Cat canned food carrageenan free for urinary issues!

sawa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So Rory has now been home for 4 days since his urinary obstruction. He is peeing now and has finished his pain meds, he is still on antibiotics and muscle relief medication but he is almost done! Hopefully he fully recovers soon, he has been changed to a new prescription diet but he gets very bored easily with his food. I do mix things up a little, and mix in some water to add some extra moisture. Bowls of fresh water and fountains of water are easily accessible to him to keep him moisturized and hydrated!
Now, The vet did give some samples of urinary care types of canned food but a lot of them contain the ingredient “carrageenan”. I know Royal canin mussels in gravy is carrageenan free alongside some of the Hill’s C/D urinary care (not all of them) what are some suggestions for carrageenan-free urinary care formula canned foods for cats? I’m trying to avoid this ingredient as it can cause some inflammation in the intestines and I want to eliminate it as I was doing before his diet.
Any suggestions?

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's not specifically for urinary issues but Rawz pate do not have any gums at all!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Royal Canin Urinary SO Morsels in Gravy does not contain carrageenan. Neither does Hill's Prescription Diet C/D Multicare Urinary. Nor Purina Pro Plan FOCUS Urinary Tract Health Formula Chicken Entree. Ditto with Wysong Uretic with Organic Chicken Canned Cat Food. That's all the ones I know that are specifically for urinary care.

CelesteMac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Royal Canin Urinary SO Morsels in Gravy does not contain carrageenan. Neither does Hill's Prescription Diet C/D Multicare Urinary. Nor Purina Pro Plan FOCUS Urinary Tract Health Formula Chicken Entree. Ditto with Wysong Uretic with Organic Chicken Canned Cat Food. That's all the ones I know that are specifically for urinary care.
I just got off a Chat with Royal Canin - the Urinary SO loaf contains CARRAGEENAN.
I'm using the Hill's Prescription Diet c/d Multicare Stress Urinary Care with Chicken Dry Cat Food with no carrageenan.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just got off a Chat with Royal Canin - the Urinary SO loaf contains CARRAGEENAN. I'm using the Hill's Prescription Diet c/d Multicare Stress Urinary Care with Chicken Dry Cat Food with no carrageenan.
Wow - then they have changed it as it did not use to have that in the ingredients.

CelesteMac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Royal Canin Multifunction Urinary + Calm Morsels in Gravy Can for Cats does not have the carrageenan. It seems loaf, pate to gel.

I read this article that said: "Don’t let the pet food companies fool you…Other names carrageenan can be called are:
Algas, Algue Rouge Marine, Carrageen,Carrageenin, Carragenano, Carragenina, Carragheenan, Carraghénane, Carraghénine,Chondrus crispus, Chondrus Extract, Euchema species, Extrait de Mousse d’Irlande,Galgarine, Gigartina chamissoi, Gigartina mamillosa, Gigartina skottsbergii, Irish MossAlgae, Irish Moss Extract, Mousse d’Irlande, Red Marine Algae."

What No One Tells You About Carrageenan In Cat Food - Two Crazy Cat Ladies

Last edited by a moderator:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The "over the counter" Purina urinary food doesn't have this. I checked our cans the other day.

CelesteMac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had dumped all my Purina, veterinary and regular. There was an issue that wasn't being addressed a few months ago by Purina or the FDA. Pets dying. I no longer buy Purina. There is a facebook group called Saving Pets One Pet @ A Time (The Original) run by volunteers and documenting the lost pets.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had dumped all my Purina, veterinary and regular. There was an issue that wasn't being addressed a few months ago by Purina or the FDA. Pets dying. I no longer buy Purina. There is a facebook group called Saving Pets One Pet @ A Time (The Original) run by volunteers and documenting the lost pets.
Yes, I'm aware of the claims of that group. One of the main "cases" they were quoting was a dog, whose vet thought the dog had a tumor and the owner was unable to pay for a scan.

Here's our discussion on it here: Problems with Purina Pro Plan??

Obviously, you should do what you feel is best, but in order for claims to be valid, the "illnesses" need to actually be linked to the food. Unfortunately, fake news is abundant.

Unfortunately, the Big 3 are the only ones that make true urinary foods. You may find some other tricks and tips for managing urinary conditions here: Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD) | International Cat Care

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do use any Purina products at all. I fed my first cat a purina product.It was the only thing he would eat. Next thing you know he is peeing blood in the tub. Rush him to the vet who said stop feeding him that crap. Turns out it had Propylene Glycol in it( a ingredient in antifreeze among other things.There were not a lot of options back then just supermarkets and no big big pet food suppliers. He was put on a pill and his food was changed.Mom looked at me, I'm sorry to say you might not have him for long. Fast forward twenty years. Yeh I had him that long. He was my twenty year miracle, no thanks to Purina or the AFFCO. He lived twenty years and Propylene Glycol was finally completely banned twenty years after his death. They kept lowering the amount allowed in cat food until they decided cats could not tolerate any at all DUH. Thousands of cats had kidney issues or died from kidney failure from this being in cat food. Be carefully who you trust, maybe trust on one. At the very least the not pet food industry! Do as much research as you can, cross your fingers and pray.
NOTE: it was in dog food as well and as far as I know longer then it was cat food. So more then forty years in cat don't know how long in dog food.

CelesteMac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know!!!! I have been going out of my mind (literally) when I got a whiff of the Purina "thing". I really don't care if it "could be fake news" I am not willing to take the chance when hundreds of pet owners were documenting the issues. I have enough problems trying to keep the kitties healthy! There are not a lot of choices, as you said. My Ringo is not a fan, but he will eventually eat the food because he's hungry. He steals his sister's chow, even though I have a "secure" microchip feeder for her! He knows how to break and enter. Once a week, I split a packet of Tikki cat mousse (that he LOVES- that's how I got him to take his meds when he came home from ER vet!) into two meals and he has that along with a bit of the hills urinary stress dry food (which he also loves!) Then I find out about this carrageenan and I'm spinning again. Luckily there are a few types that I have that do not have this ingredient. (The Hills urinary stress dry food, Hills urinary formula with whitefish, Royal Canin urinary so calm slices in gravy and Royal Canin Multifunction Urinary + Calm Morsels in Gravy.)

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know!!!! I have been going out of my mind (literally) when I got a whiff of the Purina "thing". I really don't care if it "could be fake news" I am not willing to take the chance when hundreds of pet owners were documenting the issues. I have enough problems trying to keep the kitties healthy! There are not a lot of choices, as you said. My Ringo is not a fan, but he will eventually eat the food because he's hungry. He steals his sister's chow, even though I have a "secure" microchip feeder for her! He knows how to break and enter. Once a week, I split a packet of Tikki cat mousse (that he LOVES- that's how I got him to take his meds when he came home from ER vet!) into two meals and he has that along with a bit of the hills urinary stress dry food (which he also loves!) Then I find out about this carrageenan and I'm spinning again. Luckily there are a few types that I have that do not have this ingredient. (The Hills urinary stress dry food, Hills urinary formula with whitefish, Royal Canin urinary so calm slices in gravy and Royal Canin Multifunction Urinary + Calm Morsels in Gravy.)
I would definitely stay a way from the carrageenan too. Some companies dropped it, but some just refused.OK well bye to you. People spend a ton of money on their furkids. They would like them to stay alive please.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree its always important to look up legitimate studies on all ingredients in your cats food and care products.

However, I don't take stock in social media propaganda campaigns or manipulation of data. Both man made and naturally found ingredients can be dangerous at times and in certain dosages. Unfortunately, for humans and pets, we've learned from trial and error.

Anyways, the best way to prevent urinary issues is a full wet diet. There's many on the list provided above to choose from, and theres other tips on the link I provided. I certainly respect your brand anti-loyalty decisions, whatever the reason. We all have those; it is personal choice. I just dont like groups like that fear-mongering in people.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree its always important to look up legitimate studies on all ingredients in your cats food and care products.

However, I don't take stock in social media propaganda campaigns or manipulation of data. Both man made and naturally found ingredients can be dangerous at times and in certain dosages. Unfortunately, for humans and pets, we've learned from trial and error.

Anyways, the best way to prevent urinary issues is a full wet diet. There's many on the list provided above to choose from, and theres other tips on the link I provided. I certainly respect your brand anti-loyalty decisions, whatever the reason. We all have those; it is personal choice. I just dont like groups like that fear-mongering in people.
I am sorry if I offended you or anyone else on edited post. I certainly do not want to get into politics in anyway. I agree with you I need to be more careful. To be clear I google things like anyone else, but prefer sites such as Cornell Vet School / legitimate sites for information not as you say propaganda, fake news etc. Ultimately I get my information from vets reg and specialty. The ones with all the letters and degrees.
My cats major issue was a damn bad kidney issue. Urine was secondary. The urine thing tipped me off. I was twelve, and my cat was in the hospital a longtime fighting for his life. He was on kidney treatment for the rest of his life.So unfortunately that has stayed with me.The experience certainly taught me a lot.
I tend to a positive person, but the issue of cat food is a tough one. People are certainly entitled to do as they please with their pets.
So again I apologize, I am capable of that and not a perfect person.
I wish you the best.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sorry if I offended you or anyone else on edited post. I certainly do not want to get into politics in anyway. I agree with you I need to be more careful. To be clear I google things like anyone else, but prefer sites such as Cornell Vet School / legitimate sites for information not as you say propaganda, fake news etc. Ultimately I get my information from vets reg and specialty. The ones with all the letters and degrees.
My cats major issue was a damn bad kidney issue. Urine was secondary. The urine thing tipped me off. I was twelve, and my cat was in the hospital a longtime fighting for his life. He was on kidney treatment for the rest of his life.So unfortunately that has stayed with me.The experience certainly taught me a lot.
I tend to a positive person, but the issue of cat food is a tough one. People are certainly entitled to do as they please with their pets.
So again I apologize, I am capable of that and not a perfect person.
I wish you the best.
No offense at all! We're all on the dame team here: Team Keep Our Cats Healthy and Happy!
Since research on cat food is so behind, of course the area is rampant with opinions and we can each only do our best by our cats.

That must have been so hard and scary 💕 Of course you are worried about it again. My childhood cat was shot by a neighbour and i still remember the car ride with my grandparents, holding him on the way to the vet. I was only 5 or 6 years old. He survived, but as passionate as you are about food, I am just as passionate about supervised outside time only.

My comment about propaganda was directed at the FB group, not at any member of this site.

Im glad you shared your story. Thank you. Its an important reminder of how far weve come and how far we have to go on animal research, especially nutrition.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No offense at all! We're all on the dame team here: Team Keep Our Cats Healthy and Happy!
Since research on cat food is so behind, of course the area is rampant with opinions and we can each only do our best by our cats.

That must have been so hard and scary 💕 Of course you are worried about it again. My childhood cat was shot by a neighbour and i still remember the car ride with my grandparents, holding him on the way to the vet. I was only 5 or 6 years old. He survived, but as passionate as you are about food, I am just as passionate about supervised outside time only.

My comment about propaganda was directed at the FB group, not at any member of this site.

Im glad you shared your story. Thank you. Its an important reminder of how far weve come and how far we have to go on animal research, especially nutrition.
Alldara
I am with you! We certainly try to get has many indoors as possible, but difficult as it is farm land and we a lot of them. With the foxes( and more), cars and an occasional sociopath that will shoot them. It makes me heartsick. I am sorry about your cat as well.Keep up the fight.The problem with nutrition in cats and people, ingredients can be suspect for a very, very long time before they are banned. Carrageenan is a good example. Highly suspect by many including nutritional vets, but definitely not truly verified or banned. Sometimes it is just the way it is. Thank you for all you do!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Alldara
I am with you! We certainly try to get has many indoors as possible, but difficult as it is farm land and we a lot of them. With the foxes( and more), cars and an occasional sociopath that will shoot them. It makes me heartsick. I am sorry about your cat as well.Keep up the fight.The problem with nutrition in cats and people, ingredients can be suspect for a very, very long time before they are banned. Carrageenan is a good example. Highly suspect by many including nutritional vets, but definitely not truly verified or banned. Sometimes it is just the way it is. Thank you for all you do!
I know. With peas and légumes too 🫠 the studies take so long to confirm.

Thanks for all you do as well