Looking for info on supplments for cat with severe food allergies.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Looks like he can also eat Pork, Turkey, Beef and Duck as a backup. How interesting that he isn't allergic to wheat. When cats have digestive issues,that's usually the first thing we look at..

Stella and Chewy Duck, Duck, Goose freeze dried look pretty good with the exception that it has Dandelion in it, but it's fairly far down in the ingredient list, so I'm thinking the amount might be small enough it might be ok, in a pinch.

Also, you might ask your Vet about that milk allergy. There are two proteins in milk, and whey is the lesser protein (which is in some of the premixes you could use, like TC Feline). It's possible your little guy is only allergic to the Cassein in milk. Most adult cats have issues with milk, BTW, but not to whey.

As far as how much of everything to put in his meals, here is something from catcentric.org:

Home-prepared Raw Food

Ground and prey model home-prepared diets are based on a general guideline used by raw dog feeders for decades and slightly modified for the cats smaller prey: the 83 / 7 / 5 / 5 rule; that’s roughly 83% meat, fat, skin, sinew, connective tissue and heart, 7% edible bone, 5% liver, and 5% other secreting organ (kidney, thymus, pancreas, etc.).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LostPeopleOfEarth158

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband likes tea so we have just boxes of the stuff. We don't have an herb garden or grow our own. And he might have contact dermatitis. I don't know specifically which things he will react to by just touching. I'm assuming things he doesn't eat he can't touch. I know eggs and milk make him throw up. I did try the tea thing earlier. He wasn't pleased about getting wet. He does seem to have stopped scratching for the day though. So chamomile seems to be alright. Thanks for the tip.

LostPeopleOfEarth158

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looks like he can also eat Pork, Turkey, Beef and Duck as a backup. How interesting that he isn't allergic to wheat. When cats have digestive issues,that's usually the first thing we look at..

Stella and Chewy Duck, Duck, Goose freeze dried look pretty good with the exception that it has Dandelion in it, but it's fairly far down in the ingredient list, so I'm thinking the amount might be small enough it might be ok, in a pinch.

Also, you might ask your Vet about that milk allergy. There are two proteins in milk, and whey is the lesser protein (which is in some of the premixes you could use, like TC Feline). It's possible your little guy is only allergic to the Cassein in milk. Most adult cats have issues with milk, BTW, but not to whey.

As far as how much of everything to put in his meals, here is something from catcentric.org:

Home-prepared Raw Food

Ground and prey model home-prepared diets are based on a general guideline used by raw dog feeders for decades and slightly modified for the cats smaller prey: the 83 / 7 / 5 / 5 rule; that’s roughly 83% meat, fat, skin, sinew, connective tissue and heart, 7% edible bone, 5% liver, and 5% other secreting organ (kidney, thymus, pancreas, etc.).
I have looked at freeze dried foods. Unfortunately they're very expensive where I am. They're not much better online. I do have some chicken Pure Bites he can have as a treat. We thought it was weird to he wasn't allergic to wheat. That could also be because in the year we were waiting to get his tests done we avoided all foods that had it in it. The vet suggested he might be allergic to chicken and to avoid it. So we put him on a high quality seafood kibble then a canned seafood diet. Knowing what I do know I feel bad about it. Once the tests came back he immediately got put on a raw chicken diet. We weren't expecting it to be that bad. The reason we only have him on chicken is because the other things just barely testes below positive. When we went in for the consultation it was recommended he have chicken. The other things can be a treat now and then.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

LostPeopleOfEarth158

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He was on fish for a year. Tuna, salmon, white fish etc. He looked awful. We also have put thought into what we'll do if he starts reacting to chicken. At that point we'll put him on a stronger medicine and just play keep up. Special baths and sweaters so he can't chew so much. At that point our priority will be peace and comfort for as long as his health lasts. If he can't have chicken anymore we can get another test done if we can. There would have to be some obscure food out there he could have.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi - if I were you I would follow an established recipe to ensure that you are giving the right amount of nutrients in your homemade batches. I have a recipe posted that uses eggshell powder as a calcium source here: Post Your Recipes! (with Pics!)
The recipe uses turkey, but you can just replace turkey with chicken using the same amounts.

If you don't have hearts available you can just increase the amount of taurine in the recipe to 4g. You could even do 5g to be safe. Extra taurine will just be peed out. Also, the weight of the hearts and gizzards when not available can be replaced by some other muscle meat such as thighs or breasts.

The recipe above also has an iodine source (iodized lite morton salt). This is very important to include!

You can't replace the eggshell powder in the above recipe directly with a different calcium source (such as calcium carbonate powder) because the recipe is formulated to account for an adequate phosphorous to calcium ratio. You need to be really careful to ensure that you are keeping a balanced ratio when adding calcium. If you want to use a different calcium source besides eggshell then I suggest you do some researching/reading. This is a good place to start: StackPath

If you scroll down to the bottom of that link it explains how to use different calcium sources in a recipe. I find eggshell powder to be the easiest to use and I'm able to find jars of it at my local raw pet food stores, but it's also easy to make your own (there are lots of tutorials on youtube).

Sorry - just noticed your cat can't have egg yolk. You can still use the above recipe but instead replace egg yolks with more vitamin B complex (I think!). I would do 2 capsules of the vitamin B-50 complex. mschauer mschauer can you please confirm if this is correct?

Last edited:

LostPeopleOfEarth158

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi - if I were you I would follow an established recipe to ensure that you are giving the right amount of nutrients in your homemade batches. I have a recipe posted that uses eggshell powder as a calcium source here: Post Your Recipes! (with Pics!)
The recipe uses turkey, but you can just replace turkey with chicken using the same amounts.

If you don't have hearts available you can just increase the amount of taurine in the recipe to 4g. You could even do 5g to be safe. Extra taurine will just be peed out. Also, the weight of the hearts and gizzards when not available can be replaced by some other muscle meat such as thighs or breasts.

The recipe above also has an iodine source (iodized lite morton salt). This is very important to include!

You can't replace the eggshell powder in the above recipe directly with a different calcium source (such as calcium carbonate powder) because the recipe is formulated to account for an adequate phosphorous to calcium ratio. You need to be really careful to ensure that you are keeping a balanced ratio when adding calcium. If you want to use a different calcium source besides eggshell then I suggest you do some researching/reading. This is a good place to start: StackPath

If you scroll down to the bottom of that link it explains how to use different calcium sources in a recipe. I find eggshell powder to be the easiest to use and I'm able to find jars of it at my local raw pet food stores, but it's also easy to make your own (there are lots of tutorials on youtube).

Sorry - just noticed your cat can't have egg yolk. You can still use the above recipe but instead replace egg yolks with more vitamin B complex (I think!). I would do 2 capsules of the vitamin B-50 complex. mschauer mschauer can you please confirm if this is correct?
This recipe does look really good. Can I still leave the egg yolks out and swap the fish oil for vegetable or olive oil? I have a coffee grinder I can use for the egg shells. The hammer and rolling pin method doesn't get it very fine. He's been staging a protest. Thank you.

LostPeopleOfEarth158

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's still eating it. If he's hungry he will eat. I suppose this might be better actually. He doesn't tend to take his time eating. He was a stray once upon a time and old habits die hard. This seems to slow him down so it's not all bad.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
This recipe does look really good. Can I still leave the egg yolks out and swap the fish oil for vegetable or olive oil? I have a coffee grinder I can use for the egg shells. The hammer and rolling pin method doesn't get it very fine. He's been staging a protest. Thank you.
I'm not sure about vegetable or olive oil. I've never heard of these oils being used in homemade cat food and honestly am not sure about the level of safety. I think you'll have to do a bit more research into it.

LostPeopleOfEarth158

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about vegetable or olive oil. I've never heard of these oils being used in homemade cat food and honestly am not sure about the level of safety. I think you'll have to do a bit more research into it.
I'm pretty sure the oils are responsible for that shiny healthy coat. Same for eggs. On top of both things being healthy in other ways. Just with his egg and fish allergies I don't know if he can have fish oil. If he needs the omega 3s I can find other sources. I'll try finding out if a cat with fish allergies can still have the oils. After all he might just be allergic to the meat.

LostPeopleOfEarth158

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When he gets back to normal, number 13 has some tips for gulpers:)
18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members – Cat Articles
I feed him on a small dinner plate which does spread out hos food. I like the egg tray idea though. I'll see what I can find. We also have a few small tea cups like you would get at a Chinese restaurant I could put in the middle. His gulping used to make him throw up a lot. It's why we worked away from kibble or softened it first.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have read that allergies to fish do NOT mean they cannot have fish oil. Also, did you see where Azazel did say you can replace egg yolks with extra Vit. B? It was her very last paragraph in post #28, but she is asking for confirmation from another member to validate. That should be coming.

LostPeopleOfEarth158

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have read that allergies to fish do NOT mean they cannot have fish oil. Also, did you see where Azazel did say you can replace egg yolks with extra Vit. B? It was her very last paragraph in post #28, but she is asking for confirmation from another member to validate. That should be coming.
I didn't see that but it is good to know. I'm on mobile because the laptop died right after I made this account. I can ask the vet about the fish oil. I'd rather be safe than sorry though.

LostPeopleOfEarth158

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise