Muffin - Bad news vet visit today

Status
Not open for further replies.

krashballz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww, Muffin :) I love that he only eats when you hand feed him lol. I've been following your thread, and I'm so glad he ate something finally! Did you ever try giving him Gerber baby food meats? Krash would eat a couple of spoonfuls at least. I hope you can get him to keep taking the pill pockets. When Krash stopped eating those and we had to start giving pills the old fashioned way, that's when things got really stressful. If you find another trick that works, please share!
Here's to hoping that Muffin keeps eating and only gets better from here on out :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not yet tried the Gerber baby food meats. But I have tried every kind of cat food I can think of. When I looked for the Gerber Baby food meats, I couldn't find them at the store I was in at the time. He did eat the pill pocket tonight with his steroid medicine in it. In the morning it will be time for his appetite stimulant. I am giving that to him as soon as my feet hit the floor and hope it will help him this time. After a long, long day at church, I had to come home and clean him shrimp again. Before I gave him that I tried dried food, Friskies, two kinds of Fancy Feast. He did not eat any of that. I am going to try to get some fish. I know all this seafood is not good for him. But I tried some pork meat tonight too and he wouldn't eat it. Does anyone have any magic tricks now. I need them. I am going to call Muffin's vet in the morning to see if he can offer any suggestions. Muffin is slow, but he is acting good. Last night I brought him in the living room, spread a blanket on my leather sofa and laid down with him. He purred and loved me and went to sleep. He was enjoying it so much. But things don't look good for Muffin if he won't start eating again. I know his time has to come, but I am so not ready. I can hardly bear to think about it. :nod:

krashballz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think it matters at this point whether he's eating what's good for him or not. Anything is better for him than nothing.
Krash seems to like the Gerber Turkey with turkey gravy. It's a tiny little jar, but he only eats a teaspoon or so at a time. Also, @mrsgreenjeens (she is a goldmine for knowledge and ideas) suggested one thing that helped kickstart him eating again. She told me to warm his food up. I warmed Fancy Feast in the microwave for like 10 seconds. It wasn't too hot, but it made the aroma so much stronger that I think he smelled it and remembered what he was supposed to do. After that, I've only had a couple of times that he wouldn't eat. I don't even need to warm it up now. I don't want him to get used to it warm so that maybe I can use that trick again later if I need to. You may have mentioned this before, I'm sorry if I just missed it, but have you tried syringe feeding Muffin? Also, yogurt, deli turkey...Krash loves the cheap, thin sliced sandwich meats. I don't know how good any of that is for them, but when they don't eat anything else it's better than nothing. My brother had a cat that quit eating and the only thing they could get him to eat was chicken strips from Jack in the Box- talk about unhealthy. But it ended up saving the kitty's life overall. So you never know :)
I hope Muffin gets over this hurdle. You're a good mommy and an outstanding person for trying to help him.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does anyone have any magic tricks now. I need them.

I know his time has to come, but I am so not ready. I can hardly bear to think about it. :nod:
Barb, have you tried Fortiflora? Even a dusting can spark up the appetite. Ask the vet. They sell it or you can order it on line from Amazon. I honestly cannot remember IF you have tried that or not.

Again, I understand and empathize all the way with you. The incredible and beautiful journey we are on is so amazing and filled with such elated joy and such deep sadness, when the time has come.... it is the most heartbreaking part of sharing a life. You are STILL making such beautiful memories to cherish with Muffin like the snuggling and loving on the couch in a blankie. He has you right now, and that is all he needs to get him through. He is not alone and could not be loved more. :heart3:

Barb, my prayers are with you during this most difficult time. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My thoughts and prayers go out to you. 
  Muffin has hung in there for so long and wouldn't have been able to do without your help. I know this is so difficult. Try to be a peace with what lies ahead. You and Muffin have shared so many precious years together. Having you by his side right now is probably the most comforting thing for him. 

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Barb, I am praying for you and Muffin that he will continue eating. It is a good thing that he is still purring and happy to be with you, even if his appetite is not good. Toby did the same thing, being increasingly picky and eating less each time, and not responding to the appetite stimulant. If he likes fish, you might try getting some raw salmon and tuna, and cutting it up for him. It has a nice texture and is easy to eat. Toby always loved that. Also Toby ate Hills prescription A/D, because it was easy to lick. Those were the last things he ate on his own. I would think of things like that- things that are easy for him to digest and are palatable. 

I think it is just so wonderful that your husband went out and fished for fresh shrimp for beautiful sweetest Muffin. You are both the best parents ever. And your spreading a blanket out for your boy, that is the nicest thing too. 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update on Muffin: Yesterday and today he has eaten. I just got home from church and have fed him late tonight but he acted interested when I sat his bowl down with the wet Friskies food. I am still having an issue getting his medicine in him. For now his pill pockets have become a piece of boiled shrimp with the pill hidden deep inside. My goodness, does anyone think maybe he is spoiled. Some meals I have to sit on the kitchen floor and feed him with a spoon. :lol3: Just one day at the time. :nod:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww.....so great to hear Muffin still wants to eat. 
  And yes, he is most definitely spoiled...rightfully so! 

Hmm...I'm not sure what could top boiled shrimp.  
  My cats go nuts for lunch meat turkey. I'll only let Boo have a little taste, and he goes crazy for it. If you haven't tried it, you could try wrapping his medicine up in lunch meat (turkey, ham, roast beef, etc.).

Continued thoughts and hugs for you both. 
  Lots of love for Muffin. 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think all this love you guys are sending is keeping him going. He is a special cat and I love him.:nod:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear that Muffin is having a couple of good days and eating for you! Keeping up the vibes to you both. :heart2: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think all this love you guys are sending is keeping him going. He is a special cat and I love him.
   I can tell how much you love your boy.  Be assured that Muffin knows how much you love him, too.

I find myself sitting on the kitchen floor with Sebastian more often lately, too...to give him love and encouragement and tell him that everything will be okay. I think they really do love when you get down at their level and just be in their presence. I was telling Sebastian about Muffin the other day. Sebastian was looking directly in my face very intently as I was speaking, and then put his paw on my arm (for real). It's like he was saying, "Muffin will be alright...no matter what happens."  

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for caring so much, how could he not get better with all that love and attention. Just take it one day at a time and know you are so lucky to have Muffin to love for one more day. Here's to many, many more. Good luck.

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sending good vibes your way!!!  I check in often, but don't post much.  Just know I think about you and Muffin throughout my day.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now this makes me cry. Thank you and Sebastian so much for caring. Sometimes I think these cats know a lot more than we give them credit for. :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.