Lanie is wasting away...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laniecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The beautiful boonies of the North Carolina coast.
Thanks for all the vibes and well-wishes!!!

RunningWolf, that is a problem for many regurgitating cats - one of my past cats, Lexi, had that problem and I had to put obstacles in her dish to slow her eating - but Lanie is a slow grazer.  She's always eaten her kibble piece by piece and that hasn't changed since switching food types.  Thanks for the suggestion though!  

And, yes!  The raw food arrived yesterday and I am very excited.  I had switched them to canned food over the past week (still Blue Wilderness, as that was the best option I could find at PetSmart on short notice).  Lanie has been on can food before and recognized the sound of the can opening (so now, once again, every can that opens in the house is for the kitties... or so they think!).  Lily hadn't had canned since she was weaned from milk to canned to solid food by the lady I adopted her from, but both of them dug in like it was the best meal they'd ever had, and completely ignored the dry food.

When the raw food arrived I was a bit anxious, but I experimentally placed some in their bowls next to the wet food...  Lily (my little carnivore!) completely ignored the canned Blue, dug in to the raw food and hasn't looked back!  Lanie ignored the raw, but I've started mixing the two together and she's eating that just fine.  Soon I'll start decreasing the amount of can food that's in the mix and see how that goes.

Lanie did end up throwing up a day or two before I switched to the wet food, on that Science Diet Z/D, so at least I know that the hypoallergenic dry food wasn't helpful.

For now I'm starting with Darwin's raw chicken, as chicken seems to be their favorite flavor among dry foods.  I also have turkey, which I'll switch to after I know whether or not the raw chicken causes vomiting.  I don't want to start interspersing them yet and not know which meat might be the culprit if she throws up again.  If she vomits on chicken and turkey I'll try a rarer meat such as rabbit or deer.  At least, that's my plan.  I was worried that I was getting way too far ahead of myself, but their seemingly easy transition (so far!) to the raw food is encouraging!

Thanks again for all the support!!!

Lauren, Lanie, and Lily

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:banana1::banana2::woohoo::woohoo::banana2::banana1:

:blobpurpl :blobpurpl :blobpurpl :blobpurpl :blobpurpl :blobpurpl :blobpurpl :blobpurpl :blobpurpl :blobpurpl :blobpurpl :blobpurpl :blobpurpl​

ivycats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so glad to read this! Lanie's symptoms mirror so perfectly what caused the death of both my first babies... I was very young, naive, and my vet radiated lack of interest or concern, offering no alternative plans when the blood work came back "fine". I made the biggest mistake of my life, and I let them go...

Reading how you're working so hard to save Lanie, it's like I'm getting a second chance through your eyes. You're doing what I wish I had done so many years ago. Just don't give up on her, even if food isn't the answer, don't give up! We'll stay with you every step of the way, so no matter what in the end Lanie will get better! *HUGS*

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Lauren, Just curious how things are going!
Remember to go slowly..... and of course, remember to keep us posted!
Introducing one meat at a time is always best..... Slowly introduce the first meat.... Then use that one as a base to introduce the second one, by mixing a bit of the new one in and slowly increasing until you get to feed 100% of the new one.
The key for kitties with digestive problems is a slow transition - just follow their lead and keep going.
Don't give up on the meat because she threw up once - throwing up when introducing raw CAN happen for different reasons than IBD, food intolerance, etc.
In the beginning specially, if they go too long without eating, they can have acid build up for example, and that can cause vomit. Nothing serious.... Just wait a bit and feed another meal.
To prevent that, if you know you are going to be late, feed her a treat of freeze dry chicken, for example 15 minutes or so before the meal, and that will help.
Their systems eventually adjust to the acid production, and that becomes a rarer occasion - don't worry.....
Anyways...... Just wanted to know how things are going with your girl - hope all is well! :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And, yes!  The raw food arrived yesterday and I am very excited.  I had switched them to canned food over the past week (still Blue Wilderness, as that was the best option I could find at PetSmart on short notice).  Lanie has been on can food before and recognized the sound of the can opening (so now, once again, every can that opens in the house is for the kitties... or so they think!).  Lily hadn't had canned since she was weaned from milk to canned to solid food by the lady I adopted her from, but both of them dug in like it was the best meal they'd ever had, and completely ignored the dry food.
:lol3: That is GREAT! I'm so glad they're at least making THAT part easy! :clap:

When the raw food arrived I was a bit anxious, but I experimentally placed some in their bowls next to the wet food...  Lily (my little carnivore!) completely ignored the canned Blue, dug in to the raw food and hasn't looked back!  Lanie ignored the raw, but I've started mixing the two together and she's eating that just fine.  Soon I'll start decreasing the amount of can food that's in the mix and see how that goes.
Yep, I think that very first time we offer raw, we're ALL a bit anxious! I sure was. :)

I was worried that I was getting way too far ahead of myself, but their seemingly easy transition (so far!) to the raw food is encouraging!
Oh I hope it remains that easy! For some, it is! For others.... well, we'll be here for ideas and support if that's the case. :D

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
.  I was worried that I was getting way too far ahead of myself, but their seemingly easy transition (so far!) to the raw food is encouraging!
WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: You just have to dive in and take the plunge and hope that their inner carnivore comes to life!!! :lol3: GO LILY!!!! And I hope that Lanie will do well on the Darwin's chicken. Let us know :D :clap::clap::clap: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

laniecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lanie's eating RAWWWWW!!!!  After a couple of days of mixing she started picking out just the raw and turning her nose up at the Blue canned food!  I'm so psyched!  Now both my cats are the carnivores they were meant to be!

And the best news?  No vomiting!!!  A definite increase in hairballs (once Lanie's stable on the raw food and not vomiting I'll look up some safe hairball remedies if this continues), but thankfully no puking "noises," just coughing when the hairballs come.

Thanks sooooo much everyone who's contributed to this post.  You may have saved my baby's life...

Love,

Lauren, Lanie, and Lily

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

YEY!!!!! That's what I LIVE AND LOVE TO HEAR! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Ok, hun here you go - An awesome, all natural, easy peasy remedy for hairballs: Egg Lecithin

Put 1/2 capsule twice a week on the top of their food - they will love it, and it will keep them hairballs free :nod:

Just make sure to keep the bottle on in the fridge after opened :wavey:

Congrats, and welcome to the fantastic world of a healthy RAW life for your babies!! :hugs: :clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:

laniecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I was worried two nights ago when she threw up three times (with actual vomiting sounds, not the hairball cough), but she didn't appear to have thrown up any food like she used to.  Rather, there were large clumps of hair on the floor (yummy).  Since then, no more throwing up... crossing my fingers.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:sweat:
Whew! Oh those darn hairballs! :wife:!
Lauren, did you see my post about egg lecithin? It really works..... and Kitties love it :nod:

Hope Lanie gets all better, including from hairballs soon!!! :wavey:

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Whew! Oh those darn hairballs!
!
Lauren, did you see my post about egg lecithin? It really works..... and Kitties love it

Hope Lanie gets all better, including from hairballs soon!!!
What about this makes it work so well?  I don't have a huge hairball problem but they come in phases.  Just curious how this works.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lecithin is used as an emulsifier, and it aids in digestion of fat (it also helps with uptake of omega 3s, actually). The hair that gets bound up in the stomach is bound up with fat (a hairball is usually about 50% fat and 50% hair). The egg yolk lecithin helps "digest" and emulsify the hair in the stomach, making it easier to pass out the other end.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lecithin is used as an emulsifier, and it aids in digestion of fat (it also helps with uptake of omega 3s, actually). The hair that gets bound up in the stomach is bound up with fat (a hairball is usually about 50% fat and 50% hair). The egg yolk lecithin helps "digest" and emulsify the hair in the stomach, making it easier to pass out the other end.
Almost.... It actually emulsifies the fat that bonds the hairball tight - so the hairball essentially breaks apart and passes through the digestive system.....

laniecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
More vomiting, I'm afraid, but still only bile and hair.  I ordered the [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]egg lecithin that you recommended and am still waiting for it to arrive.[/color]

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Lanie is acting like she feels better - she's playing more.  Now that the carnivore in her is coming out, though, she's bullying Lily away from her food and sleeping place.  Blegh.  Kitty wars of will.  We'll get things worked out though.[/color]

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I'll let y'all know how the [/color][color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]egg lecithin works when we get it in!  Thanks![/color]

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, all the vomiting is not vomiting really..... as she IS keeping food down, right? She is just throwing up hairballs at this point?
How often is she throwing up hairballs?

laniecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right, she is keeping all her food down now that she's on raw.  It's so reassuring to not find little piles of undigested food lying on the carpet every morning.  Unfortunately I'm still hearing vomiting noises at least once a night, up to three times a night, and in the morning I find patches of bile on the carpet, usually accompanied by a hair ball ranging in diameter from dime-size to quarter-size.  The largest one I have trouble imagining coming out of my little cat (not that I find it particularly appealing to try).  I hope this [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]egg lecithin stuff comes in and takes effect soon![/color]