Momma Cat On 65 Day Of Pregnancy. No Kittens

Why hasn’t she had her kittens yet ?

• Do I need to take her to vet ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I read were it could take up to 70 days. Is this true ? Never heard that before.

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

msdeb39

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am very upset after reading several sites about not having your cat vaccinationed during pregnancy. I wish I had of read this before I took mine. Stray cat came to my house about 2 months ago. Skinny and hungry. I started feeding her. Eventually let her in the house. She kept getting bigger and bigger. I knew she was pregnant. Took her to the vet to get her check out. They did ultra sound. She had 5 or more kittens fully developed. Due anytime now. They vacccainated her. Then gave me a paper. Do not vaccinate a pregnant cat I am going to call them tomorrow. I hope nothing is going to be wrong with her kittens. Why did they do that ?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

msdeb39

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am very upset after reading several sites about not having your car vaccinationed during pregnancy. I wish I had of read this before I took mine. Stray cat came to my house about 2 months ago. Skinny and hungry. I started feeding her. Eventually let her in the house. She kept getting bigger and bigger. I knew she was pregnant. Took her to the vet to get her check out. They did ultra sound. She had 5 or more kittens fully developed. Due anytime now. They vacccainated her. Then gave me a paper. Do not vaccinate a pregnant cat I am going to call them tomorrow. I hope nothing is going to be wrong with her kittens. Why did they do that ?
I am going to have her fixed after kittens are born. I will find good homes for the kittens. I love animals would be very upset if something was wrong with kittens because of this.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Either the vet didn't realize the cat was pregnant -- that should be a red flag if you told him she'd just come inside and she is showing -- or he did it because he didn't think you'd bring her back and thought it was to protect her -- or he did it for the money and not the cat.

Since they told you she is pregnant and gave you the paper saying not to vaccinate pregnant cats I'd check around to see what other vets in your area are like.

msdeb39

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called the vet Monday morning. They only gave her a rabies shot which is ok. Usually they give them the distemper shot with it. That is the one you don’t give a pregnant cat. She is on day 65 now. No kittens yet. I can feel them kicking. She doesn’t like any of the nesting places I fixed for her. She lays on the wood floor. We don’t have any carpet. I have 2 closets fixed for her. She has only been in them once.

msdeb39

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
0512E16F-8604-4591-AED8-9739900C58E3.jpeg
B4708098-4A27-4B39-9C3A-6B5B434906EC.jpeg
Momma Cat is on day 65 of her pregnancy. I made 3 nesting places for her in 2 different closets. So nice and soft covers. She lays on wood floors only been in her nesting places twice. At night she will get in bed with me and lay on my belly. I can feel kittens kicking. Stay a little while on bed get back down lay on floor. Seems like it is taking forever. Vet estimated she is 2 years old. Second liter of kittens. Someone dropped her off and 2 kittens. The neighbor took 1 kitten and I kept the other one. Was not going to let momma cat in. She knew her kitten was in my house and would sit on deck and meow for her. Kittens were 4 months old then. Only had them 3 months. Well momma cat was skinny and hungry. I put food out for her everyday in my screen in porch. I knew what time she was going to come and eat every night. I would sit out there and wait for her. Took me about a week to get her to come to me. Let her in one night and she was so playful. Her and her kitten are the sweetest cats I have ever had. Always take my animals and have them fixed. Was going to take her then her kitten when she got old enough. Momma Cat slipped out one night. I remember the date because it was my nephew birthday and company didn’t know she couldn’t go out. Found her the next morning in the woods behind the house. That’s all it took was that one night she got out. Getting her fixed as soon as kittens are 5 weeks old. Hoping to find good homes for her kittens. I will want to keep all of them. Already had a dog and cat when the 2 new ones came to my house. That is old picture of her she is bigger now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Be patient. She will have her kittens in the next few days. It sounds like all is well!

Thanks for caring for her! :)

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I called the vet Monday morning. They only gave her a rabies shot which is ok. Usually they give them the distemper shot with it. That is the one you don’t give a pregnant cat. She is on day 65 now. No kittens yet. I can feel them kicking. She doesn’t like any of the nesting places I fixed for her. She lays on the wood floor. We don’t have any carpet. I have 2 closets fixed for her. She has only been in them once.
Pregnancy usually lasts between 65 and 71 days. All seems well and hopefully she will choose one of the nests you have prepared. Best wishes.
Please keep us posted.

msdeb39

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still waiting. It don’t seem like kittens are moving around as much now. I am going to have a breakdown before she has these kittens. Have not had a cat with kittens in over 25 years. She still doesn’t like any of her nesting places. Lays in bed with me and rubs my face and nibbles on my nose. Then she gets down. Tonight she is on a rug at the side of my bed. I can not even sleep at night. Want go anywhere except the Dollar General down the road.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suppose she has dropped now as kittens not very movable?

Ie seems less big?

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
msdeb39 please relax and try to enjoy this new experience. It is normal for the kittens to become less active and even to stop moving as labor time approaches. The 65-71 gestation days is a general estimation not always exact for individual cases.

Are you able to answer advisor StefanZ's questions? If by tomorrow your reply is negative and you are sure of the pregnancy dates have her seen by your vet
if only to put your mind at ease.

msdeb39

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This morning momma cat has had watery diarrhea. All over her behind. I put her in bedroom by herself. Checked on her every 30 minutes to an hour. Sometimes she would be in her nesting place. Other times she would be in window seal looking outside. One time she was on my bed. Which is really high up. My bed is prepared for her to have kittens there if she wants to. Have pee pads all up under a old bed spread. I sleep on top of bedspread. One promblem. She showed up here with a kitten who is 6 months old. They are inseparable. Kitten kept meowing outside bedroom door. Momma Cat ( by the way is her name ) would want out. Finally let Momma Cat out this afternoon. She has cleaned and cleaned her 6 month old kitten. Trying to keep them apart till she has kittens. Vet told me older kitten might try to nurse. Which she does now. Momma Cat will move away from her. Worried about Momma Cat. Don’t know what to do about her other kitten. Going to try to post picture. I called the Vet and told her about the discharge and her being on day 67 and ask if I need to bring her in. She said no. Momma Cat will do just fine.

msdeb39

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And yes I am positive of delivery date. Found a text to my sister the only day she had been out since I have had her. She got out on August 28, Pouring down rain. I could not find her. The next morning found her in woods behind shed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let her kitten stay with her mama for now. Mama will let her kitten know if she wants her to back off.

The new kittens will be here soon! Diarrhea often precedes labor by a day or two. It’s mama’s system cleaning out ahead of the big job. Clean mama’s bottom with a warm wash cloth if need be so she does not get raw.

She’s getting there. Keep us posted!

msdeb39

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your support. She has not even bothered to get back in her nesting place again. She is doing fine and eating. Let kitten stay with us last night. Her new place is laying on top of a box in dining room all day. Other than eat and go to liter box. Reminds me. I read not to get the clumping liter until after she has the kittens. She hates the non clumping liter. She will go in other bedroom and use our older cats liter box during the day.

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It should be ok to let her kitten stay with her, my cat had a sibling who was also inseparable and the vet told me as long as they are familiar and friendly, it would most likely be ok for them to stay together. And it was, sister cat helped her clean her babies and watched over them when they were very tiny, it was like two parents! Mom would even go back and forth from me and her sister after she gave birth to get love and cuddles, it was the most adorable thing! I'll post some pictures. Try to be patient and enjoy, she's not too far off now! Oh, and in reference to her not using any of the nests, they usually won't up until they are literally ready to birth, because in the wild, a used nest is dirty/ smelly and will attract predators. My cat did not use hers until she was actively in labor, I never saw her give it a second glance until then. Good luck!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
msdeb39 msdeb39

Mama can continue to use clumping litter.

It’s the kittens who cannot have clumping litter until they are older, and especially when they are litter training at around 5-8 weeks as kittens like to taste everything. Clumping litter can clog up their insides.

You’ll use a small kitten-sized litter box with non-clumping litter at that point just for the kittens. :)