Mega massive vibes for Lazlo urgent

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Laurie, that's such GREAT news!
thanks to you and Gary for doing so much for Lazlo!

Continued for lazlo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just wanted to thank everyone again for your good thoughts, prayers, and vibes as we make this journey.

We were back at the oncologist today. Honestly, he was disappointed that the shrinkage wasn't more, but it IS good news that the tumor is responding to the treatment. What it meant was that he's adjusting the treatment. Instead of treating with just one chemo, Lazlo received two different chemotherapy medications today (smaller doses of each, obviously, than if given alone), and will continue to receive the "cocktails" each week this month.

Again, as last time, four weekly treatments, none the fifth, ultrasound that week. This was the 1st of the 2nd series of four.

Lazlo continues to do well.
Bloodwork hasn't changed. Still high white count, low red count, normal hematocrit though.

He was playing with da Bird.
He still needs a lot of rest, but he's kept his weight (11 pounds, 4 ounces). I still need to supplement his food with syringe feedings, but he still seems to like it, and he's loving his brushes, still kneading a lot, and is back sleeping between Gary's legs.

...and he's still bopping the ever-optimistic Billy, who is still getting in Lazlo's face, trying to be friends.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear it went well today! Lazlo is such a champ through all of this, and of course, so are you and Gary
I, along with you, hope and pray that the two different chemo "cocktails" together are able to battle that tumor.
I think your vet is doing a fantastic job and you are in good hands.

AWWWW Tell Billy Perla
him and not to feel bad if Lazlo bops him. Perlie sends
to any bops that need kissin

Thinking of you brushing Lazlo..... brush, brush and sing
:vibe s: Hang in there, sweetie.... one day at a time

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi sweetie.... finally have a decent keyboard here at my dadâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s house for a few minutes to type a decent message.... Have been thinking of you and Lazlo every day... I am so happy he continues to do well - he is my adoptive 5th kiddo!

I think it IS great news all things considered - he started the chemo at a slower pace to begin with because of the size of the tumor, then there was the depo shot.....
Laz is just a champ kitty, he is just the kitty of the kitties!!! Gotta love that little guy

And of course with you and Gary, my goodness, he could never be in better hands! Monster, huge, humongous, gigantic vibes for our baby boy!
Lots of love for you and daddy Gary

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Carolina, so sweet of you to check in from vacation!

And
to all for the continued good thoughts for Lazlo!

The double-chemo treatment is definitely affecting him differently.
He's sleeping under the chair (mostly). He is coming out to ask for a bit of food here and there, but not eating much once he has it. I fed him a can of a/d yesterday, and will try to get more than that in him today. But he definitely is not as happy about being syringe fed. He gets fidgety after two syringes.

He's still grooming and purring, and enjoying brushies.
And he did sleep on Gary's legs for a while last night. Lazlo's still smiling.
But he definitely doesn't feel too well.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm sorry Lazlo's not feeling his total perky self.
Many, many vibes that this is wicked short-term and he's back badder than ever ASAP!

AC

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry Lazlo isn't feeling good. Hopefully he feels better tomorrow

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Carolina, so sweet of you to check in from vacation!

And
to all for the continued good thoughts for Lazlo!

The double-chemo treatment is definitely affecting him differently.
He's sleeping under the chair (mostly). He is coming out to ask for a bit of food here and there, but not eating much once he has it. I fed him a can of a/d yesterday, and will try to get more than that in him today. But he definitely is not as happy about being syringe fed. He gets fidgety after two syringes.

He's still grooming and purring, and enjoying brushies.
And he did sleep on Gary's legs for a while last night. Lazlo's still smiling.
But he definitely doesn't feel too well.
Oh no, Laurie

Chemo can be such a drag - poor Lazlo. But that along with the brushes, and the love will conquer the evil C.
Lots and lots of for little Laz.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just sending MASSIVE
vibes and prayers to you, Laurie
and
Lazlo. Unfortunately with any chemo treatment, the not feeling great part always creeps in....
. But, with all of the tremendous love you and Gary are giving him, he is sure to rebound. Sure hope to hear he is feeling better this weekend

:vibe s:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK. I think I've figured out the problem. (I called the oncologist and his vet, but our power went out, and the oncologist went straight to voice mail.
His regular vet isn't in today, but I left a message on her cell and sent her an email).

Lazlo seems to feel OK. Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday morning he spent mostly under the chair. That, combined with the inappetance, made me concerned. But he does keep asking for nibbles and brushes, and is sleeping in the bedroom on Gary's legs - and kneading everywhere. I feed him in the bathroom (the only "room" we have that can be closed off) so as not to drive all the other cats insane. Since Tuesday, any time he's eating in the bathroom, I close the door and get his syringes ready, and then syringe him in there. So he KNOWS (at this point) that if he goes into the bathroom, he gets syringe fed.

He's not enjoying it like he was, and he gets fidgety by the third one, but all told, I think it's great that I don't have to restrain him to syringe feed him anyway.

After that, I brush him for as long as he wants (up to 45 minutes LOL). Then he leaves, goes to his paper bag (LOL) to groom, then would disappear under the chair. But as of yesterday afternoon, he was up on the back of the couch, sprawled out on the window seat, etc. So I'm thinking... maybe it's not so much that he doesn't feel well.

It occurs to me that a) this round of chemo treatments is more aggressive than the last month was, and b) two chemotherapy agents were used on Tuesday, one of which he hasn't had before.

Yes, it could be that. But one of the side effects of chemo is loss of smell, or altered taste (or both). I noticed he was sniffing at his food and not eating. But when I powder the dried liver and sprinkle it on top, he'll at least lick that top layer off.

So at the mid-day meal today, I broke out the Fancy Feast (classic) salmon.
A nice, stinky food. He sniffed, and immediately started eating. Not as much as he needs at each meal, but MUCH more than he has been. So I took the bowl, and crumbled human tuna on top, and kind of mushed some in there. He took one sniff, and dug in. He still didn't eat as much as he should... but just to see, I took a clean bowl, and put a little tuna in the bottom. And he ate it. The small chunks, chewing.

So I'm almost positive the issue is smell-related. The trick is going to be, without using human tuna, what will get him eating.

I ordered a slew of freeze-dried treats from Plain Brown Tabby so we can try various things. They won't be here for a while though... I guess I'll start a thread in nutrition for ideas on what I can do (besides human tuna) in the meantime.

And I'll be able to discuss it with his (hoslitic) vet when she calls.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Keeping up the tons of for Lazlo. Reduced sense of smell makes sense - do you have an outdoors store near you? They sometimes carry expedition food...which is usually freeze dried meat. Also, do you have a butcher that does fowl? Maybe he'd enjoy ground chicken or duck?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Laz doesn't like duck, but when we couldn't get to the pet store today (power went out so someone had to stay home), Gary ran up to the health food store in town to get chicken (they buy local free-range organic, and she was in the process of procuring us some chicken livers. She carries local free-range, organic, grass fed beef and liver)... we both completely forgot that town is completely flooded. I think the store is partially under water.

And I ordered a bunch of freeze dried things from Plain Brown Tabby.

In the meantime, I did start a thread in nutrition, and I don't know what's wrong with me, I forgot about baby food, and someone reminded me earlier today about heating up food. (Where's that bonk-yourself-on-the-head smiley?
). So I heated up half a jar of chicken baby food, and he ate it all. So I waited 15 minutes, and heated up the rest of the jar, and he polished it off. I'm used to thinking in terms of ml now, but I'm pretty sure he only needs about 240 calories a day (20 calories per pound, and he should be 12). But the jar had 100 calories in it.

I know he needs a complete diet, but for a few days, at least, I think just getting him back eating on his own is a good thing.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am right there with ya in the "can't smell too good" department. (Wilbur
) and guess what he has been eating the last two days...(mixed with his EVO DOG kibble), Fancy Feast classic Salmon, and Ocean Whitefish
. That Fancy Feast is a miracle to me with any finicky pets. I always have some on-hand.

It is incredible what we come up with when we are just going over and over in our minds about what needs to be tried.. We become expert detectives in what is the taste of the day
. If something is not working, then I find that something else WILL work, if only for a few days. Then something else comes to mind to try and then that works for a few days. We have to become brilliant.

I will suggest Stella and Chewey's freeze-dried raw Charming Chicken and Beef dinner. My natural pet food stores sells their whole line for cats and dogs. My cats all go crazy for the Stella and Chewey's freeze-dried cubes. I wet them a bit and offer them as treats. Perla is a huge fan, Miss Picky Perla!!!! You can even crush it over the food and it will get the most finicky kitty digging in. It has also helped me with Wilbur, for about two days

Anyway, I am so happy to hear you are feeling better now that you know the reason behind his lack of appetite this week and have a plan of attack.

More
Love to you too

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

(Where's that bonk-yourself-on-the-head smiley?
).
OH I know this one all too well

YAY - see you are finding new things for him to eat, and really, who cares right now if it is "balanced" - I threw that out the window last week
YES, baby food!!!!!!! The meat varieties are just perfect for this situation