Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

You all want cute kitten pics. This is my baby. I still need a name for her she will be four weeks old on Tuesday. I will try to get more pics of her and her brothers and sister today. 
Yup. That's one seriously adorable kitten.

On a totally different note: I'm from Boston, live in South Carolina. I can't understand half of what people say to me because the accent is so strong.

"Cut off the light" means switch off the light. This expression totally stumped me for a little bit. My co-workers love the way I say butta, watta, and cah. Haha, they sound funny to me too.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I still remember seeing European jeans when shopping at the Mall of America one time. I think a size 12 might have fit someone that typically weighs a size 0 here :slant: I am getting on the "standardize women's clothing sizes" bandwagon as well!

Oh, and kitten pics! This is Oscar and Oliver (I think in that order) the day I brought them home, after I'd gone to pick up some toys a friend was giving to me. I look at them now and still can't believe they both fit in one hand at that time.

View media item 344156

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat would eat a hammock like that. He loves to take apart strings to try eating them. I found him pulling threads from a blanket once.
It seems like fewer and fewer people are having funerals nowadays. Is it due to costs, more secular societies, or more cremations?
My dad's side of the family doesn't believe in funerals. At most family members go hang out at someone's home and talk, but nothing like a formal funeral.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad's side of the family doesn't believe in funerals. At most family members go hang out at someone's home and talk, but nothing like a formal funeral.
Yeah, same on my mom's side. At least not in recent years anyway. My one uncle didn't have a formal funeral, his family up in SD just got together and probably drank beer and whiskey (because that's what he would have done). My aunt (aforementioned uncle's wife) died before he moved to SD, and there was a memorial service of sorts, and then lunch at a restaurant, but no formal funeral. Mom already said she doesn't want a funeral. And I've said I want to be cremated, and then there will be a life celebration. No wakes or funerals.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, same on my mom's side. At least not in recent years anyway. My one uncle didn't have a formal funeral, his family up in SD just got together and probably drank beer and whiskey (because that's what he would have done). My aunt (aforementioned uncle's wife) died before he moved to SD, and there was a memorial service of sorts, and then lunch at a restaurant, but no formal funeral. Mom already said she doesn't want a funeral. And I've said I want to be cremated, and then there will be a life celebration. No wakes or funerals.
My personal policy is cremation or green burial and then surviving relatives can decide if they want to hold a funeral, or life celebration, or whatever. I think what happens after death is really for those still living. When I'm dead, it won't matter to me.

On a happier note, I just ordered my cats these walking jackets: 

http://www.hyendry.com/Hyendry_cat_walking_jackets_and_harness.html

I bought the ones that have velcro closures & buckle closures so they have less ability to escape.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a kitty harness that is very similar to the walking jacket. It works great. Mingo can't get out of it but it provides freedom of movement. He's black and the harness is tiger striped, so he looks very handsome, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I just found out it's Shakespeare's 400th death anniversary and it's a huge deal, apparently. I guess it would have been nicer had we known his actual birthday so his 400th birthday could be the cause for celebration (or maybe that'll happen in 2067?).

I whipped up a new blog post with 7 Shakespeare quotes and matching cat photos. Uncanny matches, some of them, if you ask me. If you could please help share these around on Twitter and Facebook, that'll be awesome! Just post the link to your Facebook page if it's not too much trouble - thanks! 

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/7-shakespeare-quotes-matched-up-with-beautiful-cat-pictures

You can also share from our Facebook page -

Likes, shares and comments would be appreciated as well!

Here's one - 

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a great idea! I shared on Facebook, but I could swear there's a puppy in one of those photos. Or a kitten with a funny nose.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems like fewer and fewer people are having funerals nowadays. Is it due to costs, more secular societies, or more cremations?
Yes.  All of the above.

Cremation is cheaper than burial, for starters, and it's hard to know what to say at the funeral of an atheist or agnostic.

Also, families can be scattered all over the country or the world.  My mother, who died two months ago, had no remaining siblings, and my father was already dead.  I have two brothers.  One lives in southern California; one in Oregon; and I live in Colorado, 2000 miles away.  I have informed my aunts and cousins who live in Colorado (all on my father's side), and they were all sorry to hear about her death, but there are no plans for a memorial service, and neither of my brothers are planning one either.  I have neither the time nor the resources to do this on my own.  I'm a Unitarian Universalist, which is a religion my mother would have been comfortable with, but my minister had never even met my mother, which makes it hard for her to come up with an appropriate funeral service.  I'm not even asking her to.  My friends are aware of my loss and there for me, and I honor my mother in my heart.  A memorial service wouldn't really be helpful to me.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What a great idea! I shared on Facebook, but I could swear there's a puppy in one of those photos. Or a kitten with a funny nose.
There is.  It's the quote from "Merchant of Venice" about Nature having framed strange fellows.  The puppy among the kittens (all the same size and with basically the same coloration) is what makes the picture work with the quote.

As for a kitten with a funny nose, you never know.  I saw a YouTube video the other day about a cat who gave birth at the same time as some ducklings hatched (in an incubator -- no mother duck around).  Small and fluffy, just like her kittens, so she decided they were part of her litter.  The strange thing is that the ducklings latched on and nursed just like the kittens, despite the fact that their beaks clearly aren't made for it.  Then, of course, they outgrew the mother cat (not to mention the "other" kittens), but they continued to look to her as Mom and followed her around just as they would a mother duck.  One has to wonder how the mother handled it when her adopted kittens took to the water.  Babies need a mother to imprint on, and they'll take whatever they can get.

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SIGH...my new tracfone came today.  I did not want a new tracfone.  I do not need a new tracphone.  I, in fact, asked them not to send the new tracfone.  All I wanted when I called them (the stupy people at tracfone) was to know if there was any way to retrieve the two photographs I have saved in my text messages.  That they could not tell me.  But they sent the blasted new phone.  I don't even know anyone who wants a tracphone!  I'm certain I'll end up sending the dratted thing to the phone recycle people.    Is there some reason that people do not listen when you tell them, "NO DO NOT SEND THE WRETCHED PHONE!"?  There is one small silver lining...the box the phone came in, while too small for Hekitty to really lie in, is just the right size to store several small items that I want to keep but am tired of looking at for now.  Sheesh.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
The sun came out! It was drizzling earlier. It feels kind of strange; kind of the sun wanting to warm things up, but the ocean wants to cool it down. It also feels kind of raw outside.. dampish..

I do not like this dampish feeling. It gets me feeling cold yet warm..hard to explain.

Does anyone else know what I am talking about? You want to open the windows, but the rawness comes in and makes it feeling chilly. 

Maybe it is me with the hypothyroid and the Reynauds. Hands and feet cold, chilling in the core of me, but kind of warm outside. 

I am not sick, or it could be my allergies making me feel this way. Also very tired.

Woke up late. Late start. Had to go to the mall to exchange a shirt, and then drive up to the Vet hospital to pick up the compounded steroid for Artie. 

Came home feeling famished. I had some green tea and some peanuts. It was after 2pm when I arrived home. Too late for a lunch, yet too early for supper. 

Artie is hiding in his folded quilt tent; actually sleeping. 

I think I will take some clothes out of the dryer and put them away. 

Lazy day....The drive got me tired. It was only about 30 miles, one way. I drove 60 miles, round trip. 

I wanted to change my bed sheets, but I got a late start to the day. 

Tomorrow is another day!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's already starting to get so hot here in Florida! Then it stays hot for at least 6 months. I don't enjoy the heat as much as I did when I was younger. I really thought it would never cool down this past winter.

I watched the movie, "The Help," last night. It was free on some channel on TV. It is such a good movie - very thought-provoking!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

SIGH...my new tracfone came today.  I did not want a new tracfone.  I do not need a new tracphone.  I, in fact, asked them not to send the new tracfone.  All I wanted when I called them (the stupy people at tracfone) was to know if there was any way to retrieve the two photographs I have saved in my text messages.  That they could not tell me.  But they sent the blasted new phone.  I don't even know anyone who wants a tracphone!  I'm certain I'll end up sending the dratted thing to the phone recycle people.    Is there some reason that people do not listen when you tell them, "NO DO NOT SEND THE WRETCHED PHONE!"?  There is one small silver lining...the box the phone came in, while too small for Hekitty to really lie in, is just the right size to store several small items that I want to keep but am tired of looking at for now.  Sheesh.
You're making the mistake of thinking it's their job to listen to you and provide customer service, just because that's what they said the phone number was for.  They have their orders -- Send a new TracFone to all callers.  I gave up on TracFone several years ago, after they told me I had to provide a receipt for the minutes I'd bought or I couldn't use them.  They also put me on hold for hours, and then went home for the day without telling me.

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

You're making the mistake of thinking it's their job to listen to you and provide customer service, just because that's what they said the phone number was for.  They have their orders -- Send a new TracFone to all callers.  I gave up on TracFone several years ago, after they told me I had to provide a receipt for the minutes I'd bought or I couldn't use them.  They also put me on hold for hours, and then went home for the day without telling me.

Margret
There is that.  Well...there is ALWAYS that.  I do wonder, however, if the customer service rep even quite understood what I wanted.  It was quite evident that English was not her first language, or even the second or third.  And my ears are tricky, as well...perhaps I actually said yes to the tracfone thinking I was saying yes to something else entirely.  I haven't used tracfone for years, but I had the thing lying around with 0.03 minutes on it, charged, just because the clock's alarm on that particular phone was so loud that I knew it would wake me.  I had till June of this year before it expired and went inactive, so I thought I'd try to salvage the texts with Hekitty's baby pics on it, put 30 minutes on the phone send them to myself via email.  No such luck.  My phone is obsolete, and even with minutes on it, won't send.  But I have a fancy new one with a flippin camera that I'm going to throw out.  And no baby pics of my girl.  I wonder if my local computer guy can retrieve them for me?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Mad at myself. I was planning on stopping at the butcher's for a steak..But I forgot!!

too lazy to go back out...

Hate when I do that....

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

There is that.  Well...there is ALWAYS that.  I do wonder, however, if the customer service rep even quite understood what I wanted.  It was quite evident that English was not her first language, or even the second or third.  And my ears are tricky, as well...perhaps I actually said yes to the tracfone thinking I was saying yes to something else entirely.  I haven't used tracfone for years, but I had the thing lying around with 0.03 minutes on it, charged, just because the clock's alarm on that particular phone was so loud that I knew it would wake me.  I had till June of this year before it expired and went inactive, so I thought I'd try to salvage the texts with Hekitty's baby pics on it, put 30 minutes on the phone send them to myself via email.  No such luck.  My phone is obsolete, and even with minutes on it, won't send.  But I have a fancy new one with a flippin camera that I'm going to throw out.  And no baby pics of my girl.  I wonder if my local computer guy can retrieve them for me?
A lot of "customer service" jobs have been moved out of the country.

Your computer guy?  Possibly.  If not, there may be a place that specializes in repairing cell phones and tablets.  Here in Colorado we have a place named YouBreakWeFix.  Very good, very reasonably priced.  Your computer guy should be able to tell you where the best place is to take it.

Margret

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I've procrastinated long enough. Will have to try to mow the grass for the first time. My two-legged lawnmower borrowed $20 from me against the first mowing two weeks ago and disappeared. I will have to find someone else. Wish there was something good to watch on TV on Saturday nights. What do you watch on Saturdays? Father Brown is okay, and I love Inspector Lewis, but Inspector Morse died 20 years ago, so you know how old that is. Before cell phones. Doc Martin is into reruns. Did you see that the makers of Downtown Abbey are doing a series on Jamestown? It's filming right now.

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mad at myself. I was planning on stopping at the butcher's for a steak..But I forgot!!
too lazy to go back out...

Hate when I do that....
I feel your pain. I do that all the time. Heck, if I forget something in the house and am still in the driveway, I don't like to go back to get it. Lol. Once I'm gone, I'm gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.