Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Take the pictures in natural bright light. Noy direct light. No flash. Takes some getting used to.

Usually those hardware things are plug n play. Just plug in and computer installs drivers.
I have to manually install the drivers, which is okay but I can't figure out the paper cartridges.  
   Also, it has faxing capability and I'm afraid in setting it up, I'll screw up my internet.  Believe it or not, I am not really a technology dolt but for some reason this device has me stumped.  

The photos I've taken of prints were in natural bright light so the exposures were okay but the digital images weren't as sharp as the prints.  Still, they are better than nothing. 

I have the same problem with pics of Merlin and Goku. (Merlin got bitten by a poisonous snake and it killed him, and Goku died of old age.) And Grandmother's dog, Sissy (whose passing is a long and convoluted story that I won't go into here.)
I'm sorry to hear about your lost babies.
  I bet there are a lot of people out there in the same boat we're in.  

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View media item 351423
View media item 351424
After the ice drop broke in the freezer, AWM put the plate in the sink to thaw (she has sensitive teeth). This is what it looked like thawed:

View media item 351425
In case you forgot (or didn't read the post) the minion is made of lemon Starburst, blue raspberry Airheads, Tootsie Roll, white discount Smarties (I couldn't find a package of Smarties in the store with two white pieces in it), and black licorice. Now, I maintain that is one very deformed minion. AWM says I'm being too hard on myself, because that minion is, indeed, recognizable as a minion. (AWM's a big fan of Despicable Me

My question is: Who do you think is more right? AWM or Me?

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:wow: I'm very impressed tallyollyopia tallyollyopia ! That's a very recognisable Minion :nod: You're being way too hard on yourself. He's fractionally deformed, at worst ;) and definitely tons better than I could ever hope to do :worship: The ice drop is incredible too :clap:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
K, guys...tomorrow is hearing day for my disability!  Keep fingers crossed, say little prayers, or whatever...  I'm nervous as a cat about this.  The main thing would be getting the early medicare in addition to my medicaid, and if I have disability, my local public transport will take me to the grocery store for free.  I'd have to go very early and get done quickly, but that's ok.  I could go every week and actually get more fresh produce in my diet.  With only monthly trips, I tend to go frozen.

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The cookout is over. Now I just have a mess to clean. Why do I do this to myself? Oh yeah, because I love being with my family.

catladyvettech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's so wonderfully hot here in Sacramento, CA. I love the heat and 95 degrees is a perfect temperature for me. I've been reading outside and was thinking of going for a swim but then the family I share the yard with came home and jumped in the pool. Darn them! I was looking forward to a dip. Guess I'll just have to wait them out...

margd

Veteran
Purraise

K, guys...tomorrow is hearing day for my disability!  Keep fingers crossed, say little prayers, or whatever...  I'm nervous as a cat about this.  The main thing would be getting the early medicare in addition to my medicaid, and if I have disability, my local public transport will take me to the grocery store for free.  I'd have to go very early and get done quickly, but that's ok.  I could go every week and actually get more fresh produce in my diet.  With only monthly trips, I tend to go frozen.
Good luck with this.  I really hope the hearing goes well.  When do you learn the decision?  That free public transport to the grocery store is a tremendous benefit.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Good luck with this.  I really hope the hearing goes well.  When do you learn the decision?  That free public transport to the grocery store is a tremendous benefit.

I have no clue when the decision will be available.  I did talk with my lawyer on Saturday (yes, he called me on Memorial Day Weekend just to make sure I was feeling confident and not fretting!), and he says that even if this appeal goes against us, we have more avenues to explore.  This is good news, because as long as the process is active, I won't lose my Medicaid, and I couldn't afford my meds without it.  And you are right...the grocery trips would mean..well...I'd still do all the staples once a month with Mike, but I could get little THINGS inbetween...salad...bell peppers...squash...drool

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Any zoomie races with cats pasting themself in to the walls yet?   When I changed from carpet to vinyl with my 2 tabby girls within a week they had managed to slide right across the room and splatter in to the wall several times before they got the hang of how to hang on to the slippery surface.  
     They also had a terrible habit of helping with painting and had a number of baths to clean up.  The new kitchen vinyl had lovely little green paw prints on it from snowleopard jumping up on a newly painted bit of woodwork then down on to the flooring that had only been down a week.  Paws carefully cleaned up but to clean the vinyl would have lifted off the surface so I just had to live with them - it looked really funny.    Mouse is almost as bad - he got quite a bit of quite matt wall paint down his sides when I was painting my sitting room a couple of years back and I had to wash it off quickly before he tried to lick away.
I have totally been worrying about this. So far no. But they are wrestling with the drop cloths for the paint so that is a bit annoying. They're both so wild. Angua really makes Carrot play like a kitten.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

OMG, what a coincidence.  I have these exact same plates (and bowls)  !!!!!  What are the chances?  In our house, this is actually our old set now, but still. 

the Minion is adorable, BTW
Thank you about the minion. Our plate, bowl, and saucer set came from a church sale last year, and it's our newest. (Dishes tend to get broken on a pretty regular basis around here.)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953

I have a girl friend who has been through the disability process. After two years of being rejected and reapplying (with a lawyer), she finally was given a hearing. Although federal law allows judges 60 days to render a decision following a hearing, she received her approval within four weeks.

My understanding is that once you are granted the actual hearing, you're almost guaranteed an approval, as it's been through the system already. In fact, her benefits then started very quickly thereafter.

They did put her through a confusing but short phase following her aporoval of suggesting that she appoint someone to handle things for her, which she declined, saying it was unnecessary, as she is of sound mind to handle her own money. I think that was just a required part of the process. She was then sent Medicare paperwork at the same time that her benefits began.

Although the hearing officer (usually a judge) has latitude to ask lots of questions and request more proof and can ask to hear from medical professionals, he did not in her case, and she suffers severe depression, along with back problems.

My older sister whizzed through the process as well due to having only 30% heart function, as did another friend with pancreatic cancer.

i wish you luck tomorrow!

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am thankful most of the painting is now on the top half of the walls, except that painting is hurting my wrists. Typing all day and then painting is not great for the wrists.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am thankful most of the painting is now on the top half of the walls, except that painting is hurting my wrists. Typing all day and then painting is not great for the wrists.
That sounds painful. 
 I hope you finish the painting soon so your wrists stop hurting! 

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Pixie had a good line in howls when he was younger - he used to 'sing' along to sirens when police cars etc came within earshot. Leah copied him one day, and looked SO surprised at the sound that came out of her mouth
They're both pretty defensive/territorial about the house though - I pity any burglar that dares to venture in here. Pixie isn't proactive (just stays put and growls), but Leah will charge at people, growling and barking like crazy. She's way better than any doorbell though

No digital pictures but I have tons of prints from 35 mm camera days.  (This was a long time ago)  One of these days, I'm going to digitize them all.  She really was a great dog and my devoted buddy for years.  She had this tremendous howl that would rise and fall like the Hound of the Baskervilles and I'm convinced kept us from being burgled more than once.  Of course, had anyone actually broken in, she would have greeted them like they were her long lost best friend.  
Don't get rid of your paper pictures. Even better if you have the negatives. Who knows what kind of technology will overtake us. Remember  78 records, hardly anyone has a device to play those. Or any records. Same with cassette tapes. I just "inherited" a bunch of  cassettes from 1978 with my father's voice talking about his life and he was born in 1897, yes, century before last.. I do still have the cassette recorder I used in college to record lectures, so this is going to come in handy to transfer all of this into print after taking it down on the computer and then translating it into English so my kids can read it. Paper pictures and written records will still be good 100 years from now if properly taken care of, your tapes and other electronic media will be outdated and there may not be any way to look at your precious pictures if all you have is an electronic signal that nobody has a device that can read it. 

I do hope Pixie and Leah are or were dogs, I would hope your cats don't bark.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Is anyone else having problems with this site? Whenever I type anything here the cursor gets stuck and won't move no matter what I do or the screen suddenly shows stuff from farther up or goes up and down, very annoying. i don't have that problem anywhere else, just here, and it does not matter which thread I'm on, or trying to send a private message. 

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It may be time for me to crack out my wrist braces. This barely ever happens, but it does happen sometimes like now. Wrist braces really help.
I can't wear wrist braces--for some reason they make my arms swell and become unable to bear any kind of touch or pressure on them. (Don't know why, and don't really care.) I'm glad they work for you and you'll be able to finish your painting with minimum pain. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:spit: :crackup: :flail: (VERY glad I hadn't just had a mouthful of my morning coffee! :lol3: ) Pixie and Leah are dogs - the ones in the pic I posted in this thread a day or two ago ;) Pixie does a very good line in 'purring' though :catguy: :D

margd

Veteran
Purraise

Don't get rid of your paper pictures. Even better if you have the negatives. Who knows what kind of technology will overtake us. Remember  78 records, hardly anyone has a device to play those. Or any records. Same with cassette tapes. I just "inherited" a bunch of  cassettes from 1978 with my father's voice talking about his life and he was born in 1897, yes, century before last.. I do still have the cassette recorder I used in college to record lectures, so this is going to come in handy to transfer all of this into print after taking it down on the computer and then translating it into English so my kids can read it. Paper pictures and written records will still be good 100 years from now if properly taken care of, your tapes and other electronic media will be outdated and there may not be any way to look at your precious pictures if all you have is an electronic signal that nobody has a device that can read it. 

I would never get rid of my prints, slides and negatives for all the reasons you mention.  I know Kodachome 64 slides have a terrific record for maintaining true color over many decades.  As for turntables and cassette players  - I had both until I moved two years ago but I didn't have space for anything more than my CDs so reluctantly left everything else behind.  Fortunately I didn't have any family stories on them - that's really cool that you have your father's voice on tape.  I wish I did.  

Is anyone else having problems with this site? Whenever I type anything here the cursor gets stuck and won't move no matter what I do or the screen suddenly shows stuff from farther up or goes up and down, very annoying. i don't have that problem anywhere else, just here, and it does not matter which thread I'm on, or trying to send a private message. 
I was having problems with the site a few days ago but not the same thing you describe.  I don't blame you for getting annoyed.  It sounds extremely frustrating!  

Status
Not open for further replies.