TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_8759.jpg
IMG_8757.jpg
IMG_8755.jpg
IMG_8760.jpg
IMG_8754.jpg
The litter box we have now is your standard cheap litter box that does have a lid. This is the first litter box we ever got our cat and he hasn't had any problems with it, so we've continued using it. This litter box was in my room for a while until I started spazzing up my room, trying to make it look (and smell) nice, so I moved it into the living room. We will be moving in a few months (in September) and I want my cat to have all of his essentials in my room and bathroom so he has a safe place until he gets used to the rest of the space. So I wanted to get a modern litter box to go in my bathroom that would look nice. The litter box I'm interested in is the Pidan igloo litter box (as you'll see in the photos). All aspects of it please me, but the only thing that worries me about it is the size. The last time my cat was weighed was just a couple weeks ago (June 3) and he was 10 pounds. I want to make sure he would be able to enter and exit comfortably. Although, it is recommended for cats under 17-15 pound the opening still looks a bit small. In 1 or 2 of the photos I included you'll see the size of the interior of the litter box. But as you'll see in one photo a review saying their 13 pound cat uses it with no problem. There are a couple other reviews saying similar things. I'm just looking for other opinions or reccommendations.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi Gizmom Gizmom , this litter box looks too small even for your 10 lb cat. There's not much space to move and turn around. It's a dead end in there and looks like a trap.

Cat's need space to dig the litter and cover their pee and poo. I don't see much free space in there. And it's so covered up, I think the odor will be trapped inside and your kitty will not use it.

Get a litter box as big as you can and some cats don't like covered up litter boxes.

Either you get a bigger one or DIY. There are some suggestions here :-

I Need A Large Litter Box With Low Sides For My Senior Cat.
Litter Box (so Many Choices!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gizmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Gizmom Gizmom , this litter box looks too small even for your 10 lb cat. There's not much space to move and turn around. It's a dead end in there and looks like a trap.

Cat's need space to dig the litter and cover their pee and poo. I don't see much free space in there. And it's so covered up, I think the odor will be trapped inside and your kitty will not use it.

Get a litter box as big as you can and some cats don't like covered up litter boxes.

Either you get a bigger one or DIY. There are some suggestions here :-

I Need A Large Litter Box With Low Sides For My Senior Cat.
Litter Box (so Many Choices!)
Thanks, I'll be on the lookout for a bigger one.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks small to me too. It's hard to say from just pictures I guess. My 2 wouldn't be happy though. We had a Littermaid box for years; then another that only lasted 2 years. After that we went back to deep regular boxes I got at Walmart. My girls are on the larger size for cats length wise. Mooch is width wise also. So for us; it's got to be a decent size box and no lid so they don't feel cornered in there.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just going to mention what happened with us. Mercy our smallest at 7 1/2 lbs was forever having a butt bugger which drives us crazy too because she's very very fluffy. Watching her one day I realized why and where it was happening. She was using the babies litter box and literally sitting on her tail when she went poo. We removed those smaller boxes. As she turned around her tail would end up under her and then plop and then there was running and screaming and mayhem as she tried to shake it off and we tried to get it off. Went to bigger boxes and no problems since.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say that a litter box should be at least as long as the cat and half-again as much.

Like others say, the cat should be able to go in, turn around and walk out without having to scrunch.

It never hurts to have the box be a bit bigger, just for good measure. Better a bit too big than too small.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It looks way small. A friend had huge cats and bought big tubs from home depot. I have a litter robot. My cat loves it. It's enclosed and if you leave it on it filters all day. One note it isn't small or cheap. I had an igloo type litter box and it was a nightmare.

I love the litter robot but if you have multiple animals getting multiple ones it's expensive. You can easily get a tub. Like this is you had a huge cat. home depot bins - Google Search

Regular litter boxes with sifting liners works too. If you need hooded this is nice. You could use sifting liners. I would remove the front flap. Catit Large Style Hooded Cat Pan

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Mouse is a slightly tubby, long legged long tailed cat of around 15 lb and still fits very nicely in his (no longer available) PetMate Booda Roundabout. A friend's large Ragdoll cat fits in the same Booda Roundabout well too - actually prefers it to his other, larger rectangular boxes. There's something about the round design with dome lid which seems to suit the way a cat holds itself and moves in a tray which results in not needing to be as large over all. That said, looking at the interior design features added to this Pidan Igloo , with the little screen and hatched section to reduce tracking, I think they would get in the way and do nothing for the cat. Both cats I know using the round style love to dig and turn and dig and turn and then always end up with their little heads sticking out the entrance breathing in the fresh air and all ready to leap away super fast once they have finished their business.

The closest thing available to the Booda Roundabout that I have found on the market at the moment is the Booda Dome available from Amazon and Zooplus, but it is slightly lower in the dome and the tray is not so deep as the Roundabout. The other tray I have here and which is preferred even to the Roundabout is Booda's open tray: OK, so it doesn't look as sleek as that Igloo, or as neat as the Roundabout / covered Booda trays but it is great for deep litter and lots of kicking and digging about with its super high back, and is really easy to top up and clean.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Mouse is a slightly tubby, long legged long tailed cat of around 15 lb and still fits very nicely in his (no longer available) PetMate Booda Roundabout. A friend's large Ragdoll cat fits in the same Booda Roundabout well too - actually prefers it to his other, larger rectangular boxes. There's something about the round design with dome lid which seems to suit the way a cat holds itself and moves in a tray which results in not needing to be as large over all. That said, looking at the interior design features added to this Pidan Igloo , with the little screen and hatched section to reduce tracking, I think they would get in the way and do nothing for the cat. Both cats I know using the round style love to dig and turn and dig and turn and then always end up with their little heads sticking out the entrance breathing in the fresh air and all ready to leap away super fast once they have finished their business.

In the end it's what works for the individual cat. 7 1/2 lb Mercy needs a big litter box the rest of the cats use the uncovered trays and the covered boxes at their discretion.

The closest thing available to the Booda Roundabout that I have found on the market at the moment is the Booda Dome available from Amazon and Zooplus, but it is slightly lower in the dome and the tray is not so deep as the Roundabout. The other tray I have here and which is preferred even to the Roundabout is Booda's open tray: OK, so it doesn't look as sleek as that Igloo, or as neat as the Roundabout / covered Booda trays but it is great for deep litter and lots of kicking and digging about with its super high back, and is really easy to top up and clean.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Stick a pillow in it and call it a cat canopy bed.

Everyone's right, cats need some serious space. I've got the biggest box I can find and it's still not big enough.

Someone posted a picture of a homemade cover for a litter box, it looked like a long cabinet and had partial walls on one side in such a way that you couldn't see inside. It was awesome, though I would recommend doing both sides like that, so there's always an escape in the cat's mind.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 185464 View attachment 185463 View attachment 185462 View attachment 185460 View attachment 185461 The litter box we have now is your standard cheap litter box that does have a lid. This is the first litter box we ever got our cat and he hasn't had any problems with it, so we've continued using it. This litter box was in my room for a while until I started spazzing up my room, trying to make it look (and smell) nice, so I moved it into the living room. We will be moving in a few months (in September) and I want my cat to have all of his essentials in my room and bathroom so he has a safe place until he gets used to the rest of the space. So I wanted to get a modern litter box to go in my bathroom that would look nice. The litter box I'm interested in is the Pidan igloo litter box (as you'll see in the photos). All aspects of it please me, but the only thing that worries me about it is the size. The last time my cat was weighed was just a couple weeks ago (June 3) and he was 10 pounds. I want to make sure he would be able to enter and exit comfortably. Although, it is recommended for cats under 17-15 pound the opening still looks a bit small. In 1 or 2 of the photos I included you'll see the size of the interior of the litter box. But as you'll see in one photo a review saying their 13 pound cat uses it with no problem. There are a couple other reviews saying similar things. I'm just looking for other opinions or reccommendations.
I agree with most of the other posters: from the photos, this looks like a small box with fairly sizeable cats modeling it. I bought two very large, high-sided boxes with "doorways" years ago and we still use them. They're rectangular, white in color, and not ugly at all. Most importantly, they function very well for the cats' use. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anything on the company on the internet. But there are so many types, styles and sizes of boxes out there, you should be able to find one that meets all your needs. I've seen some very nice ones at Petco and online at different places. Some of the best ones can be bought at "big box" stores -- they're sold as storage boxes for sweaters, etc., but you can cut a doorway in them and use them with or without their lids. They come in a variety of colors and are very reasonable in price. Make sure if you do this, that you file down the cut edges to get rid of the sharpness, and try to buy one without ridges in the bottom as that makes them harder to clean. Hope you find just what you're looking for and that your big boy loves it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gizmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It looks small to me too. It's hard to say from just pictures I guess. My 2 wouldn't be happy though. We had a Littermaid box for years; then another that only lasted 2 years. After that we went back to deep regular boxes I got at Walmart. My girls are on the larger size for cats length wise. Mooch is width wise also. So for us; it's got to be a decent size box and no lid so they don't feel cornered in there.
Most litter boxes sold, automated or not, are too small for grown cats. I buy the largest litter boxes I can find 18 x 22 inches.
I'm just going to mention what happened with us. Mercy our smallest at 7 1/2 lbs was forever having a butt bugger which drives us crazy too because she's very very fluffy. Watching her one day I realized why and where it was happening. She was using the babies litter box and literally sitting on her tail when she went poo. We removed those smaller boxes. As she turned around her tail would end up under her and then plop and then there was running and screaming and mayhem as she tried to shake it off and we tried to get it off. Went to bigger boxes and no problems since.
I say that a litter box should be at least as long as the cat and half-again as much.

Like others say, the cat should be able to go in, turn around and walk out without having to scrunch.

It never hurts to have the box be a bit bigger, just for good measure. Better a bit too big than too small.
Stick a pillow in it and call it a cat canopy bed.

Everyone's right, cats need some serious space. I've got the biggest box I can find and it's still not big enough.

Someone posted a picture of a homemade cover for a litter box, it looked like a long cabinet and had partial walls on one side in such a way that you couldn't see inside. It was awesome, though I would recommend doing both sides like that, so there's always an escape in the cat's mind.
I agree with most of the other posters: from the photos, this looks like a small box with fairly sizeable cats modeling it. I bought two very large, high-sided boxes with "doorways" years ago and we still use them. They're rectangular, white in color, and not ugly at all. Most importantly, they function very well for the cats' use. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anything on the company on the internet. But there are so many types, styles and sizes of boxes out there, you should be able to find one that meets all your needs. I've seen some very nice ones at Petco and online at different places. Some of the best ones can be bought at "big box" stores -- they're sold as storage boxes for sweaters, etc., but you can cut a doorway in them and use them with or without their lids. They come in a variety of colors and are very reasonable in price. Make sure if you do this, that you file down the cut edges to get rid of the sharpness, and try to buy one without ridges in the bottom as that makes them harder to clean. Hope you find just what you're looking for and that your big boy loves it!
Thank you all! I'll definitely take it into concern what you all said. <3

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:spew: This reminds me of the time we stuffed one of my friends into another friend's military bag when we were 19ish. :p

That's definitely a roomy box. ;)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 185707 If your main concern is size, I'd say this would definitely put your mind at ease lol! Not sure how attractive one might say it is though.

Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan - Warm Gray
Photoshopped?!! You must be quite small. I got locked in my barn once and fortunately was able to fit through a dog door we had for our chickens. Otherwise, I would not be posting here now.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of my cats have been roosters (perching on the edge like a BIRD) not sure if your guys roost or not but that box doesn't seem to have a ledge for perching.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have these for our cats:
IMG_6727.JPG

There are very beautiful. You can get them from kippyskreations on etsy.com. You have to message the lady now since she was getting too many orders.

There are other sellers that make similar things also that might be a good option. These have normal litter trays hidden inside and are very spacious compared to covered boxes that are on the market.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen some beautiful litterbox cabinets made out of old television consoles. After the T.V. Is removed the space inside is just about right height wise and size wise for a large litterbox. All that needed to be done to the cabinets was add a coat of paint.