by a vet during a specific visit. The vet didn't noticed what Lola had under her tongue. I found it out the hard way when on a morning I saw some drops of blood in her water bowl. I thought she had lost a tooth, I opened her mouth to check it and found this round mass under her tongue.
I prayed it wasn't what I feared it was, but my prayer remained unheard...

Lola was promptly visited by an oncologist who set up a therapeutical path which involved radiation therapy and chemo therapy. The first one was very heavy on her tiny and tired body, but she went through it and came back home in slightly better conditions. She went through a lot of highs and lows for 5 months after the therapy, then she surrendered :bawling2:

All the vets who listened to her story told me that she lived longer than SCC cats usually live.

I know what you mean when you talk about that rotten smell in the house.
I know what you mean when you mention that split tongue and the decayed piece fell.
I was there before :(

My sweet Lola stopped eating on her own about two months after the radiation treatment, which was done 5-6 weeks after the diagnosis.
For the last three months of her life I had to syringe feed her, and water too had to be administered with a syringe, several times a day. My life wasn't a life anymore, but I did it out of love for her and I would have done it forever!
The main concern was to give her the right amount of daily calories so not to waste her, but it was harder and harder.
Her tongue kept retreating from the point where it split in two and on a day it was so short that Lola wasn't able to swallow her syringed food.
My last attempt to keep her with me as long as possible was to ask the vet to put an E-tube in her neck.
This experience was short lived, my sweet Lola went to the Rainbow Bridge 48 hours later, at home.

Yesterday it was the 5th month anniversary, I'm still crying everyday for er loss and I'm crying while I was typing.

If you feel like you can read her and my story at this link
Lola's fight with Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma (I'm going to say goodbye to my cat)
where an almost daily log was being written

And her tribute for her passing at this link
My Sweet Lola is at the Rainbow Bridge

Sorry for my possible mistakes during the typing of this post, but my eyes are wet with tears and English isn't my first language, as B babiesmom5 pointed out.

All I can do for you is sending the greatest hug from the other side of the world! :(
Ask me whatever you want, I'll be glad to answer you if I can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that I have not kept this thread updated. First I wanted to thank everyone that read and replied to this thread!

Angel is still fighting an inevitable battle. She still has interest in food but can not eat very well due to her tongue missing 1\4th of it, but she'll climb all over me for my food. She still goes to her litter boxes no problem and drinks from her water bowl no problem. My vet told me to just let her eat whatever she wants since sick cats often become very picky. It's true I guess, because Angel was never picky before she got cancer. I've been cooking her rabbit ( I raise my own for meat and show) and removing the bones. She has a lot of interest in this. I feed her can cat food through a syringe which she does not fight. Angel is losing a lot of weight though. She looks so thin. When I took her in to the vet (the day she was diagnosed with cancer) she weighted 4.2 lbs. In February, she weighted 5.3 lbs. November 2015, 8.3 lbs. I've noticed major weight loss before, which both her former and current vet and myself thought was a thyroid problem. Angel has always been a tiny cat mind you, but I've never seen 4.2 lbs with her before and I am quite worried.

Yes, Angel's original owners were smokers inside the house even. When I rescued her back in 2015, all of her belongings and she herself smelt so bad of smoke that it took three baths for her and me throwing away most of her things to remove the smell. I have not mentioned this to her vet. I know smoking causes lung and oral cancer in humans but until I looked it up on the internet, I had literally no idea that second hand smoke can give cats cancer. It makes perfect sense though. She lived 12 years in second hand smoke, almost 2 years in freedom ( I do not smoke, never have and never will ).

Antonio65,

Yes I have read Lola's stories before. I am so sorry! You and your wife gave her an amazing life. She knew that and your profile picture she looks so happy. She was a lucky cat. <3

I just cannot believe my sweet Angel is dying. I might get some hate for this, but has anyone used CBD oil for cats with cancer?

BestBabyC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about Angel, I do know your pain, my boy has gastric lymphoma and is undergoing chemo but prognosis is poor. My heart breaks for you.

I too thought about CBD oil but I don't know if it's safe . There is a hemp product for cats, I saw an article online . I would ask your vet because we don't know if cbd oil is poisonous to cats or not.

The cans, smoking , chemicals , they're killing our animals.

I thought about going to get rabbit from China town in NYC just today . I read rabbits and mice are what they prefer. I'm feeding organic chicken but the vet said many cats develop allergies to chicken so maybe it's making him worse . How do you prepare the rabbit?

You really saved Angel, she is safe with you . You're a very good person and there is no doubt Angel loves you.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know smoking causes lung and oral cancer in humans but until I looked it up on the internet, I had literally no idea that second hand smoke can give cats cancer. It makes perfect sense though. She lived 12 years in second hand smoke, almost 2 years in freedom ( I do not smoke, never have and never will ).
At the clinic where I took Lola to have her treated with radiation therapy there were posters on the wall to warn owners to never smoke in the house if they have pets (whatever pet) and also that not smoking at all is even better for everybody.
I have never smoked and nobody has ever smoked in my house. My neighbour does, but he lives next door and I don't think that his smoke can reach and do harm in my house.
I'm more convinced that the problem arose from the wet wipes that I used massively in the months before the adrenal surgery, when Lola was so weak she couldn't walk to her litter tray and would do everything on her.
I had to wipe her clean several times a day with more than one wipe at the time. I'm sure that the chemicals in those wipes rested on her coat and she licked herself for grooming and thus she ingested all those filthy chemicals.
The vets told me that no evidence for this explanation has ever been found, but nonetheless this can't be excluded.

I just cannot believe my sweet Angel is dying. I might get some hate for this, but has anyone used CBD oil for cats with cancer?
If CBD oil is for easing the pain you could ask your vet if it isn't toxic.
I tried everything on Earth to slow down or erase her cancer, but nothing worked...
This morning I woke up very sad, I was still thinking of her, I miss her too much!

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you go to CannaPet.com you will find a site that I have ordered from. There is a lot of information out there about hemp for animals. Here is a blog of someone who used the oil for her cat. True Story: I Tried Cannabis Oil for my Aging Cat

I used it for Raven's arthritis but it sedated her too much. I used the capsule, opened it and sprinkled it on her food. It smelled like cut grass. I think the oil would be a good idea for Angel. There are holistic vets who use it all the time.
Look up - holistic vets cannabis

BestBabyC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do NOT buy "CBD oil" online , it is FAKE and comprised of unknown chemicals that will kill your cat. marijuana is legal in only certain states . CBD is NOT legal anywhere marijuana is not legal. Not at the store and not by mail, CBD oil can't be shipped to any state where marijuana is not legal. That link is NOT CBD oil, just a scam. It's one thing to ingest it yourself and another to force it on a cat.

And here is the danger of peoole dispensing medical advice . Unless you live in a legalized state or have a medical marijuana card , you may not purchase cbd oil, it's illegal. It may not be shipped across state lines unless it to a marijuana legalized state .

You must ask your vet first anyways about the real cbd oil then how will you obtain it? If you live in a legalized state , great, ask the vet and see what to do.

Does that holistic vet live in a marijuana legal state? If not, she is most certainly lying about what she is giving animals .

DO NOT buy fake cbd oil online , you have no idea what's in it. Cbd oil can only be purchased in the states marijuana is legal at regulated marijuana shops , period

Hemp is entirely different from CBD oil with little to no evidence hemp does anything plus it's not regulated nor tested like cbd and thc is in legalized states . If you were to try hemp ,again , do not buy this online , you should call the states marijuana is legal in because although anyone can buy hemp, those legalized states , the shops , are far more likely to sell you real hemp than some scammer online .

Be careful

veronica00

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I ordered CBD oil for my cat Petey who is quickly degenerating from IMHA. He had his 2nd blood transfusion today but he is not responding. My order is scheduled to arrive tomorrow and I plan to put a couple of drops in his food when I visit him in the ICU tomorrow night.

I have read amazing things about it and feel it can't hurt as it is made of all natural ingredients. I will start with a very low dose and hope it makes a difference.

I am so sorry you are going through this too, be blessed for your time with her, I fear my Petey will die alone in the ICU and never come home again. But we have to have hope and try everything.

BestBabyC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is hemp not cbd. Real cbd is illegal , silly but true .

If you have the time , I would call marijuana shops in places like Seattle and LA and ask if you can buy a hemp product from them . They will not sell you CBD as they can't. At minimum , you know the hemp was extracted safely .

I have a friend who is a marijuana farmer in WA and you wouldn't believe the horrible chemicals used to extract for fake products , he knows all about it. In legal states , the current farmers I would say are very ethical and they have special labs using ice and other harmless things to extract .

This fake cbd oil is not worth $1, real CBD of the same size is $70, it's outrageous what they're doing . Plus , as many know , never buy anything off amazon that you consume or put on your body . Just read how many fake facecreand , supplements, toothpaste etc are on amazon and amazon facilitates it . You're fine buying a wood table and checking it out , but I wouldn't buy anything you consume or put on your body .

It's your decision but I would not give my cat that product , it is not cbd, that we know for sure. What's required to process hemp is the use of very toxic chemicals unless you call around to tha stores in legal states and ask them exactly how the hemp was extracted . A little butane can kill your cat , please be careful

BestBabyC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry about Petey, it is very scary when your baby is in ICU. I've been there .

Did they say how long he needs to stay? You are trying everything you can .

I really am hoping Petey turns the corner. He is where he can get help but I know the thought of them going in the hospital is unbearable.

When you visit him, let him know we are all rooting for him and there are lots of kitties on his side. My cats send good energy and love to Petey

BestBabyC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the issue is getting safe hemp oil. the ones online are extracted using a lot of toxic chemicals that can be poisonous to cats or damage their organs, if they have hemp at all. They do add chemicals that induce a sedative effect so people think they have some kind of hemp or cbd or they couldn't sell their products. hemp doesn't cause sedation so there is something else in the jar. butane and other chemicals cause vasoconstriction and lightheadedness, "sedation", that is not the kind you want to give to your cat.

There are many articles by people in the actual marijuana industry, check sites like leafly, call shops in states where it is legal and ask. also check with your vet first. I'm not making this stuff up, I have friends who are farmers, I researched it extensively for my own health issues and I can say for certain, to try to get "cbd" out of hemp, is very difficult and requires the use of very TOXIC chemicals. If someone lives in a state where mj is legal, going to a shop and asking for hemp oil it far safer and they will tell you exactly how it was extracted.

You also linked an advertisement for their so called hemp product , that's an ad, not research. Real Hemp oil is most definitely no where near the same as real cbd oil, not on the same planet even. But these links and ads are not even real hemp oil. There is a dangerous market out there and peoole need to be a little wiser and think it through . Go on leafly or look at the article I linked above .

I'm sure real hemp oil can possibly have some benefits , marginal but possible , but the items online are highly adulterated , unregulated and dangerous . Humans can take the hit perhaps but not animals . Doesn't hurt to call shops in legal states and inquire before forcing something dangerous down a vulnerable animal's throat .

It's not a substitute for a vet and although some people have tried everything medically and are desperate to ease their cat's suffering , others are looking for a cheap "fix" when it's better to just do nothing rather than squirt poison down a cat's throat

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd like to thank everyone for reading and replying to my thread. It is truly an amazing forum.

It is in all due sadness that I have to say that Angel died just today at 12:18 AM. She went so peacefully, I am very lucky, she died in my lap in our favorite blanket while her paw was in my hand. I held her afterwards and the last words she heard was me saying that I will love her forever and we're together no matter what. Angel is being privately cremated, just like my Nico, Renato, and Baloo were.

Angel: February 22, 2003 - September 5, 2017. Together since October 17, 2015. <3
Rest in peace my darling Persian Mobile, I will always love you.

Attachments

BestBabyC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am deeply sorry about your sweet Angel. You saved her and you loved her when she needed a real friend.

I looked at her photos and she is so incredibly beautiful and cute, she truly is an Angel.

You two will be together forever.

I'm so sorry, I know it's very painful. May you find comfort in your memories together and in the knowledge you were her angel as much as she was yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.