Litter solution needed - can only scoop once a week

ccccc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Here's the short version: I need to find a litter box solution that doesn't need to be scooped more than once a week. We have one cat, a big guy (more than 15 lbs) with arthritis. He's currently using a regular low box with clumping clay litter. He's very good about always using the box. He seems to produce a lot of waste, 2-3 big clumps a day and 1-2 good-sized poops.

Context: my elderly parents are having health issues and can no longer scoop their beloved cat's litter box daily. They're going to have an aide come in to help with household tasks on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so they need something that can go at least 5 days without being scooped, and preferably a full week. My mother is a very can-do person and will inevitably try to clean the cat's litter box if they don't have a good alternative even though she really shouldn't (she's undergoing chemo, and she shouldn't be bending down to scoop anyway). They're moving to assisted living in 5 months, but we need a solution at least until then.

The Litter Robot looks good, but yow, it's expensive!!! I don't think my parents will go for it, and I'm not sure the cat would go for an enclosed litter box. The Scoop Free looks ok, but also expensive when it comes to replacement trays, and it seems like it has some problems. The Littermaid gets mixed reviews, and the Cat Genie doesn't make sense to me. The Omega rolling one seems too small for their cat. I wish something like the Feline Pine or Breeze system would work, since they're so simple, but it seems like you'd still have to scoop the poop daily.

Any thoughts? Thank you!!

mewtantmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TheCatSite.

I am so sorry your parents are not doing well.

Your mother might do very well with daily litter box scooping if you get her a comfortable rolling stool (or low seat), the type used by many for gardening. (?)

Do they plan to take their kitty along with them when they move to the assisted living facility? 

Or will you be the cat's successor guardian? 

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can your parents bring the cat with them to assisted living?  If so, I'd suggest transitioning to Tidy Cat Breeze, and have either you or a neighbor visit often during the changeover.  Elevating the box will make it very easy to collect the poop.

This is not worth it if you are only looking for a solution for the next 5 months, and same for fancy gizmos that can fail or cause unexpected issues.   I would just use more boxes - 2 or 3 total should do it.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure this will work but these are a couple of Ideas I have.

Have you tried Precious cats litter?  It is a very good clumping litter. I get the blue box. You can get the bag, more economical, but I cannot live 40 lbs. It is very heavy litter. 

The box is 20 lbs. It is very good at clumping and stink control. I dump the litter and wash the box every 3 weeks or so...

I also have a Litter Genie which I empty once a week. That is for the used scoops of litter. It is similar to a Diaper Genie. 

As for the box for an elderly cat. You would not want one with high sides because of you cats age. You said he has arthritis so this could be good. You do not want him jumping into the box, or creating problems with pee...

I was thinking about getting one of those plastic containers which go under the bed. They are low enough and large enough to hold enough litter for a bit. You need to put a lot of litter in it though, to get you through the week. 

This does take up a lot of room, so hopefully your parents have the room for it.

The other option I thought of was to get a Rubbermaid storage box. I saw Rubbermaid, or something similar, without the ridges in the bottom. The ridges allow soiled litter to cling to it. 

You can cut down an opening in the front of it for your cat. You can use this as a litter box. Just make sure the edges are not sharp..

I think many people use this for their cats who are 'high' kickers....

If their cat produces as much waste as you have stated, you may need to have 2 litter boxes. I do not think one box will do it. You do not want to create a litter box avoidance because of a dirty box. In addition to the smell....

Wishing you and your parents the best of luck....

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have 2 boxes, good-sized, and use a decent litter. . .I like Tidy Cats Scoop black top (4-in-1? I think it's called). It should be OK as long as the aide scoops every time she comes.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Many, if not most HHA (home health aides) are told not to handle the litter box duties. They are there for the patient and not the pets. That does not mean that occasionally you will come across one who is a pet lover and will help out, but that is out of the norm. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
well thats too bad. I disagree with that-Not at you-at the statement from those companies==the pets are part of the patient. just like wiping down counters and washing dishes-I only hope more people who work in that field help out for the older folks as its for their benefit that the animal stays with them. They are alone anyways and then to worry about not having proper care for their animals? I understand what you are saying. I just don't agree with those companies who say that. This just makes me madder than heck. Most of those people didn't ask for health problems so now they have to deal with added stress. I only hope things work out.

So what about the people who have dogs-do they let it pee poop in the house? What does a person do when they are bed ridden and lost everything? this makes me sad.

There is a cat litter on Amazon that says no scooping for 30 days-you have to scoop the poop but the urine blobs break down after time. i tried it but its super dusty-the cats didn't care for it but its their back up cat box. you could be creative with finding some way to get a coffee table and step stool and have kitty walk up the stool into box=then the reaching down to scoop isnt as hard-of course having room to do this is another thing. 

Hoping that things work out for everyone's sake.

mewtantmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

So what about the people who have dogs-do they let it pee poop in the house? What does a person do when they are bed ridden and lost everything? this makes me sad.
"When you think that you've lost everything, you find out you can always lose a little more."  Bob Dylan said that.

Yes, Foxxycat, it is sad, and it would suck, and it would be an additional stressor, besides.  But I get the other side of it too.  Many of the Home Health Aides are expecting, and many are trying to conceive.  Many persons are allergic or otherwise very sensitive to cat saliva.  Cats' mouths have some of the meanest germs on Earth.  The Home Health Aides most likely have other immunocompromised patients to visit and assist.  Some animals are not so nicely disposed to strangers.  The range of household animals can go well beyond felines and canines.  There are plenty of sound reasons for the Home Health Aides not to do that type of work.

There are practical alternatives.  As example, many Vet Techs are glad to make daily visits to help about pets' ordinary needs.  Others who offer that type of help can be found in CraigsList for most any locale.  Then there is (what is for many) a very difficult solution: accepting help as it is offered.  When concerned others ask Is There Anything I Can Do -- say Yes.

I assure you, I am not heartless about these situations.  Since early February I have been in treatment for cancer.  I strongly encourage all of you to have the very best health care coverage you can possibly afford, and also to have successor guardianship/s lined up for your animals.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TheCatSite.

I am so sorry your parents are not doing well.

Your mother might do very well with daily litter box scooping if you get her a comfortable rolling stool (or low seat), the type used by many for gardening. (?)

Do they plan to take their kitty along with them when they move to the assisted living facility? 

Or will you be the cat's successor guardian? 
And a longer scoop.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well thats too bad. I disagree with that-Not at you-at the statement from those companies==the pets are part of the patient. just like wiping down counters and washing dishes-I only hope more people who work in that field help out for the older folks as its for their benefit that the animal stays with them. They are alone anyways and then to worry about not having proper care for their animals? I understand what you are saying. I just don't agree with those companies who say that. This just makes me madder than heck. Most of those people didn't ask for health problems so now they have to deal with added stress. I only hope things work out.

There is a cat litter on Amazon that says no scooping for 30 days-you have to scoop the poop but the urine blobs break down after time. i tried it but its super dusty-the cats didn't care for it but its their back up cat box. you could be creative with finding some way to get a coffee table and step stool and have kitty walk up the stool into box=then the reaching down to scoop isnt as hard-of course having room to do this is another thing. 

Hoping that things work out for everyone's sake.
I understand where you're coming from but it's still not the aides job to scoop. Some will hate cats. Some will feel sick scooping wee and poop. Some may do it for extra money but you can't expect them to do it. Besides they have plenty of other clients waiting. Imagine if all wanted them to scoop. I can't scoop any more because of my back but my ex does it every morning or what would I do?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Here's the short version: I need to find a litter box solution that doesn't need to be scooped more than once a week. We have one cat, a big guy (more than 15 lbs) with arthritis. He's currently using a regular low box with clumping clay litter. He's very good about always using the box. He seems to produce a lot of waste, 2-3 big clumps a day and 1-2 good-sized poops.

Context: my elderly parents are having health issues and can no longer scoop their beloved cat's litter box daily. They're going to have an aide come in to help with household tasks on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so they need something that can go at least 5 days without being scooped, and preferably a full week. My mother is a very can-do person and will inevitably try to clean the cat's litter box if they don't have a good alternative even though she really shouldn't (she's undergoing chemo, and she shouldn't be bending down to scoop anyway). They're moving to assisted living in 5 months, but we need a solution at least until then.

The Litter Robot looks good, but yow, it's expensive!!! I don't think my parents will go for it, and I'm not sure the cat would go for an enclosed litter box. The Scoop Free looks ok, but also expensive when it comes to replacement trays, and it seems like it has some problems. The Littermaid gets mixed reviews, and the Cat Genie doesn't make sense to me. The Omega rolling one seems too small for their cat. I wish something like the Feline Pine or Breeze system would work, since they're so simple, but it seems like you'd still have to scoop the poop daily.

Any thoughts? Thank you!!
You started of by saying 'we have' a cat! Do you live with or near your parents?,

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Many, if not most HHA (home health aides) are told not to handle the litter box duties. They are there for the patient and not the pets. That does not mean that occasionally you will come across one who is a pet lover and will help out, but that is out of the norm. 
Actually that's not true, at least not in my area.  I've been in home care since 2005 and have supervised CNA's in homes where the care plan includes scooping litter or walking dogs and picking up their poop for a number of patients.  It's very common here.  Even I have walked dogs and scooped litter in patient's homes and I'm an RN.  It depends on their needs and on the availability of family.  There is definitely a need in certain cases.  I wish the HHA could also come on Saturdays for your parents too.  That way there would only be 3 days worth to be scooped at a time.  I always use a step stool to sit on when I scoop litter.  I never bend over from the waist.  

Last edited:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand where you're coming from but it's still not the aides job to scoop. Some will hate cats. Some will feel sick scooping wee and poop. Some may do it for extra money but you can't expect them to do it. Besides they have plenty of other clients waiting. Imagine if all wanted them to scoop. I can't scoop any more because of my back but my ex does it every morning or what would I do?
If it's written out in the list of duties for the HHA, it can be done.  Usually before HHA's are sent out, they are asked if they have any animal preferences.  In a case like this, they would certainly ask the aid if they have a problem scooping litter before sending them to the home and expecting them to do that.  The agency would probably only send those willing to do it.  Scooping doesn't take much time especially for only one cat.  Lord, I have 7 boxes and even when they are full it only takes me 10 minutes at the most.  It's doable.  

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recall a patient who was paralyzed from the neck down and had no family - except 2 dogs.  They were her family.  Every nurse walked the dogs every 2 to 3 hours or else we picked up/cleaned up what they did in the house.  In another case, I took care of a little girl whose dog was getting old and often would not tell me when she needed to go.  So I walked her every 2 to 3 hours, or else I had to clean it up.  If I didn't the patient might step in it and make for a worse mess.  

Rest assured that most agencies do ask their staff if they have a problem with certain animals, if there are any in the home, before sending them out.  If someone hates cats, they would not be sent to a home with a cat.  Same with dogs.   All staff, nurses and CNA's alike have to fill out a  preference list, and one of the questions is about comfort level with pets in the home. 

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Ginny, that is great that you help your patients and that is the 'norm' where you live. I am only going on my own experience. I think it is great that HHA help out with the patient's animals...not go overboard, but help.

When I broke my arm, I needed home care. My broken upper arm was just sitting in a sling, not casted and no surgery. It had to heal spontaneously, unaided except for the sling. It was my dominant arm also.

I did have to specify that I had a cat. I volunteered that information because I did not want anyone who is allergic or ha issues with cats. I was specifically told that the HHA would not be helping me with the care of my cat. Not even to scoop the boxes. 

I did have a really nice HHA for a short time. She did not care. She helped me feed Artie, helping me to open the cans, and said she did not mind scooping the box. She also did a lot more for me than she should have. She said she always helps with patient's pets. 

I had another one who, while did not help with the cat, did do a lot more than she should have. She even took me for rides and shopping. 

I think the bottom line is, you never do know who or how much the HHA is willing to do. I guess if your treat them good, they will treat you good. Although, you do not want them to take advantage of you. I saw that happen with my dad's first HHA. We were inexperienced with the entire issue of home care. 

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I can think of is to call different agencies in the area that provide HHA's services and see if any of them would be willing to provide this service.  If that is not possible perhaps check with their vets office and see if any of the staff would be willing to help out and pay them separately on the side.  Some vet tech's do pet sitting and maybe one of them would be willing to help.

One of my friend's is very lucky they have a private HHA that is a friend.  He had personal experience caring for elderly people with dementia. He was unemployed and he now works for them full-time.  He gets a salary and lives for free in the mom's old condo.  He is not a certified HHA but he takes care of mom and does the litter box duties for the cats.  He does love cats too which really helps. They both work from home and are there in case anything does happen. They have never asked him to do this but he also spends time brushing some of their cats that are long-hairs when mom is taking a nap.

Last edited:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rules vary from one agency to another and also from one region to another I suppose.  I just wanted the OP to know it's possible that this service is available in his parents area, wherever that is.  

I know more than I ever wanted to know about home care.  I am a nurse of course so I administer care, but while my mom was still living I had to hire CNA's to take care of her while I worked.  So I know what it's like to be on the receiving end as well.  

We couldn't go through an agency full time because she couldn't afford it.  So I had to advertise, interview, hire, train, supervise/schedule most of (and unfortunately fire a few of) her caregivers.  It was hell.  Two cell phones were stolen, plus a pillow for mom's back, and a set of headphones, and that's just for a start.  God only knows what else I haven't discovered yet.  

One lady went nuts on me when I simply asked her to be sure to put the foot pedals on mom's wheelchair so she wouldn't fall out.  She cussed me out in my own home right in front of my mom!  And this lady had two good references!!!  Some people have very poor work ethic and do home care just so they can steal and take advantage of people.  It's disgusting.  

When I couldn't schedule the ones I'd hired I had to go through the agency.  I had better luck through them because the employees had to answer to them, but that wasn't always the case.  Just be careful and GET cameras to monitor your home! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ccccc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies!!
Good points about all the valid reasons aides might be hesitant to scoop, even though the cat is so important to my parents. The agency we are considering has said they'll try to find someone for us who is comfortable with cats. I'll also ask the volunteer group that does Meals on Wheels, and local vets if they know of anyone who'd be willing to come in and scoop.

I'm leaning towards getting them a couple of extra litter boxes and using a better litter. We're trying World's Best this week (my personal preference), but I'll look into Precious Cats if it doesn't work out for some reason. I would love to convince my parents to have someone come in on Sundays, but they're hesitant to spend the money, and they want to remain as independent as possible.

To answer a couple of the questions that have come up:

I am living with them right now, but I have to go back home to California at the end of June (they're on the east coast). They're planning to take the cat with them to assisted living in December. I'm the successor guardian if something doesn't work out. Should be interesting given that I have my own spoiled kitty!

The issue is not just bending but also my mom's immune system; she's at significantly higher risk of infections because of the chemo.

And best of luck with your treatment, Mewtant Mommy. I'm glad you have your kitties as you go through this.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do your parents have any friends or neighbors that have someone come in and walk their dogs while they are at work?  Years ago when I had a trip planned I lost my cat-sitter unexpectedly due to a divorce and a job change. I had no idea what to do but noticed there were a lot of people walking dogs around my neighborhood. I started talking to them and asked if they had someone come and check on their dog while they were at work.  Some of them also had cats and gave me information to get into contact with the people they used. I was just getting ready to interview people when another friend broke up with her boyfriend and wanted to move out of his apartment but had no idea where to go.  I told her what was going on and she moved into my place to take care of my cats while I was out of town.  She did not have any pets at the time and my cats already knew her.  While she was at my place she discovered another mutual friend of our's was looking for a room mate.  They found an apartment and moved in after I got home.  

Last edited:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's another thought.  If your mom can  scoop, but is worried about germs, she could wear a mask.  

Whether she scoops or not, she should wear a mask right around the time the litter is scooped because the act of scooping sends bits of dust flying into the air.  You can buy masks at any pharmacy and you could ask if the agency can send you a few to tide you over until you can get your own.  I wouldn't wear the same mask longer than one day.