Muffin - Bad news vet visit today

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We are not going to consider a feeding tube. for Muffin. I am doing everything I know to keep him eating on his own. He will not tolerate brushing at all. I think it is probably painful for him sometimes when I rub him because he has some knotted fur. I tried for a while to use my seam ripper to him the tangles, but he started trying to bite me. I will try to unscented baby wipes or the microfiber cloth. Also I am going to talk to the vet's office about B-12 shots for him. I was there yesterday to pick up some pill pockets, but they were totally busy and I decided to wait to ask about that. He did eat well the last two meals with the Forti Flora over his food.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well here I am again posting an update for my Muffin Boy. I was at the vet's this morning checking on this prednisolone that I needed. The vet's wife was helping me. When I told her about how Muffin has slowed down and seems to be getting swollen or bloated looking, along with some wheezing she said her husband needs to see him. She said it is probably fluid building up.
Now I feel terrible. I didn't realize this and was really hesitant to take Muffin in to the vet because I don't want him poked and prodded. Anyway, I have an appointment for him at eleven thirty in the morning. I did ask if it is fluid, how is it treated. She said if it is a lot, with a needle. Need prayers and positive thoughts for my boy .....and for me. I can't do this by myself. Hubby is probably going to have to go too.:nod:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tons of
for Muffin and lots of 
for you and your family.  You have all been so brave through all of this.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Barb, I am so sorry to hear this. I hope the fluid buildup is not in his lungs and that they do not have to tap his lungs to remove the fluid :-(. That is not a good thing. Please let me know what they say about this. My question to them would be how long before the fluid returns. Also if possibly the prednisolone could help to reduce it moving forward, if it is fluid in response to inflammation in the area of his cancer. 

My thoughts are with you 
. I  have been wondering how Muffin is doing while at the same time happy that I ahve not seen more posts as it would mean he is doing ok. Hoping he is still all right. 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Barb, I am so sorry to hear this. I hope the fluid buildup is not in his lungs and that they do not have to tap his lungs to remove the fluid :-(. That is not a good thing. Please let me know what they say about this. My question to them would be how long before the fluid returns. Also if possibly the prednisolone could help to reduce it moving forward, if it is fluid in response to inflammation in the area of his cancer. 

My thoughts are with you :alright: :alright: :alright: :alright: :heart2: :heart2: :heart2: :heart2: ​:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: . I  have been wondering how Muffin is doing while at the same time happy that I ahve not seen more posts as it would mean he is doing ok. Hoping he is still all right. 
Thanks everyone. Barb, he has been on two pills a day of prednisolone already. I asked her what the treatment was if he has fluid. She said depends on how much and he might have to get a needle. That is all she said. I had no idea about a needle in the lungs. If you have any details or more info, would you send me a PM. thanks

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am posting about Muffin's vet visit this morning. He was stressed when he realized he was in the cat carrier and the car. When the vet examined him, he said some amount of fluid is there. He said he doesn't think it is all fluid. He also said he can't feel a solid mass like he did before in Muffin's abdomen, but more bumpy and lumpy and most of his swelling is probably this. He explained how drawing off fluid is stressful to the cat, and not without risk, one being going into shock. He said the only reason to draw it off would be it Muffin was so uncomfortable he could not lay down and be comfortable. After the way he explained it to us, I don't think we will ever want to do that. Whenever Muffin gets that obviously uncomfortable, my vote is going to be say goodbye. I have always felt that my cats lived dignified and I want them to die with a measure of that dignity. While we were there he took his clippers and clipped all the knotted hair he could find on Muffins abdomen and back. Hubby and I tried to work on some of it last night, but it really aggravates my cat. I am hoping now that he will tolerate a little bit of brushing every day. He had lost about six ounces since his last vet visit in April. Right now, I am just very thankful we did not have to stress him any more than we did. Keep the prayers coming and thank you.

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad the fluid build-up isn't so severe that something has to be done immediately. Being rid of those knots must be more comfortable for him, too. Mega :vibes::vibes::vibes: that he still has a lot of good days to come!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Relieved to hear the vet didn't feel things were serious enough to warrant doing anything else and Muffin didn't have any more trauma that the vet visit, car journey and the fur clipping.  Hope he is more comfortable without the clumps of fur and is settling down since you got him home.  Wishing you all some nice restful days without any new worries. 

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Barb, Thank you for giving us an update. I am so glad to hear that your vet helped cut away some of Muffin's mattings and that he helped to explain about the fluid.  I think you are making the right decisions every step of the way. Plus if you drain the fluid, it will likely return anyhow. Here is an article about fluid buildup in cancer patients.http://www.livestrong.com/article/305448-causes-of-fluid-buildup-in-cancer-patients/  

I understand too about cutting his mattings yourself- if it really aggravates him, then it is better to let it go unless it is interfering in some way with his movement or comfort. You are taking such wonderful care of him and he is so lucky that you are his mom. 

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with what everybody said. You're doing great and staying strong. You're in tune with Muffin, and will know what to do every step of the way. I'm sure getting rid of the mats will make him more comfortable. And I also think it's great that he only lost six ounces since April. You're doing a good job at keeping Muffin eating.

Lots of 
and
for you and your boy.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Muffin in pretty laid back today. I think he has recovered from his trauma yesterday. However, I just found this. I cleaned the litter box in the garage where the cats sleep. After I fed them, they went back out there because Hubby was going to power wash the porch and back steps. When he finally finished all that and it dried, I got Muffin and Mattie to put them out. Muffin had a large place of dried blood mixed with clumps of cat litter on his tail in the fur. We cleaned him up and looked the best we could and found nothing. The overnight poop was already gone so I can't examine that. His butt and around it was clean, so it didn't look like something had passed from there. I am wondering if Mattie bit him. I am going to have to do some more looking. I am stressed. He doesn't need a cat bite on top on everything else.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uh oh. Well, if it was a little nip, then it might not be anything to worry about. Definitely keep an eye on his poo, though. This would be my biggest concern. 

I hope it's nothing! 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Could he have been chewing himself because he was upset about the vet visit? :cross: that it's nothing serious.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hoping it's just been a scratch or something and nothing to worry about.   

Have you checked Mattie as well, and keep an eye on both of them for the litter evidence?

Hope it's a one off and just been from a nick or something and healed up.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I worked on Muffin a while this afternoon, going after some of the small kinks the vet didn't get. He tolerated it pretty well. While doing that I inspected his tail up and down and found nothing.
It was more blood than what a scratch would be and the fact there was cat litter in it stuck to his tail really makes me wonder about the cat poo. I am going to have my eyes out for this and inspect everything. I would have seen it this morning except things were in a stir with hubby wanting to do the power washing on the porch. You gotta pitch in and help them while they are in the mood. There is no time for inspecting anything when they are waiting for you to get things out of the way so they can start their project.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be cat poo with blood in it due to his cancer but it would be a bleeding malignant polyp from his cancer. I would ask the vet what is recommended in this scenario. Fresh blood is not the worst thing though since I think it would result from stool pushing against growths, more a byproduct of him having the illness and not the illness itself if u know what I mean :-(. http://www.cat-world.com.au/Cat-Health-Collection/blood-in-cat-stool.html  I really hope that it is nothing at all :-( but I am thinking, hoping, that it is a lesser evil than other things!!  I think of your sweet boy and just want to give your whole family a big hug
, I can feel the love and caring you all have for each other through all this. As long as Muffin is feeling ok that is what counts.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be cat poo with blood in it due to his cancer but it would be a bleeding malignant polyp from his cancer. I would ask the vet what is recommended in this scenario. Fresh blood is not the worst thing though since I think it would result from stool pushing against growths, more a byproduct of him having the illness and not the illness itself if u know what I mean :-(. http://www.cat-world.com.au/Cat-Health-Collection/blood-in-cat-stool.html I really hope that it is nothing at all :-( but I am thinking, hoping, that it is a lesser evil than other things!!  I think of your sweet boy and just want to give your whole family a big hug :grphug: , I can feel the love and caring you all have for each other through all this. As long as Muffin is feeling ok that is what counts.
When we washed him, there was no odor to what was there. It was blood with dried cat litter stuck to it. I am thinking of separating him and Mattie for the night so I can check his litter box good in the morning. I do hope Mattie didn't bite him. My vet is going to be gone Friday and Monday. Wouldn't you just know it.:nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.