Momma Cat On 65 Day Of Pregnancy. No Kittens

Why hasn’t she had her kittens yet ?

• Do I need to take her to vet ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I read were it could take up to 70 days. Is this true ? Never heard that before.

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

msdeb39

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been so upset have not been able to post about her kittens. Thursday I had doctors appointment downtown Nashville. About an hour away. Plus my parents who are both 83 that I unusually visit once or twice a week live there. Because of momma cat. Had not been to see them in 3 weeks. I left the house at 8:45 am Got home at 1:30 pm. Momma Cat had 2 kittens 1 was dead. She was pushing really hard and bleeding. I went out and burry the poor little kitty that looked just like momma cat. Thinking when I got back in she would have had another one. She was still pushing and the she would just fall over she was exhausted. I called the vet at 2:30. She told me to wait another hour or so. Cats usually don’t have any problems. I called my friend that rescues cat. She told me to call her vet. I did. They told me to get her to the pet emergency hospital ASAP. We got there around 4:00. She had another kitten right has we pulled in. I could not see it in back of cage. They took her and kittens immediately to the back and done X Ray on momma cat. She had to have a C section. They would call me in 30 minutes to let me know how many more kittens she had and that the one she had when we got there was dead. It was calico. They said it would be about 3 to 4 hours. I could leave and come back to pick her up. I set in the car and cried my eyes out. Trying to think what or were I could go to cheer me up. Finally I went got my granddaughter took her out to eat. My Grandson wife came to because she was locked out of house. Then went to see their house they just moved into when my grandson got off work. They are not cat people at all. Vet called and said she had 4 more kittens in her one stuck in the birth canal. Other 3 had very faint heartbeats. They would try to save them if possible. I have wanted a white kitten for years. Had one growing up. Husband told me he didn’t care if she had 20 white kittens we were not keeping any of them. We had to many pets to feed now. I told slight chance she would even have a white kitten and it wasn’t going to happen. I went to pick her and the 2 kittens up that lived. They told me she did not have a lot of milk. She was being very mean to them. Could be the medicine in the IV. They put kittens in a box. Her in her cage. She acted crazy all the way home. She was shacking the cage and growling like a bear. I called my neighbor to meet me and help me get them all separated. I let her out she wanted her kittens. She did fine with them Thursday,Friday,and Saturday night. Got up Sunday morning kittens were covered in fleas. Called the vet who done the surgery. Told me to give them a bath in dawn. Momma Cat needed frontline. My sister and her friend gave them a bath while I vaccum and mop floor with pine sol and wash her covers. We don’t have carpet. All my company left she was nursing when they left. She got up wanted out of closet and started meowing like crazy. Wanted to love on me. Would not go back to her kittens. This went on for 4 hours. I tried to bottle feed them. Momma Cat kept trying to knock kitten out of my hand. Earlier I thought maybe it is the blanket. So I washed and dried the blanket that was in there. She lay down and started nursing the kittens. I will definitely be switching vets. Going to make sure they are cat friendly. I feel like the one I was using cater to dogs more. In the paper they gave me the first time I took her. It said cats are not grandchildren and are very over populated. Then it also said never vaccinate a pregnant cat. Vet vaccinated her that day. She also did ultrasound told me she counted 5 fully developed kittens kicking. Due anytime. I called them every week asking if I should bring her in. Especially the week before I could not feel them kicking when she laid on my stomach at night. I know I said I knew the exact date she got out and she was acting like she was in heat. I had only had her 2 weeks. I didn’t let her in when I let kittens in. She would not come to me. Found kitten under my deck July 30, then momma cat came later. She would sit outside and meow for her kitten. I let her in about a month later. If she was pregnant then. She would have been way overdue. Since the vet said 3 plus weeks ago she was due anytime. She should have wanted me to bring her back in. Sorry for such a long story. Had to get it off my chest to someone who understands. I will post pictures in a few minutes.

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you had such a terrible experience! RIP little babies. Mama and her babies are beautiful, I hope that things get better for you. I'm saying prayers for all of you. Keep us updated!
:alright: :vibes::vibes::vibes:

msdeb39

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We think 1 boy 1 girl
I thought I got momma cat calm down tonight. She is still pacing the floor want nurse kittens unless I lay in closet and rub her head while babies nurse. Wish I knew for sure she has milk. She has stitches from C section and they went ahead and fixed her to. Maybe she is hurting today. Seems like she is breathing hard. Check her temp. It was normal. I weighed the kittens today. They both weigh 5.75 oz. which I think is good for day 3 days.
Earlier she wanted to move her kittens to the other bedroom. She got mad when i wouldn’t let her. That is the dogs room and the evil black that I am afraid would kill them. She acts. Like she is trying to tell me something.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor thing. :( That sounds traumatic for both of you! It sounds like you bring her a lot of comfort and reassurance. I'm glad you have another vet to consult now!

Are you weighing the kittens? I would do that maybe twice a day for now to see if they are gaining weight. Then once a day if they are stable.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m so sorry you had to go through all that. It sounds very stressful.

The kittens who did not make it were likely in the birth canal and deprived of oxygen for too long.

It’s a good thing you went to the other vet for the c-section, as all kittens and mom could have died. The first vet gave you bad advice. When a cat is pushing for an hour without success, it’s always an emergency.

It’s good that mama was spayed during her surgery.

Mama cat needs pain meds the first 3 days because she had major surgery and is sore. This is why she is hissing. Ask the vet for pain medicine.

She also wants privacy with her babies. She should settle down more over the next couple of days.

Give mom lots of wet and dry food and water, and if possible, a dish of kitten formula a day for extra calcium. Walmart has cans of powdered PetAg kitten formula for $10. It will last a good while.

The surviving kittens are precious!

Please keep us posted.

Last edited:

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you and your Queen have gone through such a difficult hard time and congratulate you on having changed vets in time to save mom and two of the little ones. Best wishes for a happy and safe continuation.

Very much looking forward to your future posts and hopefully many photos as the little ones grow up. Have you given them names?

msdeb39

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish I knew which one she had at home and which one at vet C section. She seems to like one better than the other. I am weighing them twice a day. Went in there today and didn’t see one of the kittens. Went into a panic. Found it under the cover. That one had gain 1 oz. since yesterday and the other 2 oz since yesterday. They have been gaining about the same. May be tonight. Both have been nursing for awhile. They don’t have couple of nipples to latch on to because of all the stables momma cat has. I try to help them. Every night I feed them a little with dropper. Very hard to do. They wiggle so much. Yes I have been giving momma cat some. She like it for a couple of days then wouldn’t drink it. That was the ready made liquid. Got the powder also for kittens after reading that powder was better and to keep it I. Freezer. Going to make momma cat up a bowl of it tonight.
I thought I would get some sleep for a couple of weeks now. Momma cat nurses kittens then gets in bed with me and talks to me in a mad meow voice. Probably about moving the kittens. Then wants me to love on her. Keeps me up till 4am in the morning. She worries about her 6 month old kitten. Trying to slowly introduce her to the kittens. She a little rough. She misses momma cat playing with her. They would put each other in a headlock and bite each other’s head. First thing she ttied with kittens. Had to put her out. The next day she was biting at their tails. She wants someone to play so bad. I have got all her toys out. She climbs up my leg and wants me to carry her on my shoulder even walks between shower curtain and liner while I am in shower. Tries to play with the evil black cat. Momma Cat will hear it hissing at kitten. I have to let her out. So she can let it know not to mess with her kitten. This morning I let her older kitten in she got in a small box that was in the closet with kittens and went to sleep. That is when momma cat settled down. When my boyfriend came in from work. Kitten gets in his bed and I shut the door. All is good at 4 in the morning. Example as soon as I open my door for kitten to come in and see her momma and kittens who were nursing she was running so fast. Jumped right in the middle of momma and kittens so out the door she went again. Poor kitten.

msdeb39

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Question I have been thinking about why this happened when she had already had a liter of kittens. I still think that Vet should not have vacanated her while she was pregnant and due anytime. Then gave me a paper that said kittens are not grandchildren and are over populated. Never vaccinate a pregnant cat could cause kittens to be died or deformed. When I called them about it, they said we gave you a paper that said that. I said yes. She went to talk to vet. Came back to phone and said they only gave her rabies shot not other shots she would be ok. They gave me her tags. When her kitten got her shot next day. I ask why I didn’t get tags. Because she had to come back. Did not get all her shots yet. Her appointment was the day after momma Cat had kittens and I did not take her. Will never go to that vet again. I think the shots killed the kittens and they knew it. Thought there were to many kittens already. They cater to dogs. Wish I had never even took her to vet till after kittens were born. I think she would have had all 6 alive and a normal birth. Now I have $1100.00 invested in a cat that show up at my house in September. I don’t even have a job. Have had 6 surgeries in two years and going to have another one before the end of year. Love my cat and kittens. Give me someone to talk to all day and night. Really was a blessing I can’t get out much. Most of the time by myself. Have been bored out of my mind.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anything can go wrong with any pregnancy in any species. It sounds as though the kittens had trouble in positioning to move into the birth canal. This may have created the delay in births. There was nothing you could have done except get her to the Vet. Once she reached the vet it sounds as though it happened again, keeping the other kittens from being born. Vets are very good about saving the kittens in emergency C-section births, so I believe you can take comfort in the thought that they did everything medically possible to save them.

msdeb39

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Babies are already over 8 oz. Wow they grow fast. Weight them twice a day to make sure momma still has milk. With all her staples. Only 2 to 3 nipples they can get to. I have to position them. Sometimes they will push each off to get to the same one. Will post pictures end of the week.

msdeb39

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens eyes open today. Only one eye on one of them. They are only 6 days old.
Question How can I tell if Momma Cat still has milk ? Vet told me when he done her C section last week she didn’t have much plus all her staples. Babies weight this morning at 10:20 1 was 8 oz even at 4:30 8.5 oz.
other one at 10:20 was 8.5 at 4:30 was 8.75
Yesterday they gain 2 oz. seem to be having a hard time nursing today. I have to leave to go to Nashville again want be home for a few hours. I will be so worried about them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Their weights are excellent for 6 days old. Kittens should weigh 8 ounces at 2 weeks, 12 ounces at 3 weeks, and 16 ounces (one pound) by 4 weeks.

Clearly, Mama has plenty of milk. :)

When do her staples come out?

Watch the kitten with just one eye open. Make sure the other eye is not stuck closed. Do not force it open, but wipe gently across it with a warm damp cloth if it does not open in the next 2-3 days.

msdeb39

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Staples can come out in 10 to 14 days. I think I will make appointment for next Tuesday. That will be 11 days. They look great. No redness around them. Sometimes if babies noses is close to staples while they are nursing. Their little noises will be red. It goes away.
I will wipe warm water over kittens eye that is not open. I tried to weight them again tonight. I get them mixed up. One has a pot belly. I thought it weighed less than the one that looked smaller. I have kitchen scales. They are so active. Crawl off scales. Couldn’t get weight. Looked like one was up to 9 oz. not sure about other. Weigh them again in the morning.
Momma Cat will sit on them. Lay on top of one while other one nurses. Is so rough when she cleans them. I told her she was a bad mother.

msdeb39

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was reading over some of my post. Sorry for the mistakes. I went to eye doctor. Have not got glasses yet. Have been getting dollar tree glasses for years. Now one eye is different from other. Everything up close is bury. My Dad got me a large and a small magnifying glass. I couldn’t see to write out his checks for his bills.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow, Miss Deb - you are so busy with family & four-footed crew!! I am so grateful that you took in a stray and have invested so much money, time and effort into her cause. You saved her from a horrific death, and her babies that survived are certainly thriving under your care. As was said earlier, likely the kittens in the birth canal too long passed from lack of oxygen and you did everything possible in your power to remedy the situation as quickly as possible. I thank God that you called your friend - I have been to dog-centric vets and yes, they tend to pooh-pooh cat issues. Those kitties are sure beauties and I am sure looking forward to seeing updates! :happycat::lovecat:

msdeb39

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No way I was going to let her die and kittens any more kittens if they could save them. No matter what the cost. Thank goodness for Care Credit. We have 5 cats and one dog. Momma Cat brought a kitten with her. She has the two kittens and we already had a 5 year old cat. Sometimes I think I live in a zoo. Have to separate them all. In three places if I go somewhere. Make sure they have food,water, and liter box in each place. I Love all of them.
Good news the one kitten open it’s other eye tonight. Be glad when they can all be together.
Want to get a pet playpen for kittens during the day so I don’t have to go in and out of bedroom all day.
Thank everyone for your support. I feel like I could be a vet now. I have learned so much.