Mackerel's taken a turn for the worse. :(

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the sake of her gaining weight and getting her the proper food quantity, have you tried force-feeding/syringe feeding her? It is not that stressful... A/D is pretty palatable and she is not going to be getting meds - she will be getting yummy yummy food in her tummy.... That will help you control her calories so she gets what she really needs nutrient wise... She can then snack on the lamb and other things she likes... But IMHO, she needs firm nutrition now, and I would not leave it up to her appetite to eat... I would be force feeding her until she puts some considerable weight in. But that's just a suggestion....

PS: I know she is eating, so you might be able to force feed her just a couple of good meals, to make sure she is getting enough food.... This way she eats on her own, and with your help - a complimentary type of thing....

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can mix it with her food and she'll eat it, that's great. But honestly, having been through this with Tuxie, the last thing I'd be worried about right now is having her become a picky eater. But that's me. Tuxie didn't become a picky eater, and eventually went back to his normal food.

But he still loves shrimp above all else, and he throws such a fit for it and cries for it for a MONTH after we have it that we no longer eat it. I hope lamb isn't your favorite food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

When Tuxie was so very ill with anemia, he was skin and bones - and appetite stimulants didn't work, steroids didn't help - and the vet said FEED HIM ANYTHING HE'LL EAT (I mean obviously within reason). For our little guy it was freshly boiled jumbo shrimp - let to cool a little, and we had to tear it into little pieces and hand feed it to him.
If she wants the lamb, let her eat it.
Right now, it's protein and fat, and that's what she needs. (The shrimp was a bummer because it has so little fat, but whatever - it got him back on track).:
I'm really surprised that Tuxie was anemic- he looks like such a gorgeously sleek little thing now. <3 I hope Mackerel can get back to that kind of healthy glow, though the vet says that it might not be possible because of her kidneys.

It always makes me laugh to hear about kitten's special favourite foods - how on Earth did you know that Tuxie's favourite was freshly boiled jumbo shrimp? XD One of my friends swears blind that their cat loves overcooked pasta. Only overcooked pasta, though. They don't give it to him often, but they say the use him as a timer- if he's hanging around in the kitchen too much while they're boiling pasta they know that it's just about to go onto the over side of cooked. XD

I just went and offered Mack some more of her normal kitten food and she scarfed it.
She might have just been full the last time I tried without the lamb.

Libby - I'll see if I can get my hands on some KRM at the pet supply store I go to. Sounds like it's definitely worth a shot!

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@carolina - I was syringe feeding her for the couple of days after I went to the first vet and before she went to the vet hospital, and she didn't really like it... but obviously when she's not eating that's not up to her. XD Honestly, she's actually eating really really well.
She'll generally eat at least one packet of kitten food, plus maybe half an 80gm can of tuna, plus a handful of whatever treats I'm giving her that day. The day before yesterday I had to put two things of the kitten food out and she scarfed them both. Yesterday was not so good- she only ate maybe 3/4 of a packet of the kitten food plus a little tuna and some ham (which I'm no longer feeding her.) but then today she ate a whole packet of kitten food, 40gms of tuna, and probably... hard to accurately say because I didn't weigh it, but I'd guess about 50-100gms of raw lamb steak. She'll leave a little bit in the bottom of each bowl of food, but generally only... I dunno, 10-20gm worth?

Soo hard to generalize because I'm not keeping a detailed record, just a kind of smiley face diary about how she ate and how she seemed and that kind of thing.

Anyway, I showed the vet what I was feeding her and everything this morning and she was very happy- just made the suggestion about raw meat as well. XD

I don't know whether syringe feeding Mack is worth the stress that it causes her... especially given that it's 38*c here atm and the air conditioning is broken, so it's *really really* hot here and the vet told me to keep her calm and not stress her at all. Though I guess with her heart sounding better she's probably not at such a crucial stage.

Sorry if I'm rambling, guys. It's 3am here and I've had a couple of energy drinks. XD Not good for coherant thinking.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jalindal

I'm really surprised that Tuxie was anemic- he looks like such a gorgeously sleek little thing now. <3 I hope Mackerel can get back to that kind of healthy glow, though the vet says that it might not be possible because of her kidneys.

It always makes me laugh to hear about kitten's special favourite foods - how on Earth did you know that Tuxie's favourite was freshly boiled jumbo shrimp? XD
He became anemic in late 2003, but we didn't know what the problem was then (yet). Our first vet told us his eating litter didn't mean anything. (It is almost always a sign of anemia). He was diagnosed in 2004, and had a real roller coaster ride through 2005, when he FINALLY turned the corner after what can only be explained as a miracle. It was still up and down after that, but the "ups" were higher hematocrits, and the "downs" were hematocrits that weren't as low.

I updated my recent thread on him for you (didn't want to hijack your thread) with info, links, and pictures: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...=227190&page=6

As to how did we know his favorite food was boiled jumbo shrimp... easy! We fed him EVERYTHING we could think of. After trying all the cat food we could (and he would eat a little a/d if we smeared it on his mouth/nose), we then tried beef, chicken, turkey, lamb, salmon, &etc. What he ATE was the jumbo shrimp. Had to be the jumbos.

But he was so out of it, if he even walked to the food dish (which at that particular point was rare), he'd just stand there staring at it.

We didn't know about force feeding then. It didn't occur to us, and no one (not even the vet) suggested it. If things ever got that bad again, obviously we would. But it sure doesn't sound to me like you need to with Mack.

I do know that when things get to a certain point, you really don't need to worry about nutrition so much as keeping their systems going, and whatever you can get them to eat is what they should eat. And if they're eating on their own or with prompting - whatever the food - I wouldn't force feed in this circumstance, because of the stress. You can worry about the rest later.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I do know that when things get to a certain point, you really don't need to worry about nutrition so much as keeping their systems going, and whatever you can get them to eat is what they should eat. And if they're eating on their own or with prompting - whatever the food - I wouldn't force feed in this circumstance, because of the stress. You can worry about the rest later.
I didn't realize she was eating so well! That is AWESOME Way to go little Mack!!!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

I think farleyv means that Mack's eyes are bright and full of life. In a very sick kitty, their eyes take on a dull quality-at least in my experience.
Your Mackerel is very thin, believe me I know how much it hurts seeing your cat that thin. But I'm looking at her eyes in those pictures, her eyes are very full of life

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

I didn't realize she was eating so well! That is AWESOME Way to go little Mack!!!
She certainly is a fighter. XD And even better- she's a hungry fighter. Haha. Thanks.

I'm about to put some beef mince down for her- we'll see how that goes over. XD

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering: do you keep a bowl of dry kitten kibble out for Mack to snack on whenever the mood might hit her?

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did, but the vet told me not to, because they're dry and salty. So I have wet food out now 100%, just replace and freshen it every few hours.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Food is a tricky one here as she needs to gain weight but you don't want to put her kidneys under too much pressure. Kitten food is normally higher in protein which isn't good for their kidneys. I would be tempted to let her have a small amount of dry as long as she has plenty of water but preferably senior or renal.

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mmm. Booktigger, I'm treading carefully because I really don't want to offend you... but my vet is the one that has Mackerel's bloodwork and numbers and everything, and I'm sure that they wouldn't recommend a diet that is bad for Mack's health. Maybe the test shows that we can give her the kitten food they gave me because her kidneys can handle it or something.

I hope you understand that I'm going to keep feeding her what my vet tells me, and keeping food away from her that the vet says will harm her. They have more information than we can call on and I trust that they know what they're doing. They know exactly what's going on with Mackerel's health and what our priorities should be, (weight gain v. kidney food etc) and I just can't in good conscience go against what they've directly told me to do. You've said previously that you're concerned that they're telling me to give her raw meat as well as her normal food, and I appreciate your input, and of course everyone's advice and suggestions as well... I think doing research (part of which for me is drawing on the collective wisdom available on a site like this!) is a big part of being a modern, responsible pet owner... but my vet has to come first as my trusted source for things about Mackerel's health.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Booktiger might not have realized you're following the advice of your vet, which, of course, is exactly what you should be doing!

Keeping up the vibes for your girl! SO glad to hear her appetite is still up!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep it up, beautiful girl!

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Booktiger might not have realized you're following the advice of your vet, which, of course, is exactly what you should be doing!
It's so hard, isn't it! There are loads of conflicting bits of advice on the internet about what priorities should be and what's best for what and ahh! -head explodes- Haha.

I just hope I didn't offend Booktigger - I really really really value everone's advice
and opinions and discussion about what is best or suggestions or whatever is very truely welcomed, but when my vet has told me something straight out I don't feel comfortable going against that advice. ^^"

I think Mackerel's getting sick of my fussing! Haha. I keep going to give her more food and encouraging her to eat and drink and grooming her and petting her and she seems to me that she'll be glad to have me off to uni again on Monday. XD

I took some more photos today that I think
show that she's put on some weight- want to see? XD

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OF COURSE! And with her hematocrit up from 8 to over 17, she really could be putting on a good amount of weight every day! I know you read it already, but when Tuxie hit that point, he was putting on 3 ounces a day.
You'd be able to see that on Mack!

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK, here's the picture I think shows that she's put on a bit of weight.
Two days since the lamb pictures.

And here's another photo I took that I love. XD

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I LOVE LOVE LOVE that 2nd picture!

It's a little hard to tell (for us) because in the first pictures she's sitting up - but I'd have to say it really does look like she's not as "boney" !!!!!!!

Mack, you're making us all so proud of you!

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll see if she'll consent to pose for a sitting photo tomorrow so we can do a proper comparison. XD

I really love that second picture tooo. XD I've got it on my thumb drive, I'm thinking I'll take it to have it printed and get a frame for it on Monday.
Maybe put it next to my bed, haha. A photo of sleepy Mackerel to watch over me. :p