Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am having my volunteer training tonight. I'm excited to meet the cats at the adoption center. I'm sure it will be interesting.
I used to volunteer at the SPCA, before the building burned down, and I worked with the cats. There was this one cat that almost broke my heart. See, the policy was that every cat would get some time out of the cage and allowed to roam, run, and stretch, every day. This one cat, a gray tom called 13 (Not the shelter's fault, he arrived with the name), was absolutely terrified  to leave his cage. No one knew why; he was brought to the shelter (rescued from a dog breeder--and I didn't ask for details), went into his cage, and dug in all four feet and twenty claws whenever it came to be his time to leave the cage. (He was forced out anyway--not by me--by well-intentioned people who thought he'd do better to get out of the cage every now and then. (Still don't know if they were right; still don't know what the right thing to do was. Still, 13 got adopted before I stopped working there.)

And then there are those of us who are allergic to shellfish. I can't eat any of those critters, they make me sick until I think my toes will come up. But just regular fish, oh yes. Halibut and Torbut and Salmon, Swordfish Steaks, Sea Bass, fresh Tuna Steaks oh yum,  also fresh Trout cooked in butter until its skin turns blue. And don't let me forget smoked Eel and smoked Salmon, kippered Hering. All this and I'm a person who was raised inland, far way from any ocean. But we did get all these fish in the stores. Now that I live in Calif I actually can get fewer of these fish, there is no demand for them . Most people would rather eat shellfish including abalone and calamari which give me the willies just to look at.
When I was kid, I went to this one family reunion at a fish farm (fish spring?) where the campers were allowed to eat all the fish they could catch, and the streams were restocked from the nurseries every day. So we had fish every day. We had fish for breakfast, for lunch for dinner. We had grilled fish, broiled fish, bargequed fish, fried fish, fish wrapped in foil and buried in coals. We had fish mixed with scrambled eggs, fish fillets on buns, fish cut into strips and fried like french fries. I can't stand fish anymore. Used to love it though. 

davey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh do not think it was the cat who did that...
as a teen my socks and change would vanish. Then when we went to move I saw a bunch of quarters lined up in the center under my bed.
Gremlins, monsters...IDK. But cats protect us so all they can do is make us blame our cat for bad things in hopes we will send the cat away.
If we did, we may disappear too! :O

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So training at the adoption location was strange but good. There are two cats there right now. One is called Harley. He is a large black persian mix who is supposedly four  (he acts way older). He's very confident but also is a grumpy cat. Does not like being picked up. The other is a 9 month old cat who looks a lot like Angua and is terrified. She sits in the corner and enjoys being played with and petted as long as it happens in this corner. She had a litter of kittens but they all died. 

I am optimistic about these cats and volunteering.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Artie has about 4 small sponge balls in the 'black hole"..I do not know what happened to them!  Personally, I think he has a hidden transporter to send them into another world....

His annoying habits are: he yowls when he wants something! He yowls when he wants to go into my closet, to check it out. Sometimes he goes in and out...

Another annoying habit: I have to keep junk on top of the refrigerator because he loves to jump on the counter, then the top of the refrigerator and then on top of the cabinets, ending up in the "L" shaped area....:wife:   
Then he is afraid to jump down!!  The tops of the cabinets are messy, yucky because I cannot reach to clean them.. with my knee I cannot climb a ladder. The step stool is too low. 

So there we are with me pointing at him to jump down; Artie giving me back talk; Artie trying to jump down, but is afraid---it is maddening!! :argh:         I have to some how get the broom (hate to do that) push him over to the refrigerator, make him jump on top of it, and then have to somehow stand on my toes to reach him, and he is meowing the entire time!!!   :smshfrk:      :doh3:

crazy cat!!

Omg my cat Kiwi hoards her toys in random places in our house. Most often inside the couch (the cats tore a hole in the thin lining under it and they use that as a hideout/toy storage area) and inside my parent's box-spring under their bed (they also tore a hole in the thin lining on the bottom and they hide stuff in there too) and she also pushes stuff (milk rings and paper balls and such) under the humidifier. My mom rolled the humidifier to the side once and found her stash and Kiwi came running into the room with this look on her face that just said "What have you done!?"

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
   @dorimon  Are you sure it was the cat who 'vanished' that parot in to a black hole and not some frusty human tortured by the racket it made?  

@NewYork1303   That first training session at the shelter sounds 'interseting'.  
  I hope all goes well and you enjoy it there.

Time for me to head off to work for today:  it's hard as Mouse has been doing zoomies on and off since we got up and it would be fun to stay home a bit longer.

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Happy Friday! Does anyone have fun plans for this weekend?

Today I'm going to help with a yard sale and then clean out our shed. Tomorrow we're cleaning and organizing the storage unit. It's amazing how quickly it gets to be a mess during the winter. Sunday we'll be going to church and then possibly visiting. Monday we're having a cookout.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Friday and working=taking 3 days off. They wanted me to work the weekend but there are some yardsales I go to every memorial day weekend Saturday for years now. I thought about working sunday but naa I rather have some time off.

The cats love stuffing toys under the **** and oven. They think its funny and come running when they hear the scrap of the broom handle under the **** pulling out those mice and balls. And dust,. yuck, I should pull out the **** once a year but I never do. I think Jon does during the day-he is always cleaning something. He told me one day I am going to come home and find all the junk gone. Of course I don't think its junk-I told him your side of the bedroom has stuff piled up ontop of the dresser-I even cleaned out another dresser for him to use and nope he didn't want to use it...funny how we are.

I hope to get more gardening done but its supposed to be so hot-I still have plants in 6 packs but I hate transplanting when its this hot. Monday we are supposed to get rain so I will do it then. Just wanted to get it done before. My strawberry plants have strawberries on them! I didn't get a chance to water them yet since Wed night but it was sprinkling this morning when I left for work. maybe we will get some rain but not likely. going to be hot and sticky 87 today and 92 tomorrow. and we haven't got the ac in-but I bet you tomorrow Jon will get it mounted in the window-he grumbled last night because it was hot.

I told him pretend you are on that 22 day naked and afraid adventure-we have been watching this show-I only wish I had those skills-I always liked boy scout type things and being self sufficient. He was grumbling that he isn't going to sit in the heat...men! but other days he says no don't turn the ac on-MEN!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the weekend, we should be finishing the floor. Hopefully, since Angua is really stressed. She's been playing really aggressively with Carrot, hasn't hurt him, but what she's doing isn't normal. She is also picking at her toenails more than normal. I hope we can get everything back to normal (relatively normal) soon. I may have to invest in some feliway otherwise. 

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope everyone has a wonderful and blessed day.

For those who celebrate Memorial Day (not sure if it's just a US holiday) I hope you have a safe weekend.

For everyone who has lost family members in the military (all over the world), you are in my thoughts and prayers. 

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
kntrygrl256 kntrygrl256

I was under the impression that memorial day wasn't until the 30th? At least that's what my calendar says. Or are you just talking about memorial day weekend???

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
not sure why it starred out under the "*friggg"= refrigerator-I call it frigg for short-sorry it wouldn't let me edit-cant wait to get out of here-slow day and most people have left already. playing some rock music listening to metallic Enter Sandman album.

Its getting muggy and the guys don't like the heat.

For the weekend probably yard sales tomorrow for 2 hours then breakfast. then back home and put ac in window then watch a movie for Jon and I will read. once sun goes down-water my gardens and pull weeds. I hope to get some more weeding done and plant my flowers in the flower pots-already bought dirt so its ready to go=just need to collect some rocks for the bottom of the pots-and a nice relaxing 3 days off.

Last edited:

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@kntrygrl256

I was under the impression that memorial day wasn't until the 30th? At least that's what my calendar says. Or are you just talking about memorial day weekend???
Memorial Day is May 30th. Most people celebrate the whole weekend it seems. I won't be around again until Tuesday so I wanted to send greeting before I left today. 

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Have safe travels, @kntrygrl256  !

Yes, Memorial Day is officially on May 30th. It has now turned into the long Monday Holiday..meaning it is celebrated on the closest Monday to it.

I am not doing anything. Cemetery on Saturday, and Sunday I volunteered for the last feeding/cleaning shift at the humane society/Petsmart.

Rest of the time, washing clothes, just stuff around here...

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I hope everyone has a wonderful and blessed day.

For those who celebrate Memorial Day (not sure if it's just a US holiday) I hope you have a safe weekend.

For everyone who has lost family members in the military (all over the world), you are in my thoughts and prayers. 
"Memorial Day  is a federal holiday  in the United States for remembering the people who died while serving in the country's armed forces."

(Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Day)

:)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad used to take mom and I to the cemetery on Monday for the parade. Every year it has always been super hot. I didn't like the heat and was a typical whiney girl but once we got home I could stay inside and the kitchen was the coolest room in the house.

I haven't been to a parade etc in ages. Maybe because I am not too keen on groups of people. I can tell I have gotten cranky the older I get. But on the other hand some things that used to bother me don't bother me anymore.

This morning the cats had a fight. I woke up to someone screeching. I have 3 cats and the only ones I saw when I jumped up were pumpy with her ears back and Floey facing her. I don't know if honeybee was being a pill. Its been a long time since the girls have screamed at each other. I still don't know what the problem was. but there was some fur on the floor that Jon picked up-It could have been Floeys fur. I wonder if she was laying down and pumpy walked past and Floey got cranky. You would think they were killing each other. I hate it when I don't know what happened.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Monday is celebration of Memorial Day. They hold a ceremony in our county seat by the courthouse and flag. I think we might actually go this year. Certainly, we do need to honor all of our military.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad used to take mom and I to the cemetery on Monday for the parade. Every year it has always been super hot. I didn't like the heat and was a typical whiney girl but once we got home I could stay inside and the kitchen was the coolest room in the house.

I haven't been to a parade etc in ages. Maybe because I am not too keen on groups of people. I can tell I have gotten cranky the older I get. But on the other hand some things that used to bother me don't bother me anymore.

This morning the cats had a fight. I woke up to someone screeching. I have 3 cats and the only ones I saw when I jumped up were pumpy with her ears back and Floey facing her. I don't know if honeybee was being a pill. Its been a long time since the girls have screamed at each other. I still don't know what the problem was. but there was some fur on the floor that Jon picked up-It could have been Floeys fur. I wonder if she was laying down and pumpy walked past and Floey got cranky. You would think they were killing each other. I hate it when I don't know what happened.
I can relate totally to feeling more like a cranky old lady the older I get (and I'm only 39!). Also can relate to other things just not bothering me nearly as much. I also (as recently as within the last year) stopped wanting to be out really late. I hate it actually. If I'm home by 10pm, it feels late. I went out last Saturday and getting home at 10:45 felt SOOOO late. The last few years before this started, I would be going out 1-2 times every week (sometimes more) and be out regularly till 1-2am. Sometimes later.

As for the cats, omg, I totally have woken up to screaming before. Not in awhile now, as it was usually Sara who would scream because the other kitties wanted to play with her (and she was a grumpy old lady herself who didn't want any part of that). I occasionally wake up to Maple hissing at the other ones though. Oliver gets particularly lovey-dovey in the morning when he knows he'll be fed soon, and likes to rub his head on Maple. And she doesn't want any of that (another grumpy old lady).

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Dealing with a broken solar water heater here, so I think I deserve to be cranky
.  Nothing like getting up to potty in the middle of the night and finding wet where there shouldn't be any (and behind closed doors so you know it's NOT the cats 
)    Oh well, though, what are you gonna do.  The EcoDry folks are here working on cleaning up the water before mold can set in, and the insurance adjuster has already been here too, so now we just wait for all the tiles and grout and what's left of the inside of the walls to dry and then reconstruction will begin.  At least the beautiful mural l had painted on my wall survived (the opposite side of that wall is now down to bare studs
).  So, all in all, I guess we lucked out. 

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Dealing with a broken solar water heater here, so I think I deserve to be cranky
.  Nothing like getting up to potty in the middle of the night and finding wet where there shouldn't be any (and behind closed doors so you know it's NOT the cats 
)    Oh well, though, what are you gonna do.  The EcoDry folks are here working on cleaning up the water before mold can set in, and the insurance adjuster has already been here too, so now we just wait for all the tiles and grout and what's left of the inside of the walls to dry and then reconstruction will begin.  At least the beautiful mural l had painted on my wall survived (the opposite side of that wall is now down to bare studs
).  So, all in all, I guess we lucked out. 
This is always the worst. My aunt recently had hers go as well. We had one go a long while ago that took out part of a wall and a lot of the floor. Thank goodness for insurance.

catladyvettech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
View media item 350586Poor little Ivy had a rough day yesterday. She had to spend 9 hours in the vets. I noticed she was having trouble urinating, so I took her in and they kept her until she peed. She waited until 10 minutes before closing to go. At least she didn't have to stay overnight.

She has blood in her urine and infection. She did this the exact same time last year, so they believe it is stress related. This is the time of year we are away more, as we go camping and lots of family birthdays, etc.

She has pain meds and antibiotics, so hopefully she gets better quickly.
How's Ivy doing? I really love that picture by the way. Looks like a great cat hangout spot. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.