My 7 Week Old Kitten Walked Into the Vents

NateInkwell

New Kitten Daddy
Kitten
Purraise
I read a post made here back in 2016 about a similar dilemma, but wanted to know what I should do about this.

I just got my kitty, Tanya, today, and she's roughly 7 weeks old. I let her wander the house, but forgot that many of my vents are exposed. I turned off the furnace, left some tuna near the vent and have a light shining on the opening as i read to do.

Any more advice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NateInkwell

New Kitten Daddy
Kitten
Purraise
I read a post made here back in 2016 about a similar dilemma, but wanted to know what I should do about this.

I just got my kitty, Tanya, today, and she's roughly 7 weeks old. I let her wander the house, but forgot that many of my vents are exposed. I turned off the furnace, left some tuna near the vent and have a light shining on the opening as i read to do.

Any more advice?
Also, I know she did this because she was scared. I know my house, and the vents aren't anything deep or dangerous, but I still felt I should ask

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure I understand, do you mean she's stuck in the vent or are you asking how to cover up the vents?

Its generally recommended when bringing a new cat or kitten home to keep them in a room with their food, litter box and a comfy bed. This is not only for safety reasons but it also helps them feel more secure.

Here is a TCS Article about kitten proofing your home that might have some helpful information for you:
13 Practical Ways to Kitten-Proof Your Home - TheCatSite
And another that discusses cat safety rules: 10 Essential Cat Safety Rules You Need To Know - TheCatSite

NateInkwell

New Kitten Daddy
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure I understand, do you mean she's stuck in the vent or are you asking how to cover up the vents?

Its generally recommended when bringing a new cat or kitten home to keep them in a room with their food, litter box and a comfy bed. This is not only for safety reasons but it also helps them feel more secure.

Here is a TCS Article about kitten proofing your home that might have some helpful information for you:
13 Practical Ways to Kitten-Proof Your Home - TheCatSite
And another that discusses cat safety rules: 10 Essential Cat Safety Rules You Need To Know - TheCatSite

I think she crawled into the vents. I have the box she was brought home in at the ready for when she comes out, but I'm worried her age may pose a problem.

I read somewhere that calling HVAC is a bad idea since the work could scare her and make her possibly go deeper in. Any suggestions as to how to coax her out?

NateInkwell

New Kitten Daddy
Kitten
Purraise
A seven week old kitten doesn’t have the stamina to go a day without eating so I would consider this an emergency. I would contact a HVAC company and find one that has a camera to scope the vents and that can come out immediately.
Ok, so the issue with that is I don't live in the city. I am quite a ways away from onw in fact. There is an HVAC company in town, but they want a ton of money to even start the work, which is money I don't have at the moment.

I know where the vents are, and it shouldn't bee too difficult to tear them open myself, but I don't want to just in case.

I will call them now just in case, but I am open to other ideas.

NateInkwell

New Kitten Daddy
Kitten
Purraise
My dad said she could be somewhere else, but I don't know. He's your typical father who wants to explore every avenue before the one that costs money, but I've seen that lead to tragedy before.

I noticed my thread was moved, and i appreciate the support. This is terrifying to me, and I don't want to lose her.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Phew, I'm so happy for you. We get folks whom this happens to once in a while, and while I dont think we have had a tragedy, we've had folks with truly aweful experiences that spend a lot of money after everything else fails, or have stress and worry for days and days. Some of the experiences are bad enough that I imagine we will have a tragedy sooner or later :(

Going forward, the lesson is that a new cat -- including this one! -- needs to be in a safe room, somewhere where the worst place they can hide is under the bed. Your room will do just fine if there are no open vents or similar problems. After they get comfortable with the humans and being in that room, they view that as their home base once allowed to roam. At that point, if they get scared, they will go hide under the bed.

P.S. Your dad did fine. The AC folks were going to blow compressed air, which would have been just as scary. Unfortunately, sometimes there is no other option but to scare your kitty.

NateInkwell

New Kitten Daddy
Kitten
Purraise
Phew, I'm so happy for you. We get folks whom this happens to once in a while, and while I dont think we have had a tragedy, we've had folks with truly aweful experiences that spend a lot of money after everything else fails, or have stress and worry for days and days.

Going forward, the lesson is that a new cat -- including this one! -- needs to be in a safe room, somewhere where the worst place they can hide is under the bed. Your room will do just fine if there are no open vents or similar problems. After they get comfortable with the humans and being in that room, they view that as their home base once allowed to roam. At that point, if they get scared, they will go hide under the bed.
That's the quirky part, guess which room the vent was in, haha! I went through and made sure they were covered now. She really likes under my couch, so I think she'll prefer the living room. Thanks again for the advice and support. I never thought my little Tanya would do something to worry me so quickly.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's the quirky part, guess which room the vent was in, haha! I went through and made sure they were covered now. She really likes under my couch, so I think she'll prefer the living room. Thanks again for the advice and support. I never thought my little Tanya would do something to worry me so quickly.
Living rooms get a lot of traffic, they tend to be noisy. They tend to have open doors to other areas. Sometimes they have furniture that reclynes, which can hurt or maybe even kill a cat if they get into it and you dont know and reclyne fast. Just generally not ideal. I dont know your specific layout, but if your room has truly been made safe, that might be a better choice.

Then again, I'm sure no one wants to try and catch the kitten now and terrify it again. So maybe the living room is the best choice.

NateInkwell

New Kitten Daddy
Kitten
Purraise
Living rooms get a lot of traffic, they tend to be noisy. They tend to have open doors to other areas. Sometimes they have furniture that reclynes, which can hurt or maybe even kill a cat if they get into it and you dont know and reclyne fast. Just generally not ideal. I dont know your specific layout, but if your room has truly been made safe, that might be a better choice.
Single guy, lives alone. My loveseat is supposed to recline, but doesn't. I live in a very small house, so not many places to hide.

I'm guessing many people here have family and friends, but I just live alone beside my little fur baby. But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you got her out! As young as she is, even a bathroom (with toilet lid always kept down) would make a good home base for her while she grows and adjusts. A smaller spaces helps her figure out where her litter box is and makes her feel more secure.

NateInkwell

New Kitten Daddy
Kitten
Purraise
I am glad you got her out! As young as she is, even a bathroom (with toilet lid always kept down) would make a good home base for her while she grows and adjusts. A smaller spaces helps her figure out where her litter box is and makes her feel more secure.
She seems to really like under the couch. I have her box in an easy place to find, right next to her food and water bowls.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds reasonable enough to me Nate given that you live in a small space and have gone through and kitten proofed. Being alone helps too because you can control the noise you make. Dont watch some crazy action movie in the living room with the volume up for a bit.

I guess my one remaining question/concern is whether the living room is linked to the outside via the front door. Thats kind of a real risk while the kitten is still terrified. If that is the only problem with the living room, maybe your just extra careful and sensitive to the issue.

NateInkwell

New Kitten Daddy
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds reasonable enough to me Nate given that you live in a small space and have gone through and kitten proofed. Being alone helps too because you can control the noise you make. Dont watch some crazy action movie in the living room with the volume up for a bit.

I guess my one remaining question/concern is whether the living room is linked to the outside via the front door. Thats kind of a real risk while the kitten is still terrified. If that is the only problem with the living room, maybe your just extra careful and sensitive to the issue.
It is, but I will establish a knock first rule for all guests. My dad lives next door, and usually just walks in, so I'll be making sure he understands. I also have 2 front doors (Old midwestern town house quirk) so I'll keep the inner door closed for the time being.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might also want to look inside all your cabinets, use a flashlight, and under the doors where the cabinets are supposed to reach the floor. Only a few weeks ago, i and another member here discovered that we both had the same style cabinets, both of which had a hole under the door on the floor board that was supposed to be solid. Fact, that hole was plenty big enough for a kitten to crawl through and get in the walls. Also check under the sink and basin. Just saying.

Most vent covers can be screwed into the wood floor. It's worth considering. Vent covers aren't that expensive. Go to the closest hardware store and get them for the vents that don't have covers. Take one of the vent covers with you, they come in a remarkable range of sizes.

NateInkwell

New Kitten Daddy
Kitten
Purraise
You might also want to look inside all your cabinets, use a flashlight, and under the doors where the cabinets are supposed to reach the floor. Only a few weeks ago, i and another member here discovered that we both had the same style cabinets, both of which had a hole under the door on the floor board that was supposed to be solid. Fact, that hole was plenty big enough for a kitten to crawl through and get in the walls. Also check under the sink and basin. Just saying.

Most vent covers can be screwed into the wood floor. It's worth considering. Vent covers aren't that expensive. Go to the closest hardware store and get them for the vents that don't have covers. Take one of the vent covers with you, they come in a remarkable range of sizes.
Great advice. Thank you. I also plan to purchase a baby gate for the kitchen for the time being.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are so right to get a baby gate for the kitchen if you don't have a door. I hate open concept, it doesn't protect animals or children.

Just a thought on baby gates, have them, use them, definitely in favor of them. However, you'll want to get the ones that have a hook and eye set up where you put the eye part in the wall and then hook the body of the gate to it. The reason is you will not be home the moment your kitten gets enough weight to bring the gate crashing down when he climbs it. That is just the way cats and life are.

Baby gates keep, don't throw out the box it comes in. You may need it later in case you find another kitten or a puppy. You are totally in the right place with no kittens in the kitchen while you're cooking. Just a thought on that. Rather than a gate over the kitchen doorway, or even more frustrating trying to teach the cat to stay out of the kitchen while you're cooking, just put the cat in whatever room has a good strong door the cat can't open. While you're at it, you might want to consider getting a latch, a hook and eye wiil do, for your knife drawer. hardware store has those too.

Last edited:

NateInkwell

New Kitten Daddy
Kitten
Purraise
You are so right to get a baby gate for the kitchen if you don't have a door. I hate open concept, it doesn't protect animals or children.

Just a thought on baby gates, have them, use them, definitely in favor of them. However, you'll want to get the ones that have a hook and eye set up where you put the eye part in the wall and then hook the body of the gate to it. The reason is you will not be home the moment your kitten gets enough weight to bring the gate crashing down when he climbs it. That is just the way cats and life are.

Baby gates keep, don't throw out the box it comes in. You may need it later in case you find another kitten or a puppy. You are totally in the right place with no kittens in the kitchen while you're cooking. Just a thought on that. Rather than a gate over the kitchen doorway, or even more frustrating trying to teach the cat to stay out of the kitchen while you're cooking, just put the cat in whatever room has a good strong door the cat can't open. While you're at it, you might want to consider getting a latch, a hook and eye wiil do, for your knife drawer. hardware store has those too.
It actually has a doorframe, just no door. I would put a full door in if they weren't so expensive. I have seen the marvels of baby gates for pets on multiple occasions, and figured it's a better solution.