Muffin - Bad news vet visit today

Status
Not open for further replies.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I do hope that giving Muffin the liquid is not too stressful...for either of you...and that it helps perk him up.

princess123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do not want to  give false hope but when princess had her Xray there was also <<something<< seen in her stomach , the ultra sound came back clean nothing was there

I am not sure your position but maybe you can stimulate the  appetite , do the ultrasound and go from there. My baby is 13 yrs and thank God still here . I wish you all the best with what ever decision you make but make sure it is for your baby<s benefit first ok

My prayers are with you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I gave him the liquid last night. This morning, he actually began eating his cat food. It was time for his appetite stimulant, thyroid medicine and another dose of the prednisolone. He had gotten so slack with his eating, the pill pockets were not working anymore and I have been giving him his medicine disguised in pieces of raw shrimp. Then when he gets that, he wanted more not cat food. But I put the cat food there first this morning and he ate a fair amount. I gave him another dose of the liquid prednisolone and then gave him the other two medicines in shrimp pieces. I left him alone on the porch and left the rest of the food he didn't eat. When I came back from running my errands, he had eaten the rest of his morning meal. And he is begging for more, even now. So I think this may be proof that the prednisone tablets were not being metabolized by his liver.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Where did you get the crab and the fish paste. I have some fresh trout cleaned in my freezer. If I need to I can try that.
I got both at an upscale food store - the crab was canned. I also tried lobster, which he ate a couple of times. There were a couple of different kinds of fish paste, which I used as a topper.

That's good news about the prednisolone! :clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm SO glad to hear that Muffin is eating.  
  Seem too coincidental, huh, that there would be such a change after starting the different med. 

I am concerned about this nationwide shortage of prednisolone. That is what Sebastian is on, as well as many other pets.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm SO glad to hear that Muffin is eating.  :hugs:   Seem too coincidental, huh, that there would be such a change after starting the different med.  :scratch:

I am concerned about this nationwide shortage of prednisolone. That is what Sebastian is on, as well as many other pets.
My vets wife told me yesterday when I went there to hold onto even the prednisone pills. She said they can't even get them right now.:nod:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad that Muffin is eating again.  I don't know what the deal with prednisolone is, it's been going on for a long time now.  What I have been able to find out about it always says a shortage of raw ingredients.  I know it was a sudden problem.  I went to refill Patches prescription and they didn't have any.  I didn't even call first I just went on a Saturday to get a refill.  It was my vets Saturday to work and she switched him to the dexamethasone.  He has done well on it.  She has just kept him on the dex because supplies of prednisolone have been hit or miss.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just checking in and letting you know I'm thinking of you and the Muffin man.  
  How's he doing?

roxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad Muffin started eating better. I didn't realize there was such a difference in the way the body metabolizes the two preds. I have a much easier time getting liquid meds in my cats. I usually end up getting scratched or bitten with the pills. If you can't get either prednisone or prednisolone, let me know. I have a brand new bottle of liquid prednisone and a few pills. The pills are about a year old so they may not be any good now. Bubba hasn't needed to take anymore of the prednisone since he finished the first bottle. I had it refilled just in case. This was the first time I've used the liquid. I had to get this at my pharmacy. Normally the vet just gives me the pills at his office. I hope you can get more of the prednisolone since it seems to be working.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks GoHolistic and Roxie. My vet had a little bit of the liquid prednisolone and some pills, probably enough to keep him going about two months or a little less. The prednisone is what I was giving him and it was not working. I have some of those pills in a bottle but have had to put them aside. I appreciate your offer and will keep it in mind. My vet told me not to get rid of the prednisone pills as they are getting hard for them to get too. Roxie, I think the reason Muffin had the problem with the prednisone pills is because his liver is probably not working right since he had liver cancer last year and had part of it removed. Now the vet says his cancer is back but we don't know where. Muffin is being given care on a daily basis for whatever time he has left.
He is now getting used to the liquid. When it is gone I will go back to the pills. My vet said the liquid or the pills that are prednisolone can be used alike. By the way, he is eating good now.
I had to start him back on an appetite stimulant soon after he was started on the prednisone. He took the prednisone about three weeks before I put two and two together and realized it could be the problem. This morning was the day he should have had the appetite stimulant but he ate without it. So now I am only going to give him that on an if needed basis, not every three day.s

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Great news that you managed to get a couple of months supply of the Prednisolone and Muffin eating well without an apetite stimulant.  

What a determined cat he is, and a well pampered one.  Good for you.
 Long may this continue for you.  

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, eating without the appetite stimulant is excellent! 
  So glad to hear. Hugs for you both. 

roxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's great that he ate without the stimulant! I had read in some of the posts about his liver cancer. I don't know why I didn't put that and the fact that his liver probably doesn't metabolizes the way it should together. He's definitely a fighter and so are you!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hubby shucked some oysters last night.. The three of us, hubby, myself and Muffin had some for supper. Today after church he steamed the rest of them outside on a cooker. Muffin and I had them to eat. My cat really loves his seafood. Those shrimp and the oysters really do stimulate his appetite. :nod:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hubby shucked some oysters last night.. The three of us, hubby, myself and Muffin had some for supper. Today after church he steamed the rest of them outside on a cooker. Muffin and I had them to eat. My cat really loves his seafood. Those shrimp and the oysters really do stimulate his appetite.
Nice! Muffin's got expensive taste!  
  Glad to hear he liked the oysters, too.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever it takes, he is going to get it if we can. He is a much loved cat.
I know he is.  
  And you can be assured he's loved by all of us, even from a distance. 

I wonder if a field trip to your local fish market might be warranted. You could check out fresh clams, mussels, scallops, salmon, tuna (sushi), sardines.... 

Status
Not open for further replies.