Post Your Recipes! (with Pics!)

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it might be nice to have an ongoing thread where members who make their own homemade raw can post the recipes they’re using. It would be a nice way to exchange recipes with different proteins and also a nice resource for people new to homemade. Also post some pics if you have them!

This is the recipe I’m using now (lots of credit goes to mschauer for helping me with this recipe). I’m only doing the one kind of protein but am interested in learning about other recipes from people using non-poultry meats.

1 cup water
47 oz boneless skinless turkey thighs
6 oz turkey gizzards
10.5 oz turkey hearts
6 oz turkey liver
4 egg yolks
13g eggshell powder
3g taurine
8.4g lite salt
4000mg fish oil
25mg B-50 vitamin
5mg chelated manganese
200IU Vitamin E

Here it is in all its glory. I don’t grind the gizzards and some of the thighs cause my cats like chewing the chunks.

B9A1184C-CACE-48CD-A8C1-0EC42EF66868.jpeg

And I got these really cute stackable baby freezer containers that I store it in. :)

208B2368-4994-4068-8FA7-2514AA261679.jpeg

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is what I made today - (modified Dr. P recipe!)

2lb Turkey Thigh
1lb Ground Chicken
FD Chicken liver
5000 – 10,000 mg fish oil (10 capsules)
Vitamin E – 400 IU (268 mg)
Vitamin B-complex 50 – 1 capsule
2,000 mg taurine (powdered)
1 tsp Morton Lite salt with iodine
Eggshell (1.x measuring spoon came with it)

Cut Turkey
upload_2019-9-14_20-14-9.png

Add Chicken and FD liver
upload_2019-9-14_20-14-40.png

Mix with supplements (notice lazy method - fish oil)
upload_2019-9-14_20-15-19.png

Voila!
upload_2019-9-14_20-15-47.png

YUM! (she is eating different batch, about to attack chicken heart)
upload_2019-9-14_20-17-13.png

We used to make Rabbit and Pork recipe, but one kitty started to puke so currently bird only (Chicken, Turkey and Duck).

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it might be nice to have an ongoing thread where members who make their own homemade raw can post the recipes they’re using. It would be a nice way to exchange recipes with different proteins and also a nice resource for people new to homemade. Also post some pics if you have them!

This is the recipe I’m using now (lots of credit goes to mschauer for helping me with this recipe). I’m only doing the one kind of protein but am interested in learning about other recipes from people using non-poultry meats.

1 cup water
6 oz turkey gizzards
10.5 oz turkey hearts
6 oz turkey liver
4 egg yolks
13g eggshell powder
3g taurine
8.4g lite salt
4000mg fish oil
25mg B-50 vitamin
5mg chelated manganese
200IU Vitamin E

Here it is in all its glory. I don’t grind the gizzards and some of the thighs cause my cats like chewing the chunks.

View attachment 299801

And I got these really cute stackable baby freezer containers that I store it in. :)

View attachment 299800

So chicken (or any protein, really) could be substituted, right? And still use the same measurements? Incidentally, this is an AWESOME idea for a thread. I'm saddened that more members haven't posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
So chicken (or any protein, really) could be substituted, right? And still use the same measurements? Incidentally, this is an AWESOME idea for a thread. I'm saddened that more members haven't posted.
Chicken can definitely be substituted because turkey and chicken have very similar nutrient profiles but I’m not sure about other proteins. I’d have to do a bit for research into it before I can confidently say that it can. mschauer mschauer might be able to say more. She’s the brains behind the ingredients list.

Thank you- me too! Hopefully bumping this thread back up will encourage more people to post.

2 cat house

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am new to the raw food diets for my 3 girls. But I really want to move them that way at some point. Just super concerned about getting the nutritional stuff right. I am so glad you all have started this thread ❤

2 cat house

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

1 cup water
6 oz turkey gizzards
10.5 oz turkey hearts
6 oz turkey liver
4 egg yolks
13g eggshell powder
3g taurine
8.4g lite salt
4000mg fish oil
25mg B-50 vitamin
5mg chelated manganese
200IU Vitamin E

View attachment 299801

View attachment 299800
Can you get the taurine and the manganese at the store. (Like Walmart)

Baya08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi ! This is an awesome thread and i’m so glad i found it because i have spent more than a week reading about homemade balanced raw diets and i’m still so confused about many things,mostly the supplements.
I intend starting by using small chunks of chicken breast,hearts,liver,egg yolks and eggshell powder,what i understood is that taurine and vitamin B aren’t toxic to cats so even if there is enough of them in the meat it won’t harm to use supplements because they will get rid of the excess in urine anyway..but what about vitman E? Isn’t it found in the egg yolks already? Wouldn’t it be toxic to add supplements and accidentally overdose? Same thing goes for manganese that’s also found in eggs.. i also don’t get why cats need fish oil? I don’t think it’s something they can find in their normal prey in the wild so how is it necessary for indoor cats? Sorry for asking so much but i probably read every availabe article and watched every video i found about this topic and it got pretty overwhelming and scary because the worst thing we can do is feed an unbalanced diet to our little fur balls..

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Can you use human grade fish oil capsules
Yes - I poke holes in omega-3 capsules and pour the fish oil into the batch.

Everything used in this recipe is human-grade.

KittyCuddler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have been using Pet Diet Designer to make AAFCO and NRC-compliant homemade cat food. It's great!

Unfortunately my recipes seem to be coming up short on a few things. Manganese is one of them.

So.....when looking on Amazon, iHerb, Vitacost, Lucky Vitamin....all those places, I have found TONS of different forms of manganese. Most have fillers I do not want, but that issue aside....holy smokes. So many different forms!!!

I'm flabbergasted at how many forms there are of manganese to choose from.

What form of manganese is ideal for cats, then...? I see the following forms in existence (in human-grade supplements of course):
- manganese bisglycinate chelate
- manganese glycinate chelate
- manganese citrate
- manganese aspartate
- manganese aspartate amino acid chelate
- manganese amino acid chelate
- manganese sulfate
- manganese asporotate
- manganese picolinate
- manganese sulfate monohydrate
- manganese methionine complex
- manganese chloride
- manganese gluconate
- ionic manganese

Any idea which form works best? :)

Please note: I understand that manganese needs to be "paired with" something for absorption (just like how magnesium does). So I get why there are so many forms. But....what is the "thing" it should be paired with for the best results (without causing adverse effects)...?

If someone has a brand they use already, and has never had any bad results with it when making their own at-home cat food, please let me know.

Thanks!

KittyCuddler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, does anyone here ever add vitamin K1, K2, or K7 to their homemade cat food recipes? If so, which brand do you choose, and why?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice! ❤

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I use chelated manganese (see my recipe above). Bluebonnet Nutrition, Chelated Manganese, 90 Vcaps

I believe that meat and organs have some amounts of Vitamin K in them. I have never come across a homemade raw recipe for cats that has added vitamin K. And raw egg yolk in the recipe above contains vitamin K too.

I don't know how pet diet designer works but there are lots of reputable and established recipes on the internet that are easy to follow. Check out feline-nutrition.org.

KittyCuddler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use chelated manganese (see my recipe above). Bluebonnet Nutrition, Chelated Manganese, 90 Vcaps

I believe that meat and organs have some amounts of Vitamin K in them. I have never come across a homemade raw recipe for cats that has added vitamin K. And raw egg yolk in the recipe above contains vitamin K too.

I don't know how pet diet designer works but there are lots of reputable and established recipes on the internet that are easy to follow. Check out feline-nutrition.org.
Thank you so much!

Have you had any "tolerance" issues to your recipes after adding the chelated manganese from Bluebonnet? Vomiting, constipation, diarrhea, food avoidance, etc....?

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much!

Have you had any "tolerance" issues to your recipes after adding the chelated manganese from Bluebonnet? Vomiting, constipation, diarrhea, food avoidance, etc....?
Nope, but I only use a very small amount - about 5mg (half a capsule) per ~4lbs of meat and organs.

MissTuna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much!

Hey, you can actually add mussels to your overall cat food. Add 4-5% of cooked mussels will help your diet meet the AAFCO or NRC guideline of manganese :)