Meet Nico! :d

hanzaladhanse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Helllo everyone ! My search for a fur baby ended 4 days ago when I found a woman who had 7 Siberians( yes, seven). One of them now is our family member :D The mother has won the ICF cat show and his sister ended up as a runner up.
Nico just turned 5 months old two days ago. He’s red tabby and has beautiful gold eyes. He likes to play with my fingers and paper balls.:redtongue: He also loves to sleep( he’s sleeping rn). I think he’s yet to settle down. He uses the litter box properly and eats properly too. He weighs 5.3lbs( is this proper for his age?) During the day, he hides under the bed and sleeps and is under the bed for hours ( is this okay?) . His mother, father and one sister are certified. I am planning to get him certified very soon. He just got his first vaccination yesterday and got dewormed for the first time. I’m feeding him two 3oz wet meal pouches divided into 4 meals throughout the day and handful kibbles before he sleeps. Please suggest a diet for him and some toys too :p

Attachments

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Helllo everyone ! ...
Nico just turned 5 months old two days ago. He’s red tabby and has beautiful gold eyes. ... He just got his first vaccination yesterday and got dewormed for the first time. I’m feeding him two 3oz wet meal pouches divided into 4 meals throughout the day and handful kibbles before he sleeps. Please suggest a diet for him and some toys too :p
He's awesome! :hyper:

I've never had a "big breed" cat :paperbag:
but I've had kittens... and they get hungry!​
Does Nico seem to be hungry still during the day? I think it's a good idea to spread out the food into many meals per day when they are kittens. But other members can pitch in on what cats that belong to big breeds like to eat, and how much they eat per day!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

hanzaladhanse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's awesome! :hyper:

I've never had a "big breed" cat :paperbag:
but I've had kittens... and they get hungry!​
Does Nico seem to be hungry still during the day? I think it's a good idea to spread out the food into many meals per day when they are kittens. But other members can pitch in on what cats that belong to big breeds like to eat, and how much they eat per day per day!
He says it when he is hungry. But he doesn’t even finish half 3 oz pouch in one sitting. I mean he takes several rounds of the house before finishing one meal :stars:

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a beautiful boy for sure. At his age I'd let him eat what he wants. He's a giant breed so has a lot of growing to do plus he's using lots of energy bouncing around the place. He won't get fat at this stage. Oliver eats some of a pouch then wants me to open a new one. He seems to enjoy the ritual of me opening a new pouch. I ignore this until he finishes (mostly) the current one.

hanzaladhanse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's a beautiful boy for sure. At his age I'd let him eat what he wants. He's a giant breed so has a lot of growing to do plus he's using lots of energy bouncing around the place. He won't get fat at this stage. Oliver eats some of a pouch then wants me to open a new one. He seems to enjoy the ritual of me opening a new pouch. I ignore this until he finishes (mostly) the current one.
How does he let you know that he is hungry? I mean what does he do? ( I am first time owner):cold:

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should have said that Oliver is a ten year old Maine Coon who only likes wet food now. I also have a Siberian (mostly) who is coming up one and he only likes dried food at the moment. However they're both giant breeds so it's the same rules.

Oliver meows and meows and won't leave me alone until he's fed so it's obvious when he wants some nosh. He's my best friend when he's hungry :D. He weighs about 22lbs so that means several times a day. I don't ration him, it's on demand but I do check almost every day that he's not becoming overweight. The rough and ready check is that you should be able to feel the ribs under a few millimetres of flesh. Don't bother checking your boy at his age, just let him eat. Don't worry, he'll certainly let you know one way or another when he needs feeding

Chubchub is easy as he only likes dried food and it's always out for him. At his age he eats when he wants because he's still got 3-4 years of growing ahead of him and is full of youthful energy.

This is the way I do it but some folks have more of a rigid routine which is valid. Again, at his age I'd let him chomp away whenever he wants. This is getting very difficult just now as my moggie cat Betty has decided to invade the laptop and is sticking her claws in me kneading. :petcat:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WELCOME NICO! Oh, he is lovely, isn't he? I wouldn't worry overly much about him being under the bed just yet. Hiding is perfectly normal for a cat in a new place. He seems to be out and about regularly, and zooming around, so I think he'll get over it. Or, you could get him a cat tent as a better alternative. He may just be a cave-dweller.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
F9D7BE42-5C32-4AF2-8C99-655ED4CFD6C6.gif
Nico,
2EF360C6-E8E1-4E60-9FD2-31150FC48EE9.gif
to TCS :wave3:

Zico is such a beautiful kitty :happycat: :lovecat4:

It’s normal for him to hide for a short while as the surroundings and sounds are still new to him. Play more by luring him out with a cat wand or treats. Once he warms up he’ll naturally come out and explore the house. It’s a good thing that he is using the and eating.

At 5.3lbs is a little under weight for his age. At 5 months old, he is still very much a kitten and feed him with wet food as much as he can eat at one sitting. He should be fed 4 to 5 a times a day on wet and dry just as snacks and not leaving it out for him to graze on. He needs the proteins from the wet food to grow as dry food is full of carbohydrates.

Get a cat wand, ping pong balls for a start.
7 Proven Ways To Get Your Cat To Be More Active
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know
How And Why Do Cats Play?
Not all cats like all kind of toys. One thing they’ll like is cardboard boxes 52 Reasons Why Cats Must Get Inside Boxes

hanzaladhanse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WELCOME NICO! Oh, he is lovely, isn't he? I wouldn't worry overly much about him being under the bed just yet. Hiding is perfectly normal for a cat in a new place. He seems to be out and about regularly, and zooming around, so I think he'll get over it. Or, you could get him a cat tent as a better alternative. He may just be a cave-dweller.
It’s more of a routine! He goes under the bed at 10 am and comes out at around 1 pm. Maybe because he wants a peaceful, quiet place to sleep?

hanzaladhanse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
View attachment 210603 Nico,
View attachment 210604 to TCS :wave3:

Zico is such a beautiful kitty :happycat: :lovecat4:

It’s normal for him to hide for a short while as the surroundings and sounds are still new to him. Play more by luring him out with a cat wand or treats. Once he warms up he’ll naturally come out and explore the house. It’s a good thing that he is using the and eating.

At 5.3lbs is a little under weight for his age. At 5 months old, he is still very much a kitten and feed him with wet food as much as he can eat at one sitting. He should be fed 4 to 5 a times a day on wet and dry just as snacks and not leaving it out for him to graze on. He needs the proteins from the wet food to grow as dry food is full of carbohydrates.

Get a cat wand, ping pong balls for a start.
7 Proven Ways To Get Your Cat To Be More Active
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know
How And Why Do Cats Play?
Not all cats like all kind of toys. One thing they’ll like is cardboard boxes 52 Reasons Why Cats Must Get Inside Boxes
Is 8.7 oz wet meal per day good for gaining weight if didvided into 5 meals per day?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Is 8.7 oz wet meal per day good for gaining weight if didvided into 5 meals per day?
To gauge her intake per meal and per day, feed her as much as she can eat at one sitting either in 4 or 5 meals. Kittens eat a lot as they grow.

For example, feed xxx amount of food at one sitting 5 times a day or xxxx amount of food at one sitting 4 times a day. This is scheduled feeding so that they get used to feeding time.

As they grow older around a year old, you’ll notice that their food intake will taper down.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome, especially with your lovely pictures! Kittens should eat as much as they want.They have way too much energy output to worry about getting fat. Large breeds take two years at least to grow to their full potential.
He is absolutely gorgeous! Don't worry about him 'hiding' for a while, perfectly normal with a new youngster. I pray you have many happy years together!

hanzaladhanse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To gauge her intake per meal and per day, feed her as much as she can eat at one sitting either in 4 or 5 meals. Kittens eat a lot as they grow.

For example, feed xxx amount of food at one sitting 5 times a day or xxxx amount of food at one sitting 4 times a day. This is scheduled feeding so that they get used to feeding time.

As they grow older around a year old, you’ll notice that their food intake will taper down.
Yes. I am planning to keep him on a wet meal diet with little kibbles per day. And also 1-2 raw meals per week

hanzaladhanse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Getting cat tree tomorrow. Hope it solves the problem of him hiding under the bed :D