Kitty Will Not Eat, Feeling Hopeless

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Annessa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Immediately after the treats? Was she checked for food poisoning?
No, she wasn't. They were freeze dried salmon treats. The only ingredient being salmon. My other cat ate some too and didn't get sick. Maybe she did get food poisoning but I think if it was that it would have passed after she threw up, wouldn't it? I should also mention everytime she threw up it was just liquid.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
No, she wasn't. They were freeze dried salmon treats. The only ingredient being salmon. My other cat ate some too and didn't get sick. Maybe she did get food poisoning but I think if it was that it would have passed after she threw up, wouldn't it? I should also mention everytime she threw up it was just liquid.
Meat is the most common bad bacteria item. And salmonella or whatever could be in one bite and not the others.

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try offering food by hand...no matter how sloppy. Are you able to get the appetite stimulant in her at all?

Annessa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try offering food by hand...no matter how sloppy. Are you able to get the appetite stimulant in her at all?
yes, last night i was able to get her to take the mirzatapine but it was pretty difficult my roommate had to wrap her in a towel and i don't think it had much effect on her appetite anyway..

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Is it liquid or pill? If a pill, a compounding pharmacy should be able to turn it into a liquid pretty cheap.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Anessa - We're maybe going through the same thing here.

One of our 2 cats (sisters, both 8 yrs, 100% indoor house cats) suddenly (and I mean suddenly!) stopped eating or drinking anything at all. Went from playful and people-friendly to hiding from everyone in dark, warm corners. Occasionally she would throw up (mostly foam - but what do you expect form an empty stomach?), drool and make strange smacking noises - and then hide again.

Day 1 we watched,

Day 2 we worried.

Day 3 we went to the Vet. Rehydrated with a subcutaneous saline injection, antibiotics, a pain killer... took her home with the story "keep her food away for an hour so the meds can work." Nothing. No food, no drink.

Day 4 full lab - blood fine, liver fine, kidneys fine, no bumps or swelling of lymph nodes, no fever..
By all lab results: a healthy cat that simply refuses food and/or drink for some unexplainable reason.
More injections, started force feeding her a very watered down high nutrient powder food from the Vet. She did not like being force fed, but kept for down. But no return of appetite or thirst at all.

Day 5 recheck for any lumps, bumps or sensitive areas around the tummy (nothing), still no fever. Decision to take her to the larger clinic for X-rays and ultrasound. Three minutes later we had a doctor telling us her stomach and intestines were filled with gas - intestinal peristalsis not functioning properly - something wrong there, they need to open her up immediately. Two hours later: call form operation doctor - degassed, rinsed out - and the peristalsis returned to normal within minutes. The drooling and the smacking noises (and the foam she threw up) were from gas going back up the oesophagus because peristaltic push to other end wasn't working .. Reflux, as we humans would call it. That burned her oesophagus and made her lose any appetite for swallowing anything. But the real find (drumroll....): Despite her lab results (incl. pancreatic tests) showed up fine, her pancreas was huge swollen and bright red - ready to give up at any time. How and if these 2 are related is unclear to me, but we now have something to treat...

Day 6 is tomorrow morning, when we pick her up form the clinic. She's getting a tube set to feed her through for the next 7-8 days: this will also make administering medicine easier.

Hoping for the best now - we almost lost her ...
She went from hopping, happy and healthy to critical in 48 hours!
Do not watch and wait: they are family!
Up

Annessa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Anessa - We're maybe going through the same thing here.

One of our 2 cats (sisters, both 8 yrs, 100% indoor house cats) suddenly (and I mean suddenly!) stopped eating or drinking anything at all. Went from playful and people-friendly to hiding from everyone in dark, warm corners. Occasionally she would throw up (mostly foam - but what do you expect form an empty stomach?), drool and make strange smacking noises - and then hide again.

Day 1 we watched,

Day 2 we worried.

Day 3 we went to the Vet. Rehydrated with a subcutaneous saline injection, antibiotics, a pain killer... took her home with the story "keep her food away for an hour so the meds can work." Nothing. No food, no drink.

Day 4 full lab - blood fine, liver fine, kidneys fine, no bumps or swelling of lymph nodes, no fever..
By all lab results: a healthy cat that simply refuses food and/or drink for some unexplainable reason.
More injections, started force feeding her a very watered down high nutrient powder food from the Vet. She did not like being force fed, but kept for down. But no return of appetite or thirst at all.

Day 5 recheck for any lumps, bumps or sensitive areas around the tummy (nothing), still no fever. Decision to take her to the larger clinic for X-rays and ultrasound. Three minutes later we had a doctor telling us her stomach and intestines were filled with gas - intestinal peristalsis not functioning properly - something wrong there, they need to open her up immediately. Two hours later: call form operation doctor - degassed, rinsed out - and the peristalsis returned to normal within minutes. The drooling and the smacking noises (and the foam she threw up) were from gas going back up the oesophagus because peristaltic push to other end wasn't working .. Reflux, as we humans would call it. That burned her oesophagus and made her lose any appetite for swallowing anything. But the real find (drumroll....): Despite her lab results (incl. pancreatic tests) showed up fine, her pancreas was huge swollen and bright red - ready to give up at any time. How and if these 2 are related is unclear to me, but we now have something to treat...

Day 6 is tomorrow morning, when we pick her up form the clinic. She's getting a tube set to feed her through for the next 7-8 days: this will also make administering medicine easier.

Hoping for the best now - we almost lost her ...
She went from hopping, happy and healthy to critical in 48 hours!
Do not watch and wait: they are family!
the vet did say he noticed some gas in her stomach on the x-ray. and she has similar symptoms with vomitting up foam. maybe she has the same thing..

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the vet did say he noticed some gas in her stomach on the x-ray. and she has similar symptoms with vomitting up foam. maybe she has the same thing..
If she does, she must be in extreme pain. I’d suggest that if she isn’t doing better tomorrow morning, you should rush her either to your vet or to an emergency hospital. It costs money, but it’s better than the alternative. If it’s already happened, she might have chronic issues.

Annessa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she does, she must be in extreme pain. I’d suggest that if she isn’t doing better tomorrow morning, you should rush her either to your vet or to an emergency hospital. It costs money, but it’s better than the alternative. If it’s already happened, she might have chronic issues.
yeah.. i'm planning to take her to the vet tomorrow if this doesn't start improving.. she's sleeping in her carrier now. i'm going to try to assist feed her again right now and then before i go to bed try to give antibiotics again.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yeah.. i'm planning to take her to the vet tomorrow if this doesn't start improving.. she's sleeping in her carrier now. i'm going to try to assist feed her again right now and then before i go to bed try to give antibiotics again.
Maybe just stick to water for now. If she has gas, adding food to her system to process can only do more harm IMO

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
If it's any reassurance, gas in the gastrointestinal system isn't always serious. Several years ago one night Montressor cried out in pain when his sides were touched. I took him to the vet the next day, it was because his intestines were filled with air. The vet showed me the x-rays, black air pockets everywhere, and said he simply needed to fart. Once all that air moved out he was fine.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe set your alarm to wake up in the middle of the night and give her more water.

Annessa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe set your alarm to wake up in the middle of the night and give her more water.
she drank A LOT of water today. she is also feeling more perky right now. She is acting very curious at the moment. i tried giving her antibiotics but they just ended up all over the bed again. i also spread wet food all over her paws and chest and face and she's licking it off now. so it's good she's eating a little bit at least