Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence

I've been running around and packing.  I have done most of the stuff on my list.  Still need to clean out and replace litter in the box and put away my clean clothes.

@segelkatt   What will you call your wine?  Laguna Woods Loco?
Hadn't thought that far but I'll give it a thought now. According to law, here and elsewhere,  a private person can brew up 600 gallons of alcoholic beverages per year but cannot be sold or traded (but it can be given away). Wow, I could take a bath in that.

If I'm lucky and make wine out of the other 20 lbs or so of grapes I still have on the vine I would come up with maybe  5 gallons of wine although I doubt it will turn out to be that much. Heck, the stuff may be undrinkable. I will let you know how it turns out, this is my first attempt at wine making. That vine went crazy this year. The internet came up with all kinds of wine recipes including watermelon and tomato besides the usual apple, apricot and berry wines. Hmm, I wonder about rhubarb???  At one time I made it with cocoa and once with coffee, they turned out really good but it was really messy and had to be filtered over and over before it ran translucent like Kahlua, especially the chocolate. They would take overnight filtering and I used up a lot of coffee filters. But were they ever yummy. 

What I have done for years with great success goes as follows: take a gallon jar, fill with fresh fruit of your choice, soft fruit like peaches, apricots or berries and pitted cherries, add 4 cups of sugar, then fill it up with the cheapest vodka you can find. Let it sit for at least 5 months. Then strain through a fine sieve or a coffee filter and put in fancy bottles as gifts for Christmas. It makes a wonderful cordial or after-dinner drink. It will be sweet and many men don't like it because of that. The longer it sits before decanting the smoother it gets. It lasts practically forever and needs no refrigeration. The fruit itself is wonderful on ice cream or pound cake, please do not feed it to children as it is quite boozy.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's just one thing that stands in the way of us being able to just have Carrot, Angua, and Ruby all out at the same time all the time. This is the fact that Ruby wants to play with Angua and she's not ready. So Ruby jumps on her which makes Angua growl. Carrot is protective of Angua and will attack Ruby if she feels that Ruby is threatening Angua. So Angua growls and I grab him because every hair on his body starts to raise when he sees Ruby tackle Angua. 

It is a frustrating problem. 

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Watching the Olympics? During the day they are on like four channels. Have to say that the fascination with beach volleyball eludes me. Maybe you have to be a guy to appreciate those girls running around in bikinis.
I happened to tune in when the beach volley ball was on. I found the girls to be very athletic and really going for it . How else would you dress for beach volley ball? I guess living in Southern California I am used to this so I did not find it strange. What I DID find strange was that Beach Volleyball was even an Olympic Sport. I also was fascinated that this was in a  stadium, not at the beach which was just  steps away. Somebody is going up to clean up all that sand eventually, I'm glad it's not me.

Yeah, it's hard to get away from the Olympics, all three of the main channels, plus MSNBC, did I leave out anyone? I'm not interested in all of the sports so have to pick and choose and go to a movie channel or CNN or Ugh! FOX if I want to see anything else. Well, there are always the digital channels that show classic shows from the 70s and 80s or the ARTS channel. Or better yet, a good book. 

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ok, I'm here, have been looking at all kinds of stuff besides the site, particularly on how to make home made wine from all the grapes I have. I gave away probably twenty pounds because I didn't know what to do with the, I still have jam and jelly from last year so I was NOT going to make more of that. Then I picked another 20 lbs or so and gave some of that away and started looking on the net on how to make wine. Found one really simple recipe that you can also make with store bought juice, any kind of juice. Recipe is like this: Big glass jar, at least 2 gallon, 6 lbs grapes, 3 cups sugar, I gallon spring water. Put all in the big jar, stir well, cover with paper and let sit. Next day the fruit should start to float and tinny bubbles start. Stir well several times a day every day. After 3 days there should be lots of bubbles, keep stirring. After 5 days the bubbles should slow down, keep stirring. On day 7 strain the grapes and put the juice into narrow-necked bottles or jugs Put a balloon on the opening and poke it with a needle. Then let it sit for several months. The longer it sits the more of the sugar of the fruit will turn into alcohol. When it suits you it's ready to be decanted into bottles, can use old wine bottles as long as they are really clean, rinsed with bleach water and then air dry.

There are still more grapes on the vine. I will have to go to the thrift store and see if I can find some more jugs.   
Speaking as someone who's grandfather tried to make wine, whose father tried to make his own beer, and who has accidentally made blackberry cordial (I swear, I was going  to do something with that juice), I would like to point out something that your recipe doesn't mention but is imperative  is that your concoction must  be in a cool, dry place both during the initial fermenting and for the setting. Otherwise you get very, very bad vinegar--if you're lucky. (If you're not, the bottles will explode--no idea why.) Just thought I'd mention that.

There's just one thing that stands in the way of us being able to just have Carrot, Angua, and Ruby all out at the same time all the time. This is the fact that Ruby wants to play with Angua and she's not ready. So Ruby jumps on her which makes Angua growl. Carrot is protective of Angua and will attack Ruby if she feels that Ruby is threatening Angua. So Angua growls and I grab him because every hair on his body starts to raise when he sees Ruby tackle Angua. 

It is a frustrating problem. 
I can see how that would be frustrating. I guess time will fix it?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I have never made wine or even liked wine. I hope the experiment comes out tasty!

I can't get the Olympics. Directv dropped the local channel that has the Olympics. Or rather the local channel dropped Directv so no more Boston channel 7 or 56 which irritates me as there are a few shows only that channel has.

Last night was muggy and left the AC on 73 and woke up in a pool of sweat. This morning at 5:30 when I stepped out to dump the jug of water I filled up in the kitchen sink waiting for hot water for pumps breakfast it was pleasantly cool. I should have opened the windows. I will tonight if it isn't too sticky after sunset.

Was reading/watching a video on youtube about lymph massage and another about how to wake up the adrenal glands-it was interesting to hear them say that we eat too much protein. I have to say I have backed off on protein for this reason=I don't feel any different. I don't know if I should feel more energized or not-I do know I need to walk more-I am envious of those who have the patience to get 10,000 steps in a day. I could trot back and forth at work-but people will think I am insane. I only wish I could figure out a way to install a treadmill at my work station so I could walk on the treadmill while doing my work. That would make life so much easier. Then figure a way to build a hideaway so the off shift guys don't have to trip over the treadmill. That's the first thing our safety department will claim. That its a liability. we were supposed to get a gym on site for the workers and the lawyers shot it down saying people will use It as an excuse to claim workers comp despite it being on our own time like breaktime/lunch time or before/after our shift. This really boils my butt. This would make so much sense especially with all these nutrition workshops they keep trying to get us signed up for. Such Baloney-the other word, BS!!!!

on another note woke up with NO honeybee on me!! My girl slept in the window and pumps slept next to Jon.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

Ok, I'm here, have been looking at all kinds of stuff besides the site, particularly on how to make home made wine from all the grapes I have. I gave away probably twenty pounds because I didn't know what to do with the, I still have jam and jelly from last year so I was NOT going to make more of that. Then I picked another 20 lbs or so and gave some of that away and started looking on the net on how to make wine. Found one really simple recipe that you can also make with store bought juice, any kind of juice. Recipe is like this: Big glass jar, at least 2 gallon, 6 lbs grapes, 3 cups sugar, I gallon spring water. Put all in the big jar, stir well, cover with paper and let sit. Next day the fruit should start to float and tinny bubbles start. Stir well several times a day every day. After 3 days there should be lots of bubbles, keep stirring. After 5 days the bubbles should slow down, keep stirring. On day 7 strain the grapes and put the juice into narrow-necked bottles or jugs Put a balloon on the opening and poke it with a needle. Then let it sit for several months. The longer it sits the more of the sugar of the fruit will turn into alcohol. When it suits you it's ready to be decanted into bottles, can use old wine bottles as long as they are really clean, rinsed with bleach water and then air dry.

There are still more grapes on the vine. I will have to go to the thrift store and see if I can find some more jugs.   
I remember when I was very small, my neighbor had a small vineyard. It was actually a hanging trellis over a picnic table in the back yard.--real old time Italian guy, who learned the art from his immigrant family. 

I grew up in a predominately Italian city. Lots of second generation...

He would bottle the wine, and give it away. My dad always got some. It was the only wine he ever drank. 

I remember taking a sip or 2 or several, when he was not looking!! 
   I was about 6-7 years old at the time, or perhaps a bit younger. 

The old timers way of drinking it, remember it was a very long time ago, was to mix some with orange soda.. It was really good. I absolutely loved it!! I think it was the color and the mixture which intrigued me the most.

I guess that is when I developed my "taste' for wine.. way back, in my childhood.  

I know a friend of a friend is still making wine!! I do not know if it is up here or down in Florida. My friend lives down there. 

I would love to re-taste it again...It was so good. 

Years ago, there was a recipe for homemade Khalua which was floating around. At one point, I had the recipe, but never tried it. 

bootse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I Love a nice cold BEER on a hot day gave up Alcohol and Tobacco 17-18 yrs ago but man when it's hot can I go for a nice cold beer

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just called the vet in Concord MA to see pumpkin Face. I just would feel more comfortable getting blood work and her looked at before we leave on vacation. I don't think there is anything going on but maybe there is something else we can try to give her relief from arthritic pain. I am curious if pred would help her at this point until the dasquin kicks in.  She has been very easy to pill but really hates the liquid gaba and eats tons of treats but not much food. I put down wet food last two nights and no one would eat it. She has been eating the better quality kibble when she eats. I have two dishes of two kinds. I change it daily incase the humidity is making it get moist and yucky.

Last night when giving treats we snuck in a few pieces of freeze dried treats and she wouldn't have anything to do with it. LOL. she nosed them out of the pile and only ate the temptations.

I am going to have them do senior blood work on her just to make sure everything is on par since we missed so much with Floey. I don't expect to find anything wrong. But at least this will take care of anything that could be creeping up. I haven't decided if we should do an ultrasound-she does have constipation but the miralax is working. Now if I could get her on wet food then life would be so much less stressful. She is loving it outside and sleeps in the grass out back in the shade under the lawn swing. Got to sprinkle some DE around the yard to kill any offending insects that could be using us for snack food. I wonder if it will kill mosquitoes. those suckers hurt!

I have to agree with the cold BEER on a hot day. Love my miller lite but hate canned beer-has to be a ice cold bottle and I put my beer on ICE in  a glass but because I am such a light weight I only drink 1/2 a cup and I am tipsy so I don't even bother anymore.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been approved to adopt Lily Potter! I am so excited! I will have to set up a room for her and make arrangements to pick her up, but I hope to get her today!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YAY!! That is GREAT!!!  I would love to adopt another fuzzball but I fear Pumps would NOT be amused. If we had more than 2 of us in the house then It could work but for now-I have to divide my time from Honeybee and Pumps. She was very friendly last night on the couch. She laid down on my arm and nuzzled my face for 15 minutes which makes me sneeze as she is short hair calico but her fur sheds like crazy and makes me itch and sneeze but she loves to rub her cheek against my cheek and then give me kitty licks! She is my baby and gets SO jealous when Honeybee is on my chest.

Tonight we will be trying to sleep on the couchbed as Jon is over his brothers for a few nights-pumps sleeps next to him but I wonder if she will sleep next to me? Poor Pumps will miss her daddy. Hopefully we can get through the week without anymore issues. All I have to do tonight is crunch time for the trash=dump the litter boxes and wash them out-then give the bedroom a good vacuum before we leave next week. I hate leaving the house a mess because when we come back I don't want to keep cleaning even though I do. I can't wait until vacation but I also loath the agrivation of packing and cleaning and making sure the **** is empty of perishables. I get more stressed out the closer we get to departure because every year no matter how many lists I make I always forget something.

The biggest issue is clothes=I keep bringing too many. This time I will only pack one small bag and shop the thrift stores for what I need. Oftentimes we hit yardsales and thrift shops so I have no problem finding something to wear. the only thing I always pack are my long sleeve button mens shirts and underclothes-there is a washer there so I can easily wash it and hang it on the deck to dry. Looks like Monday calls for rain-we go on Sunday. Cant wait to get away and just sit in the lake reading a book and getting suntanned. And riding the kayak in the middle of the lake then jumping in the water and swim around. This time with the time I have spent at the gym my endurance is getting better so we wont have to take so many breaks if we walk anywhere. Hopefully I can get him to walk down the dirt road where we are staying. I always wanted to poke around the lake roads to see the other homes and woods around us.

bootse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
YAY!! That is GREAT!!!  I would love to adopt another fuzzball but I fear Pumps would NOT be amused. If we had more than 2 of us in the house then It could work but for now-I have to divide my time from Honeybee and Pumps. She was very friendly last night on the couch. She laid down on my arm and nuzzled my face for 15 minutes which makes me sneeze as she is short hair calico but her fur sheds like crazy and makes me itch and sneeze but she loves to rub her cheek against my cheek and then give me kitty licks! She is my baby and gets SO jealous when Honeybee is on my chest.

Tonight we will be trying to sleep on the couchbed as Jon is over his brothers for a few nights-pumps sleeps next to him but I wonder if she will sleep next to me? Poor Pumps will miss her daddy. Hopefully we can get through the week without anymore issues. All I have to do tonight is crunch time for the trash=dump the litter boxes and wash them out-then give the bedroom a good vacuum before we leave next week. I hate leaving the house a mess because when we come back I don't want to keep cleaning even though I do. I can't wait until vacation but I also loath the agrivation of packing and cleaning and making sure the **** is empty of perishables. I get more stressed out the closer we get to departure because every year no matter how many lists I make I always forget something.

The biggest issue is clothes=I keep bringing too many. This time I will only pack one small bag and shop the thrift stores for what I need. Oftentimes we hit yardsales and thrift shops so I have no problem finding something to wear. the only thing I always pack are my long sleeve button mens shirts and underclothes-there is a washer there so I can easily wash it and hang it on the deck to dry. Looks like Monday calls for rain-we go on Sunday. Cant wait to get away and just sit in the lake reading a book and getting suntanned. And riding the kayak in the middle of the lake then jumping in the water and swim around. This time with the time I have spent at the gym my endurance is getting better so we wont have to take so many breaks if we walk anywhere. Hopefully I can get him to walk down the dirt road where we are staying. I always wanted to poke around the lake roads to see the other homes and woods around us.
. Sounds like when I used to relax down the trailer with my mom may she rest in peace I would wake up Four in the morning and perk some coffee the old fashion way on the stove and she would smell it and wake up then we would take our coffee outside I a meshed closed pavilion while it was still dark and just sit peacefully and stare into the new morning listening to crickets and sipping our coffee

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've been approved to adopt Lily Potter! I am so excited! I will have to set up a room for her and make arrangements to pick her up, but I hope to get her today!
That's great! 
 Congratulations!

In other news we have a new manager at my work...indefinately. (That's what they told us.) Which means I have to start from scratch establishing myself as someone she can't do without.
 (I also learned that my day off tomorrow might not exist, as she might have to call me in--along with a lecture on how she needs warning when we're scheduling days off. What about warning for us? Nobody  gave us  warning this was going down!) For the last twenty minutes of my shift today I wasn't even on  the register, since I was learning how new management wants things done with paperwork--and that we'll be getting brand new  paperwork to fill out each shift starting tomorrow. No idea what that's going to look like. Anyway, while someone else was running my register during this (since the customers didn't magically vanish while we were doing paperwork), the drawer got way, way  too high, so I ended up making a huge  drop--which earned me another lecture about safety and why I'm not supposed to let it get over a certain amount.
 I wasn't even the one on  the register when it got so high! The day started out so well too. For the first time since I started working there were no task sheets (dividing the labor of the store), so we divided it ourselves. It ran like clockwork. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

bootse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
. Sounds like when I used to relax down the trailer with my mom may she rest in peace I would wake up Four in the morning and perk some coffee the old fashion way on the stove and she would smell it and wake up then we would take our coffee outside I a meshed closed pavilion while it was still dark and just sit peacefully and stare into the new morning listening to crickets and sipping our coffee
@DreamerRose Congratulations on your Adoption with Lily Potter I saw her picture she is a Beautiful furrbaby here is an updated picture of my two babies minus Kira our eleven year old dogView media item 367378

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I brought Lily Potter home this afternoon. Mingo was very curious at the preparations – hey, that’s my old litter pan, hey, that’s my carrier. I put her into my bedroom, and he is even more curious. He tries to follow me in there every time I go, and scratches at the door while I’m in there. I let him take a peek, and his tail halfway fluffed up, so he will have to wait a while to see more of her. She is busy anyway exploring my bedroom. I am so happy to have her.  She had five kittens – Potter, Weasley, and Malfoy found homes. I don’t know what happened to Harry and Hermione. The vet said she was surprised that Lily didn’t go home first. She’s a lovebug.

View media item 367384

bootse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
DreamerRose DreamerRose . So BEAUTIFUL she is with such a pretty nam as Lily Potter and she looks so Happy to be in her new home again C O N G R A T U L A T O N S.
I brought Lily Potter home this afternoon. Mingo was very curious at the preparations – hey, that’s my old litter pan, hey, that’s my carrier. I put her into my bedroom, and he is even more curious. He tries to follow me in there every time I go, and scratches at the door while I’m in there. I let him take a peek, and his tail halfway fluffed up, so he will have to wait a while to see more of her. She is busy anyway exploring my bedroom. I am so happy to have her.  She had five kittens – Potter, Weasley, and Malfoy found homes. I don’t know what happened to Harry and Hermione. The vet said she was surprised that Lily didn’t go home first. She’s a lovebug.

View media item 367384

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
She is absolutely beautiful!!!

Congrats!!

Oh no!! I did it again.. but I am in time... so I kind of pass/fail the test?

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I really cannot get into the Olympics. Many years ago, I was addicted to them; now, I cannot just cannot even force myself into watching.

I think the multiple, on end commercials, and all the repeated background stories, just turned me off of them. If I do want to watch, I do not care for incessant talking. I want to enjoy the competition as it is happening. A little bit of explanation is good, not the constant banter and repeating of things. 

All the commercials really make me lose interest. As soon as I get interested in someone or something, a long, commercial comes on. 
I decided not to watch the Olympics this year when it was reported (in the DoDo, I think) that the City of Rio was systematically poisoning feral cat colonies near the airport to make the city look "cleaner and neater."  I'm not that into it.  Boycott! 

Hadn't thought that far but I'll give it a thought now. According to law, here and elsewhere,  a private person can brew up 600 gallons of alcoholic beverages per year but cannot be sold or traded (but it can be given away). Wow, I could take a bath in that.
Given that the standard bathtub holds 25 gallons of water, and that MOST people use only 15 (displacement), you could, should you desire, take 40 baths in that.  Although it wouldn't leave any for drinking 

I've been approved to adopt Lily Potter! I am so excited! I will have to set up a room for her and make arrangements to pick her up, but I hope to get her today!She's
She is absolutely beautiful, and I'm thrilled that she is home with you! 
   She is exactly what a torbie should be, CLASSIC!

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

She is absolutely beautiful!!!

Congrats!!
   What a gorgeous little kitty Lily Potter is.  Fingers crossed Mingo settles down and that fluffed up tail doesn't happen for too long.      Still, cute or super cute, it's important to remember and include 15 words or more in your posts everyone.   

This is a babbling thread afterall.  

I hate to admit it but I'm adicted to watching the Olympics.  I love watching all the swimming, diving, gymnastics, horse riding events and rowing: stuff you don't usually get much TV coverage of.   Not the only reason I've been on less though - my internet connection's been a bit unreliable for the last 24 hours.  

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish more people would adopt the mama kitties like Lilly and my new cat Ruby. They're so much better than kittens anyway since kittens are endlessly annoying and challenging to train
. There's a new mama cat at the adoption center that I volunteer at. I hope someone gives her a chance. She is so sweet. Too many people come and choose kittens not realizing how much work they're going to be. Three or four months later many of the kittens are returned for being to rambunctious. 

I'm sure that Mingo is going to love her once he gets used to her. 

smile123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know who got the 4,000,000 th post in the forum? Today I gave Cupcake a bath and she was not pleased, she smells like warm cinnamon and cat pee, is that the wet cat smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.