Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I accidently locked Patrick into "his" room overnight. He has his litter box and food bowl in there and he sleeps on the daybed a lot. So there should not have been a problem but apparently he really wanted out and could not open the door. He scratched so hard on the carpet right there where the door SHOULD open that he ripped it out of the metal part that goes across the edge at the door and destroyed a piece of the carpet about the size of my hand. Oh my, now what? This is a RENTAL! I usually pull the door shut just far  enough that it is almost closed to keep the other cats out who are not smart or strong enough to push the door open, and he puts his paws under the door and pulls it open (he's really strong). But this time I had pulled it all the way closed and he could not open it.

If that had been Panthera he would have been banging on the door and making it rattle in the door jamb and also voicing his displeasure of being on the "wrong" side of the door, but Patrick does not do that, he just wants to pull the door open.  

Maybe if I hang some bells on the door knob on the inside he would use those intentionally or by accident if I hang them real low so I could hear him?
Uh oh! Cats can be very insistent when they want in and out of any space. 

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About cat scratches and bites - I've always been very fortunate and have never gotten an infection.  This thread is a good reminder to take scratches and bites very seriously.  

@Tallyollyopia  - my heart goes out to you with your sleeping problems.  I struggle with these myself.   One big problem is the mental wheels just turning and turning while I'm trying to sleep but I find that low voices in the background break that cycle so I can drift off better.   There's nothing like knowing you have to get to sleep in order to be able to work to keep you from getting there.

@Debbila  - Bells Palsy is such a pain.  I hope your doctor finds out what's going on so you don't have to go through this again!  
I don't like resorting to medication to sleep--but I really, really  needed sleep. Four hours a day for almost a month is not nearly enough.

@Margd   I love the wide window sills in your new place.  Nice for the kitties.

@Tallyollyopia   I use Tylenol PM and am groggy the next day too.  I still like getting a good nights sleep when I use it.  It has Benedryl in it to make you sleep.

Yesterday DH and I went to the Facebook Farmer's Market.  They had a Grateful Dead cover band playing.  They were really good.  Today we're thinking of going to the art museum at Stanford U.  They have a new display up and parking is free on Sundays.  DH also wants to have Pizza My Heart for lunch.  Need to google the menu and see if they have any GF options.
That sounds like fun! (I didn't know it was possible to make gluten free pizza.)

I accidently locked Patrick into "his" room overnight. He has his litter box and food bowl in there and he sleeps on the daybed a lot. So there should not have been a problem but apparently he really wanted out and could not open the door. He scratched so hard on the carpet right there where the door SHOULD open that he ripped it out of the metal part that goes across the edge at the door and destroyed a piece of the carpet about the size of my hand. Oh my, now what? This is a RENTAL! I usually pull the door shut just far  enough that it is almost closed to keep the other cats out who are not smart or strong enough to push the door open, and he puts his paws under the door and pulls it open (he's really strong). But this time I had pulled it all the way closed and he could not open it.

If that had been Panthera he would have been banging on the door and making it rattle in the door jamb and also voicing his displeasure of being on the "wrong" side of the door, but Patrick does not do that, he just wants to pull the door open.  

Maybe if I hang some bells on the door knob on the inside he would use those intentionally or by accident if I hang them real low so I could hear him?
All I can tell you is that we some bells hanging off our front door (leftover Christmas decorations that didn't quite get put up) and Spot has no compunction about ringing them to open the door. As for the carpet--I have no idea. Sorry. 

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@segelkatt  On the bells, we have all kinds of bell strings around our home and the cats love to jingle these. I'm not sure a cat could be trained to ring them for a purpose though. 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not babbling today, just 
  My family is so
dysfunctional. At least some of my since-childhood anxiety issues are caused by them. Dealing with them even less would be ideal but Mom makes me feel guilty if I don't show up for at least dinner on weekends. So I go but then end up stressed out and in a near anxiety attack because there's always someone in a foul tantrum throwing mood. I'm super sensitive to moods and get easily affected by it. I'm trying to de-stress now but neither cat is in a cuddly mood
Well, Leroy is never cuddly. He can't hold still more more than a second before he squirms and zooms off. I'm going to give meditation a try later but it never works the same at home as when I do it at work in the meditation room. It's probably the setting at home (a cold wet drippy nose constantly poking me, street noise, etc.) vs a quiet room with adjustable mood lighting and odd looking but comfy furniture (they look like giant blobs more suited for a kids' play area than a corporate office).

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like I got to a new point with Angua and Ruby. Today Angua has been cuddly, but Carrot wasn't really into it so Angua snuggled up with Ruby instead. Ruby seemed surprised and I was too. I left them alone for a while. Unfortunately, when I got up to get my camera, they jumped up too, remembering that it was their dinnertime. 

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes! Those are some crazy numbers. Thank goodness cats can be spayed and neutered. 

I've started working on an adult coloring book. I love the complication of the different patterns. 

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence

It certainly seems like they've suddenly had a population increase.

Wishing you good luck! 

I don't like resorting to medication to sleep--but I really, really  needed sleep. Four hours a day for almost a month is not nearly enough.

That sounds like fun! (I didn't know it was possible to make gluten free pizza.)

All I can tell you is that we some bells hanging off our front door (leftover Christmas decorations that didn't quite get put up) and Spot has no compunction about ringing them to open the door. As for the carpet--I have no idea. Sorry. 
Thank you, it sounds like it may work even if he does not do it on purpose. He is a big cat so if he starts digging on the carpet where the bells hang down he would inadvertently bump into them and set them off and I should hear them. I really should just make sure before I go to bed that all cats are accounted for.  Panthera tells me when it's time for bed as he sleeps with me, Bebe comes in the morning to wake me up although she does a bad job of that as she just cuddles up close to me on the other side from Panthera, she is very light so she does not move the bed when she jumps up and Capucchino does her own thing. BUT, if Patrick is up and about in the morning he jumps on the bed and looks for a place NOT occupied by Panthera so he can cuddle next to me (well, actually he just throws himself against my leg!) and bump my hand, telling me that he needs petting.

Regarding the carpet, I will just have to live with it, and if and when I move from here, hopefully many years from now or after I'm dead,  it will not matter because the carpet would need to be replaced anyway.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@ Handsome Kitty

Have you tried taking half a dose of Tylenol PM? When I used to use it I was groggy the next morning too, so I took half the recommended dose and was alert the next morning. Hope this helps if you haven't tried it yet. I used to get upper respiratory infections and the cough kept me awake most of the night, so I know what you are going through.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@Tallyollyopia  - I take 25 mg of Benedryl and 10 mg of melatonin every night. It takes 2-1/2 hours to kick in, so I take it early, for me at 9 pm. It works like a charm 
My biggest problem is that Benedryl knocks me out for two days--far too long on my schedule.

Yikes! Those are some crazy numbers. Thank goodness cats can be spayed and neutered. 

I've started working on an adult coloring book. I love the complication of the different patterns. 
AWM gave me a adult coloring book featuring faeries for my birthday. I like experimenting with the different colors, personally. 

Thank you, it sounds like it may work even if he does not do it on purpose. He is a big cat so if he starts digging on the carpet where the bells hang down he would inadvertently bump into them and set them off and I should hear them. I really should just make sure before I go to bed that all cats are accounted for.  Panthera tells me when it's time for bed as he sleeps with me, Bebe comes in the morning to wake me up although she does a bad job of that as she just cuddles up close to me on the other side from Panthera, she is very light so she does not move the bed when she jumps up and Capucchino does her own thing. BUT, if Patrick is up and about in the morning he jumps on the bed and looks for a place NOT occupied by Panthera so he can cuddle next to me (well, actually he just throws himself against my leg!) and bump my hand, telling me that he needs petting.

Regarding the carpet, I will just have to live with it, and if and when I move from here, hopefully many years from now or after I'm dead,  it will not matter because the carpet would need to be replaced anyway.
I hope it helps. 

@ Handsome Kitty

Have you tried taking half a dose of Tylenol PM? When I used to use it I was groggy the next morning too, so I took half the recommended dose and was alert the next morning. Hope this helps if you haven't tried it yet. I used to get upper respiratory infections and the cough kept me awake most of the night, so I know what you are going through.
I think the next time (not that I'm hoping  there will be a next time, but keeping my mind open to the possibility of it happening) I'll try that.

And now, because people have been asking for it, another excerpt in Magic School and Egg

Torches along the walls flared into life, showing her a shadowy staircase. Like the staircase in the dorms, it was spiral shaped, but this one was much wider. Each step was made of stones so perfectly fit together that there was no space between them. The torches were in arch-shaped recesses in the walls, and seemed to be spaced apart at even intervals.

The entire tower was frightening. The only thing that kept Yarey going was that she needed to get Rarta, and according to Assir, she was with the headmaster. Yarey carefully started up the stairs.

She wasn’t sure how the torches were lighting themselves. She was sure that it wasn’t magical, given that the headmaster seemed to frown on magical lights indoors. So that meant there had to be a logical, physical reason for the torches to light themselves.

She turned to look at the torches behind her, to see if there were wires or something similar, and the hair on the back of her neck stood on end. The torches were putting themselves out as she passed them. It was terrifying, it was disturbing, it—probably saved on torches. She knew that Isdel would like something like that for the estates; not only would it save on torches, but it would be less of a fire hazard in places like the stables where there was dry, flammable hay everywhere.

Feeling better she continued up the stairs. Aside from the one she’d entered she saw no doors, so the staircase must end at the headmaster’s room, or office, or whatever the headmaster had. Since Rarta was with the headmaster, she’d find the teacher there as well.

Suddenly Yarey came to complete stop on the staircase. If the headmaster was in his office—then the headmaster’s soulling was there as well. She was going to have to face it again. She’d have to look at it’s teeth and remember the throat of the serim and how the snake had almost eaten her…

She was being silly. The headmaster’s soulling didn’t eat people. It couldn’t; there wouldn't be a school left. Something like that had to eat at least once a week. Well, it was about the same size as a serim and that was how often a serim had to eat. She didn’t think the king would see getting students to the school so important if they were going to feed a monstrous soulling.

Just how tall was the tower, anyway? It felt like she’d been climbing stairs forever. The colored glass that she’d seen had all been at the top of the tower, so the only light she had as she made her way through was that of the torches—and the torches extinguished themselves after she passed them so she had no way of knowing how far she’d managed to get.

The end of the stairs came as a physical shock. One moment she was trudging like the stairs went on forever, and then—there were no more stairs. She was just staring at a large stone door with the monstrous face of the headmaster’s soulling carved into it. The door was not the soulling; it wasn’t a real creature. The door could not attack her.

Timidly she reached out and rapped her knuckles against the door. It swung open soundlessly to reveal the headmaster sitting at a large, dark wooden desk, the headmaster’s soulling lying on the floor beside the desk, and Rarta standing in front of it. The entire room; the ceiling, the floor, what there was of the walls between the windows; was made of some kind of reflective substance. The last time that Yarey had seen reflections that clear was when she’d looked into the surface of a deep pond on Isdel’s estate.

“Yarey,” said Rarta with concern, “whatever is the matter?”

“Anba exercised too much and is having trouble moving. Virik told me to get you, and Assir said you were here,” Yarey explained. She didn’t ask why Rarta, who was in charge of Yarey’s group, was meeting with the headmaster. She wasn’t sure she wanted to know.

Rarta sighed as the headmaster chuckled. “We do account for it,” the headmaster told the teacher.

“I know,” said Rarta wearily. “It just had to be one of mine.” Rarta began to leave the uncomfortable room and Yarey was right behind her.

“Yarey, a moment,” said the headmaster.

Yarey froze. Staying meant being close to the headmaster’s soulling for longer than absolutely necessary. She turned to face the headmaster again, but didn’t want to look at the soulling with the large teeth. She decided to look down at the floor instead.

The combination of reflection from the floor and the ceiling created an endless loop of Yarey’s staring at her face. It was disconcerting—but not worse than the thought of facing the headmaster’s soulling again. As long as she didn’t see it, she couldn’t freeze in fear. Her arms convulsively twitched around the egg she was holding.

There was a sound of rustling papers, similar to what could be heard in Isdel’s office when he was doing the accounts. “Yarey, I understand that you told your uncle that you wanted to be an Outrider, and that’s why you’re here. I also understand that you wanted to find out more about your father.”

Yarey wasn’t surprised that he knew. After all, the three of them had been discussing their life stories in plain view of everyone, as evidenced by the way that Ueni walked up to them. He probably had people reporting in to him about everything that happened in the school. Isdel tried to do the same thing on the estate, but Isdel had no magic power.

“I did not serve in the war at the same time as your father,” continued Zachi. “As one of the surviving generals it was my duty to write the letter informing the families of the deceased when they were of a certain rank and above, as your father was.” She could hear a tapping sound, as though he was tapping something on his desk. “He was a brave man, and did not deserve to die the way he did.”

“Isdel,” volunteered Yarey timidly, “said that no one deserved the way they died during the war with the Drar, but that there was no choice but to fight.”

“Isdel sounds wise,” said the headmaster. She could hear approval in his voice. “He’s right on both counts. Now, do you still want to be an Outrider?”

“I don’t know if I’m suited,” confessed Yarey. She swallowed hard and then explained, “Outriders travel from place to place, keeping the peace and protecting the country from the return of the Drar. This is the first time I’ve ever left the estates in my life. I don’t know if I’m capable of handling it.” She didn’t look up during the speech, but she could tell that the headmaster’s soulling was staring at her. She didn’t want to look up and see its teeth.

“Very wisely thought,” approved the headmaster. “Yarey, look at me.”

Unwillingly she dragged her gaze from the floor and looked up at the headmaster. He nodded and looked satisfied. “You’ve come a long way, and it’s only been one day. I’m looking forward to seeing how you turn out, Yarey.”

She nodded, glanced at the stationary soulling that was still lying next to the desk. It wasn’t moving. It’s eyes were closed. She had been certain that it was looking at her. She gave the headmaster a bow and then fled down the stairs as fast as she felt she safely could.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it's starting to get dark a little earlier here too but summer is in full swing and will be for a while. I took DD back to school on Friday and it was brutally hot. Like so hot we had to keep taking breaks and she brought less stuff than she usually does. This was our fourth summer move in and I swear it was the worst one yet. It had to have been in the upper 90's. 

By the time I moved her in and then took her grocery shopping, it was almost 8 PM by the time I headed home. The kids' dinner was about 2 hours late and boy were they mad. Lily was glaring at me, Henry looked annoyed and Sophie was hollering (loudly squawking) at me from the kitchen table. 

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Tallyollyopia  - Benedryl and Tylenol PM both have the same antihistamine in them that makes you sleepy - diphenhydramine. If you took two Benedryl pills or capsules, that may have been too much. But if you took two Tylenol PMs, you got the same dosage. There's no reason for Benedryl to knock you out and Tylenol PM to leave you refreshed. They both do the same thing.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

It's really starting to get dark and stay dark earlier. Easy to tell around here that the end of summer is coming nearer. 
I've noticed that as well.   It seems to happen so quickly - wasn't it the summer solstice just last week?   Today a big basket arrived that I ordered to hold Paul and Chula's toys and it is too small!   This basket was a major part of my plan to keep a tidy apartment - oh well.   

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@ Handsome Kitty

I have done that the nights my headache wasn't so bad.  It does make a difference in the morning and I still get a good nights sleep.

I put a small stuffed animal in the doorways of the rooms I want to stay open for the cats.  i.e. my bedroom closet - DH wouldn't think to check for kitties but also won't bother to move the small pillow out of the way to shut the door completely.  You could cover the damage with a small doorway rug whenever the land lord visits.

I've noticed that as well.   It seems to happen so quickly - wasn't it the summer solstice just last week?   Today a big basket arrived that I ordered to hold Paul and Chula's toys and it is too small!   This basket was a major part of my plan to keep a tidy apartment - oh well.   
There is no basket big enough for the kitties toys!  Even with half of them hidden under furniture.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Totally giving away my age here, but I have the oddest mental of Patrick sitting at the bottom of the door, going, ~swat~ "one ringy-dingy"  ~SWAT~ "two ringy-dingies.`

Those who get it...YOU'RE OLD TOO!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Traffic was terrible today! I literally just got home and ate food. Now I have to put on my volunteer t-shirt and head to petsmart.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

Traffic was terrible today! I literally just got home and ate food. Now I have to put on my volunteer t-shirt and head to petsmart.
How did the volunteering go?  Any danger of bringing home another cat?  

I'm having a hard time falling asleep and am trying to decide if I should give up and go do something useful - like paperwork.  I've got a ton of medical insurance claim forms to go through but don't know if that will put me to sleep or terrify me into wakefulness for the rest of the night.  

Status
Not open for further replies.