Merlin Has Liquid Runs 2-3 Days Now- Any Ideas?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you try a bland diet? Poached chicken or poached turkey. With a little pumpkin if he’ll take it.

There’s no sense in trying to feed him regular food while it’s running through him too fast to be digested.

You may also try meat only baby food.

Just meat isn’t nutritionally complete. But neither is the squirts.
Yes I tried chicken baby food etc and quinn’s food which is broiled chicken with chicken liver and supplements when this started but it didn't help. Yesterday or the day before I have lost track now I managed to get him to eat a liquid flaygl dose in baby food and a squeezable treat with s boulardi on it. He does like the s boulardi taste and he will eat it by itself which is funny. but then as usual I could not get him to eat or take more. Then sunday 9 pm or so git him to eat a capsule in pill pocket again.

My new and also a former dvm by some miracle is open till 6 PM on Sunday! I had left him a message Saturday and they actually called me back and said that the DVM had another medication for Merlin. So I went over there around 5 to 6 PM picked it up and got more liquid and Flagyl and pills.

It is one of the ones that I was looking at on Amazon yesterday which has kaolin and probiotics and pectin and it comes in a big syringe. Pro- pectalin. I gave him the first dose but only a tiny bit came out so then later I gave him two because I’m supposed to give him one dose three times a day. He would not eat it at all it’s very kind of greasy so I was able to scruff his neck wearing a glove and wipe it on his mouth. He spit a lot of it on the floor but I just kept wiping it back on so I think he got most of it I am hoping this is finally going to work. I don’t know if he’s getting enough of the Flagyl but hopefully I can get more of the Flagyl into him.

I did poach some chicken for him also Sunday night and gave him a little bit of that after he had his medication. The night before I had given him some of the Kirkland dry food and he actually had a partially formed poop and then the rest was loose stool.
It’s not actually probably more than once or twice a day now and there seems to be a 12 to 24 hour break sometimes which I guess is when maybe the Flagyl is in him and working?

So I gave him more dry food again three or four hours after the chicken he was literally starving, he gobbled it all up. I’m thinking maybe what he needs is to go back on the dry food and he was getting too much wet food? I will be returning the very expensive dry RX diet because it has lamb and pea protein in it and I’m thinking the pea protein maybe making him worse since I know it can cause diarrhea. I added some pumpkin in his rx canned diet Saturday but not to the poached chicken. I will try more tomorrow.

He has been having alot of gas on and off but not Sunday or today yet that I have noticed although I was not here when he pooped. I think that was a few hours after the flagyl and prolactin.

Unfortunately he has regressed a bit in his behavior. Something fell off of a high shelf in my studio, a bag of foam and when I came in, Saturday I think it happened, he was hiding in the cage. I kept calling him and thinking he must’ve escaped somehow, he would not come out and then I saw him in there.

When I come in lately he’ll be in there or sometimes will go back in and when I brought a ladder in to put the bag back up on the shelf he got very nervous and was running around and he actually pushed the cage open so he could go inside. I have been putting the carrier against the entry when I’m in there with Quinn so Quinn cannot use the litter box. And then maybe two hours ago while I was cleaning and sweeping he tried to bite my arm while I was doing that. I just feel like he’s never going to get the message that it is not ok to bite somebody. Fortunately he did not pierce skin etc. I took the glove and scruffed him as someone suggested. when I first told him not to do that though he ran in the cage- he just gets scared when I tell him not to bite me.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I finally was able to get the flagyl in Merlin by scruffing him with a glove and shooting it in his mouth with a syringe. And same for pro pectalin, wiping it on his mouth etc. He had not pooped at all for 3-4 days now, I have lost track. He was eating poached chicken, small meals, plus chicken bone broth, a little pumpkin and water. I was so relieved and hopeful and then today finally he pooped at 2-3 am. Two little formed hard poops and then just more soft stool mushy and stinky, which was the bulk of it.

I am sooo fed up, I have done everything and nothing is working. What else can be done here?

When I brought the pro pectalin in to the vet because I couldn’t figure out how to work the stupid injection thing and returned the very expensive rx food which just made him worse, the vet tech told me the next steps according to Dvm are he has to have an ultrasound and an endoscopy.

Well I am not doing that unless it’s going to give me definitive answers here- I am spending thousands of dollars and they still cannot tell me what to do to help this cat- this is just getting out of hand.

Any ideas how I can get him back to normal poop? At first he loved the chicken bone broth I made but now he will not even touch it. Should I try adding psyllium? I just don’t know what to do anymore.

As often happens after spending hundreds or thousands at the DVM I still have no answers and no treatment that is working. So fracking fed up!

I said to her well if I do all of that or you gonna be able to really tell me what the hell is going on here? And she said no! LOL yeah that’s a real incentive to do all of those tests.

Yes I tried chicken baby food etc and quinn’s food which is broiled chicken with chicken liver and supplements when this started but it didn't help. Yesterday or the day before I have lost track now I managed to get him to eat a liquid flaygl dose in baby food and a squeezable treat with s boulardi on it. He does like the s boulardi taste and he will eat it by itself which is funny. but then as usual I could not get him to eat or take more. Then sunday 9 pm or so git him to eat a capsule in pill pocket again.

My new and also a former dvm by some miracle is open till 6 PM on Sunday! I had left him a message Saturday and they actually called me back and said that the DVM had another medication for Merlin. So I went over there around 5 to 6 PM picked it up and got more liquid and Flagyl and pills.

It is one of the ones that I was looking at on Amazon yesterday which has kaolin and probiotics and pectin and it comes in a big syringe. Pro- pectalin. I gave him the first dose but only a tiny bit came out so then later I gave him two because I’m supposed to give him one dose three times a day. He would not eat it at all it’s very kind of greasy so I was able to scruff his neck wearing a glove and wipe it on his mouth. He spit a lot of it on the floor but I just kept wiping it back on so I think he got most of it I am hoping this is finally going to work. I don’t know if he’s getting enough of the Flagyl but hopefully I can get more of the Flagyl into him.

I did poach some chicken for him also Sunday night and gave him a little bit of that after he had his medication. The night before I had given him some of the Kirkland dry food and he actually had a partially formed poop and then the rest was loose stool.
It’s not actually probably more than once or twice a day now and there seems to be a 12 to 24 hour break sometimes which I guess is when maybe the Flagyl is in him and working?

So I gave him more dry food again three or four hours after the chicken he was literally starving, he gobbled it all up. I’m thinking maybe what he needs is to go back on the dry food and he was getting too much wet food? I will be returning the very expensive dry RX diet because it has lamb and pea protein in it and I’m thinking the pea protein maybe making him worse since I know it can cause diarrhea. I added some pumpkin in his rx canned diet Saturday but not to the poached chicken. I will try more tomorrow.

He has been having alot of gas on and off but not Sunday or today yet that I have noticed although I was not here when he pooped. I think that was a few hours after the flagyl and prolactin.

Unfortunately he has regressed a bit in his behavior. Something fell off of a high shelf in my studio, a bag of foam and when I came in, Saturday I think it happened, he was hiding in the cage. I kept calling him and thinking he must’ve escaped somehow, he would not come out and then I saw him in there.

When I come in lately he’ll be in there or sometimes will go back in and when I brought a ladder in to put the bag back up on the shelf he got very nervous and was running around and he actually pushed the cage open so he could go inside. I have been putting the carrier against the entry when I’m in there with Quinn so Quinn cannot use the litter box. And then maybe two hours ago while I was cleaning and sweeping he tried to bite my arm while I was doing that. I just feel like he’s never going to get the message that it is not ok to bite somebody. Fortunately he did not pierce skin etc. I took the glove and scruffed him as someone suggested. when I first told him not to do that though he ran in the cage- he just gets scared when I tell him not to bite me.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I guess no one has any input, anyone else out there with cat runs/ diahrrea?

I gave him a can of Quinn’s fussy cat chicken and chicken liver pumpkin soup low sodium today since I had run out of poached chicken and I only had the grilled chicken that I had prepped for Quinn‘s home cooked food.

He seems to like it and he did finally poop again later- this time he had two larger but still smallish formed poops and then a smaller bit of soft loose stool. I guess that is a step in the right direction? Or does that mean the fussy cat was no good and I should just keep him on the poached chicken for now?

He started eating or drinking the bone broth again I guess because he’s so hungry and I’m only giving him two or three small meals a day.

I will be calling the DVM tomorrow hopefully, although I am starting pt finally for my back so who knows with my crazy schedules, and say that I just want to keep him on the medication longer and see how that goes.

But I’m wondering at what point should I start re-introducing normal cat food again? Should I just keep giving the poached chicken and wait and hope that his poop is totally normal again eventually?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish we knew what was causing this because that could help us provide better guidance. Did you get the Fecal Diarrhea PCR test? This is more significantly expensive than the fecal flotation test for giardia and worms. Thus it is usually not a common test.

Have you gone through this page yet?

Job one is stopping the runs. If food is transiting too quickly to be digested, it doesn't make sense to keep feeding that food.

Were his stools better on the poached chicken or the fussy cat? Can you try turkey instead of chicken in case he has a food sensitivity or allergy to chicken?

I have been distracted with my own cat in the hospital this weekend (IV fluids) so I apologize if I'm not keeping score well here. The way you described it, it sounds like he was constipated for a day or two? That would explain a mixture of both soft and hard stools. But if he is having at least some formed stool, then yes, you are heading in the right direction.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something that may work here.

The Stella and Chewy Freeze-dried Dinner Morsels, the shelf-stable ones that re-hydrate into a wet meal vs the freezer patties.

These may not be a great regular food because the bone content in them is unknown to very high depending on which cat you ask.

But for slowing down his transit time and offering some easy to digest nutrition, this may be just what he needs. Pick some up in a protein he likes and either powder it up by hand or grind it up in a spice grinder and mix with his regular food. A lot of cats prefer the S&C as a topper over rehydrated as a food. I would try just a small amount the first day or two until you've seen a poop. You don't want to give him too much at once and get him constipated again. If it doesn't work, if it doesn't help firm things up, it could just be that you didn't give enough. So let him have some more, maybe top his other meal(s) with some S&C and wait another poop. If he does get constipated again, stop offering it or offer less. And in the meantime, you can give him pumpkin to help with the constipation without sending things in the other direction again.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish we knew what was causing this because that could help us provide better guidance. Did you get the Fecal Diarrhea PCR test? This is more significantly expensive than the fecal flotation test for giardia and worms. Thus it is usually not a common test.

Have you gone through this page yet?

Job one is stopping the runs. If food is transiting too quickly to be digested, it doesn't make sense to keep feeding that food.

Were his stools better on the poached chicken or the fussy cat? Can you try turkey instead of chicken in case he has a food sensitivity or allergy to chicken?

I have been distracted with my own cat in the hospital this weekend (IV fluids) so I apologize if I'm not keeping score well here. The way you described it, it sounds like he was constipated for a day or two? That would explain a mixture of both soft and hard stools. But if he is having at least some formed stool, then yes, you are heading in the right direction.
Thanks, so sorry about your kitty, I hope she is better.

I have done all of the tests, two normal fecal floats and the pcr as I said above, they are all neg. Very expensive and they gave me no help at all because I know the tests can be wrong. He had two occasions when he stopped pooping when I finally started getting the flagyl in him consistently. First time 2 little hard poops and a lot of soft, then this time which was 2 hard poops and a little soft poop. Then it was only soft poop for a day. I think it was a reaction to fussie cat so I have stopped that. I bought some ground turkey and started him on that now in case it is the chicken causing it. So far no poop yet.

Last time he ate the chicken bone broth he had bad smelly gas so I don’t think that is helping either.

He is not going several times per day now as he was at first, it is more like once or twice or constipation for a day or two and then varied poop. It is impossible to tell if diet or meds is affecting what is going on other than fussie cat seemed to give him sift poop again but he has not had even one only hard poop since all this started. The rx diet was very bad too. He was fine before this all started on his outdoor diet which was kirkland premium dry and 9 lives.

I have read several articles on cat diarrhea and have not found any new ideas but I will check that one, actually I think I already read that one too. I have tried everything, s.boulardi, forti flora, special rx diet, flagyl, bone broth, poached chicken, withhold food etc and a new med with kaolin, pectin and probiotics, pro- pectalin. He had normal blood work mid August so he is absorbing his food, and he is obese.

I am hesitant to add something different in now especially stella and chewy freeze dried because that gave Wizard severe vomiting years ago and I returned it. Syb would not even eat it. S boulardi also seemed to make Merlin worse.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something that may work here.

The Stella and Chewy Freeze-dried Dinner Morsels, the shelf-stable ones that re-hydrate into a wet meal vs the freezer patties.

These may not be a great regular food because the bone content in them is unknown to very high depending on which cat you ask.

But for slowing down his transit time and offering some easy to digest nutrition, this may be just what he needs. Pick some up in a protein he likes and either powder it up by hand or grind it up in a spice grinder and mix with his regular food. A lot of cats prefer the S&C as a topper over rehydrated as a food. I would try just a small amount the first day or two until you've seen a poop. You don't want to give him too much at once and get him constipated again. If it doesn't work, if it doesn't help firm things up, it could just be that you didn't give enough. So let him have some more, maybe top his other meal(s) with some S&C and wait another poop. If he does get constipated again, stop offering it or offer less. And in the meantime, you can give him pumpkin to help with the constipation without sending things in the other direction again.
Really do not want to give him pumpkin if he stops having runny poop, that is usually a sign of healing and then they go to normal poop after a couple days of not going. Plus that article you gave me say no pumpkin?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really do not want to give him pumpkin if he stops having runny poop, that is usually a sign of healing and then they go to normal poop after a couple days of not going. Plus that article you gave me say no pumpkin?
The devil is in the dose. A little bit of pumpkin can go a long way to correct things one way or the other. A lot of pumpkin can make matters worse. I’d start with a teaspoon and go from there. One poop at a time to evaluate how it’s going.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The devil is in the dose. A little bit of pumpkin can go a long way to correct things one way or the other. A lot of pumpkin can make matters worse. I’d start with a teaspoon and go from there. One poop at a time to evaluate how it’s going.
Yeah, I think I will just stick with the turkey for now and finish the second round of flagyl. I ordered more pro pectalin too, it was cheaper on amazon than at the dvm and it lasts a long time. I just wonder at what point to introduce cat food in, when he as only normal poop? I have never had a cat have runs / soft stool for this long before. It is a nightmare.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long have you been feeding poached meat? If you just started turkey and you don’t know if that’s going to work any better than chicken, go ahead and give that a few days. But it’s probably been long enough that meat alone is too unbalanced. It’s fine for a week or two. But I think much longer and it really needs to either be balanced with a premix like EZ Complete or go back to a (nutritionally complete) canned food.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long have you been feeding poached meat? If you just started turkey and you don’t know if that’s going to work any better than chicken, go ahead and give that a few days. But it’s probably been long enough that meat alone is too unbalanced. It’s fine for a week or two. But I think much longer and it really needs to either be balanced with a premix like EZ Complete or go back to a (nutritionally complete) canned food.
It has only been about 9 days, not sure what to do at this point really. I gave him and Quinn some of the ground turkey about an hour ago they were playing, I played with him with a toy and Merlin just pooped again it sounded like it was all liquid and he was farting a lot lol. I haven’t checked it yet. I feel like slitting my wrists that sounds pretty good how about that? 😹😳

I am just not sure what to do at this point nothing absolutely nothing seems to be working. This is a young cat how can he be so ill and possibly have inflammatory bowel. His blood work is perfect. And he’s obese. I have no clue what is going on. If he has to be on steroids for a while I don’t know how I’m gonna do it I mean it’s gonna have to be compounded liquid which is going to be very expensive there’s no way I’m gonna try and put a pill in his mouth..he lets me scruff him and shoot the liquid in but that’s about it.

And why did his poop go almost back to normal for the two poops before these past two? If I can figure that out maybe I can stop this awful diarrhea. Maybe it was the other treatment… pro pectalin. I have ordered more of that from Amazon. But he can’t stay on that for life I don’t think. If this is being caused by diet changes, how long would it take his body to adjust and go back to normal poop? Does anybody have a clue?

Premix ez mix is that a supplement? Alnutrin is the one that I use for Quinn’s food but when I gave him Quinn’s food he seemed to get a touch of diarrhea/ soft stool so I’m guessing it has to be something in the supplement he’s reacting to, either that or the chicken or the chicken liver because those are the only ingredients.

Ok, Looked up easy complete and I remember looking at that in the past when I was starting to make Quinn’s food. there is no way I’m spending $35 on something that I may have to throw away and which can’t be returned. When I started with alnutrin I was able to get a sample of that to see if it was OK for Quinn first.

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has only been about 9 days, not sure what to do at this point really. I gave him and Quinn some of the ground turkey about an hour ago they were playing, I played with him with a toy and Merlin just pooped again it sounded like it was all liquid and he was farting a lot lol. I haven’t checked it yet. I feel like slitting my wrists that sounds pretty good how about that? 😹😳

I am just not sure what to do at this point nothing absolutely nothing seems to be working. This is a young cat how can he be so ill and possibly have inflammatory bowel. His blood work is perfect. And he’s obese. I have no clue what is going on. If he has to be on steroids for a while I don’t know how I’m gonna do it I mean it’s gonna have to be compounded liquid which is going to be very expensive there’s no way I’m gonna try and put a pill in his mouth..he lets me scruff him and shoot the liquid in but that’s about it.

And why did his poop go almost back to normal for the two poops before these past two? If I can figure that out maybe I can stop this awful diarrhea. Maybe it was the other treatment… pro pectalin. I have ordered more of that from Amazon. But he can’t stay on that for life I don’t think. If this is being caused by diet changes, how long would it take his body to adjust and go back to normal poop? Does anybody have a clue?

Premix ez mix is that a supplement? Alnutrin is the one that I use for Quinn’s food but when I gave him Quinn’s food he seemed to get a touch of diarrhea/ soft stool so I’m guessing it has to be something in the supplement he’s reacting to, either that or the chicken or the chicken liver because those are the only ingredients.

Ok, Looked up easy complete and I remember looking at that in the past when I was starting to make Quinn’s food. there is no way I’m spending $35 on something that I may have to throw away and which can’t be returned. When I started with alnutrin I was able to get a sample of that to see if it was OK for Quinn first.
They do offer samples for the cost of shipping.
Samples

Landon&Lucasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet for a PCR Panel some protozoan's like T. Feotus cannot be picked up on a regular fecal float or fecal smear. I just had a panal done on my boys we paid about 126.00 per test, we had the results back in about 4 days.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet for a PCR Panel some protozoan's like T. Feotus cannot be picked up on a regular fecal float or fecal smear. I just had a panal done on my boys we paid about 126.00 per test, we had the results back in about 4 days.
I did that for $200 all tests have been negative. That doesn’t mean they are really neg though, tests have errors. I believe the treatment is flagyl for all of the parasites. He has been on that consistently now for about 6 days maybe. I think I read about another drug that can be added in. What treatment did your cat have and it did it work?

This is the pcr panel he had done-

https://www.zoologix.com/dogcat/Datasheets/FelineDiarrheaPanel.htm

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They do offer samples for the cost of shipping.
Samples
Great, I am worried though that that one has so many odd ingredients and if this is dietary it will be more likely to cause problems for him. Alnutrin just has the needed supplements and is less expensive also.

So that poop from my last post was total liquid mush but only a tiny bit so most of what I heard was gas. Then he had another tiny liquid poop a few hours later I think. I started him back on a little pumpkin, s boulardi and a little slippery elm as well as propectalin which arrived from amazon. He went for nearly a day no poop and then pooped mushy but more formed stool, but still mush, stinky etc. I am at a loss here for what is going on. Wish my old dvm had not retired. Maybe he does have ibd, or maybe it is a parasite which is not responding to flagyl. I just read that ronidazole is used to treat that. Or maybe it is from all the diet changes.

Whenever my cats had runs in the past or mushy poop, it always responded to meds or just went away quickly on its own.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so Merlin pooped again just now for the first time since Friday I think. This time it is back to pure liquid with lots of gas. Only a tiny amount. Should I just give up on curing this with diet and seek dvm tests / advice again? I have no clue what to do here or what is going on. I had so much hope that it would be normal poop finally because it was semi formed last time. Should I try adding alnutrin and some fiber in to the turkey? I was reading the ingredients of the rc veterinary gastro fiber diets and I was horrified to see that they have corn, pork by products and wheat gluten I think, really? That is the best they can do. The one I tried only had lamb and P protein and a few other ingredients and the protein was hydrolyzed but that made him even worse.

He is still on flagyl and propectalin but I stopped the pumpkin and s boulardi and slippery elm. I wonder if I should try that again? Or is it just time for a steroid? I doubt this dvm is going to rx steroid without very expensive tests which may still give no answers.

Has anyone’s cat had mostly runs for this long with no apparent cause which did not respond to meds etc and cured it with diet, what happened?

Otherwise he is not sick, he is eating all the food I give him, he has progressed more socially, I broke down the drop cage, he is using a scratching post now as well and a bigger litter pan, extra big ss one I got for Quinn who is a side pan pee cat, but Quinn uses his cat genie now.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you’ve been off-roading for too long throwing everything at this cat and you still don’t know what’s wrong or what’s working. I believe you should go back to dvm and if you don’t like what this one says, maybe you can go to another. He’s probably been eating unbalanced for too long. Add Alnutrin and fiber to turkey sounds like a good idea.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you’ve been off-roading for too long throwing everything at this cat and you still don’t know what’s wrong or what’s working. I believe you should go back to dvm and if you don’t like what this one says, maybe you can go to another. He’s probably been eating unbalanced for too long. Add Alnutrin and fiber to turkey sounds like a good idea.
Well I would not call it “off roading” He was there two weeks ago and I have done 2 tests, a semi exam and rx diet, forti flora etc at huge expense plus several rx from dvm, and he is still on flagyl and propectalin recommended by them. With some suggestions from here, the poached chicken, bonebroth etc. I think you said two weeks for the poached chicken or turkey diet so that is about how long he has been on it except he did have fussie cat in between so He was not totally off normal cat food. But fussie cat made him worse for sure. I gave him a bit of kirkland dry maintenance chicken and rice which has better ingredients than the rc gastro diets early this am.

i am going to add alnutrin and chicken liver to the meat & give him some kirkland too if he gets better with it and call and see what dvm says- see If we can try a steroid without us and or at least without endoscopy. I know from past experience we could and most likely will still have no clear answers with those tests and they will just put him on a steroid prolly anyway. I will ask about the other meds for possible parasites as well.

i don’t know if there are other dvm who will treat a not totally tame cat for this type of thing and he may need sedation. They didn’t really examine him when he was there, he just sat in the cage and he kind of looked at him., his paws etc. So if M is not willing he’s going to have to be sedated obviously. which could mae him worse. This dvm said they would just give him gas though.

Landon&Lucasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did that for $200 all tests have been negative. That doesn’t mean they are really neg though, tests have errors. I believe the treatment is flagyl for all of the parasites. He has been on that consistently now for about 6 days maybe. I think I read about another drug that can be added in. What treatment did your cat have and it did it work?

This is the pcr panel he had done-

https://www.zoologix.com/dogcat/Datasheets/FelineDiarrheaPanel.htm
A PCR panel usually will not get you false negatives. The PCR panel test looks for the DNA of the Tritchamonos Feotus in their stool. The treatment is Ronidazole, it is the only mediation that will kill T. Feotus. Flagyl will not work. Here is the link to the guide on T. Feotus written by the leading expert on it. https://cvm.ncsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/ownersguide-to-feline-t-foetus.pdf

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A PCR panel usually will not get you false negatives. The PCR panel test looks for the DNA of the Tritchamonos Feotus in their stool. The treatment is Ronidazole, it is the only mediation that will kill T. Feotus. Flagyl will not work. Here is the link to the guide on T. Feotus written by the leading expert on it. https://cvm.ncsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/ownersguide-to-feline-t-foetus.pdf
T foetus is only one of seven (?) species that are tested for. In Krista’s case, she had clostridium which is treated with Flagyl. But that’s the rub. Until you know for sure that it is a bacterial overgrowth/infection causing the diarrhea, the pill-and-pray strategy of prescribing antibiotics for an unconfirmed or suspected infection could be doing more harm than good. Antibiotics aren’t picky and are wiping out the good bacteria needed for normal digestion of food (aka good stool formation.). If you aren’t helping to regenerate these colonies with something like s. Boulardii with MOS (a prebiotic), then diarrhea or soft stools will continue until the flagyl (or other antibiotic) is discontinued.