Looking For Help / Ideas Re Catio.....??

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey all, apologies firstly if this is in the wrong place, wasn't sure where to post. D'oh! Second, apologies for the long post!!

Looking to put a catio in place so that my 9 month old indoor kits (2 girlies and a boy) can go in and out. I'm about 500 yds from a busy road so I'm afraid I really don't want them free roaming :/

However - and here's the problem!! - I live in a new built coach house which is effectively a detached stand alone first floor flat, pretty much. I'm really, really struggling with working out a way for them to get in and out by themselves as I want them to be able to choose to go out, or not.

There is a window which overlooks the garden /courtyard area but to reach it the catio would have to be pretty high and might annoy the neighbours as it would be considerably above the fence line (and presumably not massively stable).

Does anyone have any ideas? Or has anyone done something similar?

Happy to post pics of property if it might help :)

Any thoughts hugely appreciated :)

Thx x

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Would it be possible for them to have access from the window into a small area with enclosed steps down into a catio that is below fence level then the only visible part would be the small box and a couple of steps.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. There are literally tons of examples on the internet if you just do a search using the word 'catio'. The example below involves a window access, and perches from there down to the ground, additional steps could be added, and there are ones to buy that come that way also.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi :)

I have already looked at tons of sites and have seen lots of stunning pics. However 99.9% of them are all of catios tacked onto the ground floor of the house, which I do not have. My coach house is first floor with carports underneath. (see pic). There is a window at the top of the stairs looking out the back which might work...

None of the sites I have looked at have catios which are anywhere tall enough to reach the one window which might work. And I'm hesitant about the window coz I'd need to reglaze it etc etc... And then they'd need to have some sort of enclosed ladder...?

Attachments

Last edited:

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
:) you can see how high the windows are (same at the back). At that height I think a catio structure would may be not be hugely stable? and I could see the neighbours complaining....

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Would it be possible for them to have access from the window into a small area with enclosed steps down into a catio that is below fence level then the only visible part would be the small box and a couple of steps.
Hi, I'm starting to think this is possibly the only option. I figured though that if anyone else has a similar house / indoor cats and has a solution I would be likely to find them here :)

People on this site were amazingly supportive when I looked for advice on supporting my Bengal cats through different cancers a few years ago :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, you would have to build a walkway from the window that would enter into the top of catio, so it could be placed below fence level? Something like these examples of walkways??

The latter examples would have to enclosed of course, and the middle example could even have additional steps added as needed. All of these could enter into the top of a catio…

upload_2019-4-14_13-10-39.png

Last edited: