Letting Cat Outside A Few Hours A Day?

kittykittykittykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is very young and almost 1 year old (he is fixed) He is very curious and has ran outside a couple times. I've been letting him out a few hours a day in the afternoon with some supervision but I am worried hes not street smart enough yet to be left alone?

I have a big backyard thats fenced but theres trees overhanging and other stuff he could easily jump on and out. There's also a busy road in front of my house that has CONSTANT flowing traffic. I am very worried he will get hit by a car and I dont want to find him on the side of the road, but I also want to give him more freedom. My question is how likely would it be for him to get run over? Should I be worried? My thinking is because theres alot of traffic flowing he wont be inclined to cross where as a quiet road he would be more likely.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Indoors is the safest place for cats. Outdoor cats can get into fights with other cats or dogs. They can also be attacked by other predators (like wolves, coyotes, foxes, hawks...). The fact that you live by a busy road makes it even more important that you keep your cat inside. Cats can, and will, dash into oncoming traffic, especially if they are being chased or had been frightened. Outdoor cats can also pick up diseases from other animals.

Why You Should Never Let Your Cat Hunt

Coyotes Everywhere

There are plenty of ways to keep an indoor cat active and mentally stimulated: Beating Boredom - What Indoor Cat Owners Need To Know

Alternatively, you could look into leash-and-harness training, or building a “catio”.

Harness And Leash Training For Cats

Cat Enclosures

vynm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I second all that! Harness training your cat can be a great solution, especially if your cat is curious and not afraid of much. And it sounds like he is! And it's far cheaper than building a catio if that sounds inviting. After a slow introduction to the harness inside so he was comfortable with being on a leash, my cat loves walks. In addition to the links abyeb gave Adventure Cats has a wealth of in depth information on harness training for cats.

Train your cat to walk on a leash

What kind of harness does your cat need?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess its important for someone to express the other view, that allowing your cat to be indoor/outdoors is not irresponsible *in the right circumstances*. I live on a cul-de-sac without much traffic and have some public land behind my house, so it seems reasonable to me. A busy road, however, is a big risk. If he gets out, will he know how to get back? What if he gets scared and bolts -- might not be back to the yard if its hard to get back in. So I have to agree that this is probably not the right situation for an indoor/outdoor cat. If you want to do this, keep close watch or use a harness per the above post.