Moving Houses But Feeding Two Strays

OwnedByScout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've been feeding two stray cats for about 2 months now - a male and a female. We also have cat of our own who is indoors most of the time. The female one was pregnant when we started feeding her and from the looks of it, she seems to have had kittens but we don't know where and if they even survived. We've never seen them.

Both look like they are about a year old. We are now moving houses and we were wondering what options are available to us. We cannot move the female since her kittens (if they are alive) depend on her. We are mutually very fond of each other. The male looks strong and healthy but he won't let us pet him. The new house is pretty far from where we are right now so we cannot keep coming here everyday to feed them. Can anyone think of other options?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It would be very sad to just leave them. They have now become dependent on you for food. Yet the cats need to be spayed/neutered. When you take the responsibility of feeding stray cats, you also need to care for them which means spay/neuter. Humane traps are not very expensive to rent. You can easily trap the cats and take them to be spayed/neutered and vaccines.

I would then take them to your new home. If they are to be allowed back outside, they will first need to be crated for 3-4 weeks to acclimate to their new surroundings. If you just allow them to be outside, they will try to find their way back to their home. It is a cats instinct.

The kittens also will need to be spay/neutered. Many can be altered as young as 8 week/2 lbs.

The world is full of unwanted stray cats. These cats will continue to reproduce over and over and over. Please help them by getting them spayed/neutered. If you need assistance, try calling the Humane Society/ASPCA or local rescues in your area. Be careful that shelters are no kill only.

Thank you for caring about these cats. I hope you can find a way to continue to help them.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I agree with what shadowsrescue shadowsrescue mentioned.

If you can bring both of them when you shift and before the female give birth would be good. After she has given birth, and kittens weaned, have them adopted, if you can't keep them all. But I'm sure you'll keep a couple.

After that have both of them spayed and neutered and vaccinated. Keep them indoors if possible. Cats live longer and happier indoors.

Otherwise, have someone look after them while you move and after settling down, come back for them and the kittens. They will miss you if you don't come back for them.

Hope they go with you :wink:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OwnedByScout OwnedByScout

The female cat should be bringing her kittens to you for food soon. Mom has them hidden somewhere for now.

You said she was pregnant when you first began feeding her 2 months ago. How many weeks ago did you notice her no longer being pregnant? That's how old the kittens are now.

She may be pregnant again already as well.

I agree that trapping the cats, fixing them, and moving them with you is the way to go. They sound like a bonded pair as well, and they have absolutely come to depend on you.

If you give us your city and state, I can locate a low-cost spay/neuter clinic for you.

Thanks for caring about these cats! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OwnedByScout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your suggestions folks!

@shadowrescue: Not sure if the mama cat should be spayed right now when she is still feeding her kittens. I'm sure we cannot take them in to our house. We looked for a solution where we could come to this house periodically and feed them but that would continue the dependancy and our trips would be unpredictable. I know this sounds cruel but anyway to not have them depend on us? I do see dead birds once in a while on the apartment complex grounds. My main worry is if we leave them now, will they adapt to hunt for food again.

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 Its been about 3 weeks now since we saw her without her big belly. I'm guessing thats how old the kittens are now. Unfortunately we cannot keep any :(

tabbytom tabbytom I think she has already given birth to kittens. Which means I cannot neuter the mama cat.

For now I'm in touch with an NGO who has volunteers who come and feed them. I hope this works out.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
If you can, spay her soon after the kittens are weaned (6 - 8 weeks) if not she could get pregnant again after this litter of kittens.

I do hope that it'll work out with the volunteers and after that you can come and bring all of them home with you. Hope that the volunteers can get the kittens foster out or adopted to good homes. And you can come back for the adults.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OwnedByScout OwnedByScout

When do you move?

Mom will bring the kittens out when they are about 6 weeks old.

The mom, dad, and kittens will all need to be trapped and fixed and homes found.

What group are you working with? Do they trap and re-home?