Lanie is wasting away...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laniecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The beautiful boonies of the North Carolina coast.
Is the egg yolk lecithin a probiotic?  If not, then no, I don't have any.  I wasn't sure what additional supplements to buy so I decided to start with the raw and then add stuff once we got comfortable with the routine.  So, what do probiotics do, and what kind(s) should I get?

I'll be sure to have my fiance read your reply.  
  Before the next feeding...  He usually covers mornings.

Thanks, as always!  

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the egg yolk lecithin a probiotic?  If not, then no, I don't have any.  I wasn't sure what additional supplements to buy so I decided to start with the raw and then add stuff once we got comfortable with the routine.  So, what do probiotics do, and what kind(s) should I get?

I'll be sure to have my fiance read your reply.  :happy3:   Before the next feeding...  He usually covers mornings.

Thanks, as always!  :wavey:
No, a brobiotic is the good bacteria in the intestinal tract - very important when you are feeding raw :nod: and excellent for anyone's digestive system too - GREAT for Lanie, btw! You should give one capsule a day to both of them -

This is the one Laurie and I use: Natural Factors Probiotics

Just open the capsule and mix the content in the food :nod:

laniecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not much to report, but I thought I'd check in -

I ordered the probiotics 4 days ago, but unwisely chose Super Saver shipping on Amazon, so they won't be here for another week...  I can't remember the last time it took a purchase from Amazon so long just to process - they haven't even shipped yet!

Once I get it I'll carry the bottle into a store and see if I can find a substitute locally.  The kitties could have had it by now if I hadn't mucked up this order.  

I'm really counting on these probiotics to help Lily stomach the raw food better.  I was thrilled when Lanie got sooo much better on it... and then Lily starting puking...  

The vomiting is definitely due to the raw food.  I'm not sure what changed - she was doing fine with the last batch of chicken and most of the way through the turkey.  She just suddenly became intolerant to something about both raw foods.

We've been trying to mix the raw food in slowly.  I finally got her up to 2 tablespoons of raw mixed in per meal when she started vomiting again.  We've decided to take her back to canned food until the probiotics arrive.  What's so pitiful is that she still wants the raw food!  She hardly touches the can food.  I can't say I blame her, but I don't want her starving until we get the probiotics in.  

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not much to report, but I thought I'd check in -

I ordered the probiotics 4 days ago, but unwisely chose Super Saver shipping on Amazon, so they won't be here for another week...  I can't remember the last time it took a purchase from Amazon so long just to process - they haven't even shipped yet!
Once I get it I'll carry the bottle into a store and see if I can find a substitute locally.  The kitties could have had it by now if I hadn't mucked up this order.  :sniffle:

I'm really counting on these probiotics to help Lily stomach the raw food better.  I was thrilled when Lanie got sooo much better on it... and then Lily starting puking...  :frusty:

The vomiting is definitely due to the raw food.  I'm not sure what changed - she was doing fine with the last batch of chicken and most of the way through the turkey.  She just suddenly became intolerant to something about both raw foods.

We've been trying to mix the raw food in slowly.  I finally got her up to 2 tablespoons of raw mixed in per meal when she started vomiting again.  We've decided to take her back to canned food until the probiotics arrive.  What's so pitiful is that she still wants the raw food!  She hardly touches the can food.  I can't say I blame her, but I don't want her starving until we get the probiotics in.  :sigh:
Lauren, is there a point where she will be fine? For instance - 1 1/2 TBSP mixed on the wet? Will she eat happily and not throw up? You said she will throw up when you pass the 2TBSP.... What happens if you keep it under that amount?

I am thinking two things here - take a step back and stay a while on that level before moving on.... At least a week or even two....
And second option - Try another food and see what happens - I REALLY like Rad Cat. I don't know if you have access to RC, but that's something you might want to consider..... I am researching the kelp and catnip to see if this can be a culprit.... I will be back..... :wavey:

How is Lanie, btw? is she doing good? Have you weighed her again?

Last edited:

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lauren, have you tried Lily on fresh raw chicken, or have you only fed Darwin's chicken and turkey commercial products? It may not necessarily be "raw" that's causing the issue as much as a sensitivity to one or more of the ingredients in Darwin's products... especially since it appeared and became worse over time.

AC

southpaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just seeing this thread for the first time - yeah, your situation sure sounds identical to what I went through with Jinx, right up to the increase in hairballs once I put him on raw
(And for us, it's just been a matter of more frequent brushing to keep them at bay). Very glad to hear that you are seeing improvement and that she is gaining weight! Such an awesome feeling, I know!  Keep it up and let us know how it goes.

laniecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The probiotics finally came in (Yay!) so we're now mixing one capsule worth in each kitty's dish every day along with the egg lecithin for Lanie, since Lily doesn't have hairballs.  Lily is now back on one tablespoon of raw in her canned food, though she's still not eating much.  We've been making sure that she gets all the probiotics by putting out a small amount of wet food with the full capsule contents in it, then feeding the rest of the meal after she's eaten that small amount.  We'll be keeping her at one tablespoonful for a week, then trying one and a half and so on.  If the probiotics don't help with the vomiting I'll try out Rad Cat.  I'm kinda scared of feeding raw meat from a grocery store...

Lanie is doing very well.  Just one (massive) hairball recently.  She's still gaining weight and is eating well.  Raw has made her a very happy and healthy kitty!  :)

laniecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for taking so long to reply!  I had surgery last week (had my gallbladder out) and haven't felt like doing much posting, what with the pain pills and all.

Both Lanie and Lily are doing very well!  Lily's up to half and half raw/canned and not vomiting yet, so I'm hoping the probiotics are kicking in.

Will keep you more updated when I'm feeling a little better.  

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news on the kitty front, not so good news on yours. So glad your girls are doing well!

Sending many vibes for a quick and uncomplicated healing!

AC

laniecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for taking a ridiculous amount of time to get back to y'all.  I thought about making a new thread, but this one has a lot of information in it that is important and pertinent to the situation.

We've put Lily back on dry food - Blue Wilderness, until we find a better alternative - because she started to vomit constantly and just couldn't hold the raw food down.  She dug into the dry food and hasn't looked back.  Lanie is envious and won't eat her raw food until she's absolutely starving.

What we've been adding to the raw food:  Probiotics and egg lecithin.

Lanie is still on Darwin's raw food (chicken) but she still has massive hairballs constantly (despite brushing, which she's not a fan of) and doesn't eat even half of the recommended daily amounts.  She still vomits (mostly bile) a few times a week.  And I'd really thought she'd improved...

We've unfortunately deduced that raw/timed feeding is not practical for our household.  The price of raw food is killing me, and the need for timed feedings has all but put a stop to visiting my relatives that live three hours away, as we can't stay overnight.  I don't know what we'll do for Christmas.  We can't afford pay anyone to feed the cats so often, and my family would be incredulous if I even mentioned it.

Lanie has also developed serious attitude problems.  We think that because she can no longer control when she eats, she feels the need to control what she can;  she's bullying the kitten now, harassing us starting about two hours before each meal time, and has taken to peeing and pooping outside of the litter box.  Previously she would only pee outside the box when she had a UTI, but that is not the case this time.  The raw food is the only thing we've changed in the house (no changes with the litter box or litter) so I suspect that's what's made her decide to express her unhappiness with us.

As much as I hate it, I think we might have to return to dry food.  I've been looking for acceptable options and finally found one that doesn't appear to have any concerning ingredients (to my knowledge).  I'd like to run it by y'all, especially as there are no vets around here who deal with *healthy* cat food.  It contains venison, which I haven't yet tried for Lanie (and I hope won't cause her as many problems).  Here's the link:

http://www.petflow.com/product/ziwi-peak/ziwipeak-daily-cat-cuisine-venison-real-meat-dry-cat-food

Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks again for all of your help so far!  It's such a relief to know I have someone to turn to for these questions.

Lauren  
  Lanie  
  and Lily  

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry you've been having so many troubles. :hugs:

And I'm sorry, I don't remember if you were using digestive enzymes? Or just the probiotics and egg yolk lecithin?

Personally, I would try making home made cooked food vs going back to dry food. And frozen food (cooked or raw) can be left out to dethaw for kitty to eat later. Timed feeders with ice can be used also.

And don't forget, even if you use kibble, you can still offer several meals a day of canned food or cooked homemade food, or raw food.

I suspect it's an ingredient in the Darwin's that's bothering her. Have you tried offering her plain chicken meat to see? Have you tried cooking it to see?

But if you're going to use dry food, the Ziwipeak air dried raw is a good choice. I don't know if there are ingredients in it that may bother her though. :dk:

Vibes for you and your girls! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: