My Cat And Bleach

Rick60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is obsessed with the smell of bleach. Whenever I clean with it, she always has to go where i am using it. If I use it on the floor, I have to keep her out of room until floor is dry or she will go in and rub all over the floor. It is a funny addiction but does anyone else have a cat with a strange obsession for bleach. I wonder why she likes the smell.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I shall now quote my father, a very wise man, "Who knows from cats?" He adored cats, and they adored him right back, but, who knows from cats? They like the darnest things. Hekitty won't touch people food of any sort, except for raspberry sherbet. THAT, she will climb your leg for.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I've posted this before - more than once in other threads where members asked about bleach and their cats. So, it is a 'repeat', but Feeby goes crazy over the smell of bleach. She has been known to come from clear across the other side of the house because she must be able to smell me using bleach in my master shower stall. And, because she knows she is not allowed to go in the stall, she just sits outside the bathroom and sniffs, sniffs, sniffs. That is followed by rolling around all over the bedroom carpet. She likes bleach fumes more than she likes catnip!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rick60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At least now I know it is common with other cats too. I thought maybe my cat just had a strange obsession.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, another bleach sniffer at my house. When I come back from the pool I leave my water shoes on the floor and she rolls and rubs on them like they are catnip.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes! I would be worried about my cat inhaling those fumes. That cannot be good for them. I also don't ever use bleach because it is horrible stuff (respiratory issues, burns, asthma, nervous system damage, carcinogenic). But I have had to use it at places I have worked and you always had to be careful to let it completely air dry and the room ventilated before putting the pet back in its cage.