Merlin Has Liquid Runs 2-3 Days Now- Any Ideas?

Landon&Lucasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
T foetus is only one of seven (?) species that are tested for. In Krista’s case, she had clostridium which is treated with Flagyl. But that’s the rub. Until you know for sure that it is a bacterial overgrowth/infection causing the diarrhea, the pill-and-pray strategy of prescribing antibiotics for an unconfirmed or suspected infection could be doing more harm than good. Antibiotics aren’t picky and are wiping out the good bacteria needed for normal digestion of food (aka good stool formation.). If you aren’t helping to regenerate these colonies with something like s. Boulardii with MOS (a prebiotic), then diarrhea or soft stools will continue until the flagyl (or other antibiotic) is discontinued.
I agree you will do more damage to your cat with the constant over treatment with antibiotics. Even after our cats were treated with Ronidazole, they continued to have diarrhea and soft stool. The only way we have seen any improvement in our cats has been by changing them over to a raw diet, they have always had a digestive enzyme and probiotic. Since starting a raw diet they have had normal bowel movements and not had one episode of diarrhea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A PCR panel usually will not get you false negatives. The PCR panel test looks for the DNA of the Tritchamonos Feotus in their stool. The treatment is Ronidazole, it is the only mediation that will kill T. Feotus. Flagyl will not work. Here is the link to the guide on T. Feotus written by the leading expert on it. https://cvm.ncsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/ownersguide-to-feline-t-foetus.pdf
Thanks I will check this out and ask dvm. He is back on the dry food and chicken now and the soft poop continues. I have no more Flagyl. I am still giving him Propectalin and s boulardi but he will have to go back to the DVM at some point. Unfortunately I’m having some serious health issues and I was in the hospital all of last night I will need to be taking care of that. I am not going to be able to lift him to go to Dvm but I will hopefully be able to get help when the time comes. He’s not pooping as much now just once or twice a day which is an improvement at least. I wonder if a Course of Ronidazole is worth a shot even though the PCR was negative. I doubt this Dvm will RX it though but I will ask him.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks I will check this out and ask dvm. He is back on the dry food and chicken now and the soft poop continues. I have no more Flagyl. I am still giving him Propectalin and s boulardi but he will have to go back to the DVM at some point. Unfortunately I’m having some serious health issues and I was in the hospital all of last night I will need to be taking care of that. I am not going to be able to lift him to go to Dvm but I will hopefully be able to get help when the time comes. He’s not pooping as much now just once or twice a day which is an improvement at least. I wonder if a Course of Ronidazole is worth a shot even though the PCR was negative. I doubt this Dvm will RX it though but I will ask him.
I’d give him a break from antibiotics. That the frequency has reduced is definitely an improvement. Keep giving the s boulardii and propectalin (if it’s helping.). Let his gut recolonize with the good bacteria.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree you will do more damage to your cat with the constant over treatment with antibiotics. Even after our cats were treated with Ronidazole, they continued to have diarrhea and soft stool. The only way we have seen any improvement in our cats has been by changing them over to a raw diet, they have always had a digestive enzyme and probiotic. Since starting a raw diet they have had normal bowel movements and not had one episode of diarrhea.
That is good your kitties responded well but I do not think the raw diet is always a good idea actually, not for every cat in any case. I have tried that in the past and it is not a cure all for all ills. Wizard started vomiting a lot more on it and would not eat it eventually and Syb hated it and would not even touch it so I stopped it. There are problems with bacterial and other contamination as well which is bad for compromised cats like Wizard. Dvm agreed with me it was not good for him but all I needed was the evidence of what it did to him. That said I ordered another freeze dried brand for Merlin to see how he responds and I will add it slowly to what he is eating. I was able to cure Quinn’s runs with a home cooked chicken diet with alnutrin supplements.

Merlin has not been over treated with anything he has had two courses of flagyl which is standard in a case like this and he responded to it enough that he has improved. In fact one treatment for IBD is flagyl although steroids work better to stabilize them at first if it is bad. I am assuming he has IBD but if it is a parasite that needs another drug he may need that in addition to stabilize him.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am thinking about doing another pcr for T. Foetus and I need to know if it is ok to take a sample when the cat is on a steroid? Plus the article you provided said the sample should not be refrigerated, so how should I store it, and will the dvm just refiegerate it before sending it anyway?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I just got a sample and it was half normal and dry poop and half mushy. I have been giving him 1/4 teas psyllium husks in home cooked food per dish with pumpkin and water. Maybe that is finally helping? How much psyllium can I give him per day, I don’t want to overdue it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This site says 1/2 to 1 teaspoon per day.

You can refrigerate the sample. The vet is just going to do the same.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This site says 1/2 to 1 teaspoon per day.

You can refrigerate the sample. The vet is just going to do the same.
Thanks, that’s about what I have been giving him. Some of the poop was quite dry so I was worried I over did it. Well, the article you posted said not to refrigerate it because it is fragile and will die, so how will they ever know if he has it? Is there anyone here whose cat had T foetus and treated it? I have been giving him cbd oil as well and I wonder if it helped as well. I picked up the steroid but I am going to wait a while and see how he does. Also and rx for minidazole, but I will wait on that too.

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, that’s about what I have been giving him. Some of the poop was quite dry so I was worried I over did it. Well, the article you posted said not to refrigerate it because it is fragile and will die, so how will they ever know if he has it? Is there anyone here whose cat had T foetus and treated it? I have been giving him cbd oil as well and I wonder if it helped as well. I picked up the steroid but I am going to wait a while and see how he does. Also and rx for minidazole, but I will wait on that too.
Ask your vet about the sample. It seems like if you didn’t refrigerate it, it could grow what might not have been part of the original sample or it could overgrow what’s already there. It seems like it would corrupt the results to not refrigerate the sample.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet about the sample. It seems like if you didn’t refrigerate it, it could grow what might not have been part of the original sample or it could overgrow what’s already there. It seems like it would corrupt the results to not refrigerate the sample.
The link you gave me says do not refrigerate it because it will kill T feotus. It would be nice if there was a clear and definitive statement that can be agreed on about any of this but as often seems to be the case there isn’t.

Unfortunately Merlin went right back to soft poop again. So disheartening that no one has any clue what is going on. My only choice now is the steroids I think. Hopefully he can be weaned off them in time, assuming they help him. don’t understand how he can go from soft liquid to mostly dry and then total mush again so rapidly. I guess the psyllium husk is not really helping much.

Does anyone know where I can get rinadzole? Dvm doesn't carry it.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That should be ronidazole