Kitty Does Not Like To Be Brushed/groomed (or Petted)

petercotton

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty just turned 1. I have had her since she was 8 weeks old and tried to introduce being brushed into her routine from the day I got her. However, she has never liked to be petted or groomed. I am fairly certain she has hyperesthesia because if you rub/touch her anywhere on her back her skin/fur ripples like crazy. She may tolerate 2 quick pets down the back and then she runs away. As you can imagine, brushing her is next to impossible.

This week I have noticed that she has a small mat under two of her "armpits". I have tried brushing her to see if I can get them out. This is met with growling and hissing. I have two different slicker brushes that each do a good job when I am actually able to get her to sit still for a few seconds. She is not allowing me to get to the mats though.

She is very fastidious with her cleaning and grooming as you can see from the picture I have included. I knew her fur looks wild, but except for those two mats it is all good. I would love to be able to get her to accept being brushed regularly so I could help her keep her coat better. Any suggestions as to how to proceed?

IMG_20170921_163533-01.jpeg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It might be wise to find a professional cat groomer and set up appointments as needed. It would cut down on the stress level for you and your cat to have someone else take care of it fully in one sitting.