Meet Nico! :d

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hanzaladhanse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome, especially with your lovely pictures! Kittens should eat as much as they want.They have way too much energy output to worry about getting fat. Large breeds take two years at least to grow to their full potential.
He is absolutely gorgeous! Don't worry about him 'hiding' for a while, perfectly normal with a new youngster. I pray you have many happy years together!
He shows short, sudden moments of amazing energy. I still think he has more potential and that will come out when he gets settled and gets a load of toys :hyper:

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
what a gorgeous kitteh! we free feed here. all of my cats are in a healthy weight range according to the vet so it appears to work. dry food is left out all the time and I put down wet food as needed. my maine coon is a very fussy eater and will only eat if I have a platform for her food so it's elevated a bit. lol. my siberian is SO HIGH ENERGY..... that he's now 7 years old and he still hasn't put on weight. he's still kitten fast. he's slowed down a little from kitten hood but still faster than a speeding bullet. for a few years I tried to get him to gain weight but it never worked. the vets still ask me if im starving him. :( (but they say he is healthy. just underweight) so I wouldn't say this many ounces.. I'd say get to know him and how he asks for food and just always have dry food down for him so he can get a nibble if he's hungry and there is no wet atm.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
as far as wet food goes. I have three cats (and another one in the basement soon to be integrated into the house) two of them forest cats, one of them a jungle cat and the fourth is a forest cat mix. so it's difficult to translate to one kitten. but I put down a can at a time. (and for this exercise lets pretend we're talking three cats instead of 4 because the fourth atm is a little different than part of the pack for feeding purposes. he's on a separate schedule he's getting a can and a half a day approx) if the can I put down gets eaten immediately I put down another can. (5.5 oz) if it doesn't I let it stay down for a couple hours. often the food remains uneaten (Although that's changed since I started using an elevated platform to feed them on. all of my cats are big even the jungle cat. he actually outweighs the maine coon and he's only bordering on overweight) if there is any interest in the food as I'm picking it up I put down something else. if there is no interest I let it go for a couple more hours. unless someone asks me for food along the way. If I'm leaving the house I always put a can down before going. my siberian is the king of letting me know he wants food. he's very in your face. he goes over to the dry food and will eat a kibble with a disdainful look on his face while staring at me. he does all the stereotypical cat things rubbing up on things and being ridiculously lovey and he tumps things off the island and rubs up against food boxes and hangs out where we prepare the food and he bites elbows. lol. we always put down food when he asks for it.

hanzaladhanse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
as far as wet food goes. I have three cats (and another one in the basement soon to be integrated into the house) two of them forest cats, one of them a jungle cat and the fourth is a forest cat mix. so it's difficult to translate to one kitten. but I put down a can at a time. (and for this exercise lets pretend we're talking three cats instead of 4 because the fourth atm is a little different than part of the pack for feeding purposes. he's on a separate schedule he's getting a can and a half a day approx) if the can I put down gets eaten immediately I put down another can. (5.5 oz) if it doesn't I let it stay down for a couple hours. often the food remains uneaten (Although that's changed since I started using an elevated platform to feed them on. all of my cats are big even the jungle cat. he actually outweighs the maine coon and he's only bordering on overweight) if there is any interest in the food as I'm picking it up I put down something else. if there is no interest I let it go for a couple more hours. unless someone asks me for food along the way. If I'm leaving the house I always put a can down before going. my siberian is the king of letting me know he wants food. he's very in your face. he goes over to the dry food and will eat a kibble with a disdainful look on his face while staring at me. he does all the stereotypical cat things rubbing up on things and being ridiculously lovey and he tumps things off the island and rubs up against food boxes and hangs out where we prepare the food and he bites elbows. lol. we always put down food when he asks for it.
It’s been 20 days since I got him home. He’s on a wet food diet around 10.5oz per day divided into 5 meals and some kibble for the night. He was 5.3lbs when I got him now he’s 6.6lbs. But I don’t know why like 10 days ago he was looking all boney and weak and he lost so much of his fur. We Took him to the wet, the weight was constant and he said it was because he wasn’t drinking water. He’s fine now, still doesn’t drink water that much but he has gained weight. I can still feel his spine and shoulder blades when I run my hand over him. What could be the problem? Or is it even a problem?

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
don't be afraid to leave a bit of wet food down for a few hours at a time if he isn't eating it when you put it down. the temperature it's processed at makes it so it doesn't go bad quite the way human food does and cats have strong stomachs. and do mix in a bit of water into his canned food to make sure he's getting enuff water. we have to do that sometimes. it REALLY worries me he was losing fur.. I'd take him to another vet personally. if you have any vets that specialize in cats I'd go there.

also what brand are you feeding him? both wet and dry? some brands are better than others nutritionally. make sure it's a kitten food. losing fur sounds like he's not getting nutrients or has some kind of illness otherwise, not lack of water.

hanzaladhanse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
don't be afraid to leave a bit of wet food down for a few hours at a time if he isn't eating it when you put it down. the temperature it's processed at makes it so it doesn't go bad quite the way human food does and cats have strong stomachs. and do mix in a bit of water into his canned food to make sure he's getting enuff water. we have to do that sometimes. it REALLY worries me he was losing fur.. I'd take him to another vet personally. if you have any vets that specialize in cats I'd go there.

also what brand are you feeding him? both wet and dry? some brands are better than others nutritionally. make sure it's a kitten food. losing fur sounds like he's not getting nutrients or has some kind of illness otherwise, not lack of water.
I feed him whiskas wet and dry food for kittens. His fur is better than what it was 10 days ago. Fur loss can take place because of stress?

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd go for a better quality food than that if you can. stress can be a cause. I guess I was imagining all large patches of his hair falling out. it was just like excess shedding?

is whiskas wet food good for your cat?

with kittens we always go with royal canin babykat. wellness has a kitten formula you can buy. there are a few good wet kitten formulas out there. cheapest place to buy is amazon in my experience.

hanzaladhanse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd go for a better quality food than that if you can. stress can be a cause. I guess I was imagining all large patches of his hair falling out. it was just like excess shedding?

is whiskas wet food good for your cat?

with kittens we always go with royal canin babykat. wellness has a kitten formula you can buy. there are a few good wet kitten formulas out there. cheapest place to buy is amazon in my experience.
No. No excess hair fall . Just the length of his fur decreased and I started feeling his bones.
I’ll try with the better wet food

CaliCatCharlie

Living FeLV Pawwwsitive!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome! :hellocat:

Your fur baby is adorable!

The only advice I can give is that most kitties spend a lot of time hiding out at first. He’s probably out inspecting while you sleep. Once he gets used to the noises and rhythms he’ll be out and about.

Lots of good people around here. Lots of great advice. Enjoy!

hanzaladhanse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome! :hellocat:

Your fur baby is adorable!

The only advice I can give is that most kitties spend a lot of time hiding out at first. He’s probably out inspecting while you sleep. Once he gets used to the noises and rhythms he’ll be out and about.

Lots of good people around here. Lots of great advice. Enjoy!
Thanks for the advice. He doesn’t hide now like he used to. He’s ruling the house now. But still doesn’t like getting touched or sitting in my lap for more than 10 secs:( doesn’t even like to cuddle and never comes next to me to sleep. But I guess he’s taking his time so I’ll leave him as he is for now :D

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Just be patient. Our ex stray Gypsy, after the initial getting to know each other, has always been very friendly but doesn't like me to pick her up. Scott can carry her like a baby but she will sometimes perch on my lap, but not his. If we make the effort to go wherever she is lounging we can indulge in chin scritching, tootsie massages, heck, full-body massages, fur huffing and are usually offered a tummy to rub. But she is just now starting to seek us out for cuddles, the cold weather is helping I think.

Last edited:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Siberians! Love those cats, they're so much like Maine Coons. He's stunning. And those eyes!

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hand feed him tasty things. and I don't know if this is true for all siberians or just my weird boy but we do something we call warm wet momma tongue. get a warm wash clothe and get it hot with water. (not too hot of course lol) then wipe his head with it. then wipe the back of his head three times (no less no more) in the wrong direction. then go back to normal. it's after the three wrong ways a flip switches and he turns into 1 week old baby kat every time. then we get the rest of his body with it. he purrs and purrs and rolls around and nuzzles us. it's a real bonding thing. our other cats don't respond like he does. it's worth a try though.

hanzaladhanse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hand feed him tasty things. and I don't know if this is true for all siberians or just my weird boy but we do something we call warm wet momma tongue. get a warm wash clothe and get it hot with water. (not too hot of course lol) then wipe his head with it. then wipe the back of his head three times (no less no more) in the wrong direction. then go back to normal. it's after the three wrong ways a flip switches and he turns into 1 week old baby kat every time. then we get the rest of his body with it. he purrs and purrs and rolls around and nuzzles us. it's a real bonding thing. our other cats don't respond like he does. it's worth a try though.
Going to try it out today. I will be forever grateful to you if this works :D btw, did you get to know this thing from somewhere or started doing it yourself?

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Going to try it out today. I will be forever grateful to you if this works :D btw, did you get to know this thing from somewhere or started doing it yourself?

it was accidental. he was quite a terror. I believe he got into something and we needed to wipe him down and then we noticed this behavior. then it happened again and we figured out we had a trick. lol