Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How long have you been using Alnutrin? I'm in the process of changing my cats from dry to wet. I eventually want to go with raw and was interested in the Alnutrin supplement. How do you like it?
I've been using Alnutrin for a little over a year now. I use the little pre-measured packets of Alnutrin. It also comes in a container and you just weigh out the correct amount to use. I'm not sure what caused the constipation
The cats have been eating NV since they were kittens. Never had a problem with Alnutrin since I started using it. It's probably a random one time thing

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I found canned pumpkin unclogs faster than Miramax but Miramax is more consistent with results. What does your vet say? I found that every other day works best. Otherwise its too soft. I give it in the morning with wet food. I use hot water in a cup add morale and stir until it dissolves then add to canned food.

Yesterday stunk. at the end of the day word spread around at work that one of our guys passed away. He used to work here but left in March for another job. But it wasn't a good death. It was the kind we all don't want to hear. We are heart broken and asking why. Some of us had family members do this same thing. We will never find out why.

My message today is simple and short=if you feel trapped/sad etc. please speak up. Please don't ever think this will solve the problem. You are never a burden to those who love you. Your family would rather have you alive and broken, crying and depressed than the alternative. This is not the first time I knew a close person to succeed. Its like a flashback now of prior times getting the news. This person has struggled with depression and even said in joking he was going to do it. but no one believed him. I am so very angry. After watching other people's soul completely change afterwards I beg you to rethink this. Do you hate your family so much that you would do this? I only hope that he is at peace but I know his family will never be at peace. Sorry for the dragging subject but I think its really important to tell people. If you see someone struggling-pick up the phone. check on them. I will be checking in with my friends I haven't talked to in awhile. Just check in and make sure they are ok. I don't know what else to say. I just know we all have family and we all have people and pets who love us. There is always a change in life. Nothing stays the same. Even if you feel trapped-it wont stay like that forever. I only hope we can help slow down this epidemic. Show kindness to someone-it may just be what they need the most.

Yesterday on Facebook I saw two more people loose close friends to this. Why is this happening? Why are we pushing people away so much? I only hope this message helps someone help another. My heart is heavy but I will be ok. I worry for the survivors. Will they ever stop blaming themselves? How do we stop this?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I found canned pumpkin unclogs faster than Miramax but Miramax is more consistent with results. What does your vet say? I found that every other day works best. Otherwise its too soft. I give it in the morning with wet food. I use hot water in a cup add morale and stir until it dissolves then add to canned food.
I haven't talked to the vet but he's has okayed using Miralax in the past.I've never tried canned pumpkin before but I think both cats would be ok eating it.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well sounds like it may work. some kitties lick it right out of the dish, others prefer it on your fingertip, and others don't like it at all. I have 1 who loves it. 2 who hate it. I switched to Miralax instead of pumpkin and I tried to use pumpkin yesterday and the one who doesn't like pumpkin didn't even touch the food. Of course I probably put too much in there. She licks the water and leaves the meat so I made it a bit stronger than regular. She licked the water the first time-then when I added more water and mash up some more-she wouldn't touch it. Fussy kitties. This is the same cat that wouldn't touch food with Miralax. unless I dissolve it completely.

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
foxxycat foxxycat . I'm sorry your hurting right now. It's a hard thing to understand how someone can be so sad, when we don't feel the same. I've known people who have tried and succeeded and some who have tried and failed. The ones that fail are forever a worry as you never know if they'll try it again.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes I do understand how they can get to this point. I do. I just ache for those who still floundering trying to make sense of a senseless world. I too have had both succeed and failed. I always worry about the ones who failed because we never know what is in their heads. Everyone at work is floored. Some people saw and spoke to them just in the past few days. My heart aches for the family left behind. I understand why they get to this point but we really need to up the funding for mental health. Depression is a deadly snake that lays in waiting for the perfect time to strike. I know because I have lived it. I saw my mother and grandfather try. One succeeded. One failed. Then having close friendships with other folks who succeeded. It broke my heart. Maybe I am meant to live forever with a broken heart. That's ok. Its like an old friend-I know what to expect and I don't get any surprises. I try to find pleasure in the simple things. A sunrise. A flower. Honeybee's sweet meow. Her snuggles. She snuggled with me for quite a while last night making biscuits on my chest. I try to remind myself things will change. And hope my bad mood doesn't affect other people..kind of faking it until I make it. Life is so much harder now than I remember growing up. We really need to band together and support one another in whatever is going on.

on a different note Jon sent me a photo of Honeybee and Floey sleeping side by side touching. This made my heart swell with good feelings. If only we could bottle it up and sell or give away to people who need help.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I shall order this for Her Nibs forthwith.  She will have a fit.

@foxxycat huh.  It appears that  "mention" function doesn't.  Another thing to explore...I am so sorry for the loss of your former co-worker.  Depression is a hideous snake. 

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence

I shall order this for Her Nibs forthwith.  She will have a fit.

@foxxycat huh.  It appears that  "mention" function doesn't.  Another thing to explore...I am so sorry for the loss of your former co-worker.  Depression is a hideous snake. 
I had not heard of this gadget but looked it up and Amazon had a "used" one which had a scratch on the side and was repackaged for $5.00 off so I ordered that, my cats won't care about the scratch, neither will I and my wallet likes another $5.00 staying in it.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I was near Petsmart this afternoon, so I went into the shelter area to see the little sick one, Sunshine.

I know the volunteer just left, but I had to....

She was so happy to have company!!! She started talking to me as soon as I came in the isolation room.

I had to take her out of her tiny cubbie. Sick as she is she still has some 'play' left in her. We played with one of those stick toys, but she wanted to be held..

I had to pick her up...she cuddled immediately. I sat down and held her on my lap. She was purring to beat the band, and kneading. She wanted to give me face kisses also...I noticed today that her previous owners did have all her teeth removed. Poor baby.. She also had a mammary tumor removed last month...The poor thing!!

I wish I could foster...but I really can't. My guy will not tolerate it. 

I reviewed all her medical records. 

This cat is so sweet. She really wanted to kiss and wash my face..she tried, but I am still wary of that. 

I had to vent and share this with people who understand how I feel. I am almost at a point, that if the shelter, under doctors advise, says that she is sick enough to leave us, I want to be there to show her love at during those last minutes....sigh...

I noticed her breathing was a bit labored today... 

I sent an e-mail to the president of the humane society, expressing my concerns. I hope I did not overstep my boundaries, (which I have a habit of doing), but this little girl has really gotten to me....sigh..

As soon as I put her back in her cubby, she started eating some food.. she just needs that love..

Last edited:

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

I was near Petsmart this afternoon, so I went into the shelter area to see the little sick one, Sunshine.

She was so happy to have company!!! She started talking to me as soon as I came in the isolation room.

I had to take her out of her tiny cubbie. Sick as she is she still has some 'play' left in her. We played with one of those stick toys, but she wanted to be held..

I had to pick her up...she cuddled immediately. I sat down and held her on my lap. She was purring to beat the band, and kneading. She wanted to give me face kisses also...I noticed today that her previous owners did have all her teeth removed. Poor baby.. She also had a mammary tumor removed last month...The poor thing!!

This cat is so sweet. She really wanted to kiss and wash my face..she tried, but I am still wary of that. 

I had to vent and share this with people who understand how I feel. I am almost at a point, that if the shelter, under doctors advise, says that she is sick enough to leave us, I want to be there to show her love at during those last minutes....sigh...

I sent an e-mail to the president of the humane society, expressing my concerns. I hope I did not overstep my boundaries, (which I have a habit of doing), but this little girl has really gotten to me....sigh..

As soon as I put her back in her cubby, she started eating some food.. she just needs that love..
I wept as I read this. Sorry. I am not heartless but the kindest thing for this poor girl is a merciful end in the arms of a caring human. your gift of being willing to be there for her is priceless.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

I wept as I read this. Sorry. I am not heartless but the kindest thing for this poor girl is a merciful end in the arms of a caring human. your gift of being willing to be there for her is priceless.
This made me cry, too. Poor dear little girl.  These stories just make me want to run in and gather up these little souls and cover them with love.  Kittens Mom is right - what you are doing for Sunshine is priceless.

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know what the shelter has planned for her. I know this shelter is a no-kill, but if her condition can be stabilized, then perhaps she can have another good year.

What I mentioned in my e-mail was that I read and completely understand the medical jargon. I told her that Sunshine has multiple cardiac anomalies, and right sided heart failure. I also told her that the x-ray reports said she had a lot of fluid in her belly, and some fluid in both of her lungs. I also told her that I noticed she was laboring a bit when she was breathing. I also said that she should be on lasix (fluid pill) and that I have not seen any pills or instructions for the pills. I also wanted them to find out when her next doctors appointment would be. I reminded the president that this baby had a mammary tumor removed last month ( we had it done) and her prior owners had all her teeth removed. 

Also mentioned that she is a cuddle bug, and that is all she wants. 

If I said too much, I could not help it. I just had to.. In my heart, I knew I had to...

This cat really wormed a hole in my heart. I really love her. 

I also mentioned that this girl does not have long to live. She needed the medication to feel comfortable. 

After this, I may not be allowed to volunteer anymore, but at least I spoke my mind.

Mentioned that the vet (whom I do not care for-did not say that), did order the meds. I said I go to a different VEt.

so God Help me..and my big mouth..

Last edited:

margd

Veteran
Purraise

I do not know what the shelter has planned for her. I know this shelter is a no-kill, but if her condition can be stabilized, then perhaps she can have another good year.

What I mentioned in my e-mail was that I read and completely understand the medical jargon. I told her that Sunshine has multiple cardiac anomalies, and right sided heart failure. I also told her that the x-ray reports said she had a lot of fluid in her belly, and some fluid in both of her lungs. I also told her that I noticed she was laboring a bit when she was breathing. I also said that she should be on lasix (fluid pill) and that I have not seen any pills or instructions for the pills. I also wanted them to find out when her next doctors appointment would be. I reminded the president that this baby had a mammary tumor removed last month ( we had it done) and her prior owners had all her teeth removed. 

Also mentioned that she is a cuddle bug, and that is all she wants. 

If I said too much, I could not help it. I just had to.. In my heart, I knew I had to...

This cat really wormed a hole in my heart. I really love her. 

I also mentioned that this girl does not have long to live. She needed the medication to feel comfortable. 

After this, I may not be allowed to volunteer anymore, but at least I spoke my mind.

Mentioned that the vet (whom I do not care for-did not say that), did order the meds. I said I go to a different VEt.

so God Help me..and my big mouth..
I think the rescue should be thrilled to have someone has experienced, knowledgeable and compassionate as you as a volunteer.    Hopefully they will recognize that, too.  I am in love with Sunshine myself from what you've written about her and she is lucky to have you as an advocate. 

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
You did what was right. Good for you. I hope someone in addition to you opens their heart to her.
thanks, all the volunteers are very compassionate people. They are there for 2 hours in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. Also the PetSmart employees do go into the shelter area and play with the kitties during their breaks. 

I get updates from the staff each time I go in. They always have a favorite cat..

no response back from the president, but it is still early...

If you guys feel this is too upsetting, please let me know. I just had to get it off my chest...and you guys are all so compassionate, and kind of understand where I am coming from...and kind of know what kind of a person I am...thanks.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Before RB left for Virginia, he brought home a cat that had been abandoned on his friend's street. (His friend found the cat because his dog--who thinks of cats as friends--brought the terrified little thing to him.) RB, thinking that we'd never even notice another cat (hah!) and not thinking that our kitties might not take kindly to the intruder, brought it here. It was a calico, and her previous owners had gotten her front paws declawed. (I have never believed in declawing and have been very vocal about it to anyone who brought the subject up.) The cat was also starving--we had to (quite literally) fatten her up before we took her to the shelter (and we had to take to her to the shelter, all  of our cats wanted to kill her). It took a little while to figure out why, even though the cat was starving, that the cat wasn't eating (we fed her the same mixture of wet and dry that our babies get). It turned out that she wouldn't  eat unless she was being physically touched (gently pet) at the same time she was eating. Sometimes I wonder what happened about the cat--but if you take a cat up to the local no-kill shelter and turn it over, you're not allowed to ask after it. 

My point is this--the cat needed  someone to not only find those things out, but to point them out to the shelter volunteers. You've made a record for this kitty so that even if you get dismissed as a volunteer, the other volunteers will know.

whatsername85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll have to check the play store for Sam, he likes trying to play whatever game I'm playing or really just batting at anything I'm doing. Too bad cats can't type because he can babble all day long and off and on at night

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, so AWM contacted Uber's insurance company for more information--and they have not responded. Does anyone have any other ideas?

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
artiemom artiemom I also believe you did the right thing. If you hadn't said anything, you would probably beat yourself up about it for the rest of your life. I'm so happy she has you to give her lots of love. Thank you.

margd

Veteran
Purraise

Okay, so AWM contacted Uber's insurance company for more information--and they have not responded. Does anyone have any other ideas?
Did she send a certified letter?  Also, some of it might just be the normal delay associated with dealing with a bureaucracy.  My experience with dealing with them via email is that it takes anywhere from two weeks to a month to get a reply.  However, the best thing she can probably do is to take advantage of the free first hour consultation with a lawyer to find out exactly what steps need to be taken.  And then it might be worth springing for that lawyer to write a letter to the appropriate office. 

Status
Not open for further replies.