Krista's Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just keep in mind that many antibiotics cause diarrhea, so you may be back to square one once you start the Vflox :frown:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m aware of this. I am cutting back the Gflex to half the dose and I’m going to try to administer the vflox within the only pumpkin she will eat: Tiki Cat Tuna with Pumpkin. Probiotics will be given in a separate meal.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even at half the Gflex dose, we still had a poop and soup situation. I’m going to skip the Gflex today and see what effect the Veraflox is going to have.

Speaking of the Veraflox, that was so easy! I mixed it into an ounce of Tiki Cat Tuna with Pumpkin and got zero resisitance. At least the first day, I don’t have to bag her and gag her.

She’s also going to finish a turkey portion that I folded the last few bites of the tuna into. I’m pretty sure she already ate the medicine by then but why waste a food she enjoys? Except the rest of the tuna pouch because she loves that stuff fresh. I’m willing to do that for her for a week’s worth of medicine.

And speaking of food, we finished the Rawz turkey and had to rotate to rabbit yesterday. Well, it was apparent the rabbit wasn’t as much a hit as the turkey. On my lunch hour, I drove across town to find her another stack of turkey. We finished out the rabbit can rather grudgingly. The last rabbit portion took her several hours to finish. The first turkey portion was finished in the same feeding session as it went down. (~20-30 minutes because she feeds, hunts for fish flakes, maybe uses the bathroom, then comes back and eats some more.). Clearly turkey is still her jam. I have duck ordered in two of the stores. We’ll rotate between turkey and duck and keep the rabbit to weather out supply issues on the birds.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's making life so easy today. Emboldened by our antibiotic success, I dumped a probiotic (Proviable) into her next feeding. She proceeded to finish that portion too. She's eating the turkey like she's afraid it will go out of rotation again.
:petcat:
"As long as you are this excited about the turkey and duck, I will keep plating one portion after another."
:clapcat:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She even wants to spend the morning with me in the office so I don’t have to check in on her. (“How are the -biotics treating you?”) She looks comfortable. :)
91A8612F-58B0-48F5-87EC-A200356EDE3F.jpeg

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So glad she's lapping up her meds and you don't have to "bag" her. Certainly makes life easier that way.

Oddly enough, neither of my cats like rabbit either. I served it up the other day, and Darko absolutely refused to touch it. And he's my little pudge. I left it for quite awhile and finally decided he would rather starve than eat it, so tossed it and gave him something else.

Hey, how's Krista's eye and ataxia? Getting better by the day?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She used to love rabbit. I think she just likes the birds more. She'll still eat the rabbit. But not with the same eagerness and joy.

The ataxia is almost undetectable. Occasionally she can still shake herself off her feet. But other than that, she's making all her jumps now. I think the GlycoFlex had something to do with that too. I hope when we're done with the antibiotics, I can restart the Gflex without souping her poop again. Maybe we just build up to the loading dose like we had to do with egg yolk powder. The eye is still noticeable if you know to look for it. The third eyelid isn't up as often but there is still a difference in pupil contraction. Her ear is still bothering her. Obviously, or we wouldn't be doing antibiotics. We're in the long stretch of recovery where the daily improvement isn't as noticeable. But yes, she is improving.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you start the Glyco Flex as they recommended - 2 chews daily for the first 4-6 weeks? I refused to do that and only gave Feeby one a day from the get-go - even if she is 18 lbs. I was just worried about 2 chews being too much...

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did start her on two daily chews. I powdered up a chew and mixed it into her last breakfast and first dinner. This would explain why she would go dead to the world for hours on end after each meal. Her stomach was churning. She was also a touch gassy so I don't mind if she hides under the bookcase or in the office after those meals. I will give her a break from the Gflex this week while she's on the antibiotics. Once her poops stabilize after a week of antibiotics, I can start her on 1 chew daily and see if that makes a difference one way or another.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So glad her ataxia is better. Once her ear is better, hopefully her eye will also be fully back to normal.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh poor girl. The -biotics are upsetting her stomach. I don't know if she's going to barf but she's mulling it over. I think tomorrow I don't try to chase the antibiotic with a probiotic meal so quickly (about two hours apart.) This is why I don't like to dose-and-dash when I start her on new medicine. Tomorrow maybe I make the antibiotic meal the last meal for the morning. She can take her probiotic with first dinner.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New strategy. Offer the antibiotics with her regular food portion tomorrow morning. Offer the probiotic with regular dinner portion. Save the pumpkin for some treat portion that doesn't have either meds. What I was just reading was that fiber can reduce or slow the absorption of medicine so I'll keep the pumpkin separate from either -biotic.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a cat who doesn't stay nauseated for very long. I got up to change out my coffee and she followed me to the kitchen to assure me several times over that she was ready for another portion. I put down a half portion. She can have the last half portion in the can in another hour or so. I'll be switching venues soon anyway. She could use some time without me to digest before we begin her nighttime feeding shift. I'm really quite surprised with how much food she's putting away during her off-peak eating hours.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just noticed that while she doesn't walk like a cowboy anymore, there's still a little hitch in her get-a-long. She's got a more sassy gait these days.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a wild Poopfoot on the loose! I think she managed most of it and I did a quick wet wipe on her. I got a sense of her heft restoring when I had to lift her for the wipe. Proud of her!

I’m hoping the -biotics poops get better over the next few days. Or that they don’t get worse. Here’s also hoping we can avoid future Poopfoot sightings.

One or two more cat naps before her next dose.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mixed it into too much food. Luckily she’s got at least another meal in her before her daytime sleep shift begins. I believe she’s already eaten the antibiotic by now. I didn’t fold it too deep or mix it too broad. But I did put too much food on the plate and I won’t be certain until she finishes the plate. We have five more days to figure out the best way to dose her.

Status
Not open for further replies.