Mackerel's taken a turn for the worse. :(

riffxraff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i think the name of this thread needs to be changed to "YAY!!! Mackerel has taken a turn for the better!!"
so happy shes feeling much better still!

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am reading this with tears in my eyes!
I hope that your precious girl gets the right treatment and gets better!
Sending you lots of good vibes!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys.

The visit to the vet really calmed me down. -deep breaths- lol. She says the fact that one of Mackerel's kidneys is more swollen than the other is to be expected - it's compensating for the fact that the other isn't working properly, so it's inflamed. Not a good thing, I know, but the fact that it was expected makes me feel so much better.

She says that Mack's put on weight since she last saw her and that she looks much better, also that her URI has cleared and her heart sounds better. So really, it's all very very good news!

We didn't do a bloodtest today, but we'll do one next Friday to check up on her. I've decided that my fears about her being weaker yesterday might be true, but also she's improved a Hell of a lot since last week, and she's actually doing very well today... so on balance, nothing to worry about.

The vet gave me a pilling plunger to use to give her her tablets. I'll try that, but I'll also give the other stuff that people have suggested to me.

We'll be fine, I think.

aqua315

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good luck to you both! I went through a bad sickness with my dog in December and I know how frustrating it can be not knowing all the answers. My dog is much better now but still on the mend and far from his usual self. He has a very promising outlook though! (If only I didn't have such a hard time getting him to swallow his 3 pills and this stinky vitamin liquid!
) Mackerel sound like she's a fighter though and I'm sure she'll pull through just like my dog!

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, one of the things the vet said that I should do is to give her some raw meat. I picked up some lamb and gave some to her a little while ago and she LOVED IT. Haha. But she wouldn't eat it unless I gave her the little pieces of lamb, one by one by one by one. XD She wants to be hand fed today. I thought it was hilarious, so I snapped some photos and figured I would share. XD

This photo also shows how thin she is and where she was shaved for the IVs - both forearms and her neck.
But she HAS put on a little weight, and hopefully this will help. :-)

Telling me how much she enjoyed that tasty morsel of lamb, and how she'd love another piece. XD

Letting me know that, she's serious, she really really wants some more. Haha. Look at the intensity!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, what a treat for her! Yes, she is thin, poor dear, but her eyes are so nice and clear.

You are doing so good by her. There are so many who won't go those extra miles for their furkids.

Give Mackerel a nice hug from Farleyv!

continued prayers and vibes

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Farley. XD I gave her a hug and she wants to know if you have any more lamb??? Haha.

I just used it as a treat after giving her her meds- which went swimmingly well with a make shift cat bag in a massive swaddling towel and the pill syringe the vet gave me.
I'm also coating her tablets in butter now and it's going very well. Fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc etc.

What do you mean by her eyes being clear? I've heard it used as an expression, of course, but never seen a cat where the eyes weren't clear.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jalindal

What do you mean by her eyes being clear? I've heard it used as an expression, of course, but never seen a cat where the eyes weren't clear.
I think farleyv means that Mack's eyes are bright and full of life. In a very sick kitty, their eyes take on a dull quality-at least in my experience.

Poor Mack is very thin, isn't she? Love the pics, love the news; she will probably have her good and bad days, so don't be surprised if she seems a little listless some days. You are taking such good care of her; you two are lucky to have each other.

A gentle hug from me to Mack too, please.

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, Libby, she is VERY thin.
It's really striking when you stroke her- you can feel every bone in her body. Still she has put on a little weight, I think- I no longer feel like I'm hurting her by stroking her over her back because her spine is so sharp! But putting on weight is just about our number 1 concern right now- hence the lamb. :p Mackerel isn't complaining.

And thanks for the explanation.
Mack does definitely have bright eyes. XD Nice to have it confirmed that it's not in my head, though! Thanks for the reassurance, Libby.
I gave Mackerel the hug- she says, "What, STILL no lamb for Mackerel?" XD Haha.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww....it would break your heart seeing how thin and fragile she is, if we didn't know the whole story and how hard she's fought and you with her. I hope the bits of lamb help build her up. Way better for her than the ham you were giving her, and she obviously really loves it!

Glad the medicating is going better. I think I posted my method in your thread.

Mackerel

you

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey Otto, yeah- you posted your method in my thread.
I used a dab of butter... in the end it was half inadvertent, lol- I had it all over my fingers from coating the pill and all over her face, but I put a biggish little smear on her nose and I think that really contributed to how easy it was.
Well, easier. I think things will be easier as we perfect our own technique... At the moment the things that have worked really well are swaddling her, using the pill popper and coating (everything!) the pill in butter, as well as the dab of butter on the nose. And not being stressed about it, as per carolina's suggestion- I think today was the first day I really felt calm and in control and she probably picked up on that.
We shall prevail!

I'm only 21 and Mackerel's my first pet... or rather, the first pet I've had full and total responsibility for. Also the first pet that's ever been ill or near death at all... so this whole thing has been a bit scary. We're getting the hang of it, though, and Mackers and I are doing fairly well, I think. :p

It is really heartbreaking seeing how thin she is.
Even knowing why. Maybe especially knowing why. She's always been really thin- but I shall revel in making her FAT when she's feeling up to it. :p She'll be my little pudding! (Not really. XD)

I'm a little concerned about her having a really drastic change from her normal food to the lamb- I offer her both every hour or two hours or so, but of course she keeps going for the lamb.. and when I don't offer her the lamb she doesn't seem interested in her normal wet food. The vet said that I should just get whatever down her gullet that I can, though, and that although normally she'd advise a 10 day change for food, at the moment it really is a case of getting her to eat whatever she can. She's having a little bit of gas when she poos, though, so I think she might have a little bit of an upset tummy. (I think she's cringing that I'm airing her dirty litter like this. XD) The stool is pretty firm, though. It's very tricky. -sigh- And Otto- I'm so glad that you guys pointed out to me that ham isn't very good for her kidneys. I feel much better having found something that she likes just as much and that is GOOD for her too.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweetie, I didn't go back to read thru the whole thread so I'm wondering--is Mack on any special diet at the moment? I've been told my vets in the past that kitten food is an excellent source of calories for a sick kitty. Was also wondering about KMR; don't know if that's an option or not but it might be worth asking your vet about.

They do look just pitiful when they get so thin, don't they? But Mackerel appears to be a fighter, and you are obviously an excellent Meowmy. I wish your experience with "your" first kitty wasn't so stressful, but I guess that's what loving them is all about--the good and the bad.

Still sending loads of 'get well quick' for the lovely Mack.

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the vibes, Libby, and for regularly checking in to see how we're doing.
Really 'preciate it.

I wish that 'my' first pet hadn't been like this too, but you know what- I wouldn't swap Mackerel for any cat in the world,
kidney complaints or no! (I know that's not what you meant, don't worry. XD) She's the sweetest, kindest, most loyal, faithful, strongest, willfullest, beautiful, charming and loving cat that I've ever met and my heart melts whenever she comes to me for cuddles or I wake up to find her in bed with me or sitting at the threshold of my bedroom. XD I've always been really struck by how independent she is- I've only had dogs before, and though I love my Rusty and Beanie (basenjis), Beanie in particular is a total ****! Haha. She wags and jumps and loves to see anyone at all come through that door. When Mackerel displays affection, I know that it's because she really loves me.
Or because she wants something and she knows how to manipulate me. XD Haha. I know you know what I mean. XD

Ummmmm as for diet, she's on a cycle of the kitten food the vet recommended - Whiskas, and Hills A/D as well as up until today ham treats, and as of today as much lamb and beef mince and chicken breast as she'll eat. XD She also gets some milk every day (it doesn't upset her tummy) and some canned tuna once in a while. What is KMR?

Whew, once again I've delivered a Wall O Text. x.x So sorry about that, folks. My typing gets away from me and I can't seem to help but deliver an essay. :p

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't see the pics but am glad she is doing so well. I an slightly concerned that the raw food is stopping her eating normal cat food though as what she is eating isn't complete so i would be bothered that she isn't getting the correct nutrients. I am also a tad surprised that they have recommended it with her kidneys not working as well.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
KMR is kitten milk replacement; my 2 youngest girls loved it, even when they were really old enough they didn't need it.

I tend to agree with booktigger's assessment of Mack's diet at the moment. While it is important to get her body weight back up, she may become the dreaded "finicky eater". Have you thought about chopping up the lamb (or whatever her favorite of the day might be) and mixing with her regular food?

Don't worry about the "Wall O Text"
, we all love to talk about our kids.

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well she'll only be on the raw meat in any serious volume for a little while- plus tomorrow I'll probably switch back to just giving her her normal food... I'm not happy with her making such an abrupt change, even if it is by her own choosing. The next day I'll offer her a little bit of lamb or mince or something along with her food, and hopefully we can keep a good balance going.

I guess the numbers on her last blood scan for her kidneys meant that the vets think she can handle the raw meat.

All I know is that the vet says "jump" and I say "how high". XD

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOVE the reassuring vet visit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes - her eyes are sparkly and so full of life!

When Tuxie was so very ill with anemia, he was skin and bones - and appetite stimulants didn't work, steroids didn't help - and the vet said FEED HIM ANYTHING HE'LL EAT (I mean obviously within reason). For our little guy it was freshly boiled jumbo shrimp - let to cool a little, and we had to tear it into little pieces and hand feed it to him.
If she wants the lamb, let her eat it.
Right now, it's protein and fat, and that's what she needs. (The shrimp was a bummer because it has so little fat, but whatever - it got him back on track).

Oh sweetie, she is just such a darling little thing and you're such a wonderful meowmy!

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's a really good idea, Libby. XD I'll do that tomorrow. Hopefully with the lamb mixed in she'll eat both and solve the problem for me. :p