meet Buggy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As i stated earlier, I'm convinced they are related, vet estimates around 1 year (?) apart. Just too coincidental they appeared here within a 6 month window. Not at all "random" strays, though I can't prove.

Out of our total 5 housecats...these 2 bonded instantly and closely. Father/daughter? Other common lineage? Can only guess (based on common sense and circumstances) Unfortunately we'll never know with certainty, and I'll always wonder.

Each arrived wandering/starving in a state of major distress and desperate need....THAT will never be repeated.

Allowing picking up, petting etc etc...I think they convey their appreciation, though they still like to keep their distance from us humans....some feral tendencies they picked up?

Nonetheless..welcome to Kitty Club Med, Bug and Princess!

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The kitties soon to have a "new" room mate this winter. My (new to me) '07 Ducati SS800 Supersport coming indoors. I'll be splitting up "guard duty" (they love to hide behind or under the bike, at the ready to strike potential thieves)

I hope y'all don't mind a pic : )

ss800817.JPG

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't remember, do you have other cats? Or are Bug and Princess the only 2 members of Kitty Club Med.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I thought you had others, but Bug and Princess, of course, are the stars of this thread. And, yes, there must be some connection between them to have had such an instant bond.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
princess.JPG
bugoct16.JPG

a tiny Princess in top photo, a skinny Bug in the bottom, both clearly malnourished

Bug and Princess wandered here 6 months apart as feral? semi-feral? Living here 30 years no other strays prior or since..... remarkable 2 stray black cats within a 6 month window...*right here* to woods behind my house....hence my belief they are related...and Princess somehow "tracked" Bug here ??? Is following scent even possible 6 months later?

Last edited:

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@ads3j

Princess (the kitty formerly known as Laya) , here around 12 weeks(?) is still a bit unsure, though now freely exploring, she'll run away when encountered, thinking she's done something wrong....evidence of prior abuse? .

maybe but not necessarily. my maine coon andromeda I've had since she was a few months old. i visited the cattery she was from. lots of kids and cats but no signs of any mistreatment. I can guarantee we've never mistreated her. but she still thinks I'm going to hit her with a broom or use my slipper to pound her with. she's just recently started in on anti anxiety meds and it's done a world of good for her. I think sometimes it is signs something bad happened but then sometimes anxiety is just anxiety.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I read this whole thread in it's entirety and finished last night. It's quiet a story and very relatable! I raised one cat from three months old that I believe was just dropped off and wound up staying under my house that I was renting at the time. She showed up during an ice storm with an injured hind leg. She was solid black also and had some of the same issues that Bug did. She turned out ok and lived to be somewhere around 14 to 15. Not sure exactly the timeline she showed up.

Now I have a rescue I've been working with since about Mid to late March. He come along in leaps and bounds. I haven't really had any steps back, it's been a constant slow progression. One thing I have noticed though is how it seems progression slows to a halt and then it's like one day something clicks in their mind and they break through a barrier like a aha moment for them. You seemed to have that same experience.

Anyway, without dragging this out which would be easy to do. Just wanted to say GREAT JOB with the cats! It's awesome what you've done and continue to do. You should be proud and the contest was just icing on the cake and well deserved. You know this story could be a Walt Disney movie like Lassie or Ole Yeller! Not sure how it would go over in this day and age but, it's a great story all the same!

One thing I did pick up in the post is that you seemed to think that your other cat was "showing bug the ropes " and also Bug was showing Laya the ropes. Right now I just have my rescue Manny but I intend on getting him a buddy in the near future. I've held off so I can concentrate on training Manny. I have wondered though if bring a 2nd cat in may actually help in some ways. Kinda like Monkey see monkey do sort of thing. Was wondering what your thoughts are on that. It could go either way I guess just depending on the situation.

I had 2 cats and lost one in Nov. 2016 ( The black cat ) and one in Feb 2017. The one I lost in Feb. was full blooded Maine Coon I raised as a kitten and he was just phenomenal. He was almost 16. My plans are to get another Maine Coon from a breeder. 2 cats are about all I can handle at this time. Manny's a great cat and very loving but a bit shy. I just wonder if bringing in a kitten that has no fear would help Manny open up.

Anyway, again great job! I'm sure I'll see you around the site!

this is way old now but can also attest to cats teaching each other. It happens regularly around here. for good and bad. our last rescue (a lynx point from behind a store) was extremely well mannered. would not get on counters or anything. our cats were like up here.. look great view. they don't mind much. lol. we were hoping that he'd teach our cats good manners but I'm afraid they taught him some bad ones. lol. they have different playstyles and you can see them schooling each other on various things. my siberian is an ambush hunter. none of the other cats were super up on that. tibbs practices all the time. slowly I've been seeing the other two use his sweet sweet techniques. copy cats is a thing. cats are DEFINITELY social critters.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As i stated earlier, I'm convinced they are related, vet estimates around 1 year (?) apart. Just too coincidental they appeared here within a 6 month window. Not at all "random" strays, though I can't prove.

Out of our total 5 housecats...these 2 bonded instantly and closely. Father/daughter? Other common lineage? Can only guess (based on common sense and circumstances) Unfortunately we'll never know with certainty, and I'll always wonder.
actually I think you can know with certainty.. dna tests. basepaws.com pretty sure familial would be in there. you could write them and find out if that's something the test includes.