My Cat Is A Jerk And I Hate Him

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't read through all the post but, I can tell you some of the posters above are very knowledgeable and can offer a lot of good advice and support. The problem I'm sure is solvable with a little time and patience. I can't help but wonder....how was the cat before you moved and, how did you feel about him then? For all you know someone had a cat that lived in the apartment before and your cat is reacting to that. From what I can tell something has triggered his behavior. Some background on how he was and, how you felt about him before the move may be helpful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Resigned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! This forum seems very kind and supportive. I probably do need to spend more time getting to know him, and cats in general. I just realized that with every other pet I've owned I've spent hours upon hours on forums and reading books and articles to figure out the best way to keep them, but I hadn't done that with cats, because I've had a cat before and they are very popular pets.

Right now I am putting some medication on his toe, but if it doesn't clear up, I'll see if I can find a low-cost clinic near me that I can take him to.

I am also going to pick up some of that litter as well. I think it is a behavioral issue rather than a urinary one. I give him wet food once a day and put fresh water out every day.

Oh, and he thinks my bunny is his BFF. Goofy cat.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! This forum seems very kind and supportive. I probably do need to spend more time getting to know him, and cats in general. I just realized that with every other pet I've owned I've spent hours upon hours on forums and reading books and articles to figure out the best way to keep them, but I hadn't done that with cats, because I've had a cat before and they are very popular pets.

Right now I am putting some medication on his toe, but if it doesn't clear up, I'll see if I can find a low-cost clinic near me that I can take him to.

I am also going to pick up some of that litter as well. I think it is a behavioral issue rather than a urinary one. I give him wet food once a day and put fresh water out every day.

I have a female cat here that is, frankly, a bitch. She bullied the other cats so much and swatted them for being rude (aka being alive), that they ganged up on her and she now has a chunk missing from her ear. She's a bitch but she's also realized that her bullying caused BEING bullied and now I protect her. She also marks things like cat food bowls and will sometimes spray the back exit door if a stray cat happens to hang around there. She drives me nuts sometimes and the thought of making her a barn cat has crossed my mind, but I know she wouldn't do well.
Natures Miracle makes a GOOD product called no more spraying/marking, just for cats. If you clean a peed on area well, then give the area a mist with a squirt or two, it does deter them from re-peeing on the spot. A spray bottle with one cat can last a long, long time.
As irritated as I get with her, she gets urinary tract stuff sometimes and whenever this happens, she's the Apple of my Eye. I get annoyed with her sometimes but when she doesn't feel well, she's the center of my life in some ways, and her care is at the top of my list.
Even when they act like idiots....they're OUR idiots.;)
I'm glad you're willing to work on things and see it through. When it comes to peeing cats, meowing cats, destructive cats, and knowing you love them but want to throttle them sometimes...you're not alone.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Cats are definitely different! lol

Really glad that he likes the bunny. :-)

Let us know how you all are doing. Lots of great people around here with experience and support! :-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Resigned

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH, he has dry food left out all day, and then gets canned food in the evening.
Does he eat the dry at will or graze? If he's motivated by it, it sounds cheesy but you could try "hiding" small piles around the house for him to search out. It seems to give them something to do and use their brains to work out the puzzles.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently asked my boyfriend if I could turn Tommy over to a babysitter to get a freaking break for a weekend or something. I've been depressed for two weeks (clinical; it's a gift) and he makes me nuts. This guy doesn't try to make my life hell though, he's just got so much energy and is always seeing what he can get away with. He loves us dearly, but I told my partner "I need you to spend time with him this evening while I go to my room with the other cats, or he's at risk of me overreacting and making the wrong, rash decision.
He used to be huge. 21 lbs. He couldn't possibly get into that much trouble. Then I took a few years and slimmed him down. Then he got urinary issues and surgery and is on a raw diet and is OFF OF CARBS. Then I took him off Prozac he was on for a year for anxiety. Then we got a bigger house.
We've been through a lot of changes in 9 years. He's moved with us 5 times.
And I am completely broke. I can't even afford Tom's vet bills from 2017, so bf took those over so I didn't have to put him down when he required life saving measures.

I have rehomed cats before. Cats that didn't want to be part of a clowder, or cats that couldn't defend themselves properly. I did take the responsibility to give them a forever home, but it turned out mine wasn't the right fit, and then I went ahead and placed them in, I hope, their forever homes.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently asked my boyfriend if I could turn Tommy over to a babysitter to get a freaking break for a weekend or something. I've been depressed for two weeks (clinical; it's a gift) and he makes me nuts. This guy doesn't try to make my life hell though, he's just got so much energy and is always seeing what he can get away with. He loves us dearly, but I told my partner "I need you to spend time with him this evening while I go to my room with the other cats, or he's at risk of me overreacting and making the wrong, rash decision.
He used to be huge. 21 lbs. He couldn't possibly get into that much trouble. Then I took a few years and slimmed him down. Then he got urinary issues and surgery and is on a raw diet and is OFF OF CARBS. Then I took him off Prozac he was on for a year for anxiety. Then we got a bigger house.
We've been through a lot of changes in 9 years. He's moved with us 5 times.
And I am completely broke. I can't even afford Tom's vet bills from 2017, so bf took those over so I didn't have to put him down when he required life saving measures.

I have rehomed cats before. Cats that didn't want to be part of a clowder, or cats that couldn't defend themselves properly. I did take the responsibility to give them a forever home, but it turned out mine wasn't the right fit, and then I went ahead and placed them in, I hope, their forever homes.
:grouphug:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who is a huge brat. He doesn't like being told no, so he playfully (in that it doesn't really hurt but I know he's mad) bites/attacks me when I make him stop doing something he shouldn't be doing and he also swats at me anytime I pass him. I bought some interactive toys that I can just leave running and I don't actually have to spend time playing with him (although I do that too) and he's calmed down a bit. He still acts up, but it's gotten to be less often. The toys I got are a rotating laser pointer and a concealed motion toy.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love your honesty!!
I have a difficult cat and I think spending time with your kitty is the answer
trying to figure out what they need is the mystery, you may want to check out Jackson Galaxy website, there are some tips there, there may be other sites too.
I bought a book, because I have issues with a stray I took in, the solution to the problems seem counterintuitive, so best to read up on it.
My stray needs to play aaaalllll the time, trying to get him to chill.
Moving caused something so getting him to feel at home would be a good start.
Thanks for the laugh! your honesty is cool

Saber_Wing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats tear through houses when they're bored, and unstimulated. They are very expressive animals - you just have to know how to listen. They don't do these things for no reason. If he's peeing, he either has an underlying health issue, or is protesting being stressed and unhappy, in the only way he knows how. I know being in a small space, if he's not used to it, is likely part of the issue.

I also second what people said about giving him high places to sleep/lay, and just sit on. Shelves, cat towers... anything. Being up high makes them feel more in control.

I also believe that if you're stressed, it may be contributing to his. They're very empathetic, and very sensitive to energy and bad vibes, at least in my experience, and I've had cats since before I could talk.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I survived my punk' s hyper years. During that time I called him some names in my head, he thought his name meant no & I used to fantasize about giving him cold baths (or shaving him!)

He is my bud and I love him. I'm his human. Some cats are just super clingy, hyper and bullying jerks to other cats. That is my punk, Dante.

My advice? Hang in there, get him to a vet ASAP and only allow him outside on a harness.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Resigned Resigned : I really appreciate your honesty. Is that Oliver in your profile picture? If so, possibly he has some Maine Coon in his background and according to my local vets, MCs are "working cats" much as Border Collies and Cattle Dogs are considered "working breeds" so they have exceptional I.Q. , curiosity and very high energy (other cats can be much more content with inside apartment life). One of my vets says that MCs are really good at interspecies communications & likes to have them as barn cats for his horse barns. Also, MCs mature later, around 4 or 5 years. I have a MC and he is fantastic personality wise but his energy level is off the scale and he is happiest as an indoor/outdoor family cat. I have seen him interact with foxes (playing tag with a young fox); "hanging out" with skunks (he even brought one inside the cat flap and casually walked to his food dish with the skunk following, sat nearby while the skunk ate and then through some "cat-skunk speak" led the skunk back outside while the other cats and I huddled on the couch, hoping and praying that nothing startled the skunk into spraying; interacting with chickens, practicing his stealth skills by walking among the flock unnoticed or in bouts of mischievousness, charge & chase & scatter them for a few moments then calmly lay down. For a time, JC had a couple of pet rabbits as indoor buddies but when I was out of town, my ex decided to give the rabbits an outside pen and foolishly did not wrap the fence underneath and the rabbits tunneled out and escaped forever. Anyway, I am glad to read that it seems that Oliver and you are doing better - it might be helpful to realize that he is more like a racehorse and his present lifestyle is more like a "pony rides" for children at the local park.
I am looking forward to reading more updates as you have time, as well as maybe seeing pictures of your bunny and Oliver together. :camera:You sound very busy with your studies and I salute you for taking the time to work with your pet family. :salute: :rockout:

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You mentioned that Oliver misses having interesting windows to look out of at your new apartment. Would it be possible to get a bird feeder to encourage more interesting visitors? If not, perhaps you could see if he's interested in any of the cat-themed You Tube channels available. There is a range of options, from videos of real birds outside a window to squiggly string videos.