Meet Karen ♥️

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Spaying is recommended at 8 weeks. Kittens need to stay with her at least 12 weeks. She can still nurse them after spaying.

Just mix a sprinkle of the dried milk powder into her wet food. She should be fine! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just mix a sprinkle of the dried milk powder into her wet food. She should be fine! :)
See, I've been giving her liquid KMR...I will buy powder and add it to her wet food. Karen LOVES her wet food ♥
Thank you!!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most cats will drink the KMR and love it, but when they won’t, I always recommend mixing powder into the wet food they love. Same benefit derived and kitty usually doesn’t even notice! :)

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there any way to share videos on here? I took video of the kittens playing tonight, and wanted to share ♥

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, upload your video to YouTube first, then share the link here. Your son can show you how if you’ve never done it before. :)

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens are 24 days old, and running EVERYWHERE!! Poor Karen has a hard time getting them to settle down for a nursing session nowadays, lol! Tonight, I decided to feed her her wet food in her nesting area...just to see if any kittens were at all curious about food yet. As predicted, Chonky girl jumped right in immediately! The rest of them preferred stepping all in it instead, lol!
Karen is very picky about her wet food, so instead of KMR, I bought vitamins with 50mg of calcium per serving. Does that sound like enough calcium? Here's a pic of the vitamins. She LOVES them, btw!
Screenshot_20191114-224311.png

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Fantastic on the vitamins!

The littles will be more interested in wet food at 5-6 weeks. :)

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a new situation, and need advice.
Ever since Karen's arrival, I have kept my resident cat, Penny, in my bedroom with the door closed. It is her favorite room, and when I tried to swap her and Karen before the kittens were born, Penny got stressed...she didn't want to leave my room. Her safe space is under my bed. Well, tonight Karen snuck in behind me and Penny actually accepted her...ate her food while Karen was 8 or so inches from her.
Karen was THRILLED! And almost immediately started trying to bring her kittens in my bedroom!!!! But Penny hasn't been introduced to the kittens....so she started hissing.
I took the kitten back to the nest. Karen is now upset ☹
Y'all, will Karen forget about trying to move the kittens...or do I have a situation on my hands?
What should I do???
Sarthur2 Sarthur2

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor Penny! She thought she was just dealing with Karen, and here come kittens.

You need to take Penny to meet the kittens so she knows they are in the house. She’s going to be jealous and probably hiss at these interlopers, but she will be curious eventually.

In a couple days leave your bedroom door cracked and see if Penny goes out to explore the kittens.

I know Karen is ready to bring her kittens into your room for socialization. That’s what my cat did around 3-4 weeks and I then had tiny kittens climbing up my bed and sleeping with me.

Or you can let Karen bring the kittens in and Penny will either hide or leave the room. She will probably get over hissing at the kittens fairly quickly.

Unless you maintain the current status quo, Penny is going to feel put out for awhile no matter what. It’s inevitable.

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the quick reply! I will be off work for a week after Thursday, so I will be able then to transition the kittens into my room.

Oh, and the kittens have started using the litter box already!! Smart little babies:)

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thought I'd post a quick update. The kittens are 9 weeks old now, and boy are they adventurous!! Never a dull moment around here, lol! Karen is doing great as well. She still occasionally lets the kittens nurse, but usually only individually, and only for a few minutes. She has her spay appointment in two weeks. The kittens will get their first kitten visit and vaccs around the same time. We are probably going to keep both females, but that is still up for debate;)
Pics to follow!