Lymphoma

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My beloved 11 year old cat was recently diagnosed with lymphoma. He has been on a small amount of steroids every other day for years because of asthma and has done fantastically with it (although it may have masked the lymphoma symptoms for awhile). The vet drastically increased his steroid dosage and ordered some oral chemotherapy medicine. I was doing the increased steroids for about two weeks before the chemo came in and he seemed to be doing pretty well. He was lethargic but was eating well. I did the first chemo dose on Sunday morning and things fell apart. He seems miserable. He has barely eaten anything since Sunday morning. He will come out and act excited about breakfast but then just takes a couple of bites and stops. Throughout the day, I can get him to eat a few treats but that is it. I told the vet I would not do anymore chemo. I am taking him into the vet today for a check-up but I am struggling with how much more I should do for him. Am I making him miserable? He is basically currently starving himself to death. Even if I can get him to eat again, he probably only has a few more months because of the lymphoma. This is very hard. He is my soul kitty. Does anyone have experience with cat lymphoma that can offer some insight?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet gave me some appetite stimulant and gave him some fluids. He didn't eat anything this morning but I think the ketamine they gave him at the vet's was still wearing off. I gave him his first dose of appetite stimulant so hopefully by dinner he will be wanting to eat. He used the litter box and his poop was normal, not diarrhea so I think the steroids are impacting the lymphoma ever without the chemo. The vet said most cats tolerate the chlorambucil fine but he does not appear to be one of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had to put my cat down. When I came home from work he was breathing really hard like he was having an asthma attack and was having trouble walking. I don't know if it was an allergic reaction to the appetite stimulant or what but I wasn't putting him through any more.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
On behalf of the site Team, we are very sorry for your loss. :hugs: Threads are closed after such a loss as a sign of respect. When you feel up to it please consider starting a tribute thread in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Rest in peace, little one. :rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.