Might Pesca Have Pica?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Now she's peeing a bit less, she's peeing 7-8 times a day, even large clumps.
The max she peed was 15 times a day in early August.
Now she's pooing a lot too. Up to 5 times a day, but now she's doing very soft or runny poop. She's on probiotics, but no luck so far.
Peeing lots should be ok as she's still a kitten and as discussed here and in your other thread that a kitten dose not have a strong bladder and they can't contain much pee too. As long as she's peeing that amount and size, it's a good sign that it's not UTI.

As for her poo, ruling out that she has no worms, it could be due to the adjustment of food or she can't stomach what she's having now.
My boy was the same when he first came back and who knows what he has been eating outside before he was rescued and he did have runny poop as he as new to the food that was given to him and it took awhile for the adjustment and food change till his runny poop was gone.

So you have to see if it is the ingredients in the food the is giving her the runs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peeing lots should be ok as she's still a kitten and as discussed here and in your other thread that a kitten dose not have a strong bladder and they can't contain much pee too. As long as she's peeing that amount and size, it's a good sign that it's not UTI.
Last night was the first time she didn't pee at night since she's home.
Usually, I would find 3-4 clumps in the morning, and other 5-10 clumps from morning to night.
The clumps are sometimes big, so it's really a lot of pee.
She also drinks a lot, 70 ml a day in the last week or so. Added to the moisture in her wet food it's a lot of water.
But urine tests were clear.

As for her poo, ruling out that she has no worms, it could be due to the adjustment of food or she can't stomach what she's having now.
She's been eating the same canned food since day 1, she likes it a lot and she never threw it out, bar once, but she had been fasting for 12 hours for a blood test, and she gobbled down her food when we returned home, and she puked right after.
So, I think I can say she tolerates her wet food fine.

We introduced the dry food recently, about 3 weeks ago, and she never showed any problem with it.
As from today I want to try and stop it for a few days and see.

She's been dewormed three times so far.
She was visited on day 2 and the fecal test was positive for round worms. She was administered a paste (Nemex) twice, on day 2 and on day 17.
A further test last week showed more round worms and she was given half a pill of Drontal on Sunday.
She's also on a probiotic, but no luck.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
She also drinks a lot, 70 ml a day in the last week or so. Added to the moisture in her wet food it's a lot of water.
But urine tests were clear.
Well, that should answer your question on how much she is peeing.

been fasting for 12 hours for a blood test, and she gobbled down her food when we returned home, and she puked right after.
When they eat fast, they swallow lots of air with every mouth full and that's why she puke.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, that should answer your question on how much she is peeing.
Of course, but the question to the vets was why she's drinking so much in the first place.
It was a source of concern from the beginning, and all tests done so far gave no answer.

When they eat fast, they swallow lots of air with every mouth full and that's why she puke.
Yes, and as a matter of fact it never happened again.
This was to say that her food hasn't given her issues so far. At least, I think it hasn't.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She surely eats more than the tables on the cans tell, and this happened from day 1. I have to give her more helpings of food during the day, I fear that leaving the food out and always available in her dishes could push her to eat it all in one time!
This table is for reference only and kittens are known for eating way more than this. They develop at the enormous speed and need all the energy they can eat. I would experiment if I were you and feed her as much as she wants and see if that helps with chewing and biting. It’s totally possible that she doesn’t get enough food, even if she appears to eat a lot

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, this morning I found out, to my horror, that a large piece of curtain is missing!
It's a piece of synthetic fabric measuring 6 in x 2 in.
I'm absolutely sure that the curtain was intact two days ago, so Pesca has eaten a large piece of it in the last 24-36 hours. And I said "she's eaten" it because I haven't found any piece of fabric around the house! She swallowed it, not chewed and spat.

This is the second time she eats a piece of curtain.
I realized of the first piece missing in another window in the first week of August, it was a tiny piece, like a finger nail, not bigger. This was the time when I asked the vets to run an X-ray and an ultrasound scan to see if something was visible. Nothing.
Then, a few days ago, a bigger piece was missing from the same spot, resulting now in a hole about 3 in x 1 in.

I had sprayed (and frequently refreshed it) the lower hems of all curtains with Key lime juice in the vain attempt to make the curtains unattractive.

And she eats and swallows, not just chewing, cardboard, plastic, and whatever thing she finds on the floor. And she also hunts for insects and eats them all!

No wonder why she keeps having very soft poops despite the huge amount of probiotics of different kinds.
At least, I think that eating that unhealthy stuff might be the main culprit of her condition.

I am sure that as soon as my wife will learn about that damage to the curtains, the kitten will be sentenced to leave! :(