Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Welcome back @foxxycat!  Glad you enjoyed your vacation.  I've recently discovered adding sausage to my chili.  It really adds flavor to it.  Yum.
I like hot Italian sausage. Wonder if I still should add the chili powder to the chili when using it? Would it be too hot with it or not have the same chili flavor we want if we don't add it?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those vegetarians in the audience (or those who just want to forego meat for whatever reason, sometimes), there are vegetarian versions of chorizo available!  The one I currently buy is Reynaldo's.  Look for it near the other kinds of chorizo at your local store, and ask for it if they don't have it!  It's excellent!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I like hot Italian sausage. Wonder if I still should add the chili powder to the chili when using it? Would it be too hot with it or not have the same chili flavor we want if we don't add it?
 I use mild Italian sausage and only taste the spices when I eat a piece of the ground sausage.  You can make it w/o the spices and add them if it isn't spicy enough.  My husband likes spicy foods and I don't so he is always adding chili powder to my food.

BTW If your trying to cut calories, check the ingredients on your chili powder.  I had one that had sugar added to it.

Just found this icon. 
   Not sure when you would use it.  What do ewe think?

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I use mild Italian sausage and only taste the spices when I eat a piece of the ground sausage.  You can make it w/o the spices and add them if it isn't spicy enough.  My husband likes spicy foods and I don't so he is always adding chili powder to my food.

BTW If your trying to cut calories, check the ingredients on your chili powder.  I had one that had sugar added to it.

Just found this icon. 
Some of the different types of emoji on here are bizarre. Like this weird one.  
  and this one. 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Raina21 The Highly Sensitive podcast and the blog might have some helpful tips on how to block the overstimulation of life. You can also contact the person (Kelly) and ask if she has tips or could do a podcast on sensory sensitivities in autistic people.

Just submitted my mortgage refinance application. Probably won't hear back until tomorrow at the earliest.

Tomorrow is going to be a super crazy day at work - all the usual stuff plus around 40 things that need to be moved from the incubator to the main system (and there's no space for all of it) and a lab meeting in the afternoon which the lab head's email said that he would be presenting at (on a topic that is
to me) and the meeting may go longer than usual.. Oh, and I'm by myself tomorrow because my co-worker is off and I most likely won't be able to get overtime pay if I stay late. Me right now -->
(trying not to sink @NewYork1303)

Welcome back, Foxxycat!

Last edited:

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just found this icon. 
Thanks for the tip about sugar in the chili powder. I stopped using sugar and artificial sweeteners. I use stevia now.

I think we could use that jump rope icon for exercising

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the tip about sugar in the chili powder. I stopped using sugar and artificial sweeteners. I use stevia now.

I don't remember where I read this, but I read that Stevia is dangerous or unhealthy or something.

I don't mess with low fat or low calorie foods, personally.  I think the low fat stuff tastes horribly and I'm hypoglycemic so I need the calories and sugar to keep from getting sick.  I have a really high metabolism and my pancreas processes sugar too quickly so if I don't eat within 20 minutes of feeling hungry, I start getting light headed and shaky and my vision gets kind of dark and I'll feel weak and nauseous.  It's nice because can eat whatever I want whenever I want without worrying about weight gain, but it's kind of a pain in the butt because if I run out of the snacks that I carry with me, I can end up pretty messed up and I feel gross for the rest of the day, even after I eat.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't remember where I read this, but I read that Stevia is dangerous or unhealthy or something.

I don't mess with low fat or low calorie foods, personally.  I think the low fat stuff tastes horribly and I'm hypoglycemic so I need the calories and sugar to keep from getting sick.  I have a really high metabolism and my pancreas processes sugar too quickly so if I don't eat within 20 minutes of feeling hungry, I start getting light headed and shaky and my vision gets kind of dark and I'll feel weak and nauseous.  It's nice because can eat whatever I want whenever I want without worrying about weight gain, but it's kind of a pain in the butt because if I run out of the snacks that I carry with me, I can end up pretty messed up and I feel gross for the rest of the day, even after I eat.
I don't eat the low fat or low calorie foods either. Just don't use salt or sugar. I get enough of that when I eat the sweets I love. I need something to sweeten my iced tea, so I use stevia because it has less chemicals in it than artificial sweeteners, and doesn't raise your blood sugar like the other sweeteners do. I switched to almond milk and coconut milk, I don't like the taste of soy milk. Cow's milk gives me diarrhea. It has natural sugar in it from the carbohydrates,

I haven't used salt for many years and made the other changes, plus no fast food, since the beginning of the year.

I should do more to get healthy. I can't do a lot of walking or exercise because of spinal stenosis.

Enough negative talk, I'm a positive person and usually talk about what I CAN do.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I love aloe. That stuff is absolutely amazing. It feels like a miracle cure when it comes to burns.
It does. It helped me with a second degree sunburn I had (on both shoulders!!--I'm a moron) a few years ago.

just got back from 2 weeks. it was a nice vacation-somewhat boring for Jon as I don't care to drive around day after day. We had mostly good weather. Honeybee stayed in the house with us unless she wanted to poke around which was only in the early morning-which at 4:30 she jumped on us licking our faces to let us know she wants out. of course NO! we didnt let her out until 7am. I missed most sun rises-I dont wake until 6. but I saw each sunset. 

Pumps actually stayed around the camp for a change. She slept under the chair on the deck or on the chair or under a shrub nearby. Honeybee was ticking her off and bugging her around 4pm. she would go find her under the house next door. after a few days of this Pumps hung close to the house=she used to stay under the house next door or on their deck to get away from Honeybee. Maybe this year she realizes Honeybee pretty much ignores her outside.

Reading the thread her and listening to Pink Floyd Wish you were here. I had a few tears on the way home missing Floey and her grouchy self on the seat next to me. She used to hiss at HoneyB because Bee would climb on her to look out the window which earned a hiss and swipe. This is why I set up a ton of beds in the back of the truck=they used to sleep together on the gigantic hassic. we bring it every year because the  loveseat is too small for 2 people=pumps sleeps on the hassic while jon lays on the love seat. plus at home this hassic is part of our day bed of couch/bed.

We had a good time-I unfortunately ate too many cookies and chips. we ate mostly premade food. I didnt want to dirty up their stove and we pick at things. I am hung up on this Chili at Swan Lake Grocery store in Swanville Maine. OMG I talked to the lady today=she makes it from scratch. its spicy but GOOD. hamburg and sausage and the perfect blend of seasonings. I ate this almost every day. On the drive home I got a large container=I kicking myself=I should have got 6 of them and freeze it. I am crazy enough that I would drive 4.5 hours on a weekend and pick some up. Thats how I am about food=once I find something I love-I want it all the time. The other thing I couldnt leave alone=these shortbread cookies with fudge by Surefine. but yeah I will be hitting the gym again. Gained more weight-getting annoyed.

I may have to find a pcd to check my endocrine because I shouldnt be gaining 10 lbs a month. If I work out 90 min a day 4 times a week=hard workouts-I wasnt loosing weight but holding steady. BUT I will say I couldnt leave the food alone-but I did cut back half. I used to eat 3500-4000 calories a day=I had no clue=I started clocking it. now I keep it at 1900-2300. I cant get below 1800 or I am just too tired and dont feel well. 

so I am back and the cats are back to hanging out on the deck. 

Hope all is well! I missed you guys!!
Welcome back home! 

You have a keeper.  SIGH...I know how that "can't afford a divorce" thing goes.  Took me awhile to save for my first one.  My second one was paid for by the ex, because he knew I couldn't afford it.  We're still good friends, we just didn't do married well.

Aloe is good for most anything skin related.  It cured my dad of a fungus infection that recurred on his hands for years after working in a steel mill,  Molten steel popped on his hands, and a fungus got into the burns.  He spent a small fortune in prescription creams over the years, only to clear it up permanently with aloe.

@foxxycat   WELCOME HOME!!!
LS got a bad sunburn in the Navy, and they kept prescribing antibiotic burn creams that did--absolutely nothing. She finally went out and bought an aloe plant and you can't even tell where she was burned now.

If there is one thing I've learned from volunteering it is that the volunteer cordinators and volunteers can be a bit flakey. It is a challenge to get anything out of them sometimes. I'd call them back and remind them. :)
Sounds like some of my coworkers! 
 And they  get paid! 

Now, you want to be careful about Stevia. There have been a lot of worrisome reports about it! 

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It does. It helped me with a second degree sunburn I had (on both shoulders!!--I'm a moron) a few years ago.

Welcome back home! 

LS got a bad sunburn in the Navy, and they kept prescribing antibiotic burn creams that did--absolutely nothing. She finally went out and bought an aloe plant and you can't even tell where she was burned now.

Sounds like some of my coworkers! 
 And they  get paid! 

Now, you want to be careful about Stevia. There have been a lot of worrisome reports about it! 
I will read up some more about stevia to get better educated about it, thanks for your concern. We need something to sweeten our drinks and sugar causes all kinds of diseases.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so white and blonde, I burn to a crisp.  I had a blister the size of a half dollar on my shoulder several years ago and a few summers ago, I ended up with even bigger blisters all over my back.  Sunscreen doesn't do me much good.  When I get burns like that, aloe doesn't quite cut it.  I have to get Silvadene cream.  Prescription only.  And of course, it never turns into a tan.  But, this summer, my feet tanned!  If you look really close and squint a bit, you can almost sorta see tan lines from my flip flops.  Woohoo!  Yes, it's pathetic, but it's the most color I've ever gotten so shush!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've also heard terrible things about stevia. Of course, I've seen health things go back and forth so articles that certain things are bad for you and then articles about them being miraculous. 

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've also heard terrible things about stevia. Of course, I've seen health things go back and forth so articles that certain things are bad for you and then articles about them being miraculous. 
That's why I stick with real sugar, real butter, full fat stuff, etc.  Haha.  Plus it tastes better!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's why I stick with real sugar, real butter, full fat stuff, etc.  Haha.  Plus it tastes better!
Very true. From what I've seen most of the substitues cause more problems, thus it is a lot better to just eat real sugar and fat, but in moderation. 

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Very true. From what I've seen most of the substitues cause more problems, thus it is a lot better to just eat real sugar and fat, but in moderation. 
That's true for those of us who don't have diabetes, but stevia doesn't raise blood sugar like sugar and artificial sweeteners do. I agree about the full fat foods and butter, they do taste better. Better to have less of the better one.... quality, not quantity

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Humanity has been eating all these "bad" foods for millennia without dying out. There must be something good in all the original foods that have not been messed with or changed artificially. It's one thing to breed an organism such as corn from an insignificant grass to the big fat ears we have now, and a totally different thing to take its DNA apart and change it that way. Only in the last hundred or so years have we been able to make substitutes for wholesome things such as butter and milk out of plants to end up with margarine and soy milk. It also seems that the general health of at least Western humanity has gone down since then with more and more diseases popping up or getting worse since then. Why should good wholesome foods suddenly not be good although we have survived eating them for millennia?

Certainly, we now have diseases such as diabetes which are exacerbated by eating certain foods, but that should not lead a person without such a condition to believe that doing without those foods would make they themselves healthier or that the substitute would be better for them. 

Last edited:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is where I'm lucky.  I can use the real stuff and still eat as much as I want.  I'm taking college classes online and I'm just finishing up a nutrition class.  One of the assignments was to decide on our ideal weight, calculate the calories we would need to consume to stay at that weight, create a meal plan, and follow it for a day.  I'm 105 lbs right now and I feel like I could stand to gain a bit, so I put 115 as my idea weight.  I followed the meal plan and I was starving all day.  So, even though that's what I would need to stay at a weight 10 lbs higher than my current weight, it is much less than what I'm eating now.  If I followed that diet plan all the time, I would end up losing more weight.  So I'm just gonna keep being a total oinker because I can get away with it.  And I'm also going to stay 25 as long as I want.  My great uncle was 39 for over 40 years.  So I can stay 25 forever.  I've been 25 for over 3 years now.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Humanity has been eating all these "bad" foods for millennia without dying out. There must be something good in all the original foods that have not been messed with or changed artificially. It's one thing to breed an organism such as corn from an insignificant grass to the big fat ears we have now, and a totally different thing to take its DNA apart and change it that way. Only in the last hundred or so years have we been able to make substitutes for wholesome things such as butter and milk out of plants to end up with margarine and soy milk. It also seems that the general health of at least Western humanity has gone down since then with more and more diseases popping up or getting worse since then. Why should good wholesome foods suddenly not be good although we have survived eating them for millennia?

Certainly, we now have diseases such as diabetes which are exacerbated by eating certain foods, but that should not lead a person without such a condition to believe that doing without those foods would make they themselves healthier or that the substitute would be better for them. 
My grandma has always used real butter, full fat dairy products, real sugar, etc.  She always cooked meals with meat, vegetables, etc.  She's 85 years old now.  She takes no prescription medications.  She can get around just fine.  I've been taking her to the grocery store only because her car is acting up and she doesn't want to get stranded.  She has arthritis, she had cataract surgery two years ago, she wears glasses, and she has dentures.  Other than that, she's in perfect health.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm diabetic, and I use a lot of stevia.  I'm just guessing, but here are some of the bad things you may have heard:
  1. It has a nasty aftertaste.
  2. It's bad for the environment.
  3. It hasn't really been proven to be safe.
My responses:
  1. Yes, the stevia that you can get in your local grocery store does have a nasty aftertaste.  This is a result of the cheap purification method they used.  When stevia is prepared properly there is no nasty aftertaste at all (though it's too sweet if you try to eat it straight).  I recommend either Now Better Stevia or NuStevia.  There are probably a few others that taste good, but I haven't gone searching for them.
  2. This particular claim is being made by a company that plans to manufacture a synthetic version of stevia, in order to justify what amounts to a cost-cutting measure because they can't be bothered to actually purify stevia properly.  Unfortunately, it means yet another artificial sweetener, and they're trying to get the government to say that they can call their new sweetener "stevia," without saying that it's artificial (which genuine stevia is not).
  3. There was a scare a few years ago about stevia causing some kind of horrible organ failure, which proved to be based entirely on speculation.  The biggest problem with stevia that I've been able to find online is that it can actually cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).  In most people it shouldn't, but if you're worried about it there are some excellent glucometers (blood glucose meters) available at low expense; I got mine from a Kroger pharmacy; it's their store brand and both the meter and the test strips are cheap, while the quality remains high.  And if stevia does cause hypoglycemia for you, you may want to get a checkup.  Merely replacing refined sugar with stevia shouldn't do that to you.
Eating too much sugar and/or high fructose corn syrup can cause diabetes.  It can also cause cirrhosis of the liver.  Just because sugar is a natural sweetener doesn't mean it's good for you.  When we were evolving, a desire for sweets resulted in eating more fruits, with all the fiber and vitamins that came with the fruit.  It also gave us more calories, so that we could better survive periodic famines.  But then we learned to keep bees in hives controlled by humans who would periodically steal their honey and sell this highly refined version of sugar, we learned how to refine sugar ourselves, and our consumption of sugar increased way past safe levels.

Yes, for most healthy people, sugar is safe, in moderation!  Saccharin may or may not be safe, but it still tastes like saccharin. 
  Cyclamate may well be safe -- the study that got it banned for being a carcinogen was funded by the people who wanted to market aspartame.  The studies that claim to prove the safety of aspartame all have the same disclaimer: "in moderate amounts," which is what I say about sugar!

As for fats, it isn't fat that is the problem; it's the kind of fat.  We absolutely have to have some cholesterol; our brains need it.  If a mother doesn't get cholesterol while pregnant the developing brain of her fetus can be damaged, and even adults need it for proper brain functioning.  The problem arises when we get too much of one kind of cholesterol and not enough of another.  See http://www.drsinatra.com/defining-the-different-types-of-cholesterol/ for definitions and more depth than simply "LDL cholesterol is bad and HDL cholesterol is good."  Our bodies are complex, and the fact is that we simply don't know everything about them.  Yes, new research keeps coming out, and sometimes it proves that the things we used to be told about health are wrong.  The best rule of thumb that I know of is, listen to your body.  Pay attention!  Notice when something new in your diet makes you feel bad, or good.  And read as much as you can, because the more you understand about how your body works the better you can understand what it's telling you.

Margret

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.