Meet Karen ♥️

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After I gave Karen her morning KMR, I put fresh dry kitten food down for her. She tried to cover it up, lol! Apparently, we have a food aversion now. Labor is looking closer and closer!

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tonight marks 3 weeks and 1 day since I first saw/felt Karen's kittens moving. Just now, she was racing through the house, playing with strings/cords and lunging at her own shadow. It's super cute to watch, but I'm worried about her kittens. Is it ok for her to be so energetic this far along?
She just laid down to rest now. Maybe this will kickstart labor?
I'm so confused, lol!

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Karen is still hanging in there! She refused her wet food this morning...which she has never done before. I have to work a split shift tonight, and will be gone overnight until tomorrow afternoon. I really hope I don't miss the delivery. I want to make sure she is ok....

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Karen's appetite is back! And I observed Braxton Hicks contractions tonight while she was resting. The saga continues....

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, I think we are in the home stretch. Tonight, Karen rolled over and actually let me pet her belly.....for like 5 seconds, then the claws came out, lol!
While on her back, I noticed some dried reddish-pink discharge on her vulva. I also noticed that she only has 6 teats. Now I'm worried....if she has more than 6 kittens, how does that work? Anyone have any experience with this?
Gratuitous Karen pics from this evening.
IMG_20191008_203225.jpg

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nightly Karen update. She's now nearly big as a house, lol! She discovered today that she can groom herself much easier if she lies on the leather couch. More crusted "stuff" stuck to the hair on her lady parts. We're getting down to the wire now!!
IMG_20191009_205619.jpg

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's just after midnight here. I just got home from work, and Karen was waiting for me at the door. She's quite restless tonight. I'm going to camp out next to her overnight, and reassure her. She's bigger than any other pregnant cat I've come in contact with....sure hope there's not 10 in there!!!!

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She finally settled down around 3am. She's sleeping a lot this morning. Hasn't touched her dry food, but ate a few treats for me. She's been with us for 44 days, and was pinking up when we got her....so she's gotta be between 58 and 65 days pregnant now.

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a question I need a quick answer to. Karen's vulva is much more open, I see pink...and there is watery fluid trickling out slowly. I am supposed to leave for a 10 hr shift in a few minutes. Should I cancel work and stay home? Is active labor imminent?
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 StefanZ StefanZ

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its building up yes... difficult to give advices, depends on also if you ARE able to just cut of work... The safe course is to stay with her.

But with a little luck she will manage herself. She may even delay the delivery waiting on you.

I have a question I need a quick answer to. Karen's vulva is much more open, I see pink...and there is watery fluid trickling out slowly. I am supposed to leave for a 10 hr shift in a few minutes. Should I cancel work and stay home? Is active labor imminent?
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 StefanZ StefanZ

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I drive an hour each way to work. And noone will be able to check on her for 6 hours.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m sorry I did not see this earlier today. She is very close, but I recall this stage lasting a couple of days with my cat.

Are you seeing contractions yet? They will look like ripples in her sides.

amynurse amynurse

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have seen some Braxton Hicks contractions, but none of the ones you are referring to. Karen has been sleeping hard all day. She licks her lips often....guessing that is a sign of nausea?