1. Guest, hurry up! Enter this giveaway to win an awesome cat-themed bag worth $64.99! Click here to enter today. Multiple daily entries!

I Need A Large Litter Box With Low Sides For My Senior Cat.

Discussion in 'Grooming & General Cat Care' started by myrnafaye, Jun 17, 2017.

1. myrnafaye

myrnafaye TCS Member Alpha Cat

Apr 20, 2014
    He is 17 and the vet thinks he has some pain issues associated with the litter (he's been spraying - something he has NEVER done in all our years together - until last month). So I am in search of a a box that might be easier for him -

2. tabbytom

tabbytom Happiness is being owned by a cat Staff Member Mentor

May 12, 2016
    Garden City, Singapore
    I got this from Ikea for me boy. It's low and big. Think it's around 6ins in height.

IMG_4040.JPG

basscat, PushPurrCatPaws and dustydiamond1 purraised this.
  3. kashmir64

kashmir64 TCS Member Alpha Cat

Apr 9, 2017
    Arizona
    You could also get a very large baking pan. They have low sides, and being stainless steel, very easy to clean.

dustydiamond1 purraised this.
  4. myrnafaye

Apr 20, 2014
    There's no Ikea here, Tabbytom. Did you order yours?

5. tabbytom

May 12, 2016
    Garden City, Singapore
    No, we have IKEA here. But this box is pretty thin and easily crack if you pull with litter inside, unless you carry the box by the handles but that's very heavy if it quite full.

Not sure if there are other better and stronger boxes with low sides. Maybe you can try what kashmir64 recommended.

6. LTS3

LTS3 TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 29, 2014
    USA
    An under-the-bed type storage container will work just as well. You can buy them at many places: Wal Mart, Target, Bed Bath Beyond, etc. Hardware stores may have something similar but heavy duty.

7. Oscar&Copper

Oscar&Copper TCS Member Young Cat

Jun 5, 2017
  8. LTS3

LTS3 TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 29, 2014
    USA
    You can also add a "step" so your elderly cat can get into and out of the box more easily. An old phone book is great if you still have any lying around collecting dust. Something similar and sturdy will work, a garden brick or two perhaps?

9. lalagimp

lalagimp TCS Member Alpha Cat

Mar 7, 2017
    DC
  10. myrnafaye

Apr 20, 2014
    I saw that one, Lalagimp, but the reviews said their cat could not turn around in it, that the dimensions listed are not the interior of the box and t hat is is smaller; therefore not necessarily appropriate for a cat with senior issues.

11. kashmir64

kashmir64 TCS Member Alpha Cat

Apr 9, 2017
    Arizona
    Good idea.
    My son doesn't even know what a phone book is, or a rolo-dex.
    We are showing our age here.

12. dustydiamond1

dustydiamond1 Minion to Gypsy since October 2016 Alpha Cat

Jan 24, 2017
    central Illinois, USA
    :lolup: HAH! Agree! :p
    "Age is a matter of mind over matter, if you don't mind it doesn't matter"

13. orange&white

orange&white TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 22, 2008
    Texas

This is really made for cats who stand up to pee or throw litter out of the box, but you could certainly cut the door out of a tub like this with as low of a "threshold" as your cat needs. I also like the idea of patio paver, bricks, or a phone book on the outside to help him climb inside.

nahui purraised this.
  14. maggiedemi

maggiedemi TCS Member Super Cat

Mar 26, 2017
    Upstate NY
    I have the black Nature's Miracle litter pan that Oscar&Copper posted the link to. If you want, I can go measure how high the entrance is. Maggie does like to throw litter out the low front, so I don't put as much litter right by the opening.

15. myrnafaye

Apr 20, 2014
    Is that the one with the 'scoop' in the front? I dont know if Obi would go for that or not...but I will take a look at it locally if I can, I am on a mission this afternoon, for litter boxes and cat fountains.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 6:53 AM
  16. artiemom

artiemom Artie, my buddy Top Cat

Dec 22, 2014
    near Boston
    I picked up an extra large litter pan at the grocery store! Stop & Shop.. My guy loves to pee, with his front paws outside the box!! He sits on the litter; as he pees, his behind goes higher and higher in the air.
    This box is the perfect size for him. He just walks, in and out.

17. maggiedemi

maggiedemi TCS Member Super Cat

Mar 26, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Yes, it's the one with the scoop in the front and Maggie scoops litter right out of it. I just went and measured it for you and the entrance is a little over 5 inches high. I have all the high back Jumbo/Giant pans- Nature's Miracle, NVR MISS, So Phresh from Petco, Petmate and Van Ness from Chewy. They all are at least 5-6 inches high in front. The lowest one I have is the Smartcat, but it's not my favorite because of the super low 4 inch front and round shape. Here's the link.
    SmartCat Ultimate Litter Box

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 8:01 AM
  18. basscat

basscat TCS Member Alpha Cat

Dec 29, 2015
    This is what I use. It's a $6.00 Drywall Mud Pan from Lowes.
    If @tabbytom had one of these, he would not be so darn grumpy all the time. :flail:
    [​IMG]

19. tabbytom

May 12, 2016
    Garden City, Singapore
    :headscratch:.............:dunno:............:think:................:lol:....................:headscratch:..........:dunno: