Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Cat Foods Without Gums, Bha, Carrageenan, Etc

Discussion in 'Cat Nutrition' started by DrizzleOfSalt, Mar 8, 2018.

1. DrizzleOfSalt

DrizzleOfSalt Thread Starter TCS Member Young Cat

Mar 4, 2018
    If you guys know any cat food brands without BHA, gums, carrageenan, harmful vegetables, and harmful fruit. Please list them down below, thanks!

I wanted to try Dr. Elsey's Chicken Formula but I saw it has flaxseed and rosemary extract. Are those two safe?

2. duckpond

duckpond TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 13, 2017
    We are all looking for those foods :)

I don't feed Dr. Elsey's wet food, because of the agar-agar. But i do like their dry food.

i don't know as flaxseed is actually beneficial to cats, but i don't think its harmful. Rosemary extract is suppose to be safe, a lot of brands use it. Rosemary oil is a different story, and never used with cats.

The only food i can think of that i feed that has none of those ingredients you list is Tiki cat after dark. It does have vitamin K3, which dosen't bother me, but does other people.

I think it is impossible to find a food that has nothing in it that can be questioned. I try to rotate foods that dont have ALL of the things i dont like in them, so that i dont get any one of something i dont like in each meal.

DrizzleOfSalt and Furballsmom purraised this.

3. Furballsmom

Furballsmom Cat Fan especially Black Cats Staff Member Forum Helper

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    I agree with @duckpond, it's a very real challenge, and three months from now the 'landscape' of what is considered ok today will have changed due to reformulations of any number of commercial cat foods.
    This is why more folks are making the choice of homemade raw. I haven't, even though there are now premade mixes where the only other requirement is to add the meat, and I guess even some of those are filled with 'fillers' to look out for.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    duckpond and DrizzleOfSalt purraised this.

4. DrizzleOfSalt

Mar 4, 2018
    Okayy
    I'll try Dr. Elsey's dry food, since none of the ingredients are bothering me anymore. Hopefully, it goes well!
    Thanks for letting me know they're safe.

Furballsmom purraised this.

5. DrizzleOfSalt

Mar 4, 2018
    It's sad how we (cat owners) even HAVE to search/make our own raw food.

Furballsmom purraised this.

6. LTS3

LTS3 TCS Member Staff Member Forum Helper

Aug 29, 2014
    USA