Missing My Boys.

AdrianaV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Only two months after my Merlin has been gone (on June 5th, he was only 2 and a half years old), due to a serious heart disease, we noticed my other cat Lulinha, not even 2 years old, wasn't acting like himself, we took him to the vet and she said it could be FIP, I didn't know this horrible disease existed until then. After Merlin passed we noticed Lulinha got kinda down, like he was grieving, we think the stress of losing his friend triggered the virus, despite being a little less active he was seemingly fine until a little before August 1st when he lost his appetite. Since then we've been in and out of the vet with him, blood work, x-rays and ultrasound were done, they discovered his liver was not that great and he had a bit of fluid in the thorax and abdomen and a fever as well, they put him on antibiotics, diuretics, and something for the liver, he got better, was eating well, until August 6th, when his breathing got really labored (we discovered that there're no emergency vet clinics here or in the nearby cities so we had to wait until the morning, what a horrible night). He spent the day at the vet then, from 8am to 5pm, on oxygen therapy and diuretics, they took the fluid they could from him with a puncture, the vet told us it had a viscous consistency and its color was yellowish, pointing to FIP as well. He came home, his breathing was normal and he seemed better. On August 10th, unfortunately, it was confirmed that it was indeed the incurable FIP, and we had to take him to the vet yet again because he was having difficulty to breathe, but the puncture didn't improve his condition a lot that time, new meds were prescribed too but without improvement, despite our hopes for a miracle to happen we knew deep down his time to go was coming quicker than we've imagined and we wanted to do what was best for him, we talked to our vet about in home euthanasia but still hoping he would go peacefully in his sleep. We did everything we could to make him feel comfortable, safe, happy and loved in his last days on this side, I hope he knows it...
On August 11th Lulinha was gone, he went peacefully in his house, where he was very much loved, in my mom's arms, who was more of his person, to the Summerlands in an afternoon almost as beautiful as his short but bright life was, after a day of barely moving and not eating despite our efforts for him to, the vet came and he no longer feels any pain, the pain, deep and heavy is ours to deal with now, life without him will be so so so much harder...
You're such a special cat, Lulinha, so loving, so sweet, so funny, so full of energy, I hope you know how much better you made our lives by existing and choosing us, please forgive me for anything, for not being able to do more for you, and thank you for everything, you only brought us good moments.
I hope you felt comfortable, cared, protected, happy and loved in your time with us because you were and will always be loved, cherished and missed.
I hope you are having the best of times there on the other, best, side, and that we can meet again, be in peace and say hello to Merlin for me, I love you both so so so very much, see you in the next life, you'll always be in my heart.
We adopted Lulinha around April last year, someone abandoned him with his mother and siblings in the streets, a dog attacked them and he was the only one left alive.
He has been fixed and always strongly healthy, he used to be the most active and loving cat ever, it's still so hard to believe he's no longer here...
I keep having all sorts of thoughts, like, it's my fault because I've stressed him with my sadness over losing Merlin, or that I must've done something horrible and now I'm being punished by seeing my beloved cats suffer and die... I hope I did well.
Thank you for reading this mess and please keep them in your thoughts if you can.

12dezembro2.png

*Merlin on the left, Lulinha on the right.*

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Decades ago, my grandfather told me cats are short life, rarely reaching 5 years old.

Cats do understand very well what are the beginning and the end. Humans lost this capacity and feel guilty for anything that happens around the moment of starting of the Journey of any beloved creature, either human or animal. That is perhaps we want to find a reason in everything, in every event.

There is no reason, for nobody and no science in this world can understand the reasons. I am afraid cats know much more than we do: they understand the Mystery of Life, which has no pain in final breath, but getting back to the World of Dreams and Love.

Drops of milk and hugs.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Condolences on losing both your boys - what a difficult, difficult summer for you. But you showed the strongest love of all - releasing him from his pain even though it meant the beginning of yours. They both had a blessed life: the love of family; a safe happy home with good food, affection, toys, comfy places to sleep.....as opposed to those little kittens still on the streets, for whom Death comes as a friend, for whom these words by Lord Alfred Tennyson apply: " so runs my dream, but what am I? An infant crying [mewing] in the night, an infant crying for the light, and with no language but a cry".. YOU were that light for Lulinha, and for Merlin. Lulinha's mother's spirit could peacefully join her other babies' spirits, knowing that her precious baby boy was safe with you - now they are all reunited and with our ancestors and the descendants, those yet to be born. :bluebutterfly::sunshine::kitty::reddragonfly::bigeyes::purplebutterfly:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AdrianaV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply, solomonar solomonar , I believe cats know a lot more than us too, they are sensible beings, a trait that we humans lose with age, we hurt because we're afraid of what comes next, of the unknown, death is a natural part of life (despite our difficulty to deal with it) and in my infinite ignorance I just can hope it's just a passage for a new, better, beginning, like you said, thank you again.

AdrianaV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the kind words, catsknowme catsknowme , they really mean so much to me in this difficult time... This last week was one of the most difficult, sad of my life, seeing such a fun, sweet cat slowly fade way hurt us so much... I try to find comfort on what you said, both of them were found alone at a young age on the streets, I like to think that we saved them from such a hard life, specially because both developed serious diseases later... We tried everything possible for them to have a good life until the very end, they will be forever loved. Thank you again.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply...you are so very right. In my feral colonies, cats who wont be trapped sometimes suffer horribly only to have the same fate as those that we rescue. The rescues are indeed blessed with the option of a peaceful, painless passing. If you read my thread " Toll the Bell - the Queen of the Ferals is Gone" you will see what I mean; my mind is accepting the logic but my heart still wonders....

AdrianaV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No need to thank me, catsknowme catsknowme . I did read your thread and I can tell you made her life so much easier, and I know how hard it's to care for feral cats, most don't even let us come near them, sometimes it takes months to win their trust... Rest assured that you did the best for her and that she knew it and feels your love for her now.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a heartfelt tribute, what a perfect, precious photo to memorialize two beautiful, precious felines. You gave both the one thing they wanted more than anything in the world, a loving, caring, home. Sharing your life cannot be measured with time, it is measured by the joy and love they both brought to your heart. You received a priceless gift by having them sharing your life at all.
Please try not to dwell on the end, use your beautiful memories of happier times to bring you peace. Neither one would ever want to bring pain into your life, try to go into the future seeking happiness and love once again, as you would want for them if you were the first to go. They are a part of your past now, a wonderful part, honor their names by accepting what they gave to you and passing it on in the coming years.
Lulinha's little soul will be forever tied to your own. For love is not of this physical earth. The bond you share can never be taken from you, as long as you hold him in your heart. I know the emptiness that comes with the parting, I cry for the pain you are having. I'll keep you all in my thoughst and prayers, may you be blessed for hurting so bad from loving so much. Take care.........RIP beautiful Lulinha, you will be forever held in a loving heart. There has been a special spot in the sun reserved for you to slumber in at the Rainbow Bridge, one that will joyfully be shared by your beloved Merlin. Goodnight, sleep tight, little ones!

AdrianaV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the kind reply, di and bob di and bob , it means the world to me. They were indeed two of the most special cats I've ever had the pleasure to meet in my life so far. Like you said, although we only stayed together a couple of years, my love for them was and is infinite. I hope I did make them happy as much as they made me. I'll try my best to honour their beautiful memories, lives and spirits, even tho my heart is broken now. You're right, love is eternal and I'll always love and miss my boys, I do hope we'll meet again... Thank you again for the empathy, the thoughts, the prayers and the good wishes for Lulinha and Merlin, bless you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Sweet Boys, Dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

While it is so human to feel guilt over things like this, it is also untrue. Your head knows that you did all you could for both of your precious cats. It will take a little time for your sore heart to catch up. This is what I know. Love NEVER dies, and one day we are with those we love again, whether they walk on two legs or four, or fly or slither or swim.

AdrianaV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the reply, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , it's so kind of you and very much appreciated.
I guess you're right, we're always trying to find something to feel guilty for when something like this happens, and it's like that because we were truly responsible caretakers and we feel we failed them, but sometimes we can't prevent or control what happens to them, we're only humans after all, and that's hard to accept... I do hope I'll be with my special boys again.
Thank you again for the good wishes.

AdrianaV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for listening by the way, it has been really really hard to deal with two important losses in such a short period of time, my mind, my body, my heart and my soul hurt deeply, but being here among such kind, considerate people has helped, I'm glad I've found this site.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. That FIP is a horrible disease. I had to deal with it with my Meela, even though I still don't believe she had it. This is a great site for you to be at. We all know all too well the pain that goes along with grief and loss of a loved critter. I wish I had found it before losing Meela, maybe I could have gotten guidance and had someone to go through this with me instead of me doing it alone.

AdrianaV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so very much, M meelasmom , FIP is a horrible disease indeed, Lulinha was gone only 10 days after we took him to the vet for the first time, he deteriorated so quickly, it was so sad... I'm so very sorry for you Meela, I'm sure you did everything you could for her, I'm glad you are here now, you're not alone, I hope our babies are together, healthy and happy again.

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Adriana, I'm so sorry for loss of your handsome boys. You made a meaningful difference in the short lives of Merlin and Lulinha. We all have zero understanding as to why this world is so unfair to our treasured companions. No matter how long we are blessed with their company, it is never long enough. Your boys experienced many of the good things life has to offer under your care. The joy they brought you will be with you always. Our sorrow becomes manageable in time and will end when we join them and see they are in a perfect condition in a perfect place. You can open a cat page here on TCS in your boys memory. Many of us have done so and found it to be helpful. I have two (links in my signature). Look at a few for ideas on what you could do. I'm glad you're here at TSC. Loss also brought me here. The support and sharing here really helps. I wish you peace.

AdrianaV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the kind words, boney girl dad boney girl dad , they mean so much...
That's exactly how I felt, how we feel, it's so unfair that our angels had to suffer, they didn't deserve it... I try to find comfort on that you said, at least during their short time here they were cared for and extremely loved.
They made our lives so much better and I wish they could've stayed more, I do hope we'll be reunited.
Thank you so much for the tips, I'll definitely check your memorials out later, and for the support and good wishes, I truly appreciate it all, bless you.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am just seeing this now and am so sorry that you had to endure this terrible heartache, such sweet boys, and to lose them so close together just breaks your heart. You did NOTHING wrong, don't blame yourself, sometimes these awful things just happen for reasons that we often cannot see, but you gave them both a wonderful life and they will never forget you!

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, and with time you take in and take care of some other cats who need your love and care. God Bless.....:alright:

AdrianaV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much, les26 les26 , it's really kind of you. Losing both of them in such a short period of time has been one of the most difficult experiences of my life, they were/are such special cats... Like you said, it's hard to accept that we can't control everything and that sometimes we just couldn't do more for them, but I do hope I made them happy in their short time here.
Thank you again for the good wishes, bless you.

AdrianaV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so very much for the kind words, zed xyzed zed xyzed , it's really appreciated, bless you.