My cat got outside for the first time since we took her in, what are the chances she returns?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she‘ll go back, if she’s hungry enough (which she is) and again, if you consistently put out the food at a certain time: try a variety! KFC in one, fishies in another…can you put out a third, with something tasty & stinky? Another way to look at it is, now she thinks she can get out, she will try again.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Also my cat associates food with a sound—- the automated cat mate machine opening. Don’t know if a consistent sound would work as well, to associate w/ the smells of good food.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two traps out currently that are both covered. I’m just worried that now she knows about the traps because she got out of one and that she won’t go near one again.
Maybe leave them untriggered for a day then try again. Don’t give up 💕 I have never heard of a cat escaping have a heart trap once it closes and getting out of it, that is very odd. Definitely do not put a towel in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RickCMC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe leave them untriggered for a day then try again. Don’t give up 💕 I have never heard of a cat escaping have a heart trap once it closes and getting out of it, that is very odd. Definitely do not put a towel in there.
Yeah I was shocked she wasn’t in there. The trap door shut down on part of the towel and it must not have closed the whole way and gave her enough room to push the trap door open enough and slide out. She’s a pretty small and thin cat. I’m really kicking myself over this one. Took the towel out and placed something else in there so that the door won’t shut down on anything.

Last edited:

RickCMC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I looked at more video from last night and just before she went in the trap she sat at the back steps for a minute or two just staring at the back door. Of course no one was home at the time. Then she just laid down next to the trap for several minutes. It’s like she knows this was her home! Tonight I am going to try propping the back door open and putting the other cats in another room. Maybe she will just walk into the house?

RickCMC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still hopeful. She appeared again last night and popped her head into the trap but then walked away. Then I saw her in some bushes near the shed and called her but she ran across the yard and hopped the fence into my neighbors yard. This morning just a few minutes ago she was wandering around our backyard but of course im not home. I’m glad she’s still close but it’s frustrating I can’t seem to get her back

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

Ask your neighbor if he's feeding her. It could be she knows what will happen with trap. Since cats love boxes some other ideas also hide it different locations. Bushes are one place a cat can hide

RickCMC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I just saw her again. She was poking her head out of the little opening under the shed. I didn’t get close I just crouched down and started calling her name. She came out a little bit but looked scared. She then got startled by something and went back under the shed. Hopefully I can get her to come out.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I just saw her again. She was poking her head out of the little opening under the shed. I didn’t get close I just crouched down and started calling her name. She came out a little bit but looked scared. She then got startled by something and went back under the shed. Hopefully I can get her to come out.
That just reminded me of when I discovered my cat was hiding under the deck on the bottom floor of my apartment building. I sat out on a lawn chair and put her food out she came out but was scared and ran back in so I did it another night or two and on the last night she came out to eat and I was able to approach her and pick her up. You might want to just hang out and let her come to you (put some of the catnip cologne on) :)

RickCMC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That just reminded me of when I discovered my cat was hiding under the deck on the bottom floor of my apartment building. I sat out on a lawn chair and put her food out she came out but was scared and ran back in so I did it another night or two and on the last night she came out to eat and I was able to approach her and pick her up. You might want to just hang out and let her come to you (put some of the catnip cologne on) :)
Thanks! Yep that’s what im doing. Just sitting outside and watching and waiting. I put some food and some treats out and twice now she’s come out and eaten but when I make any noise or move closer she freaks out and goes back under.

RickCMC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haven’t seen her in a few hours. Hopefully she’s sleeping under the shed.

RickCMC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She just came out again to eat some of the food I put out for her, but then she goes back under the shed. Wish she wasn’t so freaked out and would walk over to me. I don’t know if I can sit out here all night. I positioned a trap closer to the opening of the shed so hopefully she walks into it.

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She just came out again to eat some of the food I put out for her, but then she goes back under the shed. Wish she wasn’t so freaked out and would walk over to me. I don’t know if I can sit out here all night. I positioned a trap closer to the opening of the shed so hopefully she walks into it.
I would put that trap right against the shed and block off the rest of that opening. Then she would have to enter the trap to leave. It will work, I am sure of that. You have her cornered, you have the advantage.

RickCMC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would put that trap right against the shed and block off the rest of that opening. Then she would have to enter the trap to leave. It will work, I am sure of that. You have her cornered, you have the advantage.
Thinking about doing that. It’s a pretty long opening and I still need to leave room for the trap door to shut. Any tips on how to best block it off?

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thinking about doing that. It’s a pretty long opening and I still need to leave room for the trap door to shut. Any tips on how to best block it off?
I have used wood and "built" an enclosure for the trap. Basically secure a 2x4 the length of that opening, minus the width of the trap. I have built entrances out of wood before, but you maybe able to staple a sheet or towel to the shed and secure that to the trap as well. That would allow the trap to shut while blocking off all exits

RickCMC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have used wood and "built" an enclosure for the trap. Basically secure a 2x4 the length of that opening, minus the width of the trap. I have built entrances out of wood before, but you maybe able to staple a sheet or towel to the shed and secure that to the trap as well. That would allow the trap to shut while blocking off all exits
Thanks. Unfortunately before I could do any of that she scurried out from under the shed and hopped the fence into the neighbors back yard. I shined my flashlight and I see her eyes. She’s sitting near a bush in a my neighbors yard. I love this cat but I just don’t know how much else I can do. I feel like she doesn’t even want to come home at all this point.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Unfortunately before I could do any of that she scurried out from under the shed and hopped the fence into the neighbors back yard. I shined my flashlight and I see her eyes. She’s sitting near a bush in a my neighbors yard. I love this cat but I just don’t know how much else I can do. I feel like she doesn’t even want to come home at all this point.
You are doing fine and she’s just testing your love lol

RickCMC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it possible my cat just wants to be an outdoor cat now? She’s still hanging around the house coming and going from under the shed. Last night and today I tried to sneak up behind her while she was eating and try to grab her but before I got close to her she knew I was there and took off back to the shed. This Thursday it will be 3 weeks since she got out of the house. I’m beginning to think if she really wanted back inside she would have let me know that by waiting to be let in by the door.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible my cat just wants to be an outdoor cat now? She’s still hanging around the house coming and going from under the shed. Last night and today I tried to sneak up behind her while she was eating and try to grab her but before I got close to her she knew I was there and took off back to the shed. This Thursday it will be 3 weeks since she got out of the house. I’m beginning to think if she really wanted back inside she would have let me know that by waiting to be let in by the door.
How was she with you when she was in the house?
How did she get out?
Why are you still feeding her? She has to be hungry to go into trap.