Let's see your hair! :)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
physicians formula is hard to find and limited choices... I heard it was bought by Almay...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Aveda is no longer cruelty free https://logicalharmony.net/aveda-is-no-longer-cruelty-free/     Like the other Estee Lauder products they are doing the testing required to be sold in China.
That's a shame. I bought some of their shampoo and conditioner when I was in the US a few years ago and I really liked it.

The strange thing about companies testing for the Chinese market is this: I live in a place that is really popular with Chinese tourists. Coach loads of them come here ever year and the tour buses always stop outside the big drugstores so that people can stock up on Japanese goods. I've seen people walking out with trolley-loads of diapers, baby formula, sun creams, toothpaste etc etc.

Chinese people consider Japanese brands to be much safer and much better quality than the brands they can buy at home. So why does China need to re-test products that the rest of the world has been using for so many years?

I think if people boycott brands that are funding animals testing in China they will eventually get the message. It's just a shame to have to fight the battle all over again.

Sorry @Angels mommy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's OK, it makes me sad, & surprized to know that Aveda has done that now!
Even though I haven't used their products on years. I can't afford them anymore. Only if I got them at the professional cost. The licenced only beauty supply stores do not carry it down here. Back when I lived in MN, I could get it in the professionals only beauty supply stores, because it was from MN.
There have been so many new products since I was familiar w/ the line. In fact, I still have 3 of the original chakara "purfumes." (Back in the 90's when i worked at the Aveda salon, I went to one of the big Aveda Congress 3 day hair shows in Minneapolis). It was great! I think I still have the ticket or pass in a scrap book w/ some of that stuff.
I definitely had a whole different life in MN!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Paul Mitchell is one salon brand that is still cruelty free.  They started out that way and they have pledged to stay out of the Chinese market until they drop the mandatory animal testing for imported brands.

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Someone asked in a "purraise" message if that's my natural hair color in the photo I posted. I can confirm that, yes indeed, that's the authentic shade that gets you made fun of mercilessly as a kid. You know, gingers have no souls, we're leprechauns, we're Satanists, we shrivel up and die in the sun like vampires...all the usual compliments. As a kid I had red hair, now I have reddish brown hair I guess. The one thing I don't like is that my beard grows in flecked with blond...I've got a sort of Ragnar Lothbrok beard going on now and I'm thinking of buying some Just For Men to make it consistent instead of the brown/red/blond mess it is right now. Or I could shave. That would probably be easier.

Interesting discussion on the cruelty-free hair products. That's something I don't think about, but I should. Thanks for the info.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Someone asked in a "purraise" message if that's my natural hair color in the photo I posted. I can confirm that, yes indeed, that's the authentic shade that gets you made fun of mercilessly as a kid. You know, gingers have no souls, we're leprechauns, we're Satanists, we shrivel up and die in the sun like vampires...all the usual compliments. 
Did you get "Hey! Guess what kind of GUM I'm chewing?"  DH seems to find that one especially annoying. 

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

But you've had the last laugh @Plan  Now we've grown up we're all aspiring red heads who spend a fortune trying to mimic your colour.
Muahahaha! Plus now we have Michael Fassbender, Damian Lewis, Deborah Ann Wohl, Rose Leslie, Amy Adams, Ed Sheeran and a whole lot of other people proving red hair is awesome.

Did you get "Hey! Guess what kind of GUM I'm chewing?"  DH seems to find that one especially annoying. 
Oh yes. Every redhead has heard every redhead-related joke a thousand times, and every person who ever makes a redhead joke thinks they're incredibly clever for being the 1001th person to crack the same joke.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background

I love this thread. I had blonde hair as a kid then somewhere I scared the blonde away...the funny thing is I have dif colors on my head before I colored..darker underneath and reddish blonde ontop....and I heard all the blonde jokes as well...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yes. Every redhead has heard every redhead-related joke a thousand times, and every person who ever makes a redhead joke thinks they're incredibly clever for being the 1001th person to crack the same joke.
And every redhead looks like some other read head they know so they MUST be related. 

It's not THAT rare! 
  DH's hair is fading fast and early so hes not getting so many hair jokes; but hes still getting the sunscreen ones.  Even I associate the smell of Coppertone with him. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My sister, who is pale skinned and has curly hair like me but decided to go for a more natural shade of red, emigrated to the US about 15 years ago. She has a West Country accent, but I guess all British accents sound the same to Americans. She still has to explain to pretty much every one she meets that she's not from Ireland. Somehow people see the red curls and hear the accent and just assume she's Irish.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

My sister, who is pale skinned and has curly hair like me but decided to go for a more natural shade of red, emigrated to the US about 15 years ago. She has a West Country accent, but I guess all British accents sound the same to Americans. She still has to explain to pretty much every one she meets that she's not from Ireland. Somehow people see the red curls and hear the accent and just assume she's Irish.

When I was in college my step-brother's school (in another state) hosted a group of Irish boys for a short term study abroad type program.  I forget how many there were but my step-brother befriended them and my step-sister was totally smitten so I saw pictures.  Not one had red hair. Not one! 

I always thought it would be so cute to have a DD with hair like mine and a son with red hair like DH's.  SIL got 3 versions of red so I figured my chances were good.  Apparently I don't carry enough of the red gene myself.  My immediate family, parents, grandparents, cousins, etc all have darker hair except one blond cousin.  Both my parents were blond as young kids but it changed to dark brown as they got to be a little older.  DD had dark hair till around 8-9 months. By age 1 she was so blond she looked like Cindy-lou Who.  It's now a lighter brown the mine but looks blonder in the sun.  DS has my shade but I think it's starting to lighten some.  Or it's just that his hair has different shades in different sections like mine does and it's more noticeable on short hair.  i hope it doesn't change too much.  I like having one look like me.  Is that vain? 

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I can peg a Brit accent to pretty much anywhere in the country, and I've never been there. Too much Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey, Rome, etc.!

I know what you mean about being mistaken for Irish though. There's a local bar here that is very popular with Irish ex-pats, and I went there one night with some friends, who got me much more drunk than I would have liked. I went outside for some fresh air and was sitting on a bench when this Irish couple comes up and they start talking a mile a minute, like I'm Seamus O'Neil who they've known for 10 years...

I just said, "What?"

The girl looks at me with disgust and says, "Oh, you're American!"

Then they turned around and went back inside. Haha. I swear I would've understood them if I wasn't inebriated. Okay, maybe not every word...

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Got my hair done this afternoon. Here it is: the best selfies...

it is a bit darker in the winter. It will be a bit blonder in the summer... I change with the weather!! and seasons!   the grey roots are gone!!

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan foxxycat foxxycat denice denice

Look at the German brands, I use Lavera and Benecos which are natural, organic, cruelty free and a fair bit is vegan too. There are plenty of other brands but these too are cheaper. I get my bits from Beauty Centre Europe

Nora what a wonderful colour and artiemom artiemom too. I've just got some henna and cassia and I'm going to do glosses once a month. I found a litre of silicone free conditioner for 0.99€ so I can experiment.

My hair's drunk hair. It's fine, frizzy and there's not much of it. I grow it really long then cut it all short and start again. My hair behaves itself when long but looks better short. I love short hair but it's much harder to deal with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

But you've had the last laugh @Plan  Now we've grown up we're all aspiring red heads who spend a fortune trying to mimic your colour.
  So true. I am very grateful that I can trade with my friend who does mine. I couldn't afford her otherwise, especially with long hair!!  

That's funny, because with the red hair & the name Kelly, people think I am too. I have to tell them nope, my dad is Italian, & my mom is 1/2 German & 1/2 Dutch!  

@Artiemom, Looks Good!  It always feels good to get it done. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
@Artiemom  lovely color!

@Pegleg  thanks for the suggestions. For now I prefer natural. I just can't stand the smell of chemicals. I don't even like the smell of hairspray or gel! So far face cream is all I need and lip balm for the cold days.

I didn't get a chance to color it. I chickened out because I loath making a mess with hair dye dripping and making a big mess. I should lop it off anyways..

lily paddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
View media item 406301
View media item 403623

Im trying to decide if i like dark light or really light.. and i use WEN exclusively and i have them do an Oliplex system on my hair every color.. every 5 weeks.. Its an ombre kinda right now.. top pic.. Summer i get really light.. im hanging in there with the coloring.. it was a mess from over blonding.. i have dark brown naturally.. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
@Lily Paddy  I think the colour in the first picture suits you best.

I can peg a Brit accent to pretty much anywhere in the country, and I've never been there. Too much Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey, Rome, etc.!
My sister and I have had to tone our accents down a bit (So we could get jobs and husbands and visas for other countries and stuff)

When we get together over a few drinks we revert back to our usual way of speaking though. We sound a bit like Vicky from Little Britain.