Leaving My Cat Alone From Early Saturday Morning To Sunday Night

Elizabeth Loyevskiy

Armani
Kitten
Purraise
Hello guys!

I plan on visiting my SO's family this weekend which is a couple of hours away from my home. I have never left my Armani for longer than overnight without someone checking up on her. Unfortunately, my cat sitter that I trust will be out of town as well. I plan on leaving a food and water dispenser for her and kitty-proofing my apartment (locking cabinets, closing closet doors, unplugging my electronics, etc.).

My cat is like a child to me, so I worry about leaving her alone for so long without anybody coming in to check on her. She's typically very independent and doesn't require 24/7 attention, however she will climb into bed with me every night for a 10 minute petting session and return to her own bed.

Will she be okay for this long?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, there is no way to GUARANTEE she will be ok, but I think she should be fine. It's only two days. Of course, she will be lonely, and her litter box will fill up more than usual L(I'm guessing), but if she's got a food and water dispenser, she shouldn't lack for those items. You could leave out a "dirty" item of clothing on your bed so she has your scent to lay on. I even go so far as to build a body under the covers with pillows when we leave, even with a cat sitter coming in, because our guys like to snuggle up next to us when we sleep :rolleyes2:

pdgal9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, sounds like she should be just fine, but I agree about leaving something out that has your scent! As for the food dispensers, I'm assuming you already own one of those timed food dispensers. If not, they are a great investment to ensure your cat doesn't overeat and has food to last for the duration of your trip.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, leave a bath robe or shirt or something you wear often so kitty can have the comfort of your scent. Maybe leave the radio on softly as well. Maybe even an extra litter box just in case.

cindycrna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When our 2 girls were young , we would leave for up to 3 days. They hardly noticed we were gone! Lol Multiple water and food dishes, don't sweat it.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I just left my cat for about the same amount of time (left 10am Sat, returned after 2pm Sun) for the first time. I looked into getting a timed food dish but didn't find one locally & there was no time to wait for an order. I fed him in the morning as usual, and also left enough food for two more feedings. I put all the dry servings together in a larger ramekin than I usually use. I put an additional serving of the same flavor wet food I gave him in the morning in that same bowl & put out an additional bowl with a wet food flavor he doesn't like as much. He had plenty of water. He ate all the wet food that he likes, over 90% of the dry food & there was about 70-75% of the wet food he no longer cares for left when I returned. If I had been gone several more hours, I bet he would have eaten more of the other wet food.

I told him the day before & the day I left how long I was going to be gone and to make sure not to eat too much at once so his food lasts. I have no way of knowing if he did that, of course, but I swear he understands more than I give him credit for normally. I would leave him for two days again, but would make arrangements for longer than that going forward.

Maybe it's different if you have more than one cat. As much as he likes his alone time, I think he gets lonely when there is no one else there for extended periods of time.