Missing Mickey July 4 2001- July 8 2014

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. When I lost my Len in May (still not over it), someone told me that the greatest tribute that you can give a cat that has passed is to rescue another.

I can't at the moment, since I still have an 18 y/o at home who wouldn't accept that... but whe the time comes, I will grab at least two from a shelter, maybe three. There are so many unhomed pets that need loving homes, taking in shadow is a good thing.

There is no shame in loving another cat, Shadow won't be Mickey, but he will be special in his own way. I'm sorry you are still hurting over Mickey. I'm glad you had your special time with Mickey though, and you gave each other a happy home for 13 years. My Len was healthy as could be until his cancer diagnosis, he was gone within 48 hours, I still miss him too - part of each of them stays with us forever. I hope you are feeling better soon.

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's so true that part of them stays with us forever. The memories, their spirit, the joy and love and companionship. Being there next to us when they sense something is wrong in our lives. Getting us through some of darkest moments when nobody else can help or understand. It's a very special bond.

There are animals out there that are hurting and need love and attention. We can never duplicate a past relationship - each is different. But that's what life is all about - the satisfaction and joy of helping others. Along the way maybe we learn a little bit more about ourselves as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Wasabipea
Thank You for your very kind response.I am also truly sorry on the passing of your Len.It must still be very raw for you as well.Three months is not really long.I am sure you are still grieving and miss your Len lots.I feel that it can take a long time to even feel acceptance over our a loved cats passing.I am not sure when I will accept that my Mickey is gone forever.I still expect to hear his soft little meow.His meow was always low and so sweet.Yes Shadow has helped alot.He is such a beautiful looking cat and so friendly He was found wondering the streets after his former owner must have abandoned him and left him in the street.He had foster homes after that but no one to truly love him.I seen him in a cage and wanted him instantly.I have promised him that he has a forever home now and I will care for him always.He is already my family and he has made himself very comfortable in his new home.I can tell that he loves and trusts me.He feels safe now and that does make me happy.I needed another cat who would need me and that cat is Shadow.Thanks for saying not to feel bad about loving another cat.I do at times feel guilty like I am betraying Mickey.I know that is not the case but tell that to my heart.It is so great that you have an 18 year old cat at home.I hope that cat is doing fine.Yes when cats get sick they can go so quick.They appear healthy one day and then they are gone.Mickey was so weak the last day .I held him in my arms and kept telling him how much I loved him. All too quick he was gone.I felt like I died with him.Thanks for listening and take care of yourself and your 18 year old baby.Time with our loved cats is so precious. I am sure you realize that just like I do.

Loving Mickey

Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Zoneout
I feel like you that each of our pets remain with us always. I still love and miss every single one of them.They have a special place in my heart and now Shadow does too.I promised him I would love and care for him always. You are so right.Every relationship with our cats is so different. They are all special in their own way.Shadow truly needed someone who would love him forever.I will certainly do that.He is a very sweet and loving cat.He loves being around me and keeps following me. Yes life is about helping others whether it be a person or a pet.I have found great comfort on this site and would truly like to thank everyone for responding or reading my posts.It means alot to me.I can only hope that I may have offered some comfort to someone as well.Take Care .I hope you have found some peace yourself.

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Wasabipea
Thank You for your very kind response.I am also truly sorry on the passing of your Len.It must still be very raw for you as well.Three months is not really long.I am sure you are still grieving and miss your Len lots.I feel that it can take a long time to even feel acceptance over our a loved cats passing.I am not sure when I will accept that my Mickey is gone forever.I still expect to hear his soft little meow.His meow was always low and so sweet.Yes Shadow has helped alot.He is such a beautiful looking cat and so friendly He was found wondering the streets after his former owner must have abandoned him and left him in the street.He had foster homes after that but no one to truly love him.I seen him in a cage and wanted him instantly.I have promised him that he has a forever home now and I will care for him always.He is already my family and he has made himself very comfortable in his new home.I can tell that he loves and trusts me.He feels safe now and that does make me happy.I needed another cat who would need me and that cat is Shadow.Thanks for saying not to feel bad about loving another cat.I do at times feel guilty like I am betraying Mickey.I know that is not the case but tell that to my heart.It is so great that you have an 18 year old cat at home.I hope that cat is doing fine.Yes when cats get sick they can go so quick.They appear healthy one day and then they are gone.Mickey was so weak the last day .I held him in my arms and kept telling him how much I loved him. All too quick he was gone.I felt like I died with him.Thanks for listening and take care of yourself and your 18 year old baby.Time with our loved cats is so precious. I am sure you realize that just like I do.
It really is precious, and every cat I've ever cared for has been a different personality and had been precious in their own way. With Len I had to put him down, he had spent Fri nite (all night) at the emergency clininc - even though we had an appt on Sat at the regular vet, he was looking so sick I couldn't wait until Sat. I picked him up at the clinic and went straight to the regular vet, when she confirmed the lung cancer and fluid buildup in the lining of his lungs - that nothing could be done and he would only get worse... she was hinting at euthanizing right then and there. I told her that I wanted him to have one more night at home, since the previous night he was in a cage at an unknown animal hospital. But that night when he was home I brought a litter box up to be close to his bed, and he tried to get in it and just couldn't - and then he climbed back into bed and just let his bladder go without even flinching or moving - I knew at that moment I couldn't let him live that way any longer. He was euthanized the next day. While I know I did the right thing it still stings, I still miss his purring in bed with me every night and greeting at the door. His sister misses him too.

I do understand the little things that are unique to every kitty, it takes a long time to get past their passing and missing their unique little quirks that at one time seemed like a daily part of life. Hopefully it won't be so raw for you soon, as well.

And Shadow must be a great comfort to you now, I'm glad he has his furever home
and is finally with someone who truly loves him
. Until recently, my Roni would follow me everywhere - at one time I thought I should have named her "Me too" - she was always there! Feel better soon, and I hope you can comfort yourself that you gave your Mickey a great life for a long time.

Loving Mickey

Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Wasabipea
Hope you are feeling better.I have good days and bad days.I am sure you do also.I am so sorry that you had to put Len down.I can only imagine how painful that decision must have been.I know that you only had your cat's best interests at heart.You loved him and could not stand to see him suffer.Mickey got weak the last day and could not walk much.He continued to drink water and use his litter box till the very end.He didnt eat much the last few days.I made him comfortable though and gave him his medications.I never left his side especially on the last day as I knew the end was near.I tried not to cry as I didn't want to frighten him.The last hour I sat on the floor and just held him.I told him he was a wonderful kitty and I loved him so much and would always miss him.He just lay comfortably in my arms and even let out his sweet little meow.I feel that he understood what I was saying and the meow meant he loved me too.I only find comfort in feeling that he is now with my mom and all my past kitties.My mom will take care of them for me.Shadow is doing great and getting more comfortable in his new home every day.Yes he has his own personality.He is super friendly as Mickey was.Shadow loves to play and always wants your attention.Mickey also liked his space and being left alone at times.Shadow would prefer to always have me around and have my attention.Shadow is the perfect name for this cat.Hope Len' s sister is doing fine.I am sure she misses him just as you do.Take Care.Hope you are having more good days than sad ones.

Loving Mickey

Top Cat
Purraise
Hi All,
I am still missing my precious Mickey, some days are really rough.It was three months yesterday that he passed.People say that it gets easier as time goes on.I don't always feel that is true.I think that we all just learn to live with what has happened. What choice do we have?? We will remember our precious kitties and miss them forever.I did open my heart and home to another precious cat, as I was so lonely without my Mickey.I felt that I could give another cat a loving warm home.My new wonderful cat is a one and a half year old male.His name is Shadow and he is so loving.I already love him lots and he has his own special place in my heart.I will always miss and love my Mickey. Shadow is helping me to cope with the loss of Mickey.I know Shadow needs me to take dare of him and love him.Believe me, that helps alot.Thanks everyone for listening.I know that you all understand how I feel.We all love our kitties, past and present ones.

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
(big hugs) Sept 6 for Minnie and it's amazing how the triggers bring the tears so unexpectedly.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy you shared your love with Shadow, he will help you to fill that hole in your heart. Mickey will rest in peace knowing that you are sharing the love you two developed, he would want you to be happy and pass on that wonderful legacy. Think if something had happened to you, you would want him to love (and live) again. Though there is nothing we can do to change the past, we can look to the future and love again. We will never forget, but will hold our precious memories forever in our hearts. Take care....

Loving Mickey

Top Cat
Purraise
Hi MnM
Thank You so much for responding. Oh it is still very new for you in regards to your Minnie.Yes the tears come on so unexpectedly at times.The littlest things can set us off and then there goes the tears.I think of Mickey constantly and miss him so much.He was like the perfect cat for thirteen years and was so loved.So very sorry about your Minnie.Give a hug to Mikki for me and hug yourself as well!!

Loving Mickey

Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Di and Bob
Yes Shadow does help alot.He fills my heart with love and is helping me to cope.I still miss Mickey alot but I know I always will.He was my precious baby for thirteen wonderful years and was so very loved.He will be in my heart forever.Yes I am sure that Mickey would want me to live and be happy.I think that maybe Mickey sent Shadow to me as he knew I was lonely without him. Shadow even found some of Mickey's toys that Mickey must have had hiding and he is playing with them.I know that Mickey wouldn't mind.I am sure he is watching us and smiling.Take Care and thanks so much for your kind words!!

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's funny because Minnie was "mine", and Mikki is "daddy's" girl. It's so cute how comfy Mik is with my husband...they do the same bedtime routine each night..kneading, snuggling... he'll say c'mon Mik, time for bed...and up the steps she follows him. Slowly but surely, she is now beginning to snuggle with me after he leaves for work... she rarely did that before... and it's still not the same tight knit feeling I had with my Min, but it's nice that Mikki is starting to luv on me more :) This was yesterday morning...

catconcern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry for your loss Mickey. Your boy passed away a day before mine. Tragic it is. One of the family has passed and it's very difficult.

Loving Mickey

Top Cat
Purraise
Hi MnM
Oh what an adorable picture.Yes I know what you mean about a cat may seem to favor one person over another.Now my Mickey was definitely "MY" cat.He may have loved my husband also but anyone could tell he favored me more.Never bothered my husband though.He still loved Mickey and was devastated when he passed.He wasn't so sure about getting another cat.I was so lonely without my Mickey so I decided I wanted or needed another poor kitty to love.My husband wanted me happy so he reluctantly agreed.Now get this He is so attached to Shadow and will run to the store to pick up his favorite food or treat.I am the one home taking care of Shadow all the time .However Shadow seems to be favoring my husband more.Now I know this may sound silly but it hurts me and my feelings.I know that may sound crazy.I love Shadow lots and he has my heart already.I justddon't know how a cat chooses one over the other.Oh well Shadow is still my baby and I love him.So glad that Mikki is getting closer to you.I am sure that is helping you to cope over losing Minnie.Take Care.Sorry if post was too long.Get me started talking about cats and I will keep going on.Give Mikki a hig from me and also from Shadow.I hope our babies Minnie and Mickey have met and are playing together.

Loving Mickey

Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Catconcern
Thank You !! I am so sorry for your loss as well.Yes it is very difficult. These are our babies and when they pass it is devastating. I have read some of your thread and I am truly sorry.I know we may always wonder if things could have turned out different.I hope you realize that what happened to your precious baby was in no way your fault.He was sick and you took him to a vet.We all feel that a vet is a doctor who will make our babies well again.That is what you expected the vet to do.You are not too blame.I do understand you missing your boy though as I miss my Mickey more than I ever thought possible.Both our boys are gone about three months now and I know the pain is still there for us both.I hope your new babies are helping you to cope some as my Shadow is trying to help me.Take Care and again I do understand.

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I enjoy reading your feelings...it helps us all to feel "we're not the only ones". I TOTALLY get it about your feelings when Shadow seems to favor hubby! Maybe you need ONE more kitty lol!! Mikki will lay all over hubby's lap in all types of positions....her positions are more "guarded" when she sits on my lap...more like she'll put her front half of her body on my lap and the bottom half still on the chair :)

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is interesting how cats bond to a particular person. Max was always close to me, Precious to my wife, and Wolfie was my daughter's baby. The interesting thing is my daughter was only 3 when Wolfie was born. So she wasn't gentle in handling him. She used to stuff him into her doll carriage and take him for rides...lol.

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My love and condolences to you and your family.

How is Minnie doing without Mickey?

I was trying to say in another post that of the 4 cats, one loves my daughter (like zoneout zoneout s daughter... poor Elsie is dressed up, babied and yet she loves my daught Lydia more than any of us) more than anyone, but loves all of us. Same for my son... one cat absolutely is on his heels. I didn't know if I was saying it right.

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mikki's schedule is screwed up I think... she howls in the night.

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor baby boo. I know it is so soon, would a buddy help? No one will ever replace her sibling. I have never lost a cat where it affected the sibling(s). I feel so bad for Ms. Minnie and her parents. My love goes out to all.ofyou.

I was wondering if my newest cats would miss each other. The worst would be if something happened to Wally as all 3 girls mothered him from when we got him and he was only 3 weeks old. Ana and Elsie/Elsa are bio siblings and seem really close.

Last edited: